Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

New study suggests the obvious: Many republicans are incredibly racist

+3
2seaoat
Wordslinger
boards of FL
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

boards of FL

boards of FL

http://www.npr.org/blogs/codeswitch/2014/10/13/329581400/whats-in-a-name-it-could-matter-if-youre-writing-to-your-lawmaker

In recent years, social scientists have tried to find out whether important decisions are shaped by subtle biases. They've studied recruiters as they decide whom to hire. They've studied teachers, deciding which students to help at school. And they've studied doctors, figuring out what treatments to give patients. Now, researchers have trained their attention on a new group of influential people — state legislators.

Christian Grose, a political scientist at the University of Southern California, and graduate student Matthew Mendez wanted to see if state legislators were equally responsive to their constituents. For part of their experiment, the researchers sent emails to 1,871 legislators in 14 states with large Latino populations, asking the politicians what kind of documentation they needed to vote. They randomly assigned legislators to get the emails, but some emails came from a man named Jacob Smith, and others came from a man named Santiago Rodriguez.

"No one had really looked at sort of what underlies legislator behavior," Grose says. "Is there the possibility that legislators' own biases regarding race and ethnicity might rear their heads and that legislators might ignore Latino constituents more than white constituents?"

NPR's social science correspondent Shankar Vedantam dug into the study. Here are some highlights with some additional context.

Interview Highlights

On the study's findings

There was a difference, and the difference had a partisan tinge to it. Democrats responded about the same to both names, but Republicans were more likely to respond to the man with Anglo name rather than the Latino name. ...

Grose told me that he and Mendez decided to look a little bit deeper at the data and they found something very interesting. In many ways, the difference was less between Republicans and Democrats and more between some Republicans and other Republicans.

The researchers analyzed whether the Republicans in these states sponsored or co-sponsored voter ID laws. Now these are laws that are designed to reduce voting fraud. Critics of these laws have said that they disenfranchise minorities and others who are trying to vote for Democrats. Grose said that there was very strong correlation between Republicans who had failed to respond to the Latino constituent, and the ones who sponsored such laws.

"Republicans who support voter identification are different than those Republicans who did not support voter identification," Grose says. "Among those Republicans who did support voter ID laws, the Latino constituent was very unlikely to receive a response from their elected official. The difference was almost 40 percentage points, which is just one of the largest gaps I have ever seen."

Researchers say it may be possible to temporarily reduce racial biases.

An implication of the study is that the same bias that caused legislators not to respond to a Latino constituent also drove them to sponsor voter ID laws ... but let me put it into context in a couple ways. The first thing is, lots of legislators — both Republicans and Democrats — did not get back to either Jacob or Santiago. So if a legislator is unresponsive, it does not automatically mean that he or she is biased.

Second, this research does not establish cause and effect when it comes to voter ID laws. It's fair to say the Republicans who sponsored such bills seem to be biased when it comes to responding to the Latino name versus the Anglo name.

But we don't know if that bias is what prompted them to sponsor the voter ID laws. That might be an inference, that might be a correlation, but it's not a proven fact.

boards of FL wrote:http://www.npr.org/blogs/codeswitch/2014/10/13/329581400/whats-in-a-name-it-could-matter-if-youre-writing-to-your-lawmaker

In recent years, social scientists have tried to find out whether important decisions are shaped by subtle biases. They've studied recruiters as they decide whom to hire. They've studied teachers, deciding which students to help at school. And they've studied doctors, figuring out what treatments to give patients. Now, researchers have trained their attention on a new group of influential people — state legislators.

Christian Grose, a political scientist at the University of Southern California, and graduate student Matthew Mendez wanted to see if state legislators were equally responsive to their constituents. For part of their experiment, the researchers sent emails to 1,871 legislators in 14 states with large Latino populations, asking the politicians what kind of documentation they needed to vote. They randomly assigned legislators to get the emails, but some emails came from a man named Jacob Smith, and others came from a man named Santiago Rodriguez.

"No one had really looked at sort of what underlies legislator behavior," Grose says. "Is there the possibility that legislators' own biases regarding race and ethnicity might rear their heads and that legislators might ignore Latino constituents more than white constituents?"

NPR's social science correspondent Shankar Vedantam dug into the study. Here are some highlights with some additional context.

Interview Highlights

On the study's findings

There was a difference, and the difference had a partisan tinge to it. Democrats responded about the same to both names, but Republicans were more likely to respond to the man with Anglo name rather than the Latino name. ...

Grose told me that he and Mendez decided to look a little bit deeper at the data and they found something very interesting. In many ways, the difference was less between Republicans and Democrats and more between some Republicans and other Republicans.

The researchers analyzed whether the Republicans in these states sponsored or co-sponsored voter ID laws. Now these are laws that are designed to reduce voting fraud. Critics of these laws have said that they disenfranchise minorities and others who are trying to vote for Democrats. Grose said that there was very strong correlation between Republicans who had failed to respond to the Latino constituent, and the ones who sponsored such laws.

"Republicans who support voter identification are different than those Republicans who did not support voter identification," Grose says. "Among those Republicans who did support voter ID laws, the Latino constituent was very unlikely to receive a response from their elected official. The difference was almost 40 percentage points, which is just one of the largest gaps I have ever seen."

An implication of the study is that the same bias that caused legislators not to respond to a Latino constituent also drove them to sponsor voter ID laws ... but let me put it into context in a couple ways. The first thing is, lots of legislators — both Republicans and Democrats — did not get back to either Jacob or Santiago. So if a legislator is unresponsive, it does not automatically mean that he or she is biased.

Second, this research does not establish cause and effect when it comes to voter ID laws. It's fair to say the Republicans who sponsored such bills seem to be biased when it comes to responding to the Latino name versus the Anglo name.

But we don't know if that bias is what prompted them to sponsor the voter ID laws. That might be an inference, that might be a correlation, but it's not a proven fact.

Maybe blame the people that elected them which would be people of all race, creed, and colors?

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

PACEDOG#1 wrote:
boards of FL wrote:http://www.npr.org/blogs/codeswitch/2014/10/13/329581400/whats-in-a-name-it-could-matter-if-youre-writing-to-your-lawmaker

Interview Highlights

On the study's findings

Maybe blame the people that elected them which would be people of all race, creed, and colors?

That's utter bullshit. If that was true why would the republicans work so hard to deny voters who happen to be brown or black? The conservatives -- including the thousands of Dixiecrats who became republicans when civil rights legislation took away many (but certainly not all) of the barriers that had prevented black voting -- have currently put-up "voting I.D." requirements specifically aimed at diminishing African-American voters, many of which (Texas, Wisconsin) have just been adjudicated as illegal by Federal Courts.

The facts are, racism is rampant in this country, and you republicans are doing your very best to hold off the votes of brown and black citizens whose numbers keep increasing -- in fact, as Obama points out -- by gerrymandering and pushing "voter I.D." laws, you are absolutely committing political suicide.

Which is absolutely fine with me. Go for it ... LOL

Wordslinger wrote:
PACEDOG#1 wrote:

Interview Highlights

On the study's findings

That's utter bullshit. If that was true why would the republicans work so hard to deny voters who happen to be brown or black? The conservatives -- including the thousands of Dixiecrats who became republicans when civil rights legislation took away many (but certainly not all) of the barriers that had prevented black voting -- have currently put-up "voting I.D." requirements specifically aimed at diminishing African-American voters, many of which (Texas, Wisconsin) have just been adjudicated as illegal by Federal Courts.

The facts are, racism is rampant in this country, and you republicans are doing your very best to hold off the votes of brown and black citizens whose numbers keep increasing -- in fact, as Obama points out -- by gerrymandering and pushing "voter I.D." laws, you are absolutely committing political suicide.

Which is absolutely fine with me. Go for it ... LOL

Again who voted them into office? Elections have consequences right...or so you folks keep telling everyone. Just wait for three more weeks and see the consequences of how much folks are fed up with the Democrats.

2seaoat

By golly Bob......now Seaoat has science which says that policy is not by accident but is caused by racism. Why do some people on this forum fail to see their motivations? You have tried for years to convince yourself that when Seaoat is talking about racial issues and policy that it is MY problem. I think America's biggest problem is the separation of interests by the wedge of race which allows the exploitation and theft of America.......and of course the second biggest problem.......restaurant employees speaking Spanish.

gatorfan

It's an unfortunate truth that peoples personal experience influence how they look at other's. The study cited is a small sample of reality. If I am white and can't get my state or federal legislature rep's to answer queries it's not because of my "name" and unknown racial profile, it's because the slugs I write to are too damn lazy to respond. Racial issues exist regardless of ethnicity. There will always be apologists out there who think it's all white conservatives when in fact they are turning a blind eye to the big picture. As usual.

The following is a commentary on a poll that shows the racism issue is not confined to the usual stereotypes.

"Are blacks more racist than whites?"
July 10, 2013|Clarence Page

"What defies the usual stereotypes is the sizable minority of blacks, 31 percent, who agreed with the 38 percent of whites in the poll who think most blacks are racist. That's higher than the 24 percent of blacks (and 10 percent of whites) who think most whites are racist.

That stereotype-shattering result might suggest that we black folks have some work to do in cleaning up our own prejudices. Understood. But what? The poll offers not a clue."

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-07-10/news/ct-oped-0710-page-20130710_1_racist-blacks-whites

The article is from a left wing slanted univeristy trying to justify
Their existence by publishing BS,
Slanted polls and data

boards of FL

boards of FL

gatorfan wrote:It's an unfortunate truth that peoples personal experience influence how they look at other's. The study cited is a small sample of reality. If I am white and can't get my state or federal legislature rep's to answer queries it's not because of my "name" and unknown racial profile, it's because the slugs I write to are too damn lazy to respond. Racial issues exist regardless of ethnicity.

Not true.  Read the results of the study.  If your state legislator is a democrat, it won't matter what your name is.  If your state legislator is a republican, however, don't expect a response unless you have a name that sounds white.  And this is the case by a 40% margin.

Reading the results and originator of the study is that if you come from a hotbed of liberal thinking you are going to blame your circumstances on others and not yourself.

Sal

Sal

Just another episode of Things We Already Knew Proved By Science.

2seaoat

Just another episode of Things We Already Knew Proved By Science.

Amen! notice the immediate false equivalency posted by a forum member who denies the science. It is a knee jerk involuntary response which confirms the science......again and again. There are scientific solutions......but heck.....its not that easy to have courage and be rational.....knee jerk is always an easy answer.

There's nothing scientific about a slanted data set formulated to get an answer you want.

This should be a lesson in bias. It helps when you demean and turn your targets into less than human.

Lord forbid the collective tolerate any free thinkers.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

boards of FL

boards of FL

PACEDOG#1 wrote:There's nothing scientific about a slanted data set formulated to get an answer you want.

Care to cite - specifically - what it is that you see as being slanted here, or are you just making shit up?

2seaoat

Another life long Republican calling the "new" Republican Party racist. It is. I hated Dixiecrats and what they stood for as a kid, and I hate what they have done to the republican party. It is like a leech which has connected to a host and is sucking the vitality of a once vibrant Main street business party, and made it the party of fear, special interests, and failure.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

2seaoat wrote:Another life long Republican calling the "new" Republican Party racist.  It is.  I hated Dixiecrats and what they stood for as a kid, and I hate what they have done to the republican party.  It is like a leech which has connected to a host and is sucking the vitality of a once vibrant Main street business party, and made it the party of fear, special interests, and failure.

Well stated! But you do recognize that you're talking about almost half of our population, right? Of course, next month, it will be considerably less than half.

And in five years, even despite their desperate efforts to deny voting rights to brown and black people in the United States, the republicans will be a shrinking minority.

Couldn't happen to more deserving folks!

gatorfan

boards of FL wrote:
gatorfan wrote:It's an unfortunate truth that peoples personal experience influence how they look at other's. The study cited is a small sample of reality. If I am white and can't get my state or federal legislature rep's to answer queries it's not because of my "name" and unknown racial profile, it's because the slugs I write to are too damn lazy to respond. Racial issues exist regardless of ethnicity.

Not true.  Read the results of the study.  If your state legislator is a democrat, it won't matter what your name is.  If your state legislator is a republican, however, don't expect a response unless you have a name that sounds white.  And this is the case by a 40% margin.

Did you bother reading the poll results I linked? Doubtful, if you did you would realize racism is not a Republican, Democrat, White, Black or anything else issue. It's an issue that can be readily applied to any ethnic group or even political group.

The little "study" you posted is hardly "science", the results even indicate the weaknesses if you know how to read. Just like the poll I linked.

Are there Republican "racists"? Hell yes. Are there Democrat "racists"? Hell yes.

But you once again choose to ignore information that doesn't suit your view.

gatorfan

2seaoat wrote:Just another episode of Things We Already Knew Proved By Science.

Amen!  notice the immediate false equivalency posted by a forum member who denies the science.  It is a knee jerk involuntary response which confirms the science......again and again.   There are scientific solutions......but heck.....its not that easy to have courage and be rational.....knee jerk is always an easy answer.

Since when have you been "rational"? Rational people don't habitually ignore facts just because they don't like the answers. You're a pitiful hypocrite but everyone has to be something.......

Well stated? Lol... but not true. The dixiecrats went nowhere. They were elected for decades as democrats.

2seaoat

Since when have you been "rational"?
When I rationally broke down your racist post. I hit a nerve again. If only the nerves would extend to the brain......but the proof is in the pudding.

boards of FL

boards of FL

gatorfan wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

Did you bother reading the poll results I linked? Doubtful, if you did you would realize racism is not a Republican, Democrat, White, Black or anything else issue. It's an issue that can be readily applied to any ethnic group or even political group.

The little "study" you posted is hardly "science", the results even indicate the weaknesses if you know how to read. Just like the poll I linked.

Are there Republican "racists"? Hell yes. Are there Democrat "racists"? Hell yes.

But you once again choose to ignore information that doesn't suit your view.

I didn't read your story because it is irrelevant. No one here is claiming that any racial demographic holds a monopoly on racism. You're trying to make a case for something that no one is disputing. Further, your article doesn't provide us with anything that directly addresses the sharply contrasted results found in the study that I provided in my original post.

The issue at hand is that democratic legislators responded to the latino and anglo names equally. We cannot say the same for republicans. This outcome confirms what many see as an obvious fact: republicans are often racist assholes. Well, the ones that support voter ID restrictions to voting, at least....by a 40% margin.

Give it another read and perhaps it will sink in. Not likely, but it's worth a shot.

2seaoat

The dixiecrats went nowhere. They were elected for decades as democrats.

You are a bit off on your time.....they were elected for over a century. They were the party of the Confederacy. They were evil. They remain evil. They just now call themselves Republicans. At least since Nixon's Southern strategy.

gatorfan

2seaoat wrote:Since when have you been "rational"?
When I rationally broke down your racist post.  I hit a nerve again.  If only the nerves would extend to the brain......but the proof is in the pudding.

What was racist about my post? Nothing. But then if you can't make it fit you make it up. My two year old grand daughter is more capable of intelligent discussion than you. I grant you that your entertainment value is pretty high though. I love to point out ignorance but I wish you wouldn't keep me so busy.

2seaoat

What was racist about my post?

Your immediate use of false equivalency rather than rationally discussing Boards post. It is racism 101 which teaches those limited in their ability to carry on rational conversation to immediately posit something which is irrelevant and shows that the victims of crime have less than stellar character. We finally stopped this behavior in regard to rape victims, but it still is used and taught in racism 101. Again, I have hit a nerve.....if only that nerve would connect with the brain.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum