Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

My daughter's close encounter with a mountain lion

+2
TEOTWAWKI
Floridatexan
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

My daughter and her boyfriend were camping in a remote area of North Dakota. They arrived at dusk and set up camp. She said she "didn't feel alone". When they had finished dinner and cleaned up, just as the last embers of the fire died, they heard something running toward them "on padded feet". They couldn't see it (other than maybe a shadow) because their eyes hadn't yet adjusted to the dark. They screamed and apparently chased it away. They camp with rifles, but now my daughter is looking for a .38.

Sorry, all forms of personal gun ownership has been banned. They need to fight off the lion with a broom.

Brooms are a very effective way of getting rid of pest.

Instructions on how to use a broom proficiently:

1. Hold the broom firmly in both hands.
2. Shove said broom at assailent or other intruder and scream loudly
3. If #2 doesnt work, push broom into eyes of assailent
4. If #2 and #3 doesnt work, get on broom and fly away.

Last edited by Rogue on 9/16/2012, 1:39 pm; edited 2 times in total

Floridatexan wrote:
My daughter and her boyfriend were camping in a remote area of North Dakota. They arrived at dusk and set up camp. She said she "didn't feel alone". When they had finished dinner and cleaned up, just as the last embers of the fire died, they heard something running toward them "on padded feet". They couldn't see it (other than maybe a shadow) because their eyes hadn't yet adjusted to the dark. They screamed and apparently chased it away. They camp with rifles, but now my daughter is looking for a .38.

A .38 is only going to piss off a mountain lion......................

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

When i lived in Kern county a mountain lion carried off a 12 year old girl and her uncle made it drop her with a pocket knife...they killed the lion later and found out it was injured and basically starving to death...

If she is not real familiar with guns and does not have a lot of experience shooting them might I suggest they buy some pepper spray for bears.

This stuff is effective and works good. If they want they can buy the ones they use against humans which is way stronger than what they use for animals. I asked a security consultant one time why the stuff for humans was 0.15% Oleoresin Capsicum and the ones for animals was 0.015%. He said bears don't use drugs.

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-gear/gear-guy/Will-pepper-spray-repel-a-mountain-lion-.html

http://www.pepper-spray-store.com/animal-repellent-sprays.shtml

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

alecto wrote:If she is not real familiar with guns and does not have a lot of experience shooting them might I suggest they buy some pepper spray for bears.

This stuff is effective and works good. If they want they can buy the ones they use against humans which is way stronger than what they use for animals. I asked a security consultant one time why the stuff for humans was 0.15% Oleoresin Capsicum and the ones for animals was 0.015%. He said bears don't use drugs.

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-gear/gear-guy/Will-pepper-spray-repel-a-mountain-lion-.html

Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely pass it along.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

My daughter's close encounter with a mountain lion JFo0A

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

My daughter's close encounter with a mountain lion 9RXtR

no stress

no stress

Floridatexan wrote:

yeah, kill the damn thing. They are only in a remote area that has been home to the cats for centuries. Why dont you tell them to camp in a campground where the possibility of mountain lions is less.

SheSurfs

SheSurfs

I have surfed in the homes of sharks in Hawaii, California and here find it awkward to carry a gun in my bikini or wetsuit. If it is my fate to be eaten by one, no one had better lay a hand on the shark. It would be, after all, doing what sharks do in his habitat.

Be smart, alert, know the creatures who can be found near you and if you accept the risk, accept the fate.

Shooting creatures for being carnivorous? Ok, I vote we start with people in the McDonalds drive-through lane.

i spent every minute i wasn't in school, sports or asleep working a ranch in west Texas as a kid... its odd if a big cat stalks a human. we had some iassues with predators... but they are very shy. i suspect there is a breakdown in the rules regarding feeding, clean up, trash... it's a bad idea to think wild animals need your help or familiarity.

on a side note... could there be a worse way to go than being eaten? I'm not sure if i would least prefer an alligator or a big cat. gators could twist a few things off before it drowned you... but being held under a huge paw and toyed with if you twitched would suck... lol.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Gunz wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:

yeah, kill the damn thing. They are only in a remote area that has been home to the cats for centuries. Why dont you tell them to camp in a campground where the possibility of mountain lions is less.

I would prefer a live daughter to a dead cat, thank you very much for your concern.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

SheSurfs wrote:I have surfed in the homes of sharks in Hawaii, California and here find it awkward to carry a gun in my bikini or wetsuit. If it is my fate to be eaten by one, no one had better lay a hand on the shark. It would be, after all, doing what sharks do in his habitat.

Be smart, alert, know the creatures who can be found near you and if you accept the risk, accept the fate.

Shooting creatures for being carnivorous? Ok, I vote we start with people in the McDonalds drive-through lane.

That's you...if you want to be eaten rather than kill a wild creature, that's your prerogative. Most divers I have known carry a harpoon gun and know how to use it.

knothead

knothead

alecto wrote:If she is not real familiar with guns and does not have a lot of experience shooting them might I suggest they buy some pepper spray for bears.

May I suggest the nearest Comfort Inn . . . . .

no stress

no stress

Floridatexan wrote:
Gunz wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:

I would prefer a live daughter to a dead cat, thank you very much for your concern.

Hence the campground reference genius. But if she must kill it, she should call the conservation officer immediately and tell them she has killed one as they are protected in almost every state.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

I been thinking about a camping trip into big bear country..well before they begin feeding for winter. I think maybe an arboreal sleeping bag and a Ruger 44.

My daughter's close encounter with a mountain lion Rugeralaskansbi

The Ruger Alaskan .44 Magnum Revolver

My daughter's close encounter with a mountain lion Rugeralaskancylindersbi

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Here's some gruesome bear attack pictures..warning...

http://jakeduke.hubpages.com/hub/Bear-Attack-Pictures

ya... but a bear would probably kill you fairly quickly. a cat or alligator or anaconda is scarier.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Rogue wrote:Sorry, all forms of personal gun ownership has been banned. They need to fight off the lion with a broom.

You should know.

2seaoat

A cat is not going to attack an adult normally. My brother has a place at desert mountain north of Phoenix. He has the second highest home on the mountain with one house just higher up the mountain. He comes home one evening and as he comes up the drive he sees what he thinks is a mountain lion dragging something off his roof. He pulls into his garage and he and his son grab their guns and flashlights and they go around to the side of the house and there is a 200 lb deer which had been dragged off his roof by the cat. They did not see the cat, and went to bed. The next morning the deer was gone.

So, his neighbor was retired and she would jog down the mountain and back to her house. Along the road there were boulders which were close to the road and were above the road surface which she was jogging. The neighbor higher up the mountain drove his car up to the woman jogging and told her a story. He had been watching her jog for three weeks, and about a week earlier he started to notice a cat following along. Each day the cat kept getting closer to the road, and finally the day before it had gotten in front of her and was lurking on the boulders as she jogged by.....he came to her and suggested that she might consider jogging with a different routine, and a different location. They reported the incident to Desert Mountain security. The truth is big cats rarely attack adults, and I agree with Gunz......grab a baseball bat or tire iron on a cat, but do not shoot them. However, on a bear.....with all due respect....you go ahead and go into bear country with pepper spray, and hand guns......I am going with a 30ought six and not putting my tent where I do not have a plan for a bear attack. I lost a friend from scouting who was hiking in Alaska to a Brown Bear.......he took a picture of the Bear which killed him.....he was an Eagle Scout like me.....he was smart and usually prepared, but he went into bear country with a fricking camera and nothing else......I have been around smaller black bears in Canada in the wild.....and they scare me in the fall because the are eratic.....but going where you have brown, grizzily, or polar.......and you think you will stop a bear with pepper spray, or a handgun.........no thank you......I will stay at the campground in Navarre with Gunz......share a beer and talk about the dumb F_____ who just got eaten in bear country. Predators do what they do....but man is at the top of the food chain because of a brain....use it.

Floridatexan wrote:
Rogue wrote:Sorry, all forms of personal gun ownership has been banned. They need to fight off the lion with a broom.

You should know.

Took you long enough. yee of little since of humor

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Rogue wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:

You should know.

It's S E N S E, you incredible dolt. And don't threaten me unless you really want to know what "Don't mess with Texas" means.

Even in campgrounds, people are sometimes attacked by wild animals. Those campgrounds are former animal territory and there are all kinds of things to attract predators.

SeaOat, that is spooky about the jogger! Thank goodness the other neighbor noticed and warned her.

Floridatexan wrote:
Rogue wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:

You should know.

It's S E N S E, you incredible dolt. And don't threaten me unless you really want to know what "Don't mess with Texas" means.

I didnt threaten you , you stupid bitch. But you DID just threaten me.

I assure you, I am NOT worried about any texan, especially YOU.

Bitter old tranny.

no stress

no stress

Bitter old tranny.

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum