Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Is this web site tracking you?

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Is this web site tracking you? Empty Is this web site tracking you? 9/9/2012, 5:20 pm

This is not an ad, but it will look like one. I just thought I might share something I just found out about... FYI
---------------------------------------

The answer is yes, this forum tracks you. There are 3 instances of tracking here.

Criteo - Ad network
Real Media - a company tracking you
Google Adsense - a company tracking you

I checked the PNJ website... they have 8 instances of tracking on their main page.

I blocked them with a free Firefox add-on (Do Not Track Plus) that I downloaded from CNET at http://download.cnet.com/Do-Not-Track-Plus-for-Firefox/3000-11745_4-75653399.html

It automatically blocks almost all trackers. For some reason, it recommended allowing one tracker. I just installed it, visited a couple of web sites and the software says it has already blocked 119 trackers.

It installs a small icon at the right of an existing toolbar. It does change the look of the page on this forum, so it might have some bugs... it IS free, y'know. I like it, though. Here's what the screen changes looked like on the forum.

Is this web site tracking you? Dnt10

If you don't want a slew of companies to track your location, the web pages you visit, the things you shop for, etc., you might want to check this out... or not. (I'll run it for a while and let y'all know in a future post about how this thing affects my browsing.)

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

good to know. Would it work for Safari I wonder?
I sort of figure were toast already when it comes to privacy on line. This might be a step in the right direction. Let us know how you like it.

othershoe1030 wrote:good to know. Would it work for Safari I wonder?
I sort of figure were toast already when it comes to privacy on line. This might be a step in the right direction. Let us know how you like it.

This is one of their FAQs:

4. Which browsers does DNT+ support?

We currently support Firefox, Internet Explorer, Chrome, and Safari. We do not have any mobile offerings yet, but we're working on it in the future.

Yomama wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:good to know. Would it work for Safari I wonder?

This is one of their FAQs:

4. Which browsers does DNT+ support?

We currently support Firefox, Internet Explorer, Chrome, and Safari. We do not have any mobile offerings yet, but we're working on it in the future.

I just downloaded and installed it and it changing the heading of this website as indicated. Since everything is stretched out by doubling up the heading contents, my ability to log off/on is now hidden.

Is this web site tracking you? Captur13

Ghost_Rider1 wrote:I just downloaded and installed it and it changing the heading of this website as indicated. Since everything is stretched out by doubling up the heading contents, my ability to log off/on is now hidden.

Shit! It did it to me too. I guess I'll uninstall it if I have problems logging in.

Ghost_Rider1 wrote:I just downloaded and installed it and it changing the heading of this website as indicated. Since everything is stretched out by doubling up the heading contents, my ability to log off/on is now hidden.

Ghost, I sent them the screen shots we posted here and described the problem.

Sorry folks, although I like this software, but I cannot recommend it for use here at this forum. The extra links are welcome, but the doubling of the header words are a game killer... especially if you cannot log in and out.

Mea Culpa. I should have tested this software more thoroughly.

Good news, Ghost. You can turn off blocking for just the Forumotion site (in DNT+) and reload the page and it reverts to the original (pre-DNT+) format.

I think I will continue to use the software and see how it goes. I like the idea that it prevents tracking... now that I see how prevalent tracking is.

I use adblock plus for firefox and for chrome. Been using it for years and it works good. Blocks the tracking cookies on this site without jacking up the page.

P.S. If you really want privacy browsing the web try this. http://www.tunnelbear.com/

9Is this web site tracking you? Empty AVG 9/9/2012, 9:47 pm

I don't know if this helps anyone, but AVG Free includes a "do not track" module with their free antivirus software. It works well, but the antivirus tends to slow your computer if you have an older machine.

PensacolaFLJobs

Ghostery is a FF add-on I use that blocks trackers on all sites. When I clicked onto this discussion, Ghostery showed me that it had blocked the three trackers mentioned in the original post.

Other FF add-ons I use and recommend:

Adblock Plus
Ad-Bye For Facebook (Say goodbye to FB ads!)
Biscuit (Mark and preserve cookies you do not want to delete, then mark and preserve cookies you want deleted.)
BugMeNot (Bypass compulsory web registrations)
Customizations for AdblockPlus (I need this to have to access some work sites)
Dr.Web Anti-Virus Link Checker
Facebook Blocker (Disables auto-submitting your data to Facebook. Does *not* block the application entirely)
Facebook Phishing Protector
FacebookBlocker (Block FB content from appearing on other websites)
Ghostery (Identifies and allows you to block 3rd parties (web bugs) hidden on current page you're visiting. Web bugs include ad networks, behavioral data collectors and web analytics providors)
Lazarus: Form Recovery (Recover lost forms with a single click. This add-on has saved me A LOT of time!)
Redirect Remover
ShowIP (customizable features)
TrackMeNot (Protects privacy in web-search by issuing randomized queries to popular search-engines. Very customizable)
Webmail Ad Blocker
WorldIP (Worldwide ping and traceroute. Lots of info on current page, your IP and more)
WOT (Web Of Trust)

guys, i dont know how to do all that stuff. and im scared to try to add stuff to my comp for fear of making things worse.

I know they are tracking me, its just a matter of time. What a Face

Rogue wrote:guys, i dont know how to do all that stuff. and im scared to try to add stuff to my comp for fear of making things worse.

Oh, Chrissy. I am so sorry.

You will be the first they come for, when it's time.

Razz

Yomama wrote:
Rogue wrote:guys, i dont know how to do all that stuff. and im scared to try to add stuff to my comp for fear of making things worse.

Oh, Chrissy. I am so sorry.

You will be the first they come for, when it's time.

Razz

[img]Is this web site tracking you? 02766917[/img]

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum