Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Windows 8 issues

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Windows 8 issues Empty Windows 8 issues 11/3/2012, 8:41 am

2seaoat

I had a couple of compaq laptops that my wife and I had from from five years ago, and they both had their hard drives fail around a year ago. I had intended to replace the hard drives, but simply got new laptops. Well with Windows 8 coming out, I figured I would put a new hard drive and the windows 8 operating system.

I went to best buy and got a 500 gig hard drive and windows pro 8 for 75 bucks and it installed seamlessly, but when I went to activate it I got an error message that the windows 8 could not be activated because I had a "clean" install. I then called microsoft and was transferred to 8 people over two and a half hours......and I finally just gave up after they remotely controlled my laptop and modified some security features and made some command line changes. I asked them why are the sales people not telling people that windows 8 is an upgrade and cannot be put on a clean hard drive? Nobody at best buy said anything about an upgrade when I asked for windows 8. I had Vista on the laptop, but as is the practice now, I had no recovery disc, so I could not install Vista first.

I am going to do a little "t" on you.....I think windows 8 represents big brother and I am having real concerns about the use of my cell phone as a modem. Let me explain. After I completed the install, it was tedious trying to figure out the changes, so I was playing with the start menu. I have a msn account, and the email interface is seamless. However, they have on the start page something called maps. I am using my cell phone as modem. When I do a check ip it often does not even have me within 50 miles, and often I am in another state. However, maps pinpointed me to the exact location in the building I was in.......this was impossible under any other operating system and even under my prior use of the phone as a modem.

I know people are getting tired of my rants on Romney and the Oligarchy, but as I was talking to Microsoft support people I did not speak to one person who could speak clear English. I sense that the new operating system in combination with cell phone technology, and combined with the technology in cars is allowing each of us to be monitored in real time as to where we are every day and every minute of our day. I anticipate that I will learn more in the next few weeks, but I am not happy.......I think that the tools for control of the American people are in place and the only thing between us and the loss of our freedom is real political acknowledgement of the loss of privacy which is facing the American people and real effort to put checks and balances into our system to protect against abuse.

2seaoat

I have seen the most amazing technology. The Note 2 Samsung phone came out this week and it has a huge screen, but still small enough to put in my front pocket. It has a stylus pen which allows amazing things, and being that I was one of the original users of the IPAQ stylus phones 7 years ago with a windows operating system I am extremely excited.

Now my problem is that the system has something called jelly bean operating system. My old IPAQ had a microsoft system and I was able to work on word documents and spreadsheet very easily while having the phone. My problem is that I really...really like the Note 2, but with the windows 8 I just installed on a laptop, I can see where you can seamlessly integrate your desktop, laptop, and phone using cloud storage under windows 8. I need to research when the windows 8 will be on a cell phone, even though I would take the Note 2 right now without a question, I do not want to jump too soon and will probably wait until Black Friday for the best deal, and all the new phones. should be out by then.

3Windows 8 issues Empty true enough 11/3/2012, 9:12 am

surfnrg

surfnrg

my old vehicles pre date gps tracking etc.

apple (yes i'm a mac) has an app "find my phone" it can locate any apple device pretty much down to your house. I have used it twice to find my phone. A useful but curious app, and to your point, yes we live in an age of big brother and all those sci fi movies are now reality.

4Windows 8 issues Empty Re: Windows 8 issues 11/3/2012, 9:27 am

seaoat, when i first got my iphone, i felt the sme way and i still hate it. the map will zoom right into my yard to where i am at. even on gps when driving down the road, same thing.

but you are right to be concerned because people dont really say a lot on a phone, but they do on a home computer or laptop.

i wont be getting windows 8 and i hope when the time comes theres a alternative.

btw, speaking of big brother and the internet.....

A U.N.-sponsored conference next month in Dubai will propose new regulations and restrictions for the Internet, which critics say will censor free speech, levy tariffs on e-commerce, and even force companies to clean up their “e-waste” and make gadgets that are better for the environment.

Concerns about the closed-door event have sparked a Wikileaks-style info-leaking site, and led the State Department on Wednesday to file a series of new proposals or tranches seeking to ensure “competition and commercial agreements -- and not regulation” as the meeting's main message

http://www.sodahead.com/united-states/un-sponsored-conference-next-month-will-propose-new-regulations-and-restrictions-for-the-internet/question-3292399/

5Windows 8 issues Empty Re: Windows 8 issues 11/3/2012, 11:15 am

surfnrg wrote:my old vehicles pre date gps tracking etc.

apple (yes i'm a mac) has an app "find my phone" it can locate any apple device pretty much down to your house. I have used it twice to find my phone. A useful but curious app, and to your point, yes we live in an age of big brother and all those sci fi movies are now reality.

I installed and activated the "find my iPhone" app on my iPad. In case it is stolen, I can get it back. I THOUGHT I had hidden the icon for the app, but it is showing up again. Maybe there was some kind of update that restored it, I dunno. (I want to hide it in case some thief gets the thing, figures out my passcode and doesn't want it tracked.)

Ordinarily, I don't put a passcode on my computers and rely on encrypting certain files that are sensitive. But, the iPad's QuickOffice displays a Word file that has all my passwords in it. I remember entering the password to unlock it when I imported the file, but unlike the laptop, I don't have to enter the unlock password every time I view that file (I guess with QuickOffice one password entry is deemed sufficient).

SeaOat, Windows8 should have apps (or will soon) that will allow you to opt out of tracking. It comes in handy when you are delivering your heroin and cocaine to the middlemen.

6Windows 8 issues Empty Re: Windows 8 issues 11/3/2012, 11:17 am

I am a little confused by your post. You said your laptop had Vista, you said you bought a new 500 GB drive, you said you installed windows 8 but it would not activate because it was an "Upgrade". So did you install the 500gb drive as a second hard drive into your laptop (would have c: and d: drive with Vista being on the c: drive) then install windows 8 over vista? Did you remove the old drive, then install the new 500gb drive then install windows 8 on the new 500gb drive? I only ask because normally a windows upgrade disk cannot be used to perform a clean install as it usually tells you it is an upgrade and you have to already have a microsoft operating system installed.

Your not going to like this but if you removed the old drive and installed the new 500gb drive you will have to put the old drive (Drive with Vista) back in the laptop and install windows 8 on that drive since it has a activated vista operating system. If you do this windows 8 should activate since it was installed over windows vista. Now this is not an ideal install because you are installing a new OS over a very shitty old OS (vista) and you are installing it on your old drive not your new 500gb drive. Do a search in google, search for "windows 8 clean install with upgrade disk" I did and there is some information that may help you. During the install you can select custom and apparently format the drive and install a clean version of windows 8 but I'm not sure how well that works and have had nightmares doing windows upgrades. Unfortunately this way does not utilize your new 500gb drive, there are some tricks you could do after windows 8 is installed on the old drive to move windows 8 to the new drive but that process requires imaging software that can do a raw read and write but I'm not even sure if that will work with windows 8 because the MBR index of the boot partition is used for the activation code.

I know you do not want to hear this but your best option may be to try and return the windows 8 upgrade to bestbuy and purchase a windows 8 system build disk. usually bestbuy does not allow you to return software except to exchange it for the exact same title but they may allow it since you would be buying the full version of windows 8 but you may have to just bite the bullet and buy windows 8 system build disk.

There are literally hundreds of options you could perform to get an upgrade disk to work for you but I can't list them all and some are well not quite legal.

Windows 8 phones should start shipping soon along with the new surface tablet which also has windows 8 on it.

7Windows 8 issues Empty Re: Windows 8 issues 11/3/2012, 11:25 am

surfnrg

surfnrg

Yomama wrote:
surfnrg wrote:my old vehicles pre date gps tracking etc.

I installed and activated the "find my iPhone" app on my iPad. In case it is stolen, I can get it back. I THOUGHT I had hidden the icon for the app, but it is showing up again. Maybe there was some kind of update that restored it, I dunno. (I want to hide it in case some thief gets the thing, figures out my passcode and doesn't want it tracked.)

Ordinarily, I don't put a passcode on my computers and rely on encrypting certain files that are sensitive. But, the iPad's QuickOffice displays a Word file that has all my passwords in it. I remember entering the password to unlock it when I imported the file, but unlike the laptop, I don't have to enter the unlock password every time I view that file (I guess with QuickOffice one password entry is deemed sufficient).

SeaOat, Windows8 should have apps (or will soon) that will allow you to opt out of tracking. It comes in handy when you are delivering your heroin and cocaine to the middlemen.

I think what you are talking about in OUR language and not that NASTY windows LOL is "keychain Access? in which you can get all your passwords if you forget them etc. It is on my doc. it does open when you click it HOWEVER if you try to open each item in it to get the password it will ask for either your apple ID or the one you used to lock your computer changes. So unless someone figures out your password you cannot access the other passwords located in keychain. At least this is the way mine works Very Happy

8Windows 8 issues Empty Re: Windows 8 issues 11/3/2012, 11:42 am

2seaoat

I bought a replacement hard drive a year ago and installed the same. I was waiting to purchase the operating system to install, and went into Best Buy and purchased the 8pro. I have it working perfectly now, and you are correct.....I was told this was an upgrade version......after I had installed it and tried to activate the software......I was never told that when I went to the Geek squad desk and told them I wanted to purchase 8pro. I explained that I had installed a new hard drive and I believed the laptop had 2gig memory and was about 1.9 speed......and would this be enough speed, memory.....and I asked specifically how much disk space would the operating system take. He told me that the disk space was he believed about 20mg and that I had plenty of memory and speed to make the laptop a window 8 machine. I also asked him that once I open this software.....I cannot bring it back.......he agreed.

My frustration was that once I established who I was, what my phone number was, what type of laptop and prior windows version.....they should have either offered to upgrade for more money and given my the code, or said sorry Charlie.....take it up with Best Buy. Instead 8 phone transfers with people barely able to speak English....doing the same thing over and over,and I finally just told them to FO.....I discovered that all I really had to do was install windows 8.......waste almost three hours.......and then simply reinstall over the same windows 8......it took my software key.....and it is activated and working perfectly. The sad thing is that 99% of Americans are not trying to cheat Microsoft, but they have become so customer unfriendly that people are going to make other choices, because of their reaction to the 1%.....in the end, a simple database and somebody in a Milton Florida call center getting problems solved in five minutes is better that great features on software.

9Windows 8 issues Empty Re: Windows 8 issues 11/3/2012, 11:43 am

surfnrg wrote:I think what you are talking about in OUR language and not that NASTY windows LOL is "keychain Access? in which you can get all your passwords if you forget them etc. It is on my doc. it does open when you click it HOWEVER if you try to open each item in it to get the password it will ask for either your apple ID or the one you used to lock your computer changes. So unless someone figures out your password you cannot access the other passwords located in keychain. At least this is the way mine works Very Happy

I rarely carry the "football" that contains the nuclear launch codes, so I hate having to enter a password when I boot my laptop, for instance. I enabled the one on my iPad because it displays a file that I thought would require a password each time. I will look into "keychain access" and see what rabbit trail I can run down with that. Very Happy

I have lots of e-mail addresses because sites sell your e-mail addresses to other marketers and I prefer to delete certain e-mail addresses when spam starts arriving. I also keep track of which company had the e-mail address, so I will know which scumbag sold my contact info.

10Windows 8 issues Empty Mountain Lion 11/3/2012, 11:50 am

surfnrg

surfnrg

on another issue I am running the new Mac OS Mountain Lion which I like a whole lot better than Lion, or Snow Leopard.
But it is the slowest Apple OS I have ever had. Any other Mac users seeing this too?

11Windows 8 issues Empty Re: Windows 8 issues 11/3/2012, 12:30 pm

SeaOat, at this URL http://www.computerworlduk.com/news/security/3376811/windows-8-setup-shows-do-not-track-options/

... there is an article about do-not-track, specifically in Internet Explorer.

During installation when Windows 8 setup pauses to collect user settings, it lists Do Not Track as the third item out of seven total.
"Turn on Do Not Track in Internet Explorer," the notice reads.

By clicking the "Use express settings" button to continue, the user
accepts Microsoft's defaults, including Do Not Track as switched on.

Windows 8 users can change their minds at any time on Do Not Track,
and alter the setting through IE10's Internet Options dialog box. The Do
Not Track option is listed as "Always send Do Not Track header" under
the Advanced tab of that dialogue.

Do Not Track signals whether a user wants online advertisers and
websites to track his or her movements. All five major browsers -
Chrome, Firefox, IE, Opera and Safari - can send a Do Not Track signal,
but only IE10 has it on by default.
Of course, I doubt that is the only tracking mechanism on the Internet... wanta bet there are at least a half of a dozen other ways they can track you?

12Windows 8 issues Empty Re: Windows 8 issues 11/3/2012, 1:10 pm

2seaoat

Of course, I doubt that is the only tracking mechanism on the Internet... wanta bet there are at least a half of a dozen other ways they can track you?

That was my point. I think that tracking will and can be done by gps through many platforms. I am usually not a paranoid person, but when I do the usual IP mapping......my current phone modem has never....and I repeat never been anywhere close to where I am physically. However, when my phone was working with windows 8, it not only pinpointed my address......I am telling you it accurately placed me in a position within the building which was only a couple feet off dead cinch perfection.

I think your point is the most important one......what are the other tracking methodologies, and what do we not know. Also, with the advent of Dick Tracy technology which as children we would read the Sunday comic strips and see his picture phone on his wrist.....we would think how far it was in the future.....yet, the idea that government can locate us 24/7. I can visualize old Abe Lincoln taking out the farmer almanac and establishing how dark the sky was when somebody made an Identification of the suspect.....today, in a power point presentation we will watch the defendant's movements every hour for a month before the alleged murder.......or if a person is strong willed in their politics, and wants to stop totalitarian dominance in this country....it will be simple to now track our citizens. You see the fourth amendment deals with government action. However, with corporations owning the technology which will ultimately track and control our lives, the fourth amendment will become an accessory which can be bypassed, yet in the end used by government and the very corporations which so many now want to give humanity will ultimately have far too much power in our constitutional framework, and it is far past the time that we begin to have realistic discussions of the same. Citizens United in combination with emerging technologies sadly has our constitutional protections lagging behind some very real threats.

13Windows 8 issues Empty Re: Windows 8 issues 11/3/2012, 6:56 pm

2seaoat wrote:I bought a replacement hard drive a year ago and installed the same. I was waiting to purchase the operating system to install, and went into Best Buy and purchased the 8pro. I have it working perfectly now, and you are correct.....I was told this was an upgrade version......after I had installed it and tried to activate the software......I was never told that when I went to the Geek squad desk and told them I wanted to purchase 8pro. I explained that I had installed a new hard drive and I believed the laptop had 2gig memory and was about 1.9 speed......and would this be enough speed, memory.....and I asked specifically how much disk space would the operating system take. He told me that the disk space was he believed about 20mg and that I had plenty of memory and speed to make the laptop a window 8 machine. I also asked him that once I open this software.....I cannot bring it back.......he agreed.

My frustration was that once I established who I was, what my phone number was, what type of laptop and prior windows version.....they should have either offered to upgrade for more money and given my the code, or said sorry Charlie.....take it up with Best Buy. Instead 8 phone transfers with people barely able to speak English....doing the same thing over and over,and I finally just told them to FO.....I discovered that all I really had to do was install windows 8.......waste almost three hours.......and then simply reinstall over the same windows 8......it took my software key.....and it is activated and working perfectly. The sad thing is that 99% of Americans are not trying to cheat Microsoft, but they have become so customer unfriendly that people are going to make other choices, because of their reaction to the 1%.....in the end, a simple database and somebody in a Milton Florida call center getting problems solved in five minutes is better that great features on software.

Microsoft's activation and activation policies do make it difficult for the end user especially when it does not automatically happen, it can make it a living nightmare when your trying to activate 200 computers and 5 windows 2008 server computers with no internet connection spread over a 200 mile area. I would have choked bill gates that month had he walked up on me.

I am glad to see you got everything working, please let me know what you think of it and how it is working out for you. By now you should realize how much faster it is on that old laptop that was running vista, or it should be faster.

14Windows 8 issues Empty Re: Windows 8 issues 11/3/2012, 10:16 pm

SeaOat, you might want to consider disabling SmartScreen in Win 8. It reports to Microsoft every time you install any software. Here is a description on it.

http://techpp.com/2012/08/24/microsoft-is-tracking-everything-you-install-on-windows-8/

15Windows 8 issues Empty Re: Windows 8 issues 11/3/2012, 10:32 pm

2seaoat

I spend about a hundred bucks a year to protect my computers with virus protection, but the windows 8 has this built in......finally. In three years the savings should allow me to upgrade all my machines.....but I am going to check this out first on the old laptop.

I really think the Note2 is ultimately going to be the vehicle which most Americans center their daily computing combined with a very functional phone....if just a little too big....but I wear big pants with big pockets....so no problem. What I like is the ability to hook the phone up to a tv and play movies. I am thinking about getting a tv for the office if I go with the Note2, but I am hesitant because I would rather have a windows based platform which I think 8 is trying to create a seamless sharing between your phone, laptop, and desktop. As bad as my initial experience was, and as much as I remember what a pain it was to go to xp and purchase books and learn all the features.....I figure I can do this one last time, and this will be the last operating system I fool around with. I will have to find a bookstore over Christmas and see what books and videos are available to learn all the features. I still really do enjoy learning, and I think these folks have a pretty good vision of where they need to go......I would love to have their operating system on the Note2 and if my cell provider goes there.....I am going to be like a pig in poop.

16Windows 8 issues Empty Re: Windows 8 issues 11/4/2012, 10:14 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:I spend about a hundred bucks a year to protect my computers with virus protection
Microsoft Security Essentials is a free downloadable antivirus software which will work with anything XP and later.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/security-essentials-download

17Windows 8 issues Empty Re: Windows 8 issues 11/4/2012, 10:19 pm

2seaoat wrote:Of course, I doubt that is the only tracking mechanism on the Internet... wanta bet there are at least a half of a dozen other ways they can track you?

That was my point. I think that tracking will and can be done by gps through many platforms. I am usually not a paranoid person, but when I do the usual IP mapping......my current phone modem has never....and I repeat never been anywhere close to where I am physically. However, when my phone was working with windows 8, it not only pinpointed my address......I am telling you it accurately placed me in a position within the building which was only a couple feet off dead cinch perfection.

I think your point is the most important one......what are the other tracking methodologies, and what do we not know. Also, with the advent of Dick Tracy technology which as children we would read the Sunday comic strips and see his picture phone on his wrist.....we would think how far it was in the future.....yet, the idea that government can locate us 24/7. I can visualize old Abe Lincoln taking out the farmer almanac and establishing how dark the sky was when somebody made an Identification of the suspect.....today, in a power point presentation we will watch the defendant's movements every hour for a month before the alleged murder.......or if a person is strong willed in their politics, and wants to stop totalitarian dominance in this country....it will be simple to now track our citizens. You see the fourth amendment deals with government action. However, with corporations owning the technology which will ultimately track and control our lives, the fourth amendment will become an accessory which can be bypassed, yet in the end used by government and the very corporations which so many now want to give humanity will ultimately have far too much power in our constitutional framework, and it is far past the time that we begin to have realistic discussions of the same. Citizens United in combination with emerging technologies sadly has our constitutional protections lagging behind some very real threats.

Surprised What a Face affraid

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum