Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bravo Sen. Boxer!!

+3
knothead
boards of FL
nadalfan
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Bravo Sen. Boxer!! Empty Bravo Sen. Boxer!! 2/25/2015, 4:32 pm

nadalfan

Senator Barbara Boxer, who is sadly retiring at the end of 2016, took to the Senate floor for 20 minutes and delivered a catastrophic skewering to the Republican led Congress for their irresponsibility, lack of compassion, irrational hatred, and obstruction that jeopardizes our lives. This has to be, by far, the best attack on the GOP’s destructive policies that have hindered our growth and security.
Boxer starts out by lambasting them for their reckless disregard for national security over their threats to shut down the Department of Homeland Security because they don’t want to fund President Obama’s halted immigration action:

“This is a self-inflicted crisis, made up by the Republicans. It is dangerous, it is the height of irresponsibility, and it’s unnecessary…..At a time when we are facing serious threats to our national security, to furlough 30,000 Department of Homeland Security workers, and to force more than 100,000 front-line Homeland Security personnel to work without pay. [Yelling] Why don’t these Senators go without their pay? Give up your pay. You want to come to work everyday and stand there and look for threats to our homeland and worry about how you’re going to pay the bill for your kid? Go without pay.”
“Give up your pay! Give up your healthcare, give up your benefits, if this is so important to you. Oh, no, they’ll collect their pay!”
“They’re throwing a hissy fit because the President stepped in and has a policy to take care of immigration. And why did the President step in? Because Republicans refused to take up a bipartisan bill and pass it and take care of the immigration issue like they’re supposed to.”

Boxer took no prisoners as she shot back at the Republicans who used this in retaliation for President Obama’s immigration action, which she says should have nothing to do with funding the Department of Homeland Security. For that, she calls out the GOP on their “family values” BS:

“I thought they were the party of ‘family values.’ Show me where that’s true? Ripping families apart? I thought they were the party of ‘economic prosperity.’ Show me how that’s true, when we know from study after study that one of the greatest things we can do for our economy and job creation is get people out of the shadows so they can go buy a home and hold a good job. They (Republicans) can’t or won’t pass an immigration bill. They will not do their job. So when the president steps in and does his job, they say, ‘Oh,this is terrible! Let’s shutdown a totally unrelated department. The Department of Homeland Security.”

Boxer highlighted the real reason why the Republicans are causing this whole debacle in the first place — their irrational hatred for President Obama:

“Wake up and smell the roses. He is the President, and he is doing the right thing for America ’cause he loves America. And he understands that these are people who are going to help America move on to an era of greatness.”
“Our national security is at stake, our family values are at stake. And our economy is at stake here. So get over the fact that you don’t like the president. We get it. You couldn’t beat him. Too bad for you. But you’re in charge here, in the Senate. Do your job! Bring an immigration bill to the floor. Let’s let this Homeland Security Bill go. It’s a bipartisan bill. It’s funding for the most important thing we’re doing today. Let it go. Don’t hold it hostage to your hatred of this president, and I use that word because that’s what I think. That’s what I think.”

Tugging on the heart strings, Boxer told the Senate of her mother, an immigrant, who she believes would have been deported if politicians treated immigrants then as they do today:

“I mentioned before that I am the daughter of an immigrant mother. You know, I try to think of what my life would be without my mother. She gave me my conscience. She gave me my values. She gave me all the love and support I needed to pursue my dreams: the daughter of an immigrant mother who never graduated from high school, in the United States Senate! But they would have deported my mother.”

Finally someone said it for what it was. The only reason why Republicans have been the dangerous obstructionists they are, towards Obamacare, funding the government, passing meaningful jobs bills, etc. is because they hate him, they loathe him, and they want him to get no credit for doing anything great for this country. It resonates with our political discourse, in Congress and not. Boxer finished with what is on everyone’s mind:

“So I say to my Republican friends. There’s s presidential race coming. Forget this last one. Get over it. Okay? Let’s work together. Listen, I served with five presidents. I’m a strong Democrat. Everyone will tell you that. But I respect the office of the presidency. If I didn’t agree with Ronald Reagan, I came down here and said it. But we had the respect back and forth. If we lost, we lost. And we moved on. And that worked both ways. I know what it is not to like the policies of a president. I get it. But don’t overdue it and make it so personal. Get on with it. Grow up. Do your job, you know? Do your job! Have respect for the office of the presidency.Don’t suddenly say executive orders are bad when the president you don’t like does it, but you don’t say one word when a Republican president does the same thing!“

Senator Boxer, you have taken all the words and all the thoughts I could muster up about the immigration debate right out of my mouth. Thank you for that impassioned speech which will no doubt send shivers through the Republican Party’s spine.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2015/02/25/barbara-boxer-slams-republicans/

2Bravo Sen. Boxer!! Empty Re: Bravo Sen. Boxer!! 2/25/2015, 5:18 pm

boards of FL

boards of FL

Bravo Sen. Boxer!! Well_done_sir

3Bravo Sen. Boxer!! Empty Re: Bravo Sen. Boxer!! 2/25/2015, 6:17 pm

knothead

knothead

I watched Sen. Boxer's speech in its entirety . . . . I wish we could have had similar commentary from Democrats during the last election!
Good post nadalfan . . .

4Bravo Sen. Boxer!! Empty Re: Bravo Sen. Boxer!! 2/25/2015, 6:30 pm

KarlRove

KarlRove

She's one of many reasons the USA is screwed up

5Bravo Sen. Boxer!! Empty Re: Bravo Sen. Boxer!! 2/25/2015, 6:30 pm

nadalfan

knothead wrote:I watched Sen. Boxer's speech in its entirety . . . . I wish we could have had similar commentary from Democrats during the last election!
Good post nadalfan . . .  
You're absolutely right, the democrats should have done the same thing during the elections, instead a bunch of them ran the other way and probably turned off a lot of voters.

6Bravo Sen. Boxer!! Empty Re: Bravo Sen. Boxer!! 2/25/2015, 8:28 pm

Markle

Markle

I wonder who wrote the speech and how many times she had to practice reading it?

7Bravo Sen. Boxer!! Empty Re: Bravo Sen. Boxer!! 2/25/2015, 9:43 pm

knothead

knothead

Markle wrote:I wonder who wrote the speech and how many times she had to practice reading it?

Sen. Boxer has never been one who minces words . . . . . you can bet her words and the relevant points were bullet markers in her well delivered comments . . . . . her points cut to the chase! I know it is painful to hear . .

8Bravo Sen. Boxer!! Empty Re: Bravo Sen. Boxer!! 2/26/2015, 2:25 am

Markle

Markle

Those who survived the San Francisco earthquake said, 'Thank God, I'm still alive.' But, of course, those who died, their lives will never be the same again.
Barbara Boxer

9Bravo Sen. Boxer!! Empty Re: Bravo Sen. Boxer!! 2/26/2015, 3:00 am

2seaoat

Making fun of women politicians has become the new sport of Republicans as they practice for Hillary.....I loved the drubbing that Senator Cruz suffered from Senator Boxer talking about Court cases and absolutes in the bill of rights......I thought Cruz was a lawyer....however, when you underestimate your opponent.....you lose.......keep practicing because Hillary can talk in real time, and destroy lesser minds........The Republican Party of my youth is gone, and the current Republican Party is entirely bankrupt and hijacked. Putting women down is just more of the same self destruction.

10Bravo Sen. Boxer!! Empty Re: Bravo Sen. Boxer!! 2/26/2015, 5:06 am

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Markle wrote:I wonder who wrote the speech and how many times she had to practice reading it?

Why do you wonder that my Semi-sane, I know NOSSING friend? And why should it matter? Too bad your idol Rudy Giuliani didn't use a good writer!

11Bravo Sen. Boxer!! Empty Re: Bravo Sen. Boxer!! 2/26/2015, 5:08 am

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

2seaoat wrote:Making fun of women politicians has become the new sport of Republicans as they practice for Hillary.....I loved the drubbing that Senator Cruz suffered from Senator Boxer talking about Court cases and absolutes in the bill of rights......I thought Cruz was a lawyer....however, when you underestimate your opponent.....you lose.......keep practicing because Hillary can talk in real time, and destroy lesser minds........The Republican Party of my youth is gone, and the current Republican Party is entirely bankrupt and hijacked.  Putting women down is just more of the same self destruction.

Seaoat: You couldn't be more correct! Check out Semi-sane "I know NOSSING" Markle's attempted put down of Boxer "I wonder who wrote her speech ... etc.) LOL

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum