Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Are these explusions fair?

+5
Joanimaroni
Sal
TEOTWAWKI
EmeraldGhost
boards of FL
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Are these expulsions fair?

Are these explusions fair? I_vote_lcap50%Are these explusions fair? I_vote_rcap 50% [ 3 ]
Are these explusions fair? I_vote_lcap50%Are these explusions fair? I_vote_rcap 50% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 6

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Are these explusions fair? Empty Are these explusions fair? 10/16/2015, 8:46 am

boards of FL

boards of FL

Are these expulsions fair? If "pantsing" were an offense worthy of expulsion, nearly everyone would have been expelled at my high school and middle school.

http://www.pnj.com/story/news/local/education/2015/10/16/escd-parents-fight-sons-expulsion/73948582/

2Are these explusions fair? Empty Re: Are these explusions fair? 10/16/2015, 9:16 am

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

Where's the concern for the kid that was "pants'd"? They call it "horseplay" .... or a "prank."   I wonder if the victim saw it that way.

If a group of adults did it to another adult it would be called "assault." They should be charged with assault as juveniles.

At the very minimum the perpetrators should be barred from school sports. So far as that goes .... I think public schools, colleges, and universities should do away with all sports, excepting maybe some intramural.   Let 'em join a private sports league if they want to play sports.

3Are these explusions fair? Empty Re: Are these explusions fair? 10/16/2015, 9:28 am

boards of FL

boards of FL

EmeraldGhost wrote:Where's the concern for the kid that was "pants'd"?   They call it "horseplay" .... or a "prank."   I wonder if the victim saw it that way.

If a group of adults did it to another adult it would be called "assault."   They should be charged with assault as juveniles.

At the very minimum the perpetrators should be barred from school sports.  So far as that goes .... I think public schools, colleges, and universities should do away with all sports, excepting maybe some intramural.   Let 'em join a private sports league if they want to play sports.

So to clarify, you feel that "pantsing" is an offense worthy of expulsion?

What about giving someone a wedgie? Expulsion? What if someone looks at someone else and goes "Naaaah, nah, nah, naaaaaaah, nah!!"? Is that worthy of expulsion?

4Are these explusions fair? Empty Re: Are these explusions fair? 10/16/2015, 9:37 am

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Just another form of bullying,,,kick em out.

5Are these explusions fair? Empty Re: Are these explusions fair? 10/16/2015, 9:45 am

boards of FL

boards of FL

EmeraldGhost and TEO, here is a better question. What if the students in question were white? Still worthy of expulsion?

6Are these explusions fair? Empty Re: Are these explusions fair? 10/16/2015, 9:47 am

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Well boards I know you like your pants pulled down but few others do. It doesn't matter the race of the bully.

7Are these explusions fair? Empty Re: Are these explusions fair? 10/16/2015, 10:13 am

Sal

Sal

TEOTWAWKI wrote:Well boards I know you like your pants pulled down but few others do.

Well, that depends entirely on who is doing the pulling.

8Are these explusions fair? Empty Re: Are these explusions fair? 10/16/2015, 11:03 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

boards of FL wrote:
EmeraldGhost wrote:Where's the concern for the kid that was "pants'd"?   They call it "horseplay" .... or a "prank."   I wonder if the victim saw it that way.

If a group of adults did it to another adult it would be called "assault."   They should be charged with assault as juveniles.

At the very minimum the perpetrators should be barred from school sports.  So far as that goes .... I think public schools, colleges, and universities should do away with all sports, excepting maybe some intramural.   Let 'em join a private sports league if they want to play sports.

What about giving someone a wedgie?  Expulsion?  What if someone looks at someone else and goes "Naaaah, nah, nah, naaaaaaah, nah!!"?  Is that worthy of expulsion?

Your first sentence would depend on previous conduct problems with each individual.

Your second sentence is just your silliness.

Turn it around and imagine it was your child being bullied...having his/her pants pulled down against their will, photos taken, and posted on the internet. Social media changes everything....pranks are now public not isolated like when you were just being a brat.

Morality, values, accountability and personal responsibility is important and should be taught by parents. In fact it is a very important part of parenting.

9Are these explusions fair? Empty Re: Are these explusions fair? 10/16/2015, 11:04 am

Vikingwoman

Has this become a racial issue?

10Are these explusions fair? Empty Re: Are these explusions fair? 10/16/2015, 11:28 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

[quzote="Vikingwoman"]Has this become a racial issue?[/quote]

I'm sure it will turn in to race.

If it were my white grandson or granddaughter being pranked, bullied, or assaulted by other white peers...having their pants pulled down and photographed I would be upset. If it was by a student with previous documented behavioural issues, by school officials, then the situation requires more serious intervention.

11Are these explusions fair? Empty Re: Are these explusions fair? 10/16/2015, 11:40 am

boards of FL

boards of FL

Joanimaroni wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

What about giving someone a wedgie?  Expulsion?  What if someone looks at someone else and goes "Naaaah, nah, nah, naaaaaaah, nah!!"?  Is that worthy of expulsion?

Your first sentence would depend on previous conduct problems with each individual.

Turn it around and imagine it was your child being bullied...having his/her pants pulled down against their will,  photos taken, and posted on the internet.  Social media changes everything....pranks are now public not isolated like when you were just being a brat.

Morality, values, accountability and personal responsibility is important and should be taught by parents. In fact it is a very important part of parenting.

We're talking about a group of football players, teammates, horsing around on the bus after a game. Did you even read the article?

12Are these explusions fair? Empty Re: Are these explusions fair? 10/16/2015, 11:42 am

boards of FL

boards of FL

Now think of the same thing, but amongst a rowdy group of teammates on the bus after a game. Expulsion!!!

13Are these explusions fair? Empty Re: Are these explusions fair? 10/16/2015, 11:44 am

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

May be okay for your perverted generation ....just don't go commando....

14Are these explusions fair? Empty Re: Are these explusions fair? 10/16/2015, 11:50 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

boards of FL wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

Turn it around and imagine it was your child being bullied...having his/her pants pulled down against their will,  photos taken, and posted on the internet.  Social media changes everything....pranks are now public not isolated like when you were just being a brat.

We're talking about a group of football players, teammates, horsing around on the bus after a game.  Did you even read the article?

Yea, I read the article....Now tell me how school officials found out about what happened? If it was just innocent horseplay...no problem. Perhaps there was more to it.

And once again, a fitting reprimand would depend on previous conduct problems with each individual student.

15Are these explusions fair? Empty Re: Are these explusions fair? 10/16/2015, 11:54 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

boards of FL wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

We're talking about a group of football players, teammates, horsing around on the bus after a game.  Did you even read the article?

Did you even read my comment? I realize it goes beyond your personal space but.....

Turn it around and imagine it was your child being bullied...having his/her pants pulled down against their will,  photos taken, and posted on the internet.  

Social media changes everything....pranks are now public not isolated like when you were just being a brat.

16Are these explusions fair? Empty Re: Are these explusions fair? 10/16/2015, 12:03 pm

boards of FL

boards of FL

Joanimaroni wrote:

Turn it around and imagine it was your child being bullied...having his/her pants pulled down against their will,  photos taken, and posted on the internet.  

Now if it were my child it would be different. I would want to see swift, immediate, justice. Perhaps a "Hey! Quit horsing around back there, guys!" or "Sit your asses down now and stop horsing around!". At the very worst, for a student with a chronic history of issues, suspension could possibly be fitting if there are extenuating circumstances that were left out of the article that would make this more serious.

Now if someone calls in a bomb threat, expulsion. If someone brings a gun to school, expulsion. On the other hand, if someone flicks the ear of the person sitting in front of them, "Stop playing around and mind your studies!"

17Are these explusions fair? Empty Re: Are these explusions fair? 10/16/2015, 12:16 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

boards of FL wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:

Now if it were my child it would be different.  I would want to see swift, immediate, justice.
 Perhaps a "Hey!  Quit horsing around back there, guys!" or "Sit your asses down now and stop horsing around!".  At the very worst, for a student with a chronic history of issues, suspension could possibly be fitting if there are extenuating circumstances that were left out of the article that would make this more serious.

Now if someone calls in a bomb threat, expulsion.  If someone brings a gun to school, expulsion.  On the other hand, if someone flicks the ear of the person sitting in front of them, "Stop playing around and mind your studies!"

The issue isn't about an illegal bomb threat and it's not about thumping an ear. It's regarding pulling a boys pants down against his will and photographing/ loading the images for the internet.

BTW The article also stated there were previous problems with students involved.

18Are these explusions fair? Empty Re: Are these explusions fair? 10/16/2015, 12:29 pm

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

If it were my kid I'd file assault charges and a civil suit.

19Are these explusions fair? Empty Re: Are these explusions fair? 10/16/2015, 12:36 pm

boards of FL

boards of FL

Joanimaroni wrote:
boards of FL wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:

Now if it were my child it would be different.  I would want to see swift, immediate, justice.
 Perhaps a "Hey!  Quit horsing around back there, guys!" or "Sit your asses down now and stop horsing around!".  At the very worst, for a student with a chronic history of issues, suspension could possibly be fitting if there are extenuating circumstances that were left out of the article that would make this more serious.

Now if someone calls in a bomb threat, expulsion.  If someone brings a gun to school, expulsion.  On the other hand, if someone flicks the ear of the person sitting in front of them, "Stop playing around and mind your studies!"

The issue isn't about  an illegal bomb threat and it's not about thumping an ear. It's regarding pulling a boys pants down against his will and photographing/ loading the images for the internet.

BTW The article also stated there were previous problems with students involved.

The article states that there were only previous problems with one of the students involved.

20Are these explusions fair? Empty Re: Are these explusions fair? 10/16/2015, 1:00 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Yes, it said one student had previous disciplinary issues.

Neither you nor I saw the video of the incident; the video may play a part in the charges.

21Are these explusions fair? Empty Re: Are these explusions fair? 10/16/2015, 1:03 pm

Sal

Sal

Joanimaroni wrote:
Now tell me how school officials found out about what happened?

Good question.

Because if these young men went to their parents and told them they'd gotten "pantsed" on the bus, their man cards should be permanently revoked.

But aside from that, this story brings up a host of questions.

As many of you know, I have a son in high school who plays on the baseball team.

Last Fall, I was picking him up from practice in the evening, and saw one of his teammates get "pantsed" in the parking lot.

They all laughed and took pictures, and no one was in the least bit upset, including the butt of the prank (pun acknowledged).

It was such a non-event that I honestly didn't even remember it until an hour after I first read this post.

It certainly doesn't sound like the West Florida High group is a very tight-knit team.

Me thinks there may be some underlying problems at the school.

My son and his friends also have a rather odd (to me at least) sense of fashion.

They wear a style of pants called "joggers", which are basically khaki pants but with an elastic draw-string waistband, and elastic around the ankles.

Really kind of ridiculous looking IMHO.

But they all wear them every day with Ralph Lauren Polo shirts, to be cool and fit in (I hope he grows out of the conformist phase soon).

But, they also always wear underwear and gym shorts under their joggers.

Now, I'm wondering if they do so because "pantsing" is such a common occurrence in their age group, and maybe joggers, with that elastic waistband, facilitates this behavior.

I'm gonna have to ask him about all this when he gets home this evening.

22Are these explusions fair? Empty Re: Are these explusions fair? 10/16/2015, 1:08 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

It depends on the posted video....was the student completely exposed? Was he a target of recurrent bulling?

23Are these explusions fair? Empty Re: Are these explusions fair? 10/16/2015, 1:23 pm

boards of FL

boards of FL

Joanimaroni wrote:Yes,  it said one student had previous disciplinary issues.

Exactly, and that is counter to what you said.  I just wanted to be sure that you stood corrected.

24Are these explusions fair? Empty Re: Are these explusions fair? 10/16/2015, 1:45 pm

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

boards of FL wrote:

Yup. If schools quit putting up with this nonsense the kids would quit doing it. These weren't 2nd graders .... they were 15 years old.

25Are these explusions fair? Empty Re: Are these explusions fair? 10/16/2015, 1:47 pm

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

boards of FL wrote:EmeraldGhost and TEO, here is a better question.  What if the students in question were white?  Still worthy of expulsion?

Why would I have a different opinion? Why would you think I would?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum