Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Serious Question ....

+6
2seaoat
nadalfan
boards of FL
Floridatexan
Joanimaroni
Sal
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Serious Question .... Empty Serious Question .... 10/3/2014, 12:53 pm

Sal

Sal

Are cowardly people conservative because they're cowardly, or are conservatives cowardly because they're conservative?

Seriously, these people are in a blind panic about something new every other week.

Ebola, ISIS, immigrant children, blacks playing the knockout game ....

.... the list is endless.

It makes me wonder ....

Are easily frightened people inherently attracted to so-called conservative ideas for some reason?

Or, does the science denying and reality free right-wing echo chamber's endless fear-mongering induce this much panic?

Maybe, FAUX News just knows their audience.

2Serious Question .... Empty Re: Serious Question .... 10/3/2014, 1:03 pm

I wonder the same thing about leftist govt solutions for every damn thing.

Seriously... try to think of something the govt isn't involved in... fucking fraidy cats.

3Serious Question .... Empty Re: Serious Question .... 10/3/2014, 1:11 pm

Sal

Sal

Th Dude wrote:I wonder the same thing about leftist govt solutions for every damn thing.

Seriously... try to think of something the govt isn't involved in... fucking fraidy cats.

Well, a glibertarian response to an Ebola outbreak would be quite the spectacle.

I'll grant you that.

Prolly, look a lot like Liberia.

4Serious Question .... Empty Re: Serious Question .... 10/3/2014, 1:24 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Th Dude wrote:I wonder the same thing about leftist govt solutions for every damn thing.

Leftist don't worry....the government will tell them everything they WANT them to know.

5Serious Question .... Empty Re: Serious Question .... 10/3/2014, 1:31 pm

Sal

Sal

Have you read the reports coming out about how the dude in Texas got infected?

Apparently, a woman who lived in the same house was in the last stages of the disease - convulsing and bleeding.

He rode with her in a taxi and helped to get her into the hospital.

THE HOSPITAL SENT HER HOME TO DIE.

That's why this is spreading like wildfire over there.

They have no resources to even isolate and contain seriously infectious people even when they are in the terminal stages and most infectious.

That's what glibertarian land looks like.

6Serious Question .... Empty Re: Serious Question .... 10/3/2014, 1:36 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickungar/2012/05/24/who-is-the-smallest-government-spender-since-eisenhower-would-you-believe-its-barack-obama/

Who Is The Smallest Government Spender Since Eisenhower? Would You Believe It's Barack Obama?

t’s enough to make even the most ardent Obama cynic scratch his head in confusion.

Amidst all the cries of Barack Obama being the most prolific big government spender the nation has ever suffered, Marketwatch is reporting that our president has actually been tighter with a buck than any United States president since Dwight D. Eisenhower.

Who knew?

Check out the chart –

Serious Question .... MW-AR658_spendi_20120521163312_ME11

[...]

7Serious Question .... Empty Re: Serious Question .... 10/3/2014, 1:39 pm

People get sick and die... you don't see me fretting about it. Nature is especially cruel to those that don't prepare.

A little more natural selection would benefit our species imo.

8Serious Question .... Empty Re: Serious Question .... 10/3/2014, 1:42 pm

Sal

Sal

Th Dude wrote:People get sick and die... you don't see me fretting about it. Nature is especially cruel to those that don't prepare.

Exactly.

That is why you should just walk away from a thread like this.

Your axioms and paeans to LIBERTEEZ and FREEDUMBZ can't withstand even a brush with reality, and you just end up looking like a heartless dumbass.

9Serious Question .... Empty Re: Serious Question .... 10/3/2014, 1:43 pm

Floridatexan wrote:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickungar/2012/05/24/who-is-the-smallest-government-spender-since-eisenhower-would-you-believe-its-barack-obama/

Who Is The Smallest Government Spender Since Eisenhower? Would You Believe It's Barack Obama?

t’s enough to make even the most ardent Obama cynic scratch his head in confusion.

Amidst all the cries of Barack Obama being the most prolific big government spender the nation has ever suffered, Marketwatch is reporting that our president has actually been tighter with a buck than any United States president since Dwight D. Eisenhower.

Who knew?

Check out the chart –

Serious Question .... MW-AR658_spendi_20120521163312_ME11

[...]

LMAO... you're a trip. Start counting to 10 TRILLION... he's spent more than any president in history.

10Serious Question .... Empty Re: Serious Question .... 10/3/2014, 2:04 pm

boards of FL

boards of FL

Libertarians, republicans, conservatives, etc (I'll just call them GOP supporters)... they're all based on ideology and take zero cues from the real world.

Say the issue at hand is how we should handle taxes.  GOP supporters do not need any relevant, real world information in order to determine how we should handle that.  You always cut taxes.  Budget surplus?  Cut taxes.  Budget deficit?  Cut taxes.  Going to war?  Cut taxes.  

If you were to ask anyone else "Should we cut taxes?", their response would probably be a series of questions.  "What is the current tax rate?  How does our budget look?  Etc."  and from that they would make a decision.  Put another way, they would take cues from the real world and adapt a plan that would interact with those cues.

But not with GOP supporters.  They have a manual that tells them what to think on every issue, and reality has absolutely zero influence on that model.  Show a GOP supporter how we used to have a budget surplus, then cut taxes, and now we have ballooning deficits, and they'll show you a graph of the labor force participation rate...and say that we should cut taxes further.

And libertarians are the worst of this demographic. Overwhelmingly male and overwhelmingly white (and I'm guessing in most cases under-educated), they have been convinced to cling to an ideology that has existed for 100's of years and yet has never had a working model.  There is something surreal seeing grown adults still waiting for Santa Claus to show up, or for the Tooth Fairy to give them a dollar.  Ask a libertarian how things would work in their version of utopia and you get nothing.  Many people - well, white males - become libertarians early on between the ages of 19-22.  Many of those will eventually learn to take cues from reality over time.  Others, however, experience a failure to launch and eventually find themselves as the whipping boy on political forums, completely unable to articulate anything beyond the one-line mantras that they have heard from others back in their early years.

Kansas is a perfect model of GOP governance. And it is currently a shit hole in the midst of a steep downward spiral. That said, this result is of absolutely no consequence to GOP supporters because, again, they take no cues from the real world. Show them that their conservative petri-dish is now overflowing with rancid shit, and they'll show you a picture of the labor force participation rate.

11Serious Question .... Empty Re: Serious Question .... 10/3/2014, 2:33 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

I am excerpting this comment at FORBES...it is in response to an article that actually tries to argue that Obama is a big spender...but somehow is full of references to Bush, because you can't divorce the Obama presidency economically from the complete unholy mess left by his predecessor...and the Bush budget, which ran through part of 2010. This commenter nails it:

(from daviddelosangeles)

We live in a democracy and all of the government services that are provided are enjoyed by the majority of the American people. If it were not so, their representatives would repeal them. Both the Republican and Democratic Parties agree on this point. The only difference is that the Democrats are open and honest, they favor a “tax and spend” approach, they collect taxes to spend on government services. They say “Let us pay for the government services everyone uses with taxes”
Republicans are dishonest about the whole thing, they favor a “borrow and spend” approach, they cut taxes, borrow money, and spend the money on government services. They say “We will cut taxes but keep government services but (somehow) cut spending”.

Since 1980 there have been five republican administrations and federal spending not cut under any of them. In 1978 the US government budget was set at 478 BUSD while in 1988, after two terms of Ronald Reagen it was 1,118.5 BUSD. In 2008, after two terms of George W. Bush, it had increased to 2,537.9 BUSD. Spending keeps going up and up under Republicans, as does the deficit.

1) Mr. Bush and the Republican controlled congress had launched two wars but did not want to raise taxes to pay for them so they borrowed all of the money. Mr. Bush of course believed that the oil revenues from Iraq would pay for the cost of the war, which of course did no happen.

2) Mr. Bush introduced the Medicare Part D prescription drug plan which cost billions of dollars (with an eye to buying some votes) but again refused to raise taxes to pay for this bill.

3) Mr. Bush and the Republican Congress passed bills to cut taxes but increased spending. In 1978 the US government budget was set at 478 BUSD while in 1988, after two terms of Ronald Reagen it was 1,118.5 BUSD. In 2008, after two terms of George W. Bush, it had increased to 2,537.9 BUSD. True to form Mr. Bush was “Borrow and Spend” Republican.

4) On December 17, 2010, President Obama signed into law the Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization and Job Creation Act of 2010, (H.R. 4853) a bill passed by the Republican controlled house that extended tax cuts to the wealthiest Americans while extending unemployment benefits to millions of Americans. I would point out to the interested reader that it was the Republicans who threaten to filibuster the extension of the unemployment insurance without the extension of the tax breaks [1]

Who voted for all of these efforts, none other than Rep. Paul Ryan. Like other Republicans, when it is time to talk he says “cut, cut, cut” but when it comes time to walk, he says “spend, spend, spend”.

The question then is do the American people want to pay through taxes now for the services that they hold so dear, or borrow money to pay for those same services and let their children and grandchildren pay for them.

[1] http://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/2010/12/house-passes-bill-to-extend-bu.html

Here's the link to the article, written (surprise) by Michael Strain at the American Enterprise Institute.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/realspin/2012/09/03/yep-obamas-a-big-spender-just-like-his-predecessors/

12Serious Question .... Empty Re: Serious Question .... 10/3/2014, 2:38 pm

Sal wrote:Are cowardly people conservative because they're cowardly, or are conservatives cowardly because they're conservative?

Seriously, these people are in a blind panic about something new every other week.

It makes me wonder ....

Are easily frightened people inherently attracted to so-called conservative ideas for some reason?

Or, does the science denying and reality free right-wing echo chamber's endless fear-mongering induce this much panic?

I didn't know that only FOX news covered those events. I could have sworn that CNN, CBS, MSNBC et al covers them as well. No, your question was a joke and not serious in any way.

13Serious Question .... Empty Re: Serious Question .... 10/3/2014, 2:42 pm

Sal

Sal

Th Dude wrote:People get sick and die... you don't see me fretting about it. Nature is especially cruel to those that don't prepare.

A dude who won life's lottery by being born a white male in America wrote the above regarding what's going on in Africa.

Let that fully sink in for a moment.

Talk about being born on third ....

14Serious Question .... Empty Re: Serious Question .... 10/3/2014, 2:44 pm

Sal

Sal

PACEDOG#1 wrote:
Sal wrote:Are cowardly people conservative because they're cowardly, or are conservatives cowardly because they're conservative?

It makes me wonder ....

I didn't know that only FOX news covered those events. I could have sworn that CNN, CBS, MSNBC et al covers them as well. No, your question was a joke and not serious in any way.

No doubt about it, PeeDawg ....

.... fear sells.

But, no one's buying in a frenzy like you wingnutz.

15Serious Question .... Empty Re: Serious Question .... 10/3/2014, 3:17 pm

nadalfan

It makes me wonder ....

It could be in part the result of an overdeveloped amygdala....research suggests that anyway.

16Serious Question .... Empty Re: Serious Question .... 10/3/2014, 3:44 pm

Sal

Sal

I see that the indispensable Charles Pierce is thinking somewhat along the same lines.

Excellent read ....

This reminds me of the early days of the AIDS epidemic, when undertakers refused to bury the dead, and emergency workers were afraid to treat people after automobile accidents and commonplace domestic catastrophes. Which is to say this isn't surprising at all. One of the other things that marked the early days of the AIDS epidemic was the truly wicked role played by various satraps of the Christian Right and by the nascent conservative media bubble machine. There was talk of God's vengeance upon gay people, and more talk of curses than we'd heard in this country since the Mather family closed up shop in Massachusetts Bay. Then, of course, transfusion patients and hemophiliacs began to die, and the gay community rallied itself heroically, and the disease finally got itself treated as a disease, and not some creature out of the subtext of Leviticus. This is where the historical parallel ends. Unfortunately.

What we had in the AIDS epidemic was political opportunism married to what became obvious ignorance. What we are seeing now, promulgated by a conservative bubble machine that has built a self-sustaining universe around itself, is political opportunism married to an active campaign of disinformation. This is a terrible thing. The people making a profit out of it are people who are too lazy to mug old ladies or swindle the blind. The people making a profit out of it are people without consciences, people who are as free of patriotism as they are free of the inconveniences of having a soul. These are dangerous people, and it's far past time for the honorable people in my profession to stop treating them like the worthless hacks they are. They are no longer cute. They are no longer funny. They are no longer the respectable "other side" of some fanciful imaginary political debate. They are dangerous propagandists. They are peddling poisonous lies and putting people's lives at risk. Every journalist who treats them as anything else, and every politician who treats them as anything else, are actively abetting evil.

Take, for example, Laura Ingraham, who cashes a very nice check from ABC News in addition to her day job as a radio flamethrower. Ingraham has begun to traffic in "alternative" theories about Ebola, treating a virus as though it were another vote to suppress or immigrant to bash, and lending her microphone to fringe nitwits because panic is profitable, and because almost everything, even a rare disease, is worth throwing at a president you don't like.

Vliet's facts are completely wrong about Ebola's transmission. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) notes that Ebola "is not spread through the air." A Vox report points out that "basically every health agency in the world agrees" that Ebola cannot be transmitted through the air. Medical experts also agree that it's highly unlikely Ebola could mutate into a form that changes its mode of transmission. In fact, such a thing has never been observed in medical history, according to Vincent Racaniello, a virologist at the College of Physicians and Surgeons at Columbia University. He writes, "We have been studying viruses for over 100 years, and we've never seen a human virus change the way it is transmitted."

You can't do this and then claim to be acting responsibly. You can't spread ignorance this way, because ignorance is more virulent than the virus is. You can't have your own science just because you have your own media, and you have your own history, and your own Constitution. You can't do this and be treated as anything but a pariah in any country that pretends to make sense. What the hell does ABC think of their premium hire now?

Vliet's medical degree and penchant for hyping anti-immigrant myths has helped develop her reputation as the far right's go-to expert for medical conspiracy theories. In August, Vliet wrote an exclusive column for WND.com titled, "Illegals Bring Risk Of Ebola." In her article, the Vliet parroted other anti-immigrant voices by suggesting undocumented immigrants crossing the southern border were spreading Ebola and that the government was concealing their diagnoses. Despite "zero evidence" that migrants have carried Ebola through the U.S.-Mexico border, Vliet's opinion was cited by Breitbart, Infowars, and Newsmax, a continuation of a long conservative tradition of smearing immigrants as dirty or diseased.

Jesus. Right now, there is a man with a disease, who may have given the disease to a few other people, whom officials are trying to find. The disease is killing people by the thousands in a part of the world about which most of the media ordinarily doesn't care about, and about which the self-contained media universe in question is proudly ignorant. In this country, people are more nervous than they ought to be. (Parents are pulling their kids out of school in Dallas "just in case.") This is a problem that may yet become a crisis, but hasn't yet, except for those people who seek to create a crisis so they can make a buck or win an election. If it does become an actual crisis, it is going to require a national response grounded in the best medical science we can find.

The country simply cannot go on this way, with one of our two political parties completely insane, and with a counter-cultural universe that claims the right to promulgate its own science as equal to the science produced by actual scientists, and with this dangerous lunacy treated as legitimate by powerful people who ought to know better. As I once wrote, it doesn't matter how many people vote for the anti-gravity party, you still can't flap your arms and fly to the moon. A dangerous disease is not a matter of debate. Your profitable fantasy and the reality of the disease do not deserve an equal place in the discussion of what we as a society will do about the disease. The response is going to have to be precise and empirical. It is going to have to be impatient with cant, and immune to the delusions on which demented ideology feeds.

And, most important of all, we are going to have to trust each other, and we are going to have to trust our government, which is the political manifestation of all of us, no matter what 30 years of Reaganite heresy has taught us. We are going to have to trust ourselves as individual citizens, and we are going to have to trust ourselves as partners in the creative act of self-government. I am afraid we will not, because there is one side of our politics who will stand in the way, and another side of our politics that is too frightened or too polite to call dangerous nonsense to account, and to shun the people who are promoting it. And that is what scares me the most about the man in Texas with the disease.

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/politics/The_Man_With_The_Disease

17Serious Question .... Empty Re: Serious Question .... 10/3/2014, 3:46 pm

Serious Question .... Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSLp-z5hju-Elva4aVO8A_uqg3q-Udpu3qoGdhLWsh7shN-PCQV

They do seem to think that mommy needs to wipe them and change their diapers for them... Even after they're all grown up.

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFBf_alErog

Very Happy

18Serious Question .... Empty Re: Serious Question .... 10/3/2014, 3:56 pm

Sal wrote:

A dude who won life's lottery by being born a white male in America wrote the above regarding what's going on in Africa.

Let that fully sink in for a moment.

Talk about being born on third ....

Serious Question .... Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRUJ2gZDYfrWruRrN38JdYtUeQnVTGywoKDbRtcXljqkX72TkotzA

Those countries have had plenty of opportunity to build schools, hospitals, fire stations, police departments, better government, etc... over the last century. It was the people and governments fault in not putting down their petty differences and working together as to why their country is where it is today. That goes for any third world nation.

If you want the United States to provide solutions for them then perhaps they should apply for statehood.

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diOuUYcenW0

Smile

Last edited by Damaged Eagle on 10/3/2014, 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

19Serious Question .... Empty Re: Serious Question .... 10/3/2014, 4:01 pm

Sal- http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Patient-With-Ebola-Like-Symptoms-Being-Treated-at-Howard-University-Hospital-278025181.html

Left wing news

20Serious Question .... Empty Re: Serious Question .... 10/3/2014, 4:21 pm

Sal

Sal

PACEDOG#1 wrote:Sal- http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Patient-With-Ebola-Like-Symptoms-Being-Treated-at-Howard-University-Hospital-278025181.html

Left wing news

Good post!

Let's compare.

Left wing news ....

Serious Question .... Screen20

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wingnut news ....

Serious Question .... Screen21
Serious Question .... Screen22

Do ya see a difference?

21Serious Question .... Empty Re: Serious Question .... 10/3/2014, 4:24 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Sal, you are missing the point. Totally missing the point.

22Serious Question .... Empty Re: Serious Question .... 10/3/2014, 4:29 pm

Sal

Sal

Actually, just go here ....

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com

At this moment, their top "news" stories are four stories fear-mongering about ISIS, three stories fear-mongering about Ebola, a few other miscellaneous fear-mongering stories, and the topper, ....

.... wait for it ....

.... a story about how the Hong Kong protestors are so much more civilized than the Ferguson protestors, because ....

.... well, let's just say they've got pictures.

Hint:  It's because the Ferguson protestors were scary blacks.

And, that's your wingnut news for today - October 3rd, 2014.

Stay scared, America!

23Serious Question .... Empty Re: Serious Question .... 10/3/2014, 4:32 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Sorry Sal.....I don't read that source.

24Serious Question .... Empty Re: Serious Question .... 10/3/2014, 4:33 pm

Sal

Sal

Joanimaroni wrote:Sal, you are missing the point.  Totally missing the point.

The only point PeeDawg has ever had is the one on the top of his head.

There's a difference between reporting news and fear-mongering.

There's a difference between being informed and being irrationally terrified.

25Serious Question .... Empty Re: Serious Question .... 10/3/2014, 4:36 pm

Sal

Sal

Watch ...

http://thecolbertreport.cc.com/videos/x6d5sz/deathpocalypse-now---ebola-in-america---50-states-of-grave

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum