Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

I've discovered something unique about the place we live in.

+3
RealLindaL
Joanimaroni
Hospital Bob
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:People in the County do not want to associate with folks who have birdseed back yards.  In Tally, Mr. Markle puts real grass seed in his back yard, so birds of a feather flock together.

I love how I'm living rent free in your mind. Thanks for the free housing.

As you know 2seaoat, in our area centipede or St. Augustine grass make up 99% of residential lawns. A few use rye grass in the winter since both the others turn brown.

I used rye grass on the lawn of the first house we bought 40 years ago. NEVER again. It looked GREAT over our winter here in Leon County. Problem was I had to mow all winter and come spring and into summer, you could almost see it growing. If I missed a week mowing, the grass was so tall and so full of water I had to mow it twice. Once at the highest blade lever and then at a reasonable blade lever.

Since then, in any houses I have landscaped I've hired a landscape architect and used a lot of ground cover which never needs mowing and always looks great.

Markle

Markle

Bob wrote:
Salinsky wrote:
Bob wrote:

As far as I can determine,  and I've compared this to just about every other American city,  the size of our city in relation to it's metro population,  is smaller than any other city.
The ratio of 9 people living in the suburbs to every one person living inside the city,  is the greatest ratio of city to suburb population in the country.

Right.

So, the ratio in Tampa is more than 12 to 1, and they're actually underestimating the size of the Tampa metropolitan area in my opinion.

Your SMSA has three core cities in it,  Tampa,  St. Pete and Clearwater with a combined population of about 600,000.

Ours has only one and it's population is 55,000.

I still don't get the point of this thread. Why is the population number relevant for the size of Pensacola?

2seaoat

the grass was so tall and so full of water I had to mow it twice. Once at the highest blade lever and then at a reasonable blade lever

Unfortunately I am building grass roads, which require that I build a base of red clay and a sand mix which I then cover with light cover of the original organic soil and then seed the same in a rye to make sure my red clay base does not erode, and then I compact the same after about 21 days which allows the rye to germinate. I hoped to be doing that Friday, but health issues will have me in Illinois a little longer than I wanted and I will be limited on what I can do but you are correct, the right choice of grass is important, but I needed to get the base protected from erosion during the first phase of the project I am working on. I have a soil conditioner attachment which will allow me to use the bobcat to overseed some areas and reseed with a proper grass seed for my application after I talk to landscape people like you suggested.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Markle wrote:
I still don't get the point of this thread.  Why is the population number relevant for the size of Pensacola?

The point of the thread was that Pensacola is unusual in that almost 90% of it's metro population is outside the city limits.
What is so difficult to grasp about that.  lol

Bob wrote:
Markle wrote:
I still don't get the point of this thread.  Why is the population number relevant for the size of Pensacola?

The point of the thread was that Pensacola is unusual in that almost 90% of it's metro population is outside the city limits.

Isn't it true that the city of Pensacola expands into the county, annexes, when the county grows commercially? I'm thinking the airport, Cordova Mall, and University Mall areas were county that became Pensacola city proper after their commercial existence.

Could be wrong.

I remember my Dad saying that the ruination of the Brownsville shopping area, which thrived in the 40s and 50s, was taken into the city limits.

Maybe I'm on the wrong track here. I'll never see Escambia County as "metro" but only "retro." Laughing

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

SheWrites wrote:
Bob wrote:
Markle wrote:

Isn't it true that the city of Pensacola expands into the county, annexes, when the county grows commercially?  I'm thinking the airport, Cordova Mall, and University Mall areas were county that became Pensacola city proper after their commercial existence.  

Could be wrong.  

I remember my Dad saying that the ruination of the Brownsville shopping area, which thrived in the 40s and 50s, was taken into the city limits.  

Maybe I'm on the wrong track here.  I'll never see Escambia County as "metro" but only "retro."  Laughing  

Yes,  many decades ago the city did do some annexation.  But notice,  the city's population has not changed since 1960 and now,  50 years later (after that annexation),  is actually slightly smaller in population than it was back then.
BUT,  the county population has been growing ever since.
That's not what is unique to Pensacola because there are many example of cities which have not grown in population while the surrounding areas have.  Although you won't find that anywhere else in Florida.  That is usually the case with cities in the northeast and midwest.

However,  it's the population ratio between the small core city of Pensacola and it's surrounding area which is unique.  You will not find another city in the U.S. with a population of only about 50,000 which has a metro population of 460,000. 

I'm not arguing the merits or demerits of annexation.  Just observing how we're a really small city with a uniquely large surrounding unincorporated population.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Earlier in the thread,  I compared Pensacola to Mobile,  but let's now compare us to another neighboring city,  Montgomery,  AL.

The city of Montgomery has a population of 205,000 (four times the population of the city of Pensacola).  BUT it's metro population is actually smaller than ours at 375,000.

Another neighboring city is Dothan,  AL with a population even greater (65,000) than Pensacola. 
But it's metro population (145,000) is only one third the size of ours.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Bob wrote:
Markle wrote:

I see your point, Bob. I wondered about that when I first came here and started working, first in development and then in real estate. It does seem that there's extreme reluctance to annexation.

Markle

Markle

Bob wrote:
Markle wrote:

So what?

If they are outside the city limits, they are, not metropolitan residents.

Obviously the city of Pensacola has nothing to offer areas they wish to annex for the additional taxes.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Markle wrote:

If they are outside the city limits, they are not metropolitan residents.

Mr. markle,  I could understand how someone could write such an incorrect statement as that.  But it's really hard for me to imagine someone in the real estate business doing it.

Markle

Markle

Bob wrote:
Markle wrote:

If they are outside the city limits, they are not metropolitan residents.

Mr. markle,  I could understand how someone could write such an incorrect statement as that.  But it's really hard for me to imagine someone in the real estate business doing it.

I understand your point.  It is just that I have been to Pensacola numerous times and never thought of it as a "metropolitan" area. Just as I don't think of Tallahassee as a metropolitan area.

I still say these people are not voting to be annexed into the city because there is nothing the city offers other than higher taxes.

2seaoat

I still say these people are not voting to be annexed into the city because there is nothing the city offers other than higher taxes.

Or..........do I even have to say it......

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Markle wrote:  It is just that I have been to Pensacola numerous times and never thought of it as a "metropolitan" area.  Just as I don't think of Tallahassee as a metropolitan area.  

A metropolitan area of a city consists of both the city (or cities) and the population surrounding the city (or cities).
Both Pensacola and Tallahassee are cities with metropolitan areas.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Floridatexan wrote:
Bob wrote:
Markle wrote:

I see your point, Bob.  I wondered about that when I first came here and started working, first in development and then in real estate.  It does seem that there's extreme reluctance to annexation.  

Who would lose control?

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

2seaoat wrote:I still say these people are not voting to be annexed into the city because there is nothing the city offers other than higher taxes.

Or..........do I even have to say it......

No...you don't. I get it. Markle never will.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum