Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sears is closing stores

+2
knothead
2seaoat
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Sears is closing stores Empty Sears is closing stores 12/4/2014, 5:55 pm

2seaoat

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/inside-the-ticker/sears-to-accelerate-closings-shutter-235-stores/ar-BBgl3d4

I remember as a kid going to a Sears store with my father who I had asked to get a net to catch tadpoles. I remember that day with him shopping for that net on my 63 birthday because he died that Monday and my ten year old life was forever changed. Like life Sears was faced with the once near monopoly of merging of catalog sales and thousands of retail outlets which carried everything which evolved to a dog eat dog modern internet driven economy. The one shop fits all retail giant just lost its relevance. I remember the Kenmore brand, and the craftsman brand, but their clothing became years to slow to respond to fashion, and one shop store was overwhelmed by Walmart. A sad day in America happens when this retailer disappears. They actually sold house kits in their early days. I have many a fond memory of being in a Sears store as a child.

2Sears is closing stores Empty Re: Sears is closing stores 12/4/2014, 6:09 pm

I try to shop there when I need tools, jeans, pans, appliances... etc. They still have quality stuff... worth paying more for.

3Sears is closing stores Empty Re: Sears is closing stores 12/4/2014, 6:43 pm

2seaoat

I still have craftsman tools from when I was 16, and we used to keep a Kenmore washer and dryer for at least 15 years. We would order parts for the dryer and actually fix them. What a great quality machine. Today if we get ten years on an appliance it is considered great.

4Sears is closing stores Empty Re: Sears is closing stores 12/4/2014, 8:08 pm

knothead

knothead

Mr. Oats, your post recalling the Sears of yesteryear caused me to think back many years ago when I was allowed to pick out ONE THING out of the Sears catalog . . . I was probably between 4 and 7, hell I went for the Roy Rogers outfit . . . two guns, spurs, hat, and vest. My brother and I would receive from Santa Claus a stocking with a big peppermint stick, a couple of apples, an orange and we were thrilled! How times have changed!~

5Sears is closing stores Empty Re: Sears is closing stores 12/4/2014, 8:44 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Times have changed, for sure. One day you will see Walmart doing the same.

Corporations must evolve with the trends of the day, or die a slow and painful death. Who needs a Pickett slide-rule in these modern times?

I will say that I love the way Sears is layed out. I don't shop there often, but it has a quality not seen in more modern retail establishments.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

6Sears is closing stores Empty Re: Sears is closing stores 12/4/2014, 9:01 pm

Sal

Sal

My great uncle returned from Europe after WWII and took a job as an appliance salesman at Sears.

He bought a very nice home in a great neighborhood, put two girls through college, and secured a nice retirement on his income.

His wife never worked a day with the exception of volunteering at the VA.

Different world? ...

... uh, yeah.

7Sears is closing stores Empty Re: Sears is closing stores 12/4/2014, 11:27 pm

2seaoat

My great uncle returned from Europe after WWII and took a job as an appliance salesman at Sears.

My first scoutmaster worked at Sears and he made it a career. They had a very generous employee stock plan and many an employee had a great retirement with their retirement plan. I knew a lady who was a top buyer who traveled Asia for sourcing. She made a six figure salary for years and had a great pension. I just do not remember when the catalog became extinct, but certainly the internet hastened the same. For Rural America the catalog brought excitement upon delivery. It served as a window of opportunity and a great source of toliet paper for the out house.

8Sears is closing stores Empty Re: Sears is closing stores 12/6/2014, 7:18 pm

Markle

Markle

Sal wrote:My great uncle returned from Europe after WWII and took a job as an appliance salesman at Sears.

He bought a very nice home in a great neighborhood, put two girls through college, and secured a nice retirement on his income.

His wife never worked a day with the exception of volunteering at the VA.

Different world? ...

... uh, yeah.

Yes indeed. Appliance sales people were and are paid on COMMISSION. You know, CAPITALISM! The better you are at your job and the harder you work, the more money you EARN. Wow...WHAT A CONCEPT!

9Sears is closing stores Empty Re: Sears is closing stores 12/6/2014, 7:24 pm

Markle

Markle

My Ol' Man was a mechanic all his life. He'd always buy Craftsman hand tools. They were guaranteed for life. He'd save up the broken ones, which didn't happen often, and trade them for new ones, no questions asked. Some always got lost so there was always new purchases at the same time so everyone came out fine.

10Sears is closing stores Empty Re: Sears is closing stores 12/6/2014, 7:49 pm

Yep... I bought my daughter a full set of craftsmen tools last christmas. She's really enjoyed learning how to work on her car... it's been something cool that I could do with her. I didn't expect her to embrace it like this... she even helps out friends now.

I didn't think this generation enjoyed cars like ours did... but maybe they just weren't exposed to it like we were.

11Sears is closing stores Empty Re: Sears is closing stores 12/6/2014, 7:54 pm

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Today's cars are more like artificial intelligence than Plugs and points like we had......

12Sears is closing stores Empty Re: Sears is closing stores 12/6/2014, 7:58 pm

2seaoat

I didn't think this generation enjoyed cars like ours did... but maybe they just weren't exposed to it like we were.

Partially true, but the design of the engine compartments make it very difficult for owners to work on their cars. Just the replacement of a battery requires multiple actions before you even get to the battery. My first 1961 ford falcon, I could stand in the engine compartment and easily remove water pumps, radiators, generators. However, the electrical systems in cars today are very complex. The old falcon had a manual choke, and today, I do not know any competent handyman/mechanic who is fooling with their carbs. I was sixteen using all craftman tools when I put new fenders, bumper, water pump, and radiator on that 50 buck falcon, and I drove it for two years without a problem. The other thing is that cars are far more reliable today, with very tight tolerances and little wiggle room.

13Sears is closing stores Empty Re: Sears is closing stores 12/6/2014, 8:04 pm

True... but she knows how to change her brakes, belt, alternator, battery, mass air flow sensor, air filter, plugs, wires, and oil so far.

Not too bad for a college kid.

14Sears is closing stores Empty Re: Sears is closing stores 12/6/2014, 8:05 pm

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

PkrBum wrote:True... but she knows how to change her brakes, belt, alternator, battery, mass air flow sensor, air filter, plugs, wires, and oil so far.

Not too bad for a college kid.
Good job dad....she will be ready for the apocalypse unless it's an EMP..LOL

15Sears is closing stores Empty Re: Sears is closing stores 12/6/2014, 8:13 pm

2seaoat

I have not done a brake job in twenty five years, and would be very cautious with all the sensors they have today. I think it is great to have a daughter who is not intimidated by mechanical issues. My daughter was just smarter than me when I had her helping me with mechanical things.......she would hand me the wrong tool, take something off she was not suppose to.....and after I barked she smiled.......she knew she could outlast my patience and she could go back to playing. My son had this scary ability to take anything apart and put it back together. I love watching him remodel his house, as he just figures everything out and is very precise. He would take ten minutes planning and five minutes working and get it done in 15 minutes. I would take two minutes planning and a half hour to get it done.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum