Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hispanic voters

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Hispanic voters Empty Hispanic voters 8/25/2015, 10:13 am

nadalfan

That post 2012 election outreach isn't working too well

http://www.vox.com/2015/8/25/9205717/donald-trump-hispanic-vote

2Hispanic voters Empty Re: Hispanic voters 8/25/2015, 12:11 pm

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

Maybe they should have asked the one's who are actually going to go out to the polls and vote?    As to the primaries .... did they do a poll of hispanic Republican likely-voters?

When it comes down to the wire ... it's all about turnout, ya know.

And never underestimate the machismo popularity factor of a caudillo candidate among a certain segment of the hispanic population ... even if he is a white guy from New York City.

(btw - did you know over half of Border Patrol Agents are hispanic?)

3Hispanic voters Empty Re: Hispanic voters 8/25/2015, 2:25 pm

2seaoat

Hispanic voters were traditional catholic voters who just like other Reagan Democrats crossed over for a popular Republican candidate. I lived in Mexico. Honor, hard work, and family with their catholic religion are powerful forces. When you call an entire segment of our population rapist.....you will not get their vote. Trump could not be elected President in America. The idea that Americans hate like Republicans in a primary is absurd. He is doubtful to win the haters primary, but America voting for Donald Trump for President is comical. He will in the months ahead become more clown like as issues become more specific and his utter lack of intelligence and issue knowledge will expose him as the zero he is.......huuuuuuggggggeeeeee zero.

4Hispanic voters Empty Re: Hispanic voters 8/25/2015, 2:43 pm

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

I'm not saying Trump is gonna sweep the latino vote or anything .... but I would not be at all surprised if he does better with them than the pundits & pollsters are predicting ... in the primaries anyway.

And, in my personal estimation (I've known a lot of latinos & have latino in-laws) conservative leaning latinos are more likely to actually turnout at the polls than those who profess to be liberal leaning.

.... Most Latinos who are eligible to vote still don’t. In the last election, fewer than half—48 percent—went to the polls. That’s low compared with whites, who cast ballots at a rate of 64 percent in 2012. They also lag behind blacks, the nation’s second-largest minority group, a record 67 percent of whom went to the polls in the last election. In fact, despite the hype, Latinos were less mobilized than in 2008, when 52 percent turned out. The number registered declined by 600,000 between 2008 and 2010 before rising again. Only 59 percent of eligible Latinos are even registered.

In six of the seven states that contain the majority of the country’s Latinos, turnout in 2012 was dismal. On Election Day, eligible Latinos voted at a rate of only 39 percent in Texas, 40 percent in Arizona, 49 percent in California, 52 percent in Colorado and Nevada, and 56 percent in New Mexico. The 2012 election did feature one genuine bright spot: Florida, where Latinos turned out at a rate of 62 percent, eclipsing white turnout for the first time and boosting Obama to an easier-than-expected victory.

The Latino demographic is getting bigger, but the proportion of those who vote has hardly budged in 20 years, remaining in the 45 percent to 50 percent range......
http://prospect.org/article/myth-of-the-sleeping-latino-giant

In any case ... the latino vote, while important, is not the be-all, end-all of American politics.

5Hispanic voters Empty Re: Hispanic voters 8/25/2015, 2:52 pm

2seaoat

Trump will do an excellent job in the primaries because Trump represents all which is evil in this country. Of course he will have appeal in Alabama and other states in the old confederacy. As the primary goes to April and May he will have competition because there are still some traditional Republicans out there who are not haters........Kasich may not even make the next debate, so Trump in the Primary has buried his opponents. The General Election will be a landslide for whoever runs against him.

6Hispanic voters Empty Re: Hispanic voters 8/25/2015, 2:58 pm

2seaoat

The worst thing about a Trump candidacy is that the democratic party will have a landslide in senatorial races in swing states during this structural advantage year for the democrats. Kirk who has bumbled around since his stroke is at risk, and if hispanic voters register in record numbers in Chicago and the suburbs Kirk is going to lose in a landslide to Tammy Duckworth the wounded warrior who will win this regardless. Kentucky and Paul's seat is vulnerable. Rubio is walking away from his seat. This could create such a huge advantage for the Democrats that the 2020 structural advantage to Republicans may not be enough to get back the senate that year and you could be looking at ten years of the senate in Democratic control. The House was NEVER expected to go to the Democrats in 2016 but Trump could deliver the same.

7Hispanic voters Empty Re: Hispanic voters 8/25/2015, 3:03 pm

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

One thing I'll say about you progressives .... you are an excellent bunch of dreamers.

8Hispanic voters Empty Re: Hispanic voters 8/25/2015, 3:09 pm

2seaoat

I am a moderate traditional Republican. Crazy has turned all moderates into progressives. No problem from me. Crazies are stupid as a fence post, and if I have to choose between a fence post and a moderate Republican.....it is a no brainer. America is about the economy, not xenophobic scardy cats. The middle always wins.

9Hispanic voters Empty Re: Hispanic voters 8/25/2015, 4:04 pm

nadalfan

EmeraldGhost wrote:I'm not saying Trump is gonna sweep the latino vote or anything .... but I would not be at all surprised if he does better with them than the pundits & pollsters are predicting ... in the primaries anyway.

And, in my personal estimation (I've known a lot of latinos & have latino in-laws) conservative leaning latinos are more likely to actually turnout at the polls than those who profess to be liberal leaning.

....  Most Latinos who are eligible to vote still don’t. In the last election, fewer than half—48 percent—went to the polls. That’s low compared with whites, who cast ballots at a rate of 64 percent in 2012. They also lag behind blacks, the nation’s second-largest minority group, a record 67 percent of whom went to the polls in the last election. In fact, despite the hype, Latinos were less mobilized than in 2008, when 52 percent turned out. The number registered declined by 600,000 between 2008 and 2010 before rising again. Only 59 percent of eligible Latinos are even registered.

In six of the seven states that contain the majority of the country’s Latinos, turnout in 2012 was dismal. On Election Day, eligible Latinos voted at a rate of only 39 percent in Texas, 40 percent in Arizona, 49 percent in California, 52 percent in Colorado and Nevada, and 56 percent in New Mexico. The 2012 election did feature one genuine bright spot: Florida, where Latinos turned out at a rate of 62 percent, eclipsing white turnout for the first time and boosting Obama to an easier-than-expected victory.

The Latino demographic is getting bigger, but the proportion of those who vote has hardly budged in 20 years, remaining in the 45 percent to 50 percent range......
http://prospect.org/article/myth-of-the-sleeping-latino-giant

In any case ... the latino vote, while important, is not the be-all, end-all of American politics.

It seemed important enough for the gop to stress its importance after the 2012 elections. Now, Trump dictates the conversation, so that outreach is nonexistent. The Hispanic population continues to grow and they have been and are becoming an even more important part of the electorate.

http://www.npr.org/sections/itsallpolitics/2015/05/20/407954553/the-ballooning-importance-of-the-latino-vote-in-three-charts

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum