Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Memphis to Dig Up Confederate Traitor's Bones - Toss Them Into the Sea

+3
EmeraldGhost
TEOTWAWKI
Sal
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Sal

Sal

Hahahahahahahaha ....

The Memphis, Tennessee City Council voted unanimously late Tuesday to remove the remains of a Confederate general and Ku Klux Klan founder from a city park.

Local TV station WREG reported that the city council passed a resolution that would remove Confederate general Nathan Bedford Forrest's remains from beneath a statute honoring him in the Memphis' Health Sciences Park, which had been named after Forrest until two years ago.

Public officials have moved to take down Confederate flags and other symbols of the Confederacy in the weeks since a white man gunned down nine black parishioners at a historic black church in Charleston, South Carolina. The shooter posed with the Confederate battle flag in photos taken before the massacre. The city council's action in Memphis, a majority-black city, appears to be the first attempt to disinter the remains of a Confederate icon, however.

"It is no longer politically correct to glorify someone who was a slave trader, someone who was a racist, on public property,” City Council member Myron Lowery said of Forrest, as quoted by WREG.

The city council also voted on an ordinance that would remove the statue of Forrest, according to local TV station WMC.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/memphis-nathan-bedford-forrest-remains

Guns don't kill people... flags, innocent law abiding citizens, and dead people do.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

hey lets go find them Germans that we took in after WW2 and execute them also.  Operation paperclip.   All them injuns that dare fought against Sherman's boys need dug up also. Surely we can find others that dare thought they were fighting a murderous unreasonable invader.

Memphis to Dig Up Confederate Traitor's Bones - Toss Them Into the Sea Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQonk8U4sLR-nlZNJpsTOn-HURqzd5bK8Cpg_qJh1e770uX8fB6IQ

All the old buildings still standing should be researched to see if they were built by slaves and if so they should be torn down also.

*****FART*****
IN ALL PROGRESSIVE's GENRAL DIRECTION

Smile

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

(note: The Pole Bearers Association was an early NAACP type organization)

Nathan Bedford Forrest’s Speech to the Pole Bearers Association on July 5, 1875.

A convention and BBQ was held by the Independent Order of Pole-Bearers Association at the fairgrounds of Memphis, five miles east of the city. An invitation to speak was conveyed to General Nathan Bedford Forrest, one of the city's most prominent citizens, and one of the foremost cavalry commanders in the late War Between the States. This was the first invitation granted to a white man to speak at this gathering. The invitation's purpose, one of the leaders said, was to extend peace, joy, and union, and following a brief welcoming address a Miss Lou Lewis, daughter of an officer of the Pole-Bearers, brought forward flowers and assurances that she conveyed them as a token of good will. After Miss Lewis handed him the flowers, General Forrest responded with a short speech that, in the contemporary pages of the Memphis Appeal, evinces Forrest's racial open-mindedness that seemed to have been growing in him.

“Ladies and Gentlemen I accept the flowers as a memento of reconciliation between the white and colored races of the southern states. I accept it more particularly as it comes from a colored lady, for if there is any one on God's earth who loves the ladies I believe it is myself. ( Immense applause and laughter.) I came here with the jeers of some white people, who think that I am doing wrong. I believe I can exert some influence, and do much to assist the people in strengthening fraternal relations, and shall do all in my power to elevate every man to depress none. (Applause.) I want to elevate you to take positions in law offices, in stores, on farms, and wherever you are capable of going. I have not said anything about politics today. I don't propose to say anything about politics. You have a right to elect whom you please; vote for the man you think best, and I think, when that is done, you and I are freemen. Do as you consider right and honest in electing men for office. I did not come here to make you a long speech, although invited to do so by you. I am not much of a speaker, and my business prevented me from preparing myself. I came to meet you as friends, and welcome you to the white people. I want you to come nearer to us. When I can serve you I will do so. We have but one flag, one country; let us stand together. We may differ in color, but not in sentiment Many things have been said about me which are wrong, and which white and black persons here, who stood by me through the war, can contradict. Go to work, be industrious, live honestly and act truly, and when you are oppressed I'll come to your relief. I thank you, ladies and gentlemen, for this opportunity you have afforded me to be with you, and to assure you that I am with you in heart and in hand. (Prolonged applause.)”

Whereupon N. B. Forrest again thanked Miss Lewis for the bouquet and then gave her a kiss on the cheek. Such a kiss was unheard of in the society of those days, in 1875, but it showed a token of respect and friendship between the general and the black community and did much to promote harmony among the citizens of Memphis.

http://www.bencaudill.com/documents_msc/bedford_pole_bearers.html

Don't believe it .... here's a copy of the The Memphis Appeal dated July 6, 1875 chronicling the speech.
http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn83045160/1875-07-06/ed-1/seq-1/

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

How come nobody is taking this one's name off everything? Why would they let this slave owner off the hook.

Memphis to Dig Up Confederate Traitor's Bones - Toss Them Into the Sea This_o11

EmeraldGhost wrote:(note:  The Pole Bearers Association was an early NAACP type organization)

Nathan Bedford Forrest’s Speech to the Pole Bearers Association on July 5, 1875.

A convention and BBQ was held by the Independent Order of Pole-Bearers Association at the fairgrounds of Memphis, five miles east of the city. An invitation to speak was conveyed to General Nathan Bedford Forrest, one of the city's most prominent citizens, and one of the foremost cavalry commanders in the late War Between the States. This was the first invitation granted to a white man to speak at this gathering. The invitation's purpose, one of the leaders said, was to extend peace, joy, and union, and following a brief welcoming address a Miss Lou Lewis, daughter of an officer of the Pole-Bearers, brought forward flowers and assurances that she conveyed them as a token of good will. After Miss Lewis handed him the flowers, General Forrest responded with a short speech that, in the contemporary pages of the Memphis Appeal, evinces Forrest's racial open-mindedness that seemed to have been growing in him.

“Ladies and Gentlemen I accept the flowers as a memento of reconciliation between the white and colored races of the southern states. I accept it more particularly as it comes from a colored lady, for if there is any one on God's earth who loves the ladies I believe it is myself. ( Immense applause and laughter.) I came here with the jeers of some white people, who think that I am doing wrong. I believe I can exert some influence, and do much to assist the people in strengthening fraternal relations, and shall do all in my power to elevate every man to depress none. (Applause.) I want to elevate you to take positions in law offices, in stores, on farms, and wherever you are capable of going. I have not said anything about politics today. I don't propose to say anything about politics. You have a right to elect whom you please; vote for the man you think best, and I think, when that is done, you and I are freemen. Do as you consider right and honest in electing men for office. I did not come here to make you a long speech, although invited to do so by you. I am not much of a speaker, and my business prevented me from preparing myself. I came to meet you as friends, and welcome you to the white people. I want you to come nearer to us. When I can serve you I will do so. We have but one flag, one country; let us stand together. We may differ in color, but not in sentiment Many things have been said about me which are wrong, and which white and black persons here, who stood by me through the war, can contradict. Go to work, be industrious, live honestly and act truly, and when you are oppressed I'll come to your relief. I thank you, ladies and gentlemen, for this opportunity you have afforded me to be with you, and to assure you that I am with you in heart and in hand. (Prolonged applause.)”

Whereupon N. B. Forrest again thanked Miss Lewis for the bouquet and then gave her a kiss on the cheek. Such a kiss was unheard of in the society of those days, in 1875, but it showed a token of respect and friendship between the general and the black community and did much to promote harmony among the citizens of Memphis.

Don't believe it .... here's a copy of the The Memphis Appeal dated July 6, 1875 chronicling the speech.

Memphis to Dig Up Confederate Traitor's Bones - Toss Them Into the Sea Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQP5JSTgz_RV7e5JwJHa36_feEWrOHI7MwreU1XnIw56Bqyu05BnQ

It's the current progressive emotionally driven politically correct agenda, and not any historical sentiments as to why the monument might have been erected and dedicated, that will be recognized and acted upon at this moment in history. Think Nazi 3rd Reich mentality and you'll be there... Sorry.

*****SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjDqR6fCkpY

Smile

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

Damaged Eagle wrote:

It's the current progressive emotionally driven politically correct agenda, and not any historical sentiments as to why the monument might have been erected and dedicated, that will be recognized and acted upon at this moment in history. Think Nazi 3rd Reich mentality and you'll be there...

Progressives complaining about "revisionist history" is just laughable as they are usually the most guilty parties of all when it comes to that!

Most of 'em barely even know any real history and seem quite incapable of even understanding it when they hear it.

Memphis to Dig Up Confederate Traitor's Bones - Toss Them Into the Sea GlobalResearchdestruction-musee-mossoul

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

EmeraldGhost wrote:(note:  The Pole Bearers Association was an early NAACP type organization)

None of this lessens the fact that this former Confederate General fought for the south's right to maintain slavery. Showing that he had become "accommodating" after the South's loss in the Civil War, doesn't change the truth of Nathan Bedford Forests despicable background.

Sal

Sal

Forrest made a fortune as an African-American slave trader before the Civil War, committed countless atrocities against African-Americans during the Civil War, and founded the KKK to terrorize African-Americans after the Civil War, and now this dumbass wants to white wash that history with a speech??

Nice try.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Yesterday,  Sal,  you remarked that I hadn't responded to you in another thread.
Turnabout is fair play.
So I repeat,  how come nobody is taking this one's name off everything?  Why would they let this slave owner off the hook.
Are they just a bunch of lousy hypocrits or what.

Memphis to Dig Up Confederate Traitor's Bones - Toss Them Into the Sea This_o11

Sal wrote:Forrest made a fortune as an African-American slave trader before the Civil War, committed countless atrocities against African-Americans during the Civil War, and founded the KKK to terrorize African-Americans after the Civil War, and now this dumbass wants to white wash that history with a speech??

Nice try.

You left out democrat... and delegate to the national democratic convention. Must've been an oversight.

Eh comrade?

Sal

Sal

Bob wrote:Yesterday,  Sal,  you remarked that I hadn't responded to you in another thread.
Turnabout is fair play.
So I repeat,  how come nobody is taking this one's name off everything?  Why would they let this slave owner off the hook.  
Are they just a bunch of lousy hypocrits or what.

I think people are just sick of seeing symbols of a treasonous insurrection aimed at keeping human beings enslaved displayed on public grounds.

I'm unaware of an effort to remove the names of anyone who ever owned a slave.

If you're embarking on such an endeavor, I wish you godspeed.

Sal

Sal

PkrBum wrote:

You left out democrat... and delegate to the national democratic convention. Must've been an oversight.

Eh comrade?

Yes, the parties certainly have changed dramatically over the years.

Thanks for the reminder, I guess.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

I'm tired of murderers that kill thousands of black babies every week and call it a woman's choice....Like that settles all ethical arguments.....

Memphis to Dig Up Confederate Traitor's Bones - Toss Them Into the Sea ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lifenews.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2012%2F11%2Fultrasound4d8

Progressives are a mass of conflicted idiots serving a eugenics based initiative..

Bill Maher: “I do believe in more DNA testing. My motto is let’s kill the right people. I’m pro-choice, I’m for assisted suicide, I’m for regular suicide, I’m for whatever gets the freeway moving – that’s what I’m for. It’s too crowded – the planet is too crowded – and we need to promote death.”

......Individual lives don’t matter because life is “teeming everywhere” around us and it is something that even a dog can create, he said.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Bill Maher is a COMEDIAN. I have no doubt he made that statement, and that it was pure SATIRE. Because women bear children, and men do not, your statement is an attack on women. I had two abortions: one when my doctor gave me pills (which I think were quinine) to induce an abortion...WITHOUT TELLING ME I was pregnant. I was 20...what business did he have doing that without informing me? The other "abortion" was spontaneous...a miscarriage...something that's more common an occurrence than most people realize. A Catholic counselor helped me to get past that loss. Sometimes nature just takes its course. I don't favor abortion...I doubt most women do...but I would never favor reversing Roe v. Wade, because I don't believe women should have to carry a child that is a result of rape or incest...or (her choice) when her life is endangered by the pregnancy. These are not political issues, but some slimy political hacks want them to be. I remember when abortion wasn't legal...and the results. I don't believe women should be subjected to intrusive procedures...like vaginal ultrasounds...because some sexist moron wants to score political points with the "faithful".

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Floridatexan wrote:
Bill Maher is a COMEDIAN.  I have no doubt he made that statement, and that it was pure SATIRE.  Because women bear children, and men do not, your statement is an attack on women.  I had two abortions: one when my doctor gave me pills (which I think were quinine) to induce an abortion...WITHOUT TELLING ME I was pregnant.  I was 20...what business did he have doing that without informing me?  The other "abortion" was spontaneous...a miscarriage...something that's more common an occurrence than most people realize.  A Catholic counselor helped me to get past that loss.  Sometimes nature just takes its course.  I don't favor abortion...I doubt most women do...but I would never favor reversing Roe v. Wade, because I don't believe women should have to carry a child that is a result of rape or incest...or (her choice) when her life is endangered by the pregnancy.  These are not political issues, but some slimy political hacks want them to be.  I remember when abortion wasn't legal...and the results.  I don't believe women should be subjected to intrusive procedures...like vaginal ultrasounds...because some sexist moron wants to score political points with the "faithful".  

Yeah that was really funny what Bill said ha ha.......

Abortion is used for birth control and seldom for medical or criminal causes. Do you understand the exception should never justify the rule ?

The original premise was to reduce the number of "undesirables" reproducing... leftists appear pleased with the progress.

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

Wordslinger wrote:
None of this lessens the fact that this former Confederate General fought for the south's right to maintain slavery. Showing that he had become "accommodating" after the South's loss in the Civil War, doesn't change the truth of Nathan Bedford Forests despicable background.

Sal wrote:Forrest made a fortune as an African-American slave trader before the Civil War, committed countless atrocities against African-Americans during the Civil War, and founded the KKK to terrorize African-Americans after the Civil War, and now this dumbass wants to white wash that history with a speech??
Nice try.

Thus sayeth ISIS .... er, I mean the "Progressives"(a contradiction in terms if there ever was one)

So let the destruction of history begin.

But remember: "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." -- George Santayana

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

Wow! This thread went from Nathan Bedford Forrest' grave to abortion in a flash.

ADD much, some of ya?

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Well progressives ain't happy unless they killing something...whether it's future or past....

Ask their most revered high leader....

Death is the solution to all problems. No man - no problem.
Joseph Stalin

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

Sal wrote:
Yes, the parties certainly have changed dramatically over the years.

Not as quickly as Nathan Bedford Forrest did ... yet Progressives continue to condemn him, but not their own Democrat Party.  Why don't Democrats get rid of their "mule" symbol ... which was first associated with Andrew Jackson .... ever heard of the Creek & Seminole wars?  "Trail of Tears"?  I could as easily proclaim the Democrat mule is a symbol of hate, murder, and genocide, against my people & demand it be changed.  But I'm not that much of an idiot.

You are aware when he saw what the first KKK was becoming Nathan Bedford Forrest disavowed them & was instrumental in their demise?   The second & third KKK had nothing to do with Forrest (although they continued to claim him as their founder.)  Do you even know the history of the KKK ... not the storybook history, the real one?  

Forrest was instrumental in helping re-integrate his portion of the South with the Union & improving race-relations.  He was the epitome of the "reconstructed" Southerner.   All good reasons his statue belongs in a city park in Memphis & his grave should remain undefiled.

Here ya go .... right from the liberal progressive leaning HuffPo:

"Think that if he were alive today, General Nathan Bedford Forrest would embrace Dylann Roof, the alleged killer of nine blacks in a Charleston Church who hoped to start a race war?

Think again. In fact, toward the end of his life, General Forrest would have likely sought to exterminate those who would kill blacks in his name, or for his "cause," like Roof.

Sure General Nathan Bedford Forrest may have helped lead the Ku Klux Klan, and he's blamed for the massacre of Ft. Pillow, but there's a part of Forrest that needs to be told to those who continue to cheer him as a champion of the South. He eventually saw the light, softened his racism, and eventually worked to destroy the KKK. It was the best thing he ever did. .....

....If you read Eddy W. Davison's "Nathan Bedford Forrest: In Search of the Enigma," on page 464 and 474-475, you can see that Forrest not only publicly disavowed the KKK and worked to terminate it, but in August 1874, Forrest "volunteered to help 'exterminate' those men responsible for the continued violence against the blacks." After the murder of four blacks by a lynch mob after they were arrested for defending themselves at a BBQ, Forrest wrote to Tennessee Governor Brown, offering "to exterminate the white marauders who disgrace their race by this cowardly murder of Negroes.

"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-a-tures/general-nathan-bedford-fo_b_7734444.html

2seaoat

Forrest should have been summarily executed after the massacre at Fort Pillow.   For anybody to defend this man .......he was a monster.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Fort_Pillow

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

2seaoat wrote:Forrest should have been summarily executed after the massacre at Fort Pillow.   For anybody to defend this man .......he was a monster.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Fort_Pillow

Forrest was acquitted of what happened at Fort Pillow & correctly so.  

Part of what happened at Pillow was the fault of the defenders.   You don't fake-surrender a fort; fail to take down the flag; then fire upon the enemy you are surrendering to when they come to take possession of the fort; then run and as you are running away turn & fire upon the enemy.   But of course they were shot down.

Were some who finally decided to surrender after fake-surrendering one or two times previous in the same battle.   Yes.   Was that done upon General Forrests' orders.   No.

But this is a good thread. Maybe it will inspire some to research real history rather than the popular politically-motivated history they've always heard.

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

Oh, noes!!!!  General Ulysses S. Grant, commander of the Union forces & later President of the United States was a slave overseer for 5 years previous to the war??

"Many visitors to Ulysses S. Grant National Historic Site are surprised to learn that slaves lived and worked on the nineteenth century farm known as White Haven. During the years 1854 to 1859 Grant lived here with his wife, Julia, and their children, managing the farm for his father-in-law, Colonel Dent. ..."  http://www.nps.gov/ulsg/learn/historyculture/slaveryatwh.htm

“I was never an Abolitionest, [n]ot even what could be called anti slavery.” --- letter from Ulysses S. Grant to Elihu Washburne, August 1863.

Outrage!   Hate!  Racist!  Tear down Grant's tomb!  Throw down his statues!  Toss his bones in the same ditch as those of General Forrest!

Memphis to Dig Up Confederate Traitor's Bones - Toss Them Into the Sea Martin-luther-king-jr_on-foregiveness_thebridgewebsite-dot-com1

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum