Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Consumer prices remain flat. Republicans completely wiffed on this one.

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

boards of FL

boards of FL

http://mam.econoday.com/byshoweventfull.asp?fid=461100&cust=mam&year=2014&lid=0&prev=/byweek.asp#top

Remember all of the wide-eyed tales of runaway inflation stemming from QE?  Remember how republicans gave us all laughter in blaming Obama for all of that out of ignorance of who controls the central bank?  Well now the fed is unwinding QE - not Obama, the fed - and we never saw the runaway inflation.  In fact, inflation has been flat and below historical averages.  

Overall consumer prices in October were a flat 0.0 percent after firming 0.1 percent in September. Market expectations were for a 0.1 percent dip. Excluding food and energy, the CPI was warmer, gaining 0.2 percent after nudging up 0.1 percent in September. The consensus was for a 0.1 percent increase in October.

Energy fell 1.9 percent after slipping 0.7 percent September. Gasoline dropped 3.0 percent after declining 1.0 percent the month before. Food price inflation rose 0.1 percent, following a gain of 0.3 percent in September.

For the core rate, the shelter index, airline fares, household furnishings and operations, medical care, recreation, personal care, tobacco, and new vehicles were among the indexes that increased. The indexes for used cars and trucks and for apparel declined in October.

On a seasonally adjusted basis, the headline CPI was up year-ago 1.7 percent versus 1.7 percent in September. Excluding food and energy, the year-ago pace was 1.8 percent, compared to 1.7 percent the month before.

While consumer price inflation firmed marginally, the year-ago rate is still below the Fed's target of 2 percent-especially when converted to a PCE basis which has been running below the CPI.

Consumer prices remain flat.  Republicans completely wiffed on this one. Showimage

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Gasoline dropped 3.0 percent after declining 1.0 percent the month before.

This parameter is simply a globalist attack on Russia...a by product, not a great economic indicator. Lowering the price of oil is hurting Putin...that's all.

boards of FL

boards of FL

TEOTWAWKI wrote:Gasoline dropped 3.0 percent after declining 1.0 percent the month before.

This parameter is simply a globalist attack on Russia...a by product, not a great economic indicator. Lowering the price of oil is hurting Putin...that's all.

Fair enough. We'll say that that explains why you are wrong now.  Why were you wrong the last 6 years?

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

boards of FL wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:Gasoline dropped 3.0 percent after declining 1.0 percent the month before.

Fair enough. We'll say that that explains why you are wrong now.  Why were you wrong the last 6 years?

"Wrong" is a broad word...in relation to what and at what level ?

The federal reserve has "printed" more than 2 trillion dollars since obama took office. Do you think that has no effect?

boards of FL

boards of FL

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

"Wrong" is a broad word...in relation to what and at what level ?

Well, for the last 6 years or more we have been hearing tales of runaway inflation. Everything was going to go absolutely insane and prices were going to explode. That never happened, so the tales of runaway inflation were flat wrong in the sense that they do not reconcile with reality. The prediction said one thing, and that thing never materialized, hence it was wrong. Instead, inflation has steadily remained below historical averages.

You gave me an excuse that attempts to explain all of this away for today's numbers. OK. Why was the prediction wrong over the last 6 years?

boards of FL

boards of FL

PkrBum wrote:The federal reserve has "printed" more than 2 trillion dollars since obama took office. Do you think that has no effect?

Show me the effect. One-line rhetoric doesn't trump empirical results. You have called for runaway inflation. Shouldn't we be able to see that result objectively in the data? I just gave you the data, and it isn't there - and it hasn't been there for the last six years.

Do you agree that you were flat wrong on this? Leave the rhetoric aside for a second and lets look at real world results. One of your favorite rubber stamp one-liners is "results matter". OK. I just gave you the results and they don't reconcile with your narrative. Why?

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2008/12/average-gas-prices-december-29-2008/index.htm

Price of gas has more than doubled in 6 years...but I guess that's not inflation to a liberal progressive ?

Regular gasoline/gallon $1.61

Yes there's a little blip right now but you can be sure when Russia is punished enough they will sky rocket back to where they were.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-04-15/consumer-prices-in-u-s-rise-more-than-forecast-on-food-rents.html

Looks like inflation is actually what's making things look better....

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

If I weren't an atheist I'd pray hard for maximum inflation every night before going to bed!

I own three houses bought in 2005-6 which are still deeply underwater. C'mon God, give us a break you cheap bastard!!

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

My closest friend talks to Jesus frequently and let me know that He is really hoping Santa (his dad) will come through and give him the new Ducati he really wants.

Yes Virginia -- Jesus doesn't want and doesn't like Harleys, leather vests with fringe, headwraps, wallet with chains, tattoos, and leather saddlebags with imitation silver conchos. And his wife won't ride with him because she thinks he's dangerous.

He likes wearing a full face helmet and a leather suit appropriate for pushing a top handling sportbike on heaven's twisty roads.

He's also addicted to energy drinks.

Just sayin'

boards of FL

boards of FL

TEOTWAWKI wrote:http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2008/12/average-gas-prices-december-29-2008/index.htm

Price of gas has more than doubled in 6 years...but I guess that's not inflation to a liberal progressive ?

Regular gasoline/gallon $1.61

Yes there's a little blip right now but you can be sure when Russia is punished enough they will sky rocket back to where they were.

Factors beyond inflation influence the price of gas. You have already pointed this out. Now you want to go back to the price of gas and point to that as a way of saying that we actually are in fact seeing runaway inflation (all the while ignoring the broad inflation data)?

Take your time and figure out which story you want to stick to and then come back.

boards of FL

boards of FL

TEOTWAWKI wrote:http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-04-15/consumer-prices-in-u-s-rise-more-than-forecast-on-food-rents.html

Looks like inflation is actually what's making things look better....

From your article:

Over the past year, costs rose 1.5 percent following a 1.1 percent gain in February that was the smallest in four months.

A 1.5% increase is below historical averages. That is considered to be a low level on inflation. The fact that that figure is above forecasts only speaks to the forecasts.

Wouldn't it be easier to simply accept reality and say "Yeah, I was wrong on that one."?

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Okay I don't think the weimar republic had quantitative easing so the history I was predicting from is unreliable but this debt based fiat system will fail.  It's like a man on life support. He looks alive but he's braindead . Yeah I am wrong so far.  Give me just a little more time.  It won't cost you anything.  Razz

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Wordslinger wrote:If I weren't an atheist I'd pray hard for maximum inflation every night before going to bed!

I own three houses bought in 2005-6 which are still deeply underwater.  C'mon God, give us a break you cheap bastard!!

I'm praying for interest rates to rise so I can buy some CD's that give a decent enough yield to provide me some income.

boards of FL

boards of FL

TEOTWAWKI wrote:Okay I don't think the weimar republic had quantitative easing so the history I was predicting from is unreliable but this debt based fiat system will fail.  It's like a man on life support. He looks alive but he's braindead . Yeah I am wrong so far.  Give me just a little more time.  It won't cost you anything.  Razz

QE is currently winding down. Wasn't that supposed to be the catalyst for the inflation? How much longer are you suggesting I wait?

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Really, with the central bankers pretty much controlling everything I don't know when the collapse will come...but I am retired so keep juggling this ponzi scheme till I croak ok ?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum