Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

A pitbull attacked my dog tonight

+5
Sal
Snyderfish
Joanimaroni
QueenOfHearts
Vikingwoman
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

cool1

cool1

Im so sorry your dog got hurt , Oh my goodness , I would have lost it right there man , Really I would have , All my dogs are my little people . I saw a Pitt Bull pull a man down my street and they called the police , Of course I told my neighbor yea it happened and my neighbor said it didn't LOL But it did and I wasn't going to take up for them .

Vikingwoman

Joanimaroni wrote:
Vikingwoman wrote:
QueenOfHearts wrote:I doubt an attorney will take this on a contingency basis since his fee would be limited to one third of your recovery.  You can file a small claims suit on your own.  Get a police report.  How can one know how many times a dog has attacked if no report is made?

I would call the homeowner and fill him in on some details.  Find out his insurer and report it to them.  I wouldn't be surprised if the renter either had to get rid of her dog or move.

Hope your pup gets well soon.

Thank you Queen. She is doing better. Pain meds are making her unsteady. I filed a report w/ animal control today and even brought my dog w/ me so they could see the damage. I asked them did they want to see my dog and they said "no". Really? I thought so anyone could swear out a complaint w/ no evidence? They said they would be issuing her a ticket. We'll see. I called The SRSO to get the woman's name and they told me there was no report. I have a case # and gave it to them and they said no info was taken. It's listed as a disturbance. I then called the Deputy who told me I could get a report and he says "well, there was no report to take. It didn't happen." I said what didn't happen? He says they didn't let the dog out." I said you were there when it happened? He got pissed and said call the animal control and get a report! I said" no, I'm going to email the Sheriff and discuss it w/ him due to the fact that I just wanted a report documented when and if this happens again. If they do sic the dog on someone again there is now no history of prior reports.I told him I didn't ask him to decide whether it happened or not as I was fully aware the woman would deny it and it was my word against hers." He says well go email the Sheriff all you want. I said I will and hung up. I then called his Sgt. and he was very nice but didn't know anything about it. I also called the Officers Lt. and left a message so I will probably be arrested some time soon for anything this deputy can find. I am emailing the Sheriff in the morning to vent my concerns about this officer who just decides something didn't happen.WTF!

Did you call 911? The dispatch calls are recorded.

Oh yes I called 911 and I'd like to listen to the call now because I was hysterical.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

I hope you're feeling better, Viking. It's a wonder the dog didn't attack YOU. Please look for a lawyer. I will tell you this, though...although to some extent, breed is a factor...pit bulls are notoriously loyal, for one thing...but my daughter's dog...a pit bull...was attacked and mauled by the bull mastiff that lived next door to her...he jumped the fence, probably for her food...his owners were to busy doing drugs to pay attention to his needs...but they paid the vet bill and they're lucky at that, because it could have been much worse for them. Definitely inform the owner of the house...and definitely look for legal representation.

QueenOfHearts

QueenOfHearts

Any updates? How is your dog?

Vikingwoman

Thank you FT. I do have an update. I went to the Sheriff's Office and got the report. Nothing more than a 911 call. I then asked to speak to the Lt. and told him the situation and what I had originally wanted which just was a report. I discussed my conversation regarding the Deputy and his lack of courtesy and talking down to me. He told me the report would be written and a Deputy came out today. I had earlier today gone to the Animal control and gotten their report which was a shame on wheels.The only thing the report basically said was the owner said I was on her property when the attack occurred which is untrue and the dog was taken to the animal control office to be viewed off it's property and everyone in the office said it was sweet and non aggressive. No mention of them letting the dog out on me. I did find a neighbor who witnessed the whole thing and verified the dog was let out the front door and not let out by the kids from the backyard as the owner had stated. I advised the animal control officer the dog had approached a small child and grandmother barking and the officer said she was not taking past issues that were not reported. As far as I know the animal was not ticketed w/ a dangerous dog citation although mine was for barking at another animal in 2008. The owner got a ticket for the dog being off the leash. This is what we have in SRC as an animal control.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

What's next?

Vikingwoman

Well, I am going back down to animal control today and pulling the history of the dog and well as my own and asking to meet w/ the director to discuss why the dog did not get a dangerous dog ticket. Fl statutes state a dog can be cited for that if he approaches in a threatening manner to any human or other animal. I got affidavits yesterday and plan to get the neighbors who saw the pitt roaming the streets as well as the grandmother who the dog chased w/ the child. I am going to give the officer the "past issues" so she can address them. I spoke w/ the owner on the phone and she agreed to pay the vet bill in payments and was going to call me back after she spoke w/ her boyfriend. She agreed to pay when I told her I would have to sue her and the landlord. The owner just got off probation for drug dealing. She never called me back so I called the realty and told them the situation and that I was going to have to sue their tenant and the landlord who lives in Jacksonville. I don't know if the realty knew she had pitbulls but they do now. They told me to fax the bill and reports to them.

Just for FYI, you can do a dangerous dog affidavit and ask for hearing before the county commissioner, risk manager and director of the animal control if they do nothing about an animal who has attacked.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Vikingwoman wrote:Well, I am going back down to animal control today and pulling the history of the dog and well as my own and asking to meet w/ the director to discuss why the dog did not get a dangerous dog ticket. Fl statutes state a dog can be cited for that if he approaches in a threatening manner to any human or other animal. I got affidavits yesterday and plan to get the neighbors who saw the pitt roaming the streets as well as the grandmother who the dog chased w/ the child. I am going to give the officer the "past issues" so she can address them. I spoke w/ the owner on the phone and she agreed to pay the vet bill in payments and was going to call me back after she spoke w/ her boyfriend. She agreed to pay when I told her I would have to sue her and the landlord. The owner just got off probation for drug dealing. She never called me back so I called the realty and told them the situation and that I was going to have to sue their tenant and the landlord who lives in Jacksonville. I don't know if the realty knew she had pitbulls but they do now. They told me to fax the bill and reports to them.

Just for FYI, you can do a dangerous dog affidavit and ask for hearing before the county commissioner, risk manager and director of the animal control if they do nothing about an animal who has attacked.

What I said before.....if you do not get anywhere with animal control contact the county attorney and county commissioners. If you create enough stink you will get action. If not they will sweep it under the rug.

Vikingwoman

I am not getting anywhere w/ animal control. In fact, after the officer said the woman was getting a citation I went down to pull the history and the notes said she spoke w/ the grandmother who originally let the pit out and she verified I was standing in her yard. So the animal control officer decided the dog was protecting his property and didn't issue her a ticket. WTF!

I then decided to get affidavits of the pitbull roaming because animal control said there were no reports of the dog getting out. I found an elderly couple who last
year in Oct. were stopped by animal control warning them both pits were out and they were looking for them. The notes indicated there was a contact in Oct. 2013 but no notes as to why the contact was made or any report of the dogs getting out.Only a sentence indicating one of the dogs was not vaccinated. Due to their poor documentation there is no record of the dogs roaming or even the call! I am so disgusted by the incompetent quality of work done by the SRC animal control.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Vikingwoman wrote:I am not getting anywhere w/ animal control. In fact, after the officer said the woman was getting a citation I went down to pull the history and the notes said she spoke w/ the grandmother who originally let the pit out and she verified I was standing in her yard. So the animal control officer decided the dog was protecting his property and didn't issue her a ticket. WTF!

I then decided to get affidavits of the pitbull roaming because animal control said there were no reports of the dog getting out. I found an elderly couple who last
year in Oct. were stopped by animal control warning them both pits were out and they were looking for them. The notes indicated there was a contact in Oct. 2013 but no notes as to why the contact was made or any report of the dogs getting out.Only a sentence indicating one of the dogs was not vaccinated. Due to their poor documentation there is no record of the dogs roaming or even the call! I am so disgusted by the incompetent quality of work done by the SRC animal control.

Gather all your information and schedule a meeting with your commissioner regarding the incompetence of animal control. Get statements from neighbors including the neighbor that saw you in the street, tell the commissioner you will be contacting the county attorney.

A dog running in the street to protect his property....give me a fucking break!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum