Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What is time ?

+3
Floridatexan
2seaoat
TEOTWAWKI
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1What is time ? Empty What is time ? 1/8/2015, 7:07 pm

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

http://listverse.com/2015/01/07/10-mind-blowing-attempts-at-explaining-time/

St. Augustine had a couple of things to say about time. First, he said that time was absolutely not infinite. Time was, according to him, created by God, and it’s impossible to create something that’s infinite.
He also said that time actually exists only in our mind, a bizarre conclusion that all has to do with how we interpret time. We may say that something lasted a long time or a short time, but St. Augustine said that there’s no real way to quantify that. When something is in the past, it no longer has any properties of being anything because it doesn’t exist anymore, and when we say something took a long time, that’s just because we’re remembering it that way. Since we only measure time based on how we remember it, then it must only exist in our memories. The future doesn’t exist yet, so that can’t have any measurable quantities, either. The only thing that does exist is the present (and that’s a complicated concept we’ll get to in a minute), so the only logical conclusion left is that time only exists in our heads.

2What is time ? Empty Re: What is time ? 1/8/2015, 8:20 pm

2seaoat

Time is quantifiable and measurable. It does not only exist in our heads. I found the answer going to a Chicago concert in 1974......I have many more answers, you need only ask.

3What is time ? Empty Re: What is time ? 1/9/2015, 12:44 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

4What is time ? Empty Re: What is time ? 1/9/2015, 4:16 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

TEOTWAWKI wrote:http://listverse.com/2015/01/07/10-mind-blowing-attempts-at-explaining-time/

St. Augustine had a couple of things to say about time. First, he said that time was absolutely not infinite. Time was, according to him, created by God, and it’s impossible to create... something that’s infinite

Wow. Sounds like ole St. Aug musta been questioning the faith.
Because every reference to God's abilities in the Bible says God can create anything. It don't make no exception with the concept of "infinity".

EDITOR'S NOTE: At least I hope it don't cause I aint no bible scholar and if it does and somebody calls my bluff on it I'm gonna look stupid.

5What is time ? Empty Re: What is time ? 1/9/2015, 4:19 pm

Telstar

Telstar

6What is time ? Empty Re: What is time ? 1/9/2015, 4:39 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

This whole thing is based on a nonsensical premise.

"Create" and "creation" are nothing more than human creations.  I realize that's sort of a play on words but it's actually what those words literally are.
Like all word concepts,  they're creations of the human intellect.  Nothing less,  nothing more.

Since the human intellect does not even have the capacity to comprehend the nature of all existence,  those words "create" and "creation" have no application to that.  They are useful when referring to a "creation" of art.  Or creating an engineering project,  or creating a new philosophy or new religion or creating anything humans can comprehend.  
But only that.  Not to describe the nature of all existence.  Humans have no language for that.

7What is time ? Empty Re: What is time ? 1/9/2015, 5:40 pm

The Creator created.

Simple, Bob.

Wink

8What is time ? Empty Re: What is time ? 1/9/2015, 5:58 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

SheWrites wrote:The Creator created.  

Simple, Bob.

Wink

You just used only two words to give the best argument to deism I have ever read.
The "Creator created" is the ultimate description of the religious faith of all the Abrahamic religions (and in truth all deism).  
And so why is it the best argument?  Because it expresses everything I did in my previous post in a much abbreviated way.  And Ben Franklin said a word saved is a word earned.  Or something like that.

9What is time ? Empty Re: What is time ? 1/9/2015, 6:02 pm

dumpcare

10What is time ? Empty Re: What is time ? 1/9/2015, 7:02 pm

Yella

Yella

TEOTWAWKI wrote:http://listverse.com/2015/01/07/10-mind-blowing-attempts-at-explaining-time/

St. Augustine had a couple of things to say about time. First, he said that time was absolutely not infinite. Time was, according to him, created by God, and it’s impossible to create something that’s infinite.
He also said that time actually exists only in our mind, a bizarre conclusion that all has to do with how we interpret time. We may say that something lasted a long time or a short time, but St. Augustine said that there’s no real way to quantify that. When something is in the past, it no longer has any properties of being anything because it doesn’t exist anymore, and when we say something took a long time, that’s just because we’re remembering it that way. Since we only measure time based on how we remember it, then it must only exist in our memories. The future doesn’t exist yet, so that can’t have any measurable quantities, either. The only thing that does exist is the present (and that’s a complicated concept we’ll get to in a minute), so the only logical conclusion left is that time only exists in our heads.

Time is everything. It is what it is and nothing more. It never stops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9VMfdG873E

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

11What is time ? Empty Re: What is time ? 1/9/2015, 7:58 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Time is the thing I never have enough of to finish a movie before I have to get it back to the redbox machine by 9PM.  I rented "The Equalizer" and had to carry it over to the next night.  
But since this movie was so good I would have paid for 3 nights if need be,  I'm not complaining.

12What is time ? Empty Re: What is time ? 1/9/2015, 8:10 pm

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Bob wrote:Time is the thing I never have enough of to finish a movie before I have to get it back to the redbox machine by 9PM.  I rented "The Equalizer" and had to carry it over to the next night.  
But since this movie was so good I would have paid for 3 nights if need be,  I'm not complaining.
Yeah we all would like to believe there is someone that can handle evil out there...even if it is silly.

13What is time ? Empty Re: What is time ? 1/10/2015, 9:52 am

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum