Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

House Democrats: GOP blocking investigation into high drug prices

+2
Vikingwoman
boards of FL
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

boards of FL

boards of FL

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2015/11/04/house-democrats-gop-blocking-investigation-into-high-drug-prices/

We can investigate Planned Parenthood, we can investigate Benghazi eight times, we can conduct all sorts of investigations so long as they are politically motivated and provide a distraction from the fact that republicans are devoid of policy offerings...but we can't conduct real investigations into real world problems?

GOP 2016!

Democrats on the House Oversight Committee are chastising Chairman Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah) for rebuffing their efforts to investigate price hikes by two pharmaceutical companies.

"My constituents are dying," Ranking Member Elijah E. Cummings (D-Md.) said at a news conference Wednesday morning. "They are dying because they cannot get a cure."

In a letter to Chaffetz, he and other members said Republicans have "refused every request" to hold hearings or issue subpoenas to drug companies. They ask Republicans to allow them to move forward next month: "Even if you have no interest in investigating these abuses on behalf of your own constituents, we ask that you not block us from investigating them on behalf of ours."

Cummings has for months been urging an investigation into Valeant Pharmaceuticals, which is now being probed by federal prosecutors, and has demanded documents from both Valeant and Turing Pharmaceuticals. After those requests were refused, he and his fellow Democrats in September pushed for hearings where the CEOs of the two firms would testify.

He said Wednesday that three Republicans, including one member of the Oversight Committee, have asked him to push Democrats to do something about drug prices.

"I say talk to Chaffetz," he said. He added that he hoped newly-elected House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.) will take up the issue.

A spokeswoman for Chaffetz did not immediately return a request for comment.

Drug price increases have become a major issue on the presidential campaign trail, gaining traction after Turing's price increases were put in the spotlight. Former secretary of state Hillary Clinton has promised to cap drug costs. Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders (D-Vt.) is opposing President Obama’s nominee to lead the Food and Drug Administration because of pharmaceutical prices. Republican Donald Trump called Turing CEO Martin Shkreli a "spoiled brat." Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) called price hikes "pure profiteering." A Kaiser Family Foundation poll last week found that high drug prices are far and away Americans' top health concern.

Cummings has been working on this issue since 2011, when the head coach of the University of Maryland women's basketball team wrote to him about a shortage of the drug her son needed to treat his cancer. The shortage was related to profit concerns.

Democrats acknowledged Wednesday that without Republican support, they cannot move legislation in Congress. But, they said, they could prod the other party, as well as the White House and pharmaceutical companies, themselves.

"Shaming is important as well," Rep. Jan Schakowsky (D-Ill.) said.

The Senate, meanwhile, has launched an investigation into Turing, Valeant and a third company.

Did you want enormous healthcare corporations colluding with the govt to force obamacaid on us or not?

Vikingwoman

Did you know there is a law in Fl. if you are single,childless and over 25 and die of any medical malpractice you cannot sue? Even for the moss gross form of negligence? This is thanks to the republicans.

Sal

Sal

Vikingwoman wrote:if you are single,childless and over 25 and die of any medical malpractice you cannot sue?

How do you sue someone if you're dead?

boards of FL

boards of FL

PkrBum wrote:Did you want enormous healthcare corporations colluding with the govt to force obamacaid on us or not?

You're asking this question within a thread in which the subject is democrats - members of the government - seeking to investigate drug companies that grossly inflate the price of drugs for American consumers.  That effort is being blocked by republicans.

Let me state this one more time so as to be sure that I convey exactly how stupid your comment is.  The subject of this thread is democrats seeking an investigation into the practice of pharmaceutical companies jacking up the price of drugs for the American market.  Dumbing this down further, certain members of the government are not colluding with, nay, they are seeking to investigate the ridiculous practice of jacking up the price of medication for American consumers.  These members are being blocked from doing that by extreme right-wingers - members of your team, essentially.

I realize you won't be able to find the words to respond substantively, so I'll just ask you a very straightforward yes or no question so as not to tax your vocabulary:  Should there be a government investigation into jacked up pharmaceutical prices?  We're going to have one for Planned Parenthood. We've had eight for Benghazi. Shouldn't we at least have one investigation into the practice of grossly inflated drugs in the American market?

I think the answer there is obviously "Yes".   What do you say, PkrBum?

dumpcare

http://mediacomtoday.com/news/read/category/News/hashtag/News/article/the_associated_press-pfizer_doubling_patient_income_limit_for_free_drug-ap

http://www.pfizerrxpathways.com/?step=1

www.pparx.org

I say that if the corps were doing something illegal the govt would instantly intervene. You on the otherhand are so dumbed down that you have offended sensibilities whenever your dear leaders decide to play political theater.

Get a clue pencil neck.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Vikingwoman wrote:Did you know there is a law in Fl. if you are single,childless and over 25 and die of any medical malpractice you cannot sue? Even for the moss gross form of negligence? This is thanks to the republicans.

Remember,  it was the Florida legislature which Fred Levin and W.D. Childers ran the tobacco legislation through.  Something like you're describing would have never been made law during that period.  The trial lawyers (both inside and outside the legislature) would have successfully blocked it.

Has the makeup of the legislature changed so much since then that something like this could actually make it through the legislature and into law?
Because frankly that would be the most bizarre thing I can think of.  And it would effect me personally since I'm single and childless.  And they tell me my looks don't show it but I am over 25.
Can you supply a link so we can learn more about the law?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Okay I was lying.  Nobody's told me I look 25 years old since I was about 17 and starting to lose my hair. 
And that's not technically the truth either.  At 17 and partly bald they actually told me I looked more like 40,  not 25 which would have been a little easier to take.

Sal

Sal

I loved those guys that could buy beer at 17 because they looked old.

Indispensable.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

That (buying beer at 17) was probably the first time in my life I learned there was a silver lining in every cloud.  
I've played the age card ever since.

Sal

Sal

Man, I really used to envy those dudes with the receding hairlines and with the 5 o'clock shadows that came in at noon.

They could get into the bars unimpeded.

Now, I'm pushing 50 and still getting carded from time to time.

It happened just last week.

The worm ...

... how she does turn.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

It was kinda tough when I learned I was eligible for a "senior citizen discount" the first time.  That was age 50 and Burger King.
I was torn between taking or not taking the discount.  But then I said fuck it and took that one and every other since.

You're not too far from that,  Sal.  And then it won't be all that much longer before you're eligible for all the senior citizen discounts at 55.  That's when it becomes impossible to keep pretending you aren't old yet.

But then sooner or later you get to be 65.  And that's when uncle sugar really lets you play the age card. 
Well all except Ben Carson of course.   Because  if he wants to dump medicare, surely he isn't hypocritical enough to be taking the benefits himself.  With all his millions all he needs is a medical savings account like he says.
Kinda reminds you of how rush limbaugh said we don't need government to help pay for our medical care because all we need to do is what he did.  He was hospitalized in Hawaii and he didn't even need the stinking savings account.  He pulled a wad of cash out of his wallet and paid the whole bill.

Last edited by Bob on 11/5/2015, 11:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sal

Sal

Bob wrote:That was age 50

Dammit.

Apparently, I'm never gonna get past getting ID'd.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Salinsky wrote:

Don't think that's flattery.  I was actually carded at a bar as late as two or three years ago.  And I got all pumped up about it and told my friends they actually weren't sure if I was legal age.
But then it was pointed out to me  that it's just because some businesses are so paranoid about getting sued they decide to card everybody.  They don't even look at you,  just the card.  lol

Sal

Sal

Bob wrote:
Salinsky wrote:

Don't think that's flattery.  I was actually carded at a bar as late as two or three years ago.  And I got all pumped up about it and told my friends they actually weren't sure if I was legal age.
But then it was pointed out to me  that it's just because some businesses are so paranoid about getting sued they decide to card everybody.  They don't even look at you,  just the card.  lol

Nah, that ain't it.

I get carded all of the time.

Baby-faced and full head of hair, it's a curse.

When I'm with my wife, I always turn her way and say, "I'm with her".

She fails to see the humor.

Sal

Sal

Actually, it was kind of a curse at the time.

This thread made me remember an episode I had long forgotten.

When I was 21, I was in a bar with my girlfriend and the ATF came in and started randomly carding people.

They literally tore my legit drivers license to shreds trying to prove it was fake.

And, I had no recourse.

I had to pay $16 for new one.

Dammit, I'm a glibertarian now.

boards of FL

boards of FL

PkrBum wrote:I say that if the corps were doing something illegal the govt would instantly intervene. You on the otherhand are so dumbed down that you have offended sensibilities whenever your dear leaders decide to play political theater.

Get a clue pencil neck.

There are medications that people require to survive. We just saw a pharmaceutical company purchase a particular drug - Daraprim - and increase the price overnight by more than 5000 percent. And that isn't an isolated occurrence. You're telling me you see no problem with that? Is that what high school libertarians call the invisible hand guiding the market to competitive, optimal pricing?

boards of FL wrote:
PkrBum wrote:I say that if the corps were doing something illegal the govt would instantly intervene. You on the otherhand are so dumbed down that you have offended sensibilities whenever your dear leaders decide to play political theater.

Get a clue pencil neck.

There are medications that people require to survive. We just saw a pharmaceutical company purchase a particular drug - Daraprim - and increase the price overnight by more than 5000 percent. And that isn't an isolated occurrence. You're telling me you see no problem with that? Is that what high school libertarians call the invisible hand guiding the market to competitive, optimal pricing?

I didn't say there isn't a problem. I'm saying it's not illegal... and that it's no coincidence or accident that it's not.

You can't seem to grasp that our enormous central bureaucracy plays a pivotal role in these corrupt situations.

That you always see more govt as a solution for inept and corrupt govt collusion with huge corps is usefully idiotic.

boards of FL

boards of FL

PkrBum wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

Get a clue pencil neck.

There are medications that people require to survive.  We just saw a pharmaceutical company purchase a particular drug - Daraprim - and increase the price overnight by more than 5000 percent.  And that isn't an isolated occurrence.  You're telling me you see no problem with that?  Is that what high school libertarians call the invisible hand guiding the market to competitive, optimal pricing?

I didn't say there isn't a problem. I'm saying it's not illegal... and that it's no coincidence or accident that it's not.

You can't seem to grasp that our enormous central bureaucracy plays a pivotal role in these corrupt situations.

That you always see more govt as a solution for inept and corrupt govt collusion with huge corps is usefully idiotic.

The question to you was:  Should these gross price increases be investigated?

Note, I'm not asking you about legality.  I'm not asking you about Obamacare.  I'm asking you if we should investigate the practice of monopolizing and inflating the price of various drugs in the American market?

Planned Parenthood did nothing illegal either, though they are absolutely going to be investigated.  Clinton did nothing illegal though she was investigated eight times.  Can you not decide whether or not pharmaceutical companies should be investigated as well?  Do you not understand the question, election-boy?  I dumbed it down to a "yes" or "no" for you.

Let's try this one last time.  You have two strikes.  Here comes the last pitch.  It is a slow floating beach ball right down the center of the strike zone.

PkrBum, should the government investigate the practice of pharmaceutical companies grossly inflating the price of medications in the American market?

And if not, what is the PkrBum solution?  Let me guess...

If the government would just..like...get out of the way, or something, shit just works itself out.  It just does!  Bad ideas....like...fail or something.

Obamacaid is a corrupt collusion between govt and corps. That you think the govt will police that in earnest is funny.

This is what you supported without a clue as to it's workings. The single largest tax and fascist govt program ever.

Enjoy comrade.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/big-pharmas-obamacare-reward-1423180690

http://www.forbes.com/sites#/sites/brucejapsen/2013/05/25/obamacare-will-bring-drug-industry-35-billion-in-profits/

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/whats-fueling-drug-sales-obamacare-and-expensive-meds/

http://m.nasdaq.com/article/obamacare-will-make-this-pharmaceutical-company-skyrocket-cm249434

boards of FL

boards of FL

PkrBum wrote:Obamacaid is a corrupt collusion between govt and corps. That you think the govt will police that in earnest is funny.

This is what you supported without a clue as to it's workings. The single largest tax and fascist govt program ever.

Enjoy comrade.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/big-pharmas-obamacare-reward-1423180690

http://www.forbes.com/sites#/sites/brucejapsen/2013/05/25/obamacare-will-bring-drug-industry-35-billion-in-profits/

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/whats-fueling-drug-sales-obamacare-and-expensive-meds/

http://m.nasdaq.com/article/obamacare-will-make-this-pharmaceutical-company-skyrocket-cm249434

Your first article - WSJ - clearly states that Obama is looking to employ price controls.   These price controls were originally waived in exchange for increased medicaid discounts and increased discounts for seniors.  Though even in spite of that, the administration is still looking at price controls.  I'm not sure what point you feel that makes or how it helps anything that you're saying here, so perhaps you can clarify?  Of course you can't.  

Your next article - forbes - clearly says that pharmaceutical companies will see increased sales because the ACA will bring healthcare benefits to millions of uninsured Americans.  They're talking about an increase in volume due to expanded access, not the price increases that democrats currently want to investigate.  

Your next article - CBS - clearly states, in the first sentence "Spending on prescription medicines by U.S. patients may rise 41 percent to as much as $480 billion by 2018, according to a new study from researcher IMS Institute for Healthcare Informatics. The biggest drivers in the rise in spending are the implementation of the Affordable Care Act, an aging American population, and higher drug prices, the report said."

Note how they treat the ACA and higher drug prices as two separate factors that exhibit an influence on overall drug sales?  Do you not understand that?  The ACA will influence sales by way of increased volume, though these price increases are a separate phenomenon entirely.  One more time for our high school libertarian, the issue here is pharmaceutical companies grossly inflating prices beyond competitive market norms or optimums - and whether or not we should investigate that.

Your last article - Nasdaq - clearly lays out the problem.  I'm left wondering  why you even posted it.  You must either be illiterate or you just googled "drug price increase" and then just started copy and pasting every article to fill the void of substance that is always lacking in your posts here.   The article clearly states that drug companies are inflating prices for no other reason than they're trying to squeeze out what is left of their expiring patents at a time when very few new patents are in the pipeline.  That - as well as increases ala Turing Pharm - are precisely what democrats want to investigate.  Did you even read the article?

PkrBum, you have managed to post a bunch of articles.  Great.  Can you now use the information contained in those articles and simply state your point?  Can you simply find the words to string together so as to form a coherent view point on this issue that is more substantive than "It's all government and corporate collusion, man!"  Can you say anything in response that would indicate that you have read my post here, you understand what I'm saying, and that would suggest that you even understand the subject matter at all?  Or, could you simply answer the original question?  Should we investigate these gross price increases?  I swear it's not a trick question.

By a show of hands, who here thinks the next response is "You think I care what pencil neck leftist useful idiot thinks!? Huh?!? Fuck off, comrade!"

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

You think I care what "pencil neck leftist useful idiot thinks!? Huh?!? Fuck off, comrade"

to know thyself is the beginning of wisdom -Socrates

boards of FL

boards of FL

TEOTWAWKI wrote:You think I care what "pencil neck leftist useful idiot thinks!? Huh?!? Fuck off, comrade"

Why is it that everything has to be explained to right-wingers as if they are a child?

TEO, when I imitate PkrBum and what he is very likely to say, that isn't an example of me "knowing thyself" or validating his opinion.  It is an example of me showing exactly how predictable PkrBum is.  

PkrBum wrote:I refuse to play loop de loop with an asshole that ignores relevant facts while asking obtuse and misleading questions.
Let the govt give an economics degree to anyone that can balance their checkbook. In the mean time... fuck off.

PkrBum wrote:Fuck off... I'm not answering your dumbass questions... I don't even read them.

Why don't you tell us how much the temperature drops for 170b?

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

boards of FL wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:You think I care what "pencil neck leftist useful idiot thinks!? Huh?!? Fuck off, comrade"

Why is it that everything has to be explained to right-wingers as if they are a child?

TEO, when I imitate PkrBum and what he is very likely to say, that isn't an example of me "knowing thyself" or validating his opinion.  It is an example of me showing exactly how predictable PkrBum is.  

PkrBum wrote:I refuse to play loop de loop with an asshole that ignores relevant facts while asking obtuse and misleading questions.
Let the govt give an economics degree to anyone that can balance their checkbook. In the mean time... fuck off.

PkrBum wrote:Fuck off... I'm not answering your dumbass questions... I don't even read them.

Why don't you tell us how much the temperature drops for 170b?

oh I though you were being honest with yourself for a change....

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum