Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sad really damn sad

5 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Sad really damn sad Empty Sad really damn sad 9/16/2012, 7:20 am

17 Half assed assed events for a Multi Million single use Stadium..... Events Off-season events
The following is a list of tentative off-season events at the Community Maritime Park. Unless otherwise noted, call Wahoos events coordinator Shelley Yates at 748-9001, or the city at 436-5670 for more information.
September

• Sept. 20: Greater Pensacola Chamber networking event, 7 p.m. For information, call 438-4081. Community movie night, 7 p.m., screening “Snow White and the Huntsman.”
• Sept. 24: Bar, restaurant and hospitality craft beer launch. More details available soon.
• Sept. 25-26: Chevy Youth Soccer Clinic. Registration required at www.chevyyouthsports.com/soccer.
October

• Oct. 12: United Way Day of Caring breakfast and fundraising launch. For information, visit www.unitedwayescambia.org. At 1 p.m., military re-enlistment ceremonies begin.
• Oct. 13-14: Latino festival. For more information, visit www.latinomediainc.com.
• Oct. 20: Soul Bowl between youth football teams.
• Oct. 25: Community movie night, 7 p.m., screening “Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted.”
• Oct. 26-27: Concerts, bands to be announced soon. Gates open at 5 p.m.
November

• Nov. 3: Cheerleading competition. Details forthcoming.
• Nov. 11-12: Concerts, featuring Phil Vasser, Steve Azar and Javier Clon. Headliner to be announced soon. Gates open at 5 p.m.
• Nov. 16: Dinner at the Maritime, a dinner-theater event sponsored and prepared by Nick’s Boathouse. Tickets on sale beginning in October.
• Nov. 17: At 10 a.m., Hill Kelly presents the Mopar Car Show. At 1 p.m., the Pensacola Kraft Bier Festival begins, including Navy, Air Force, Army exhibition softball game, fireworks and live music. For more information, visit www.pcbeer.com. Grand opening ceremony for amphitheater — details forthcoming.
• Nov. 23 — Jan. 2: Winter wonderland. Details forthcoming.
December

• Dec. 1: American Diabetes walk.
• Dec. 7: Holiday movie screening. Title to be announced.
• Dec. 8: Holiday craft fair.
• Dec. 22: Traditional holiday carols and songs, 6 p.m.
• Dec. 24: Christmas Eve service from Marcus Pointe Baptist Church.
• Dec. 31: Concert and fireworks, 6 p.m. Details to be announced.
January

• Jan. 4: Holiday movie screening.

2Sad really damn sad Empty Re: Sad really damn sad 9/16/2012, 7:31 am

So, for example, the Wahoos can host weddings or corporate parties at the stadium.

But that agreement did not provide the CMPA with compensation when the team held non-baseball events at the stadium. That left taxpayers on the hook for basic costs like lights, water and sewer usage during team events.

When the lack of a payment was noted, both sides “came to (their) senses” to alter the provision, Merrill said.

Now, he said, an agreement Studer signed Friday entitles the CMPA to 20 percent of the net revenue from non-baseball events the Wahoos hold.

In addition, the city will get a 50 cent cut of each Winter Wonderland ticket sold.

3Sad really damn sad Empty Re: Sad really damn sad 9/16/2012, 7:36 am

hallmarkgrad wrote: 17 Half assed assed events for a Multi Million single use Stadium..... Events Off-season events
The following is a list of tentative off-season events at the Community Maritime Park. Unless otherwise noted, call Wahoos events coordinator Shelley Yates at 748-9001, or the city at 436-5670 for more information.
September

• Sept. 20: Greater Pensacola Chamber networking event, 7 p.m. For information, call 438-4081. Community movie night, 7 p.m., screening “Snow White and the Huntsman.”
• Sept. 24: Bar, restaurant and hospitality craft beer launch. More details available soon.
• Sept. 25-26: Chevy Youth Soccer Clinic. Registration required at www.chevyyouthsports.com/soccer.
October

• Oct. 12: United Way Day of Caring breakfast and fundraising launch. For information, visit www.unitedwayescambia.org. At 1 p.m., military re-enlistment ceremonies begin.
• Oct. 13-14: Latino festival. For more information, visit www.latinomediainc.com.
• Oct. 20: Soul Bowl between youth football teams.
• Oct. 25: Community movie night, 7 p.m., screening “Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted.”
• Oct. 26-27: Concerts, bands to be announced soon. Gates open at 5 p.m.
November

• Nov. 3: Cheerleading competition. Details forthcoming.
• Nov. 11-12: Concerts, featuring Phil Vasser, Steve Azar and Javier Clon. Headliner to be announced soon. Gates open at 5 p.m.
• Nov. 16: Dinner at the Maritime, a dinner-theater event sponsored and prepared by Nick’s Boathouse. Tickets on sale beginning in October.
• Nov. 17: At 10 a.m., Hill Kelly presents the Mopar Car Show. At 1 p.m., the Pensacola Kraft Bier Festival begins, including Navy, Air Force, Army exhibition softball game, fireworks and live music. For more information, visit www.pcbeer.com. Grand opening ceremony for amphitheater — details forthcoming.
• Nov. 23 — Jan. 2: Winter wonderland. Details forthcoming.
December

• Dec. 1: American Diabetes walk.
• Dec. 7: Holiday movie screening. Title to be announced.
• Dec. 8: Holiday craft fair.
• Dec. 22: Traditional holiday carols and songs, 6 p.m.
• Dec. 24: Christmas Eve service from Marcus Pointe Baptist Church.
• Dec. 31: Concert and fireworks, 6 p.m. Details to be announced.
January

• Jan. 4: Holiday movie screening.

What's the problem?....Would it be better not used at all then hear the complaints?...Those that opposed this project from the beginning will continue to wait and take every opportunity to take shots and it hasn't taken long after the baseball season to end for the nit picking to begin...This year there may not be much happening but let's hope that this is a learning process and more events (larger & more profitable) can be added to make it more successful...

4Sad really damn sad Empty Re: Sad really damn sad 9/16/2012, 7:57 am

Neighborhood Services, through a $541,054 contract, is responsible for event scheduling and park management. This can not possibly be correct. 500,000 for less than 20 events?. Someone please prove me wrong.....

5Sad really damn sad Empty Re: Sad really damn sad 9/16/2012, 8:04 am

hallmarkgrad wrote: Neighborhood Services, through a $541,054 contract, is responsible for event scheduling and park management. This can not possibly be correct. 500,000 for less than 20 events?. Someone please prove me wrong.....

so what your saying is the tax payers are on the hook for half a million $$$$ to provide "community entertainment events" ?

6Sad really damn sad Empty Re: Sad really damn sad 9/16/2012, 8:38 am

That can not be right, Must be a misprint from the PNJ..$10,000 a week? .......52 weeks in a year x $10,000=$520,000?

7Sad really damn sad Empty Re: Sad really damn sad 9/16/2012, 10:42 am

2seaoat

I do not know the details of the dollars and cents. We will see some objective analysis of the same early next spring. However, I agree that there should be more activities in the off season. It may take about five years to develop some great traditions with events, and they will need to experiment with what works best.

I think a concert which would allow three or four thousand to camp on the grass in the park would be a home run for the community. I have seen where they would charge $30 for concert tickets, but $20 for a camping pass. A five thousand person concert could generate 100k in camping fees and 150k to get quality musical acts and take the 100k as pure profit. Shuttle buses would move the campers from the civic center parking area to the camping areas. The parking fees would pay for misc expenses of the concert.

If they would simply schedule four of these a year, the revenue from the camping alone could just about cover the nut for this project. Now you set up vendors, and you have split stages with one inside the stadium and one outside running from noon to midnight and you have five thousand folks in downtown. I have seen other communities make this work like clockwork, but they did not do this overnight. I think we need some realistic expectations, but a camping concert series could be amazingly successful at this location.

8Sad really damn sad Empty Re: Sad really damn sad 9/16/2012, 11:11 am

2seaoat wrote:I do not know the details of the dollars and cents. We will see some objective analysis of the same early next spring. However, I agree that there should be more activities in the off season. It may take about five years to develop some great traditions with events, and they will need to experiment with what works best.

I think a concert which would allow three or four thousand to camp on the grass in the park would be a home run for the community. I have seen where they would charge $30 for concert tickets, but $20 for a camping pass. A five thousand person concert could generate 100k in camping fees and 150k to get quality musical acts and take the 100k as pure profit. Shuttle buses would move the campers from the civic center parking area to the camping areas. The parking fees would pay for misc expenses of the concert.

If they would simply schedule four of these a year, the revenue from the camping alone could just about cover the nut for this project. Now you set up vendors, and you have split stages with one inside the stadium and one outside running from noon to midnight and you have five thousand folks in downtown. I have seen other communities make this work like clockwork, but they did not do this overnight. I think we need some realistic expectations, but a camping concert series could be amazingly successful at this location.

I wouldn't mind camping and listening to music. You could get 20,000 people onto that site as long as it doesn't get "built out" with condos and such along the West and South sides of the park. Studer's office at the NE corner doesn't bother me too much... it's pretty much out of the way... up front.

9Sad really damn sad Empty Re: Sad really damn sad 9/16/2012, 12:59 pm

2seaoat wrote:I do not know the details of the dollars and cents. We will see some objective analysis of the same early next spring. However, I agree that there should be more activities in the off season. It may take about five years to develop some great traditions with events, and they will need to experiment with what works best.

Five yrs? I doubt that. I'm sure the park folks have thought of just about everything they can in planning new events but they are obviously hitting a wall of resistance. There is still ONE retail outlet avail inside the Stadium, that they cannot seem to rent out. Two retail units and it took em months after opening to find a tenant for one. Not good.

There ought to be something going on at the amphitheater EVERY week. Nope, it sits vacant.

Not good. Not good at all.

10Sad really damn sad Empty Re: Sad really damn sad 9/16/2012, 1:14 pm

Yella

Yella

I would like to see a fried chicken eating contest followed by a chicken bone sculpture contest with a Hip-Hop Festival occurring at at the same time.

A reenactment of the riot at the 1991 Escambia County Home Brewer's Association free beer sampling convention would also be exciting.

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

11Sad really damn sad Empty Re: Sad really damn sad 9/16/2012, 1:31 pm

2seaoat

There is a group out of England called Mumford and Sons. I have been introduced to their folk music roots and at first I did not get it.....I am now seeing what young people like about this group. They only had four stops in America, and their concerts were sold out in one day. Usually about 15k tickets per concert. They chose sites which were in traditional cities. They would have as many as 8k people camping near the concert sites and utilized downtown venues for after concerts until 2am.

If you put together a great band, and a couple other quality acts which have two stages in the Maritime Park, and then have the headliner go at 6pm......this is what the Mumford and Sons tour was doing, and then around 8pm they have the musicians jam at various locations in the downtown area of the concert venue. They allow free carry on alcohol and have a $5 entry fee to the roped off downtown area. They are saying that the Mumford and Son concert series was bringing 1.5 million dollars to communities which were on their tour. The great thing is that shuttle buses, and folks just being able to walk to their campsites is a new concert model which is growing in America. The cool thing is that locals can enjoy the music for as little as $5 with the after parties in the downtown area.

You need to have a young person, or a person who knows music like our PNJ columnist to advise the folks who are making scheduling decisions. I am telling you right now, Pensacola within five years could have nationwide reputation as a great camping concert venue. You throw in some shuttles to Fort Pickens, or a ferry......and wow.....the sky is the limit. I am excited, and would love to see Pensacola try to get Mumford and Sons next year as one of their stops in America.

12Sad really damn sad Empty Re: Sad really damn sad 9/16/2012, 1:40 pm

"I am telling you right now, Pensacola within five years could have nationwide reputation as a great camping concert venue."

Could have.

Maybe.

Wait and see.

Sounds like wishful thinking to me.

13Sad really damn sad Empty Re: Sad really damn sad 9/16/2012, 1:44 pm

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

WIPE OUT !

Sad really damn sad Boat-cam

14Sad really damn sad Empty Re: Sad really damn sad 9/16/2012, 2:25 pm

2seaoat

Sounds like wishful thinking to me.

It is easy. It is not wishful. It however requires people who are aware of what other communities are doing throughout the country. This park in combination with a high capacity ferry taking campers back and forth from Fort Pickens, and you could easily handle a 15k concert, and with camping you do not have to rip off concert goers with 100 buck tickets. You will see fifty buck music tickets with an extra 30 bucks pure profit in parking and camping. This formula has grown over the last few years and what I like about this formula is Pensacola could be snagging some great concerts in October and November when other venues are too cold for a camping weekend concert. I am speaking from first hand experience......they are missing the boat not doing a camping concert series utilizing the downtown and the park. The downtown business people have no idea how crazy these after concert downtown parties get. You can get another 10k local people on top of the15k who went to the concert.....and most cities allow people with liquor licenses to set up outside. You can see the success of Pelican drop, now think about 15k people camping nearby bringing all those dollars downtown.

15Sad really damn sad Empty Re: Sad really damn sad 9/16/2012, 2:43 pm

None of this addresses the fact that almost nothing is happening at the park for the rest of the year. Is some one getting 10,000 a week to promote and plan events for the park? Well maybe next year we can have King Kong rappel from the Life Flight helicopter....(2,000 for that idea Please)......................You are aware that there is a lot of debris in the water around the park that no has any plans or money to remove. This would have to be done before the Golden Ferry to Heaven could operate.

Ever thing is right on Schedule.. The Wazoos have played and the public be damned
For this year I was correct. Nothing but a AA ball team. Maybe next year will prove me wrong. I doubt it

17 Half assed assed events for a Multi Million single use Stadium

16Sad really damn sad Empty Re: Sad really damn sad 9/16/2012, 7:38 pm

2seaoat wrote:Sounds like wishful thinking to me.

It is easy. It is not wishful. It however requires people who are aware of what other communities are doing throughout the country. This park in combination with a high capacity ferry taking campers back and forth from Fort Pickens, and you could easily handle a 15k concert, and with camping you do not have to rip off concert goers with 100 buck tickets. You will see fifty buck music tickets with an extra 30 bucks pure profit in parking and camping. This formula has grown over the last few years and what I like about this formula is Pensacola could be snagging some great concerts in October and November when other venues are too cold for a camping weekend concert. I am speaking from first hand experience......they are missing the boat not doing a camping concert series utilizing the downtown and the park. The downtown business people have no idea how crazy these after concert downtown parties get. You can get another 10k local people on top of the15k who went to the concert.....and most cities allow people with liquor licenses to set up outside. You can see the success of Pelican drop, now think about 15k people camping nearby bringing all those dollars downtown.

We have tickets for Mobile's 3-day Bayfest concerts. It only cost $45 apiece. That's dirt cheap, considering the bands that will play. Maybe Mobile is subsidizing the festival, I dunno. http://www.bayfest.com/

They're expecting several hundred thousand concertgoers.

There's no reason that such a festival couldn't be centered at the CMP and have huge stages set up at City Hall and the Old Stinky property.

17Sad really damn sad Empty Re: Sad really damn sad 9/16/2012, 8:02 pm

Yella wrote:I would like to see a fried chicken eating contest followed by a chicken bone sculpture contest with a Hip-Hop Festival occurring at at the same time.

A reenactment of the riot at the 1991 Escambia County Home Brewer's Association free beer sampling convention would also be exciting.

The 1991 Escambia County Home brewers riot was caused by a beverage made by a maverick brewer from Texas. Best I can remember it was labeled "Dawgs Piss". Smooth but but a little tangy with a hint of burnt hops, but a hell of a kick. Was more that the locals could handle......the rest is history. As everyone knows, the secret for the majic beer was stolen and was rebranded as.......Sad really damn sad Horse-piss-beer-1030361246
Soon to be the official beer at Stoodervile

Last edited by hallmarkgrad on 9/16/2012, 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

18Sad really damn sad Empty Re: Sad really damn sad 9/16/2012, 8:18 pm

2seaoat wrote:Sounds like wishful thinking to me.

Explain to me where 15K people are going to camp out at? Fort Pickens, never-not that many. FP would never let 15K campout, as there is not enough room.

Oat, Read my lips, there will never be a 15K concert held at the Maritime Park because there is not enough room to hold 15K and the Fire Marshal will never allow this. The official capacity at the stadium is 6K but the Fire Marshal dropped it down to 5,038 capacity.

Again, its wishful thinking. Nice pipe dream but that is all it is.

19Sad really damn sad Empty Re: Sad really damn sad 9/16/2012, 9:36 pm

You have to love Pensacolas solution for every problem. A CONCERT!!! Oil spill? Have a concert with the clean up money.....No Job? Poverty? A Concert will solve the problem............. Baseball stadium with no balls? A concert of course..........Hell Lets think big.......WOODSTOCK 2013 Education? Crime? Employment? Way too plebeian. We can solve those issues any time.

20Sad really damn sad Empty Re: Sad really damn sad 9/16/2012, 11:20 pm

Just as a side note. The city will pay close to 3 mil this year on debt service for the CMP including the ballpark That is almost 8,000 dollars a day. But let them take their time to book some money making events, it is only money. Maybe next year, or the next, or the next.
That is not including the 540,000 someone is getting to book and manage the park. Am I a one note song? You got that right..........LOL

21Sad really damn sad Empty Re: Sad really damn sad 9/16/2012, 11:29 pm

2seaoat

15k is a piece of cake for Maritime Park with a two stage alignment. No, I am not suggesting 15k people camping at Fort Pickens.......I am suggesting about 5 k at the park itself, with some camping at Fort Pickens. Typically, about half the people are going to book rooms and not camp. Mumford and sons are charging 100k for fees, so Eric is correct.....the tickets could be less, but the camping is where the communities are making the money. They do not allow campfires, and they stack the tents almost on top of each other. If some of the camping was over on the new grassy areas of old stinky....all the better. It really is a no brainer.

22Sad really damn sad Empty Re: Sad really damn sad 9/16/2012, 11:35 pm

Are we building a Campground or a multi use stadium? Ge-zus Like this?
Sad really damn sad N2moLVmk

23Sad really damn sad Empty Re: Sad really damn sad 9/16/2012, 11:58 pm

Looks good Lets do it Sad really damn sad ConcertCamping

24Sad really damn sad Empty Re: Sad really damn sad 9/17/2012, 12:18 am

2seaoat

No, I would think the stage would be set up at center field and the infield would have about 5 thousand people with 5 in the stands.....the fire marshall is a no brainer, and not the problem. The second stage would be set up at the amphitheater.....but I simply do not know the capacity. You will be limited by the largest capacity for the main act.

The boy scout weekend had tents in the stadium.....nope wrong concept. The tents would be on old stinky and the grassy areas to the west of the stadium...You could easily get 5-6 k campers in these areas and the 120k would be pure profit minus the bills for garbage disposal and 300 porta potties. Huge profits on vendors, parking and camping. As Eric has suggested price the music tickets as low as possible and cover the costs of the concert. You need a young person who has done concerts to make this work, or go to a national booking company and make it turn key with them taking their percentage.

The after parties in the downtown areas are amazing because you have 15k concert goers who spill into the downtown, and then you often have 10k locals who pay the $5 to enter a central core area where the bands play at after parties. It is a concept which is sweeping the country, and a typical 15k concert has been shown to bring 1.5 million to a community. The perfect meld of downtown and park is a camping concert weekend. The beauty of running ferries to Fort Pickens is that you could double your receipts if you go Friday to Sunday, and include a nominal fee for shuttles and ferries. You could also run shuttles out on Pensacola Beach, and could even combine venues........this is such a no brainer, as the camping concerts a spreading like wildfire because at 20 bucks a night camping fee most people can afford a great weekend and save some money to spend for food, booze, and purchases. This Park is simply brilliant, and your expectations of somehow it will magically do something to get every dime of the initial investment back in two or three years.....is quite frankly crazy talk......how many public parks ever get a dime of revenue? Few, yet across the country people are floating bonds to buy waterfront and conservation areas and they get zero back on those investments....that is what parks are for.....the enjoyment of the community.....with Maritime the payback has been great and the public have voted with their feet what they think of the park.....sorry, I think you missed the boat on this one....just do not miss the boat at the concert.....it is a long walk home.

25Sad really damn sad Empty Re: Sad really damn sad 9/17/2012, 2:41 am

"15k is a piece of cake for Maritime Park with a two stage alignment."

No it isn't. Your crazy if you think the Fire Marshal is going to exceed the capacity at the park.

Being that the stadium will hold 6K, I wonder if Studer begged the Fire Marshal to allow him to fill those empty seats?

The Amphitheater building is a good size but the grass area is small and would never hold over 500 people comfortably.

Oats, you have some good ideas, though you K numbers are out of wack. Have you contacted park mgment with your ideas?

Sad really damn sad Qzxt5u10

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum