Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

maybe I could take up cycling...so much safer

4 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

2seaoat

You still have to learn to ride on gravel on a bike.....uhhhh.....I mean grease.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

2seaoat wrote:You still have to learn to ride on gravel on a bike.....uhhhh.....I mean grease.

I looked for a grease riding instructor but they all died untimely deaths..

2seaoat

I looked for a grease riding instructor but they all died untimely deaths..

My brother had two motorcycle accidents. The first was with his wife on the back when another numbskull in their group bumped his rear tire and they both went flying covered with road rashes and my brother broke his arm, my SIL landed in soft grass and only had a few road rashes. He had been racing dirt bikes for years and was experienced.

The second accident was bad. He spaced out and never brought his kickstand up and made a right turn onto the highway. He got it up to about 55 when he had a slow banked left hand turn over railroad tracks......the kick stand hits and he looses control and travels about a hundred feet in a grass ditch. The road rashes were not terrible, his bike was able to be driven, so he hops back on and goes to work, when he gets to work they take him to the hospital, he was in shock from the tumbling, and had walked into work with his helmet on and a section of sod on top of his helmet. He did not know where he was or who people were. About five hours later he was basically ok, but did not go to work for a week.......when I said I no longer ride a bike, I could tell more stories.....hell getting up to go to the bathroom at night is an adventure for me now.....and I will never ride a bike or bicycle again.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

A human body,  regardless if it's sitting on a motorcycle seat or a bicycle seat and surrounded by nothing but thin air,  is not a match for a 3000 lb hunk of steel.
Unless it's a Smart Car.  A motorcycle would probably win out over that thing.
A bicycle not as likely.

Markle

Markle

NOTHING better than riding through the mountains, on a fine Harley with 15 or 20 other riders...who know what they are doing!

No guts, no glory.

2seaoat

NOTHING better than riding through the mountains, on a fine Harley with 15 or 20 other riders...who know what they are doing!

No guts, no glory.

I would always take the Austin Healy Sprite convertible for those type of pleasure rides over the bike.....way better from the sprite.
maybe I could take up cycling...so much safer 2Q==

Markle

Markle

[quote="2seaoat"]NOTHING better than riding through the mountains, on a fine Harley with 15 or 20 other riders...who know what they are doing!

No guts, no glory.

I would always take the Austin Healy Sprite convertible for those type of pleasure rides over the bike.....way better from the sprite.

Ahhh...all the excitement you missed.

I had one of these, except red, my sr. year of high school and freshman year in college.  32 gal. gas tank and 8 mpg discouraged keeping it more than 2 years.  This model won at LeMans three straight years.

maybe I could take up cycling...so much safer F4201bff-cd9a-4e0d-9d5f-c1445e11079f_zpsd05de0c2

Had this until last year.  Engine, transmission and rear end rebuilt by a company that does it for NASCAR engines.  Had it over 40 years.
maybe I could take up cycling...so much safer WhitePontiacGTO

Wife's car for many years....
maybe I could take up cycling...so much safer PontiacLemansConvertible"

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Markle wrote:NOTHING better than riding through the mountains, on a fine Harley with 15 or 20 other riders...who know what they are doing!

It's a lot easier for a car driver to see 15 or 20 motorcyles in a group on the highway than it is for a car driver to see one motorcycle by itself weaving in and out of traffic on busy streets.
I would probably even risk that myself.

Markle

Markle

Bob wrote:
Markle wrote:NOTHING better than riding through the mountains, on a fine Harley with 15 or 20 other riders...who know what they are doing!

It's a lot easier for a car driver to see 15 or 20 motorcyles [motorcycles] in a group on the highway than it is for a car driver to see one motorcycle by itself weaving in and out of traffic on busy streets.
I would probably even risk that myself.

Officials: Three people dead after car collides with motorcycle
POSTED 6:48 AM, MARCH 16, 2015,

One motorcyclist, weaving in and out of traffic, anywhere, is more properly known as an organ donor.

Sadly, on a regular basis, bikers are hit, in groups by cars that lost control or are being driven by a drunk or stoner.

LINCOLN COUNTY, Okla. – Authorities say three people are dead following an accident on an Oklahoma highway.

According to the Oklahoma Highway Patrol, a Chrysler 300 was driving northbound on U.S. Hwy 177 when it left the road.

The driver over-corrected to the left of the center line, hitting a Harley Davidson motorcycle.

The motorcyclist, 49-year-old Steven Franetovich, was thrown about 70 feet.

The crash then caused two more accidents.

Another motorcyclist, 20-year-old Clayton Franetovich, hit the first Harley Davidson.

Clayton Franetovich was thrown about 20 feet from his bike.

Another motorcyclist, 36-year-old Brian Bacon, laid his bike down in an attempt to avoid causing another collision.

He ran off the roadway to the right.

Tragically, all the motorcyclists died at the scene.

Officials are not releasing the names of the driver or passenger in the Chrysler 300 due to their age.

However, they were not seriously injured in the crash.

http://kfor.com/2015/03/16/officials-three-people-dead-after-car-collides-with-motorcycle/

In a way, I feel sorry for the driver of the car. For the rest of his life, he'll wake up every morning knowing his carelessness and inexperience caused the lives of three people.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Oh sure just when I am pretty sure I can get back on the "horse" you post this......

2seaoat

I had one of these, except red, my sr. year of high school and freshman year in college. 32 gal. gas tank and 8 mpg discouraged keeping it more than 2 years. This model won at LeMans three straight years.

They were fun cars, but you always had to be prepared for mechanical issues, and particularly electrical. I was under it more than I drove it. Did my first brake job on it, and it was fun getting a Chilton's book because I had no dealership anywhere nearby. Got it after I guy lost control and went through a barb wire fence and banged it up and tore off the top and destroyed the windshield. I put on a new top, a new windshield, did body work and painted it red. It was fun just driving in the country with the top down, but in the end the reliability factor of a British car.......I sold it.

2seaoat

Oh sure just when I am pretty sure I can get back on the "horse" you post this......

Be careful......wait to you are healed and feeling better before going back out, and stay away from gravel.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Here's an idea.  Let's all go to the Fair tomorrow night and ride the really scary rides without wearing the seatbelts or shoulder harnesses. 
No guts no glory.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Got new saying for ya Bob...no guts no gory....

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

TEOTWAWKI wrote:Got new saying for ya Bob...no guts no gory....

That's as good as the saying yelladawg came up with a while back.
He said I don't actually have Alzheimers,  more like Sometimers.  lol

Laughing Until completely healed Teo only needs that little motorcycle ride at the fair that goes in a circle.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

SheWrites wrote:Laughing Until completely healed Teo only needs that little motorcycle ride at the fair that goes in a circle.

Do they have an ambulance standing by there ?

2seaoat

I forgot to ask.....were you wearing your helmet?

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

2seaoat wrote:I forgot to ask.....were you wearing your helmet?

Yes helmet damaged, head just fine....

2seaoat

Yes helmet damaged, head just fine....

I am thankful you took the precaution. I imagine Joan could tell many stories about folks who thought helmets are unnecessary.......those folks really do not need to ride bikes. Trauma and the head are not a good combination.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

I never ride without a helmet and seldom ride without leathers or body armor. This summer I got careless wearing my jacket due to the heat so I will pay for that decision for, months...who knows... affraid

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
SheWrites wrote:Laughing Until completely healed Teo only needs that little motorcycle ride at the fair that goes in a circle.

Do they have an ambulance standing by there ?

That's the great thing about Bob's suggestion of the fair! Ambulances on hand.

One of the saddest things I ever saw was when working at shh. A young man came in after a motorcycle accident. He was wearing blow up pressure pants that the paramedics had put on at the scene. He was perfectly lucid and barely had a mark on him. He was literally begging us not to let him die... that he just got married and had a baby on the way. We all assured him that he would be ok. I'll spare the gore... but he was busted up internally. His vitals crashed a few minutes later and they rushed him to surgery. He didn't make it. I can still see his eyes locked onto mine and hear his voice... I so wish there was something we could've done.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

PkrBum wrote:One of the saddest things I ever saw was when working at shh. A young man came in after a motorcycle accident. He was wearing blow up pressure pants that the paramedics had put on at the scene. He was perfectly lucid and barely had a mark on him. He was literally begging us not to let him die... that he just got married and had a baby on the way. We all assured him that he would be ok. I'll spare the gore... but he was busted up internally. His vitals crashed a few minutes later and they rushed him to surgery. He didn't make it. I can still see his eyes locked onto mine and hear his voice... I so wish there was something we could've done.

That's one of the most powerful paragraphs ever been written here.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum