Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

FOR BDS: Here's some more of that great economic news you love to hype

+5
Sal
2seaoat
boards of FL
KarlRove
Hospital Bob
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

http://www.forbes.com/sites/aroy/2012/04/23/trustees-medicare-will-go-broke-in-2016-if-you-exclude-obamacares-double-counting/

KarlRove

KarlRove

but, but, but his economics degree and worship at the altar of BHO said different......but, but, but

boards of FL

boards of FL

Perhaps I read the wrong article.   The article that you linked to is from 2012 and speaks to the solvency of Medicare rather than the state of the current economy.

Did you paste the wrong article, Bob?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

boards of FL wrote:Perhaps I read the wrong article.   The article that you linked to is from 2012 and speaks to the solvency of Medicare rather than the state of the current economy.

Nothing has changed since the 2012 Medicare Trustee report.  
The state of our current economy (which you keep hyping) is not providing the government revenues to sustain entitlement spending.   The two are most definitely interrelated.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Bob wrote:
boards of FL wrote:Perhaps I read the wrong article.   The article that you linked to is from 2012 and speaks to the solvency of Medicare rather than the state of the current economy.

Nothing has changed since the 2012 Medicare Trustee report.  
The state of our current economy (which you keep hyping) is not providing the government revenues to sustain entitlement spending.   The two are most definitely interrelated.

The economy has performed quite well since that 2012 report, the deficit has been reduced by 50% or more, 7.5 million private sector jobs have been added to the economy, and insurance coverage has been extended to 16 million or more Americans.  At the same time, tax receipts have increased by roughly $460 billion.  

It may very well be the case that - even in the face of all of the above - more money is still needed for medicare, and that should come as no surprise. We have been told for years that baby boomers would be taxing on the system.   That doesn't really speak to the economy so much as it does sociology and how a large cohort such as the baby boomers moves through these federal programs.

As for the current state of the economy, we're actually starting to see some weakness in manufacturing as well as exports (likely due to the strong dollar). Jobs continue to be a positive point as new jobless claims remain low and we continue to add private sector jobs each month (for 61 or more consecutive months). That is the reality. I wouldn't say I'm hyping there.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

boards of FL wrote: We have been told for years that baby boomers would be taxing on the system.   That doesn't really speak to the economy so much as it does sociology and how a large cohort such as the baby boomers moves through these federal programs.

"It doesn't speak to the economy so much". lol

The entitlements (Medicare being one) were not conceived in a bubble.
They were enacted when the economy could provide the tax revenues to foot the bill for them. Money to pay for government provided medical services DOES NOT come from government. It comes from two sources, government revenues, and borrowing.
Government revenues will no longer support the level of entitlements conceived in the past.
So either we keep borrowing indefinitely to maintain these entitlements, or we start buying what we can pay for.
That is economic reality aka basic arithmetic. And no amount of political ideology of any kind trumps basic arithmetic.

boards of FL

boards of FL

http://kaiserhealthnews.org/morning-breakout/medicare-trustees-pm/

Looks like solvency has been pushed out to 2030, so things have in fact changed since the last trustees report.

Just about every prediction made by the author of your article turned out to be wrong.

Report by the trustees for Medicare and Social Security estimates the health insurance system for seniors will remain solvent until 2030.

The full trustees' report is available online.

Washington Post: Medicare Finances Improve Partly Due To ACA, Hospital Expenses, Trustee Report Says Medicare’s financial health is improving, according to a new official forecast that says that the program will remain solvent until 2030 — four years later than anticipated a year ago — because of the Affordable Care Act and lower-than-expected spending on hospital stays (Goldstein, 7/28).

boards of FL

boards of FL

Bob wrote:
boards of FL wrote: We have been told for years that baby boomers would be taxing on the system.   That doesn't really speak to the economy so much as it does sociology and how a large cohort such as the baby boomers moves through these federal programs.

"It doesn't speak to the economy so much".  lol

The entitlements (Medicare being one) were not conceived in a bubble.
They were enacted when the economy could provide the tax revenues to foot the bill for them.  Money to pay for government provided medical services DOES NOT come from government.  It comes from two sources,  government revenues,  and borrowing.
Government revenues will no longer support the level of entitlements conceived in the past.
So either we keep borrowing indefinitely to maintain these entitlements,  or we start buying what we can pay for.
That is economic reality aka basic arithmetic.  And no amount of political ideology of any kind trumps basic arithmetic.

You're speaking to fiscal issues, not economic issues. We should probably raise taxes on the rich, close corporate tax loopholes that protect firms that hide profits overseas, and not repeal but increase the estate tax. That could help cover any medicare shortfalls, and that really has nothing to do with the current state of the economy but, rather, political fiscal policy.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

boards of FL wrote:2030

That's good news for an old geezer like me.  You better hope it holds true for your generation.  Either that or you better become a multi-millionaire with unlimited resources to pay for your elderly health care.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

boards of FL wrote:

You're speaking to fiscal issues, not economic issues.  We should probably raise taxes on the rich, close corporate tax loopholes that protect firms that hide profits overseas, and not repeal but increase the estate tax.   That could help cover any medicare shortfalls, and that really has nothing to do with the current state of the economy but, rather, political fiscal policy.

Those gimmicks won't even come close to solving our fiscal problems.
The ONLY way to have the same level of government services we used to have is to have the economy we once had. And we won't.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Bob wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

You're speaking to fiscal issues, not economic issues.  We should probably raise taxes on the rich, close corporate tax loopholes that protect firms that hide profits overseas, and not repeal but increase the estate tax.   That could help cover any medicare shortfalls, and that really has nothing to do with the current state of the economy but, rather, political fiscal policy.

The ONLY way to have the same level of government services we used to have is to have the economy we once had.  And we won't.

How is it a "gimmick" to recognize the fact that we're losing tax revenue from various tax cuts that have piled up over the last several decades as well as to corporate tax shelters overseas?  What economy are you referring to when you say "is to have the economy we once had"?  Any economy we had at any point prior to today was smaller than the economy we have today, so I have absolutely no clue as to what you're even talking about there.

What do you see in this image?  

FOR BDS:  Here's some more of that great economic news you love to hype US_Effective_Corporate_Tax_Rate_1947-2011_v2

You're aware that Bush cut personal income tax three times, right?  Further, you're aware that we had a surplus prior to those tax cuts and then had a ballooning deficit shortly after those tax cuts, right?  How is it a "gimmick" to point that out and suggest that undoing all of that would go a long way in addressing our fiscal problems?  

And further, how does any of that have anything to do with the current state of the economy?  When we talk about government spending, budget deficits, and medicare solvency, do you think we're talking about the economy? We're not. That's called fiscal policy.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Let's say you work in sales and are paid a commission.  Your commission equals 10% of your sales.  

Last year your total sales were $1,000,000.00, so the commission that you received was $100,000.00.

This year, your boss reduced your commission to 5% of total sales.  Your sales for this year came in at $1,750,000.00, which represents an increase in 75% over your last year.  Good job, Bob!

But your commission is now $87,500.00.

Who do you blame?  It has to be your fault, right?  You need to simply suck it up and sell more.  If only you could have sold as much as you did last year when your commission was $100,000, you would have been OK, right?

I mean, your commission rate can't possibly have any impact on your ultimate commission received, right?  That's just a gimmick.  The only real factor that drives your commission is sales, right?

Your commission was lower this year because your sales suck. And trying to blame that on any other factor is simply a gimmick. If only you could have the sales that you once had!

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Here's another analogy.

Let's  say you're one of tens of millions of Americans who have middle class supporting union wage level jobs.  And the government revenues from that alone are giving you a middle class lifestyle and paying for your health care.
And not only that,  but the tax revenue produced by all those middle class jobs is funding the cost of your health care in retirement.

But then all of a sudden,  the United States economy has to start competing with hundreds of millions of Asian workers who are willing to work for far less than you're accustomed to.  So your middle class sustaining job is outsourced to Asia.

So of course the nation's overall economy is impacted by that and in turn so is it's fiscal situation.

Do you honestly believe that in this new economic climate,  we can sustain the same level of entitlement spending simply by increasing taxes on the rich?  
How would you define the "rich"?  How much would you increase their taxes?  And how much additional revenue do you think that will provide?
And that's even assuming that it can even be done in the current political climate which is not likely.

2seaoat

Scardy cat drama........return the tax rates and we have no problem. Now Bob can have nightmares.

Sal

Sal

Asians, and Mooslims, and Messicans ...

... OH MY!!

boards of FL

boards of FL

Bob wrote:Here's another analogy.

Let's  say you're one of tens of millions of Americans who have middle class supporting union wage level jobs.  And the government revenues from that alone are giving you a middle class lifestyle and paying for your health care.
And not only that,  but the tax revenue produced by all those middle class jobs is funding the cost of your health care in retirement.

But then all of a sudden,  the United States economy has to start competing with hundreds of millions of Asian workers who are willing to work for far less than you're accustomed to.  So your middle class sustaining job is outsourced to Asia.

So of course the nation's overall economy is impacted by that and in turn so is it's fiscal situation.

Do you honestly believe that in this new economic climate,  we can sustain the same level of entitlement spending simply by increasing taxes on the rich?  
How would you define the "rich"?  How much would you increase their taxes?  And how much additional revenue do you think that will provide?
And that's even assuming that it can even be done in the current political climate which is not likely.

I don't even know where to begin. All I can say is that the term 'economy' doesn't mean what you think it means. You're talking about fiscal policy. And any time I try to discuss fiscal policy, you say that I'm talking about 'gimmicks' and that the 'economy' is to blame, and then you go on to discuss fiscal policy.

Let's just leave it at this. The dire 2012 predictions made in your article mostly turned out to be wrong. The economy has performed well since then, the deficit has been reduced by more than half, Medicare isn't going to be insolvent next year and is in fact improving with respect to its financial position, and the ACA wasn't a job killer, and millions of Americans gained - not lost but gained - health insurance as a result of the ACA. The end.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

"the end".

lol

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

boards of FL wrote:  All I can say is that the term 'economy' doesn't mean what you think it means.  You're talking about fiscal policy.

fiscal 1. of or relating to government revenue, especially taxes.

Once again, there can be no fiscal policy apart from a nation's economy because it's the economic engine which supplies the revenues necessary to have a fiscal policy. Either that or or it comes from borrowing.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Bob wrote:
boards of FL wrote:  All I can say is that the term 'economy' doesn't mean what you think it means.  You're talking about fiscal policy.

fiscal  1.  of or relating to government revenue, especially taxes.

Once again,  there can be no fiscal policy apart from a nation's economy because it's the economic engine which supplies the revenues necessary to have a fiscal policy.  Either that or or it comes from borrowing.

Which country has the stronger economy, Bob?

Country A:

GDP = $456,897,316,564,321,987,123,456,987

Tax receipts: $1,000

Spending: $9,000

Deficit/Surplus: $8,000 deficit

Country B:

GDP: $999,999.00

Spending: $500.00

Deficit Surplus: $500.00 surplus

2seaoat

Bob missing classes on PB + Bob not paying attention in college+ Bob now paying attention and making chit up+ idiotic articles=voodoo economics

Boards response........oh my

Medicare is an actuarial table which requires adjustment with increased revenues........not the end of the world, just increased taxes after 30 years of dropping taxes.

Markle

Markle

boards of FL wrote:
Bob wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

The ONLY way to have the same level of government services we used to have is to have the economy we once had.  And we won't.

How is it a "gimmick" to recognize the fact that we're losing tax revenue from various tax cuts that have piled up over the last several decades as well as to corporate tax shelters overseas?  What economy are you referring to when you say "is to have the economy we once had"?  Any economy we had at any point prior to today was smaller than the economy we have today, so I have absolutely no clue as to what you're even talking about there.

What do you see in this image?  

FOR BDS:  Here's some more of that great economic news you love to hype US_Effective_Corporate_Tax_Rate_1947-2011_v2

You're aware that Bush cut personal income tax three times, right?  Further, you're aware that we had a surplus prior to those tax cuts and then had a ballooning deficit shortly after those tax cuts, right?  How is it a "gimmick" to point that out and suggest that undoing all of that would go a long way in addressing our fiscal problems?  

And further, how does any of that have anything to do with the current state of the economy?  When we talk about government spending, budget deficits, and medicare solvency, do you think we're talking about the economy?  We're not.  That's called fiscal policy.  

Who pays Corporate taxes?

We never had a surplus. The figure you wish to cite INCLUDES funds paid in for FICA and Medicare.

Saying the deficit is reduced is humorous. Semi-retired President Obama is who raised the deficit and the DEBT is now over $18 TRILLION.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

FOR BDS:  Here's some more of that great economic news you love to hype Deficit-causes

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

FOR BDS:  Here's some more of that great economic news you love to hype 2009-11-25-GOPDeficits25

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Floridatexan wrote:FOR BDS:  Here's some more of that great economic news you love to hype 2009-11-25-GOPDeficits25

This graph provides the biggest reason why we should elect a Republican president in 2016, correct?

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

boards of FL wrote:
Bob wrote:

fiscal  1.  of or relating to government revenue, especially taxes.

Once again,  there can be no fiscal policy apart from a nation's economy because it's the economic engine which supplies the revenues necessary to have a fiscal policy.  Either that or or it comes from borrowing.

Which country has the stronger economy, Bob?

Country A:

GDP = $456,897,316,564,321,987,123,456,987

Spending: $9,000

Deficit/Surplus: $8,000 deficit

Country B:

GDP: $999,999.00

Spending: $500.00

Deficit Surplus: $500.00 surplus

Right now here's my answer.  I'm intoxicated at this point in time so I beg the indulgence of the court until I can achieve a level of sobriety required to comprehend what I just read.

But under the influence I'll say this.  Bds last post has restored my faith and reduced my skepticism about the capacity of younger generations than my own.  
I'll admit,  that I'm as guilty as anyone of being bigoted agin those generations.  But two things I've experienced recently,  and Bds post being one of them,  changes my mind. And I hope you take that as a compliment.
But when I wake up,  if that stuff I just read looks like something other than genius (which it appears to me to be at this moment),  then I reserve the right to take a different position.  lol

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum