Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What an unpleasant place to live.

+6
Vikingwoman
RealLindaL
Sal
dumpcare
Hospital Bob
2seaoat
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

2seaoat

I love the panhandle from October to May, but Sal calling it an armpit is not too far off today.......they said the discomfort index is close to an all time high. I had to move an air conditioner into a rental house with a dolly this morning around 7am, and I think I am done for the day. I had the most beautiful 4th weekend in Illinois with a cool, dry and clear weekend. I get why PK loves Northern Michigan so much.......its just I cannot take the cold anymore, but this is worse than Arizona which I have always thought was the butt of the United States.....I will take the arm pit, but today.......too much.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

If the heat and humidity is the criterion, then all of Florida including where Sal lives is an armpit in the summer.
And at least we don't have that horrible green slime in the water up here. Probably will eventually though.

2seaoat

I watched a Christian youth surf competition on Navarre Beach 4 years ago when the red tide was over on Navarre, and I could not breath and started in on the pneumonia as that chit is toxic.  I know exactly where that green crap is coming from, because we almost moved the Park Model further south to the shores of the big lake where the spitting match is taking place on the foul water which has closed the beaches......first of all there is NO beach in Southern Florida which compares to Navarre Beach....none, Second, there summers are certainly worse, but I have only once experienced it when my then girlfriend and I took an Auto driveway vehicle to Miami, flew over to the Bahamas, and spent a week scuba diving.....I remember stopping at Disney world and taking the Pirates of the C ride three times to simply cool off......Orlando was unbearable.   Do not get me wrong......Illinois can have high humidity and heat but the wind and water captures some of the cool of the winter and it just does not get this bad. I feel like a prisoner in the house.   I was going to cut grass, but I am just too weak from this heat......I was in the Lowe's looking at rider mowers this afternoon, and it got so hot in the car that my ignition key would not turn, so it took five minutes with the windows down, but unable to start the car baking like child left in a car by a careless parent........I think I am going to become dracula for the balance of the week.

My worst fear is what is this heat doing to warm up the Gulf......God help us if a Cat three gets heated up coming into Pensacola.......and it is way overdue.

2seaoat

I am going on a bender.......I have about a case of o'douls non alcoholic beer and I think I will drink it all today trying to stay cool.....nothing like a beer on a hot day even though I can no longer drink alcohol.

dumpcare

Bob wrote:If the heat and humidity is the criterion,  then all of Florida including where Sal lives is an armpit in the summer.
And at least we don't have that horrible green slime in the water up here.  Probably will eventually though.

Agree all of Florida is the armpit today and you didn't speak soon enough about the algae up here, my daughter and family went to Navarre beach Sunday and it's there, not as bad as down south but bad enough. I have lived here 25 years and never seen algae in the gulf.

Michigan is the armpit in the winter.

dumpcare

2seaoat wrote:I watched a Christian youth surf competition on Navarre Beach 4 years ago when the red tide was over on Navarre, and I could not breath and started in on the pneumonia as that chit is toxic.  I know exactly where that green crap is coming from, because we almost moved the Park Model further south to the shores of the big lake where the spitting match is taking place on the foul water which has closed the beaches......first of all there is NO beach in Southern Florida which compares to Navarre Beach....none, Second, there summers are certainly worse, but I have only once experienced it when my then girlfriend and I took an Auto driveway vehicle to Miami, flew over to the Bahamas, and spent a week scuba diving.....I remember stopping at Disney world and taking the Pirates of the C ride three times to simply cool off......Orlando was unbearable.   Do not get me wrong......Illinois can have high humidity and heat but the wind and water captures some of the cool of the winter and it just does not get this bad. I feel like a prisoner in the house.   I was going to cut grass, but I am just too weak from this heat......I was in the Lowe's looking at rider mowers this afternoon, and it got so hot in the car that my ignition key would not turn, so it took five minutes with the windows down, but unable to start the car baking like child left in a car by a careless parent........I think I am going to become dracula for the balance of the week.

My worst fear is what is this heat doing to warm up the Gulf......God help us if a Cat three gets heated up coming into Pensacola.......and it is way overdue.

Man I have a riding mower and wanted to mow for the past 3 days, ain't gona happen. I think the heat index a hour or so ago was 110.

Sal

Sal

It's been pretty unbearable.

Normally, by mid-afternoon we'd be clouding up with sea breeze generated thunderstorms breaking out 4-5 times a week.

Not this year.

I like to throw something on the grill to avoid heating up the house with the oven, but it's been too damn hot.

Today it was 96 with a heat index of 107.

RealLindaL

ppaca wrote:
Bob wrote:If the heat and humidity is the criterion,  then all of Florida including where Sal lives is an armpit in the summer.
And at least we don't have that horrible green slime in the water up here.  Probably will eventually though.

Agree all of Florida is the armpit today and you didn't speak soon enough about the algae up here, my daughter and family went to Navarre beach Sunday and it's there, not as bad as down south but bad enough. I have lived here 25 years and never seen algae in the gulf.

What's in the Gulf at Navarre and Pensacola Beaches right now is called June Grass -- yes, a similar algae but not as bad as the thick rotting slime being seen on the Southeast coast at the moment.  Happens along the Panhandle almost every summer whenever the sun is unrelenting and the water relatively calm, some years worse than others.   If you've never seen it  before, ppaca, I'm very surprised and thinking you must not be out in the water on a regular basis all summer long, as I am.  It's a common occurrence.  I always feel bad for vacationers who picked a week when the June Grass is in evidence, but there's no real way to predict it, and it can disappear quickly (or not) when weather conditions change.  
I usually just wade through it out to clearer water a bit farther from shore.  Biggest annoyance is the green stuff (we call it "salad") found in one's swimsuit upon returning home.

Here's a link to Pensacola Beach webcams (east, south, and west views clickable).  Scroll down to see the image.

http://www.visitpensacolabeach.com/webcams/east-view.php

Best viewed full screen (full screen button accessible by hovering over lower right corner of each web cam image).  You can see the greenish cast close to shore, and the water in general is more murky than  usual, but this is NOT the disaster that's happening in Palm Beach County and the other three in that area.  And as you can see there are plenty of people still in the water.

Vikingwoman

I'll never understand people swimming in the ocean? There's all kinds of sea monsters, rip currents and flesh eating bacteria. Not to mention they bury dead bodies in there. I'll never forget a body they found where the skin was sloughed off when I was in LE. I don't think I've been in the water since then.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Vikingwoman wrote:I'll never understand people swimming in the ocean?

Actually I can understand being down in the water, I like that too.
What I no longer understand is why would anyone want to be on the beach with all those melanomas coming down from the sky.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Had 5 of the grandkids in the pool today. We use a 50 lotion. To hot for anything else.

dumpcare

RealLindaL wrote:
ppaca wrote:

What's in the Gulf at Navarre and Pensacola Beaches right now is called June Grass -- yes, a similar algae but not as bad as the thick rotting slime being seen on the Southeast coast at the moment.  Happens along the Panhandle almost every summer whenever the sun is unrelenting and the water relatively calm, some years worse than others.   If you've never seen it  before, ppaca, I'm very surprised and thinking you must not be out in the water on a regular basis all summer long, as I am.  It's a common occurrence.  I always feel bad for vacationers who picked a week when the June Grass is in evidence, but there's no real way to predict it, and it can disappear quickly (or not) when weather conditions change.  
I usually just wade through it out to clearer water a bit farther from shore.  Biggest annoyance is the green stuff (we call it "salad") found in one's swimsuit upon returning home.

Here's a link to Pensacola Beach webcams (east, south, and west views clickable).  Scroll down to see the image.

http://www.visitpensacolabeach.com/webcams/east-view.php

Best viewed full screen (full screen button accessible by hovering over lower right corner of each web cam image).  You can see the greenish cast close to shore, and the water in general is more murky than  usual, but this is NOT the disaster that's happening in Palm Beach County and the other three in that area.  And as you can see there are plenty of people still in the water.

Well since I wasn't at Navarre Beach on Sunday I will have to take my son-in-laws word that it was algae since he was born and raised here.. I have seen what you're talking about and I mentioned that to them and he said no what they were in was algae.

2seaoat

Navarre Beach was jammed this afternoon, but I did not go to the water, but just wanted to see how crowded the east end parking lots were.....more people than I usually see as more people are taking beach vacations and not staying on the beach. I began cutting grass around five, loaded the trailer and cut a second property about 8, and it was pleasant.

If the globe is warming, the Panhandle is going to get more and more snowbirds, and nobody goes to south florida in the summer........but today was horrible. At one point the air conditioner simply could not keep up.

Sal

Sal

At 10:35 ET it's 86 degrees. That's just stupid.

Hallmarkgard

LOL  You think it is hot?  Try welding  and fitting all day in a shipyard .  Poor you.  Gee-zus  it is Florida  Duh...There was a time when most houses did not have a/c...

RealLindaL

ppaca wrote:I have seen what you're talking about and I mentioned that to them and he said no what they were in was algae.

But June Grass IS algae, ppaca as I said above.  It's green, and it does feel slimy.  Just nowhere near the horrid sludgy thickness they're seeing down south in their more inland waterways, and not related to that situation.

Maybe you were thrown off by my use of the word "salad" - that's just a saying.  It's nothing like lettuce, and also nothing like sargassum or other seaweed.  And it's not grass --  it's ALGAE, just a nuisance fact of life in the Gulf here in summer, not a catastrophe.

Here's a recent article about it in the NWF Daily News, including pics from a more serious June Grass 'invasion' in 2014 on Okaloosa Island.  Note the title of the piece:

http://www.nwfdailynews.com/news/20160608/tis-season-for-that-green-slimy-stuff-in-water

RealLindaL

Bob wrote:

Actually I can understand being down in the water,  I like that too.
What I no longer understand is why would anyone want to be on the beach with all those melanomas coming down from the sky.

Easy for me to say because I've never had it, I suppose, but I consider melanoma a calculated risk.  Most of us have certain life's practices or vices that can be risky to our health, but we weigh the risks vs. the pleasures in life, and proceed accordingly.  

I have always been a sea-and-sun-loving beach person and hope I will be until the day I die - of whatever.

Last edited by RealLindaL on 7/6/2016, 1:25 am; edited 1 time in total

RealLindaL

Hallmarkgard wrote:You think it is hot?  Try welding  and fitting all day in a shipyard .

Now that would be pure torture in this heat.

Vikingwoman

Bob wrote:

Actually I can understand being down in the water,  I like that too.

Not me. Give me a swimming pool any day. I like walking on the beach but never had any interest in baking on the sand. Contrary to popular belief and according to my mother's plastic surgeon the sun is the worst thing you can do to your skin. It ages you immensely and destroys your skins collagen. My g'daughter's other g'mother spent her whole life baking in the sun and now she looks like a dried up old prune. When I saw her recently I actually thought she had been in a fire the skin was so destroyed and hanging down in clumps. The damage was that bad.

2seaoat

I would rather climb into my microwave and turn it on than go to the beach today.  I also think people pee in the pool.  When the kids were younger they would have friends over to swim and one girl actually pooped in the pool.  I have the same aversion to pools and hot tubs that Dreams has to the ocean.....the idea that you would swim in a contained area with people using it as a bathroom, or in a health club I used to belong, people would get into a hot tub without showering is far more disgusting to me than the ocean.   Like I want to sit in a steaming soup of 12 butts.......I do not even like to take a bath and prefer a shower, but nothing is better than an early spring or fall dip in the ocean.....just cool enough to make it almost cold when you first get in the water.....I do not like the ocean when it becomes too warm....it simply is not as refreshing, and the bacteria counts rise in the summer.

Last edited by 2seaoat on 7/6/2016, 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total

Hallmarkgard

A/C made everyone live in boxes. Windows that dont open, no porches, No thought of ventilation or and air flow. Now we run from one Air conditioned place to another. Most places are too damn cold, Heat is like the cold, you have to accept it and learn your limits. A/C can be like dope, the more you have, the more you want.

2seaoat

I am wearing a hooded sweatshirt today because I knew I was going to Lowes to get a new mower, and I get chilled easily now in air conditioning. I have built a screened in porch on the Park Model, and last night I could listen to the bull frogs and not get eaten up by the mosquitoes. I remember the summers in Birmingham where the family would sit on a screened porch with a swing and chairs as neighbors would simply drop over and my grandmother would prepare iced tea. Everybody wore hats to keep the sun off and light colored clothes. They would get up early to do chores and tend to their garden, greenhouse, chickens, flowers and fruit trees and then stay in with fans blowing until after about 7pm when they would tend to some things and then go sit on that front porch.

Something changed in America when we moved the front porch to the back deck, and built fences around yards, and had air conditioning where folks were safe and entertained in their homes watching cable tv, and rarely got to know their neighbors......yards became bigger, communities became gated, and exclusive. In my youth, a wealthy man could live on the same block as the man who worked in his factory, people were connected, and people adapted to the discomfort. Today we are comfortable and isolated.

Hallmarkgard

2seaoat wrote:I am wearing a hooded sweatshirt today because I knew I was going to Lowes to get a new mower, and I get chilled easily now in air conditioning.  I have built a screened in porch on the Park Model, and last night I could listen to the bull frogs and not get eaten up by the mosquitoes.  I remember the summers in Birmingham where the family would sit on a screened porch with a swing and chairs as neighbors would simply drop over and my grandmother would prepare iced tea.  Everybody wore hats to keep the sun off and light colored clothes.  They would get up early to do chores and tend to their garden, greenhouse, chickens, flowers and fruit trees and then stay in with fans blowing until after about 7pm when they would tend to some things and then go sit on that front porch.

Something changed in America when we moved the front porch to the back deck, and built fences around yards, and had air conditioning where folks were safe and entertained in their homes watching cable tv, and rarely got to know their neighbors......yards became bigger, communities became gated, and exclusive.   In my youth, a wealthy man could live on the same block as the man who worked in his factory, people were connected, and people adapted to the discomfort.   Today we are comfortable and isolated.

Well said.. I used to live on K st. The cheif of Police lived 2 blocks away on Romano. We were building a Hot rod and fired it up about 10pm one night, He walk down and said "If you do that again late at night I will come down here and kick your ass, then I will take all of you to jail!!"Yes Sir Problem solved..

dumpcare

When I moved here July 1, 1991 my son, wife and myself unloaded a uhaul truck that took a few hours, it was hot but I could take it. I loved the heat and it did not bother me much until I hit 60 and it's gotten worse every year for me and my wife.

It's like here staying inside all summer and up north staying inside all winter.

Back from Texas where it was hot AND humid. No dry heat that folks speak about. I walked every morning while there. You just gotta do what you gotta do and keep doing it! I was not going to let being away from home or the heat stop me. Raining as we got back to the house. Weather says some chance of rain through the weekend. I'm going to the beach regardless. That's why they make umbrellas and sunblock.

Y'all stop yer complainin' Laughing Laughing

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum