Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What's Moral about the Bible?

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1What's Moral about the Bible? Empty What's Moral about the Bible? 4/7/2015, 5:31 pm

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

As an Atheist, I'm often attacked by outraged religious bigots who insult my "absence" of morality.  Really?  Here's a number of biblical quotes whose message is about as immoral as immoral can get: 

"To wit: How moral is it of God to visit the sins of the fathers upon their children? Thomas Paine rightly called this “contrary to every principle of moral justice.” How moral is it that female victims of rape deserve to be stoned to death (as ordained in Deuteronomy 22:23-24)? How moral was Lot, who (in Genesis 19:4-Cool offered a crowd his two daughters for gang rape? How moral was it that he later (Genesis 19:30-36), in a drunken stupor, slept with them himself and impregnated them? How moral was God to reward this incestuous monster with salvation and the preservation of his “seed?” How moral was the lawgiver Moses, who commanded (in Numbers 31:7-18) the Israelites, who had just vanquished the Midianites and killed all their men, to also murder all their boys and women with a sexual past, but keep the virgins for themselves?
These instances of unadulterated evil occur in the Old Testament. What about the New Testament, founded as it is on the obscenity, as Paine pointed out, of the Lord deflowering Mary and cuckolding Joseph? And then subjecting his own son to a gory act of human sacrifice? How moral is any of that? And how moral is it of Jesus (in Matthew 25:41) to threaten sinners with eternal hellfire, and for relatively trivial offenses? Can everlasting punishments be moral?"

Extracted from an article on Hannity and Phil Robertson in Salon.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Crickets, really?

Nobody's going to defend God's book?

I'm not surprised.   LOL

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum