Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Keystone Pipeline. Who here believes what's in this post?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

The Keystone Pipeline.   Who here believes what's in this post? Att00110

That should be in the encyclopedia under fascism.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I put this thread up for a reason, dude.
It came to me in email like so much other "conservative" stuff I'm sent in email.

Can you always believe the stuff in emails? Even when it appears to be irrefutable.

Click here for the answer...

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101460011

Money folks will look out for other folks with monwy

2seaoat

1/2 of the pipeline is complete and delivering oil. I pass the pipeline twice a week. The post in the email is sophomoric and simple. The real answers are far more complex. First, the oil is being refined in midwest refineries and is lowering the cost of per gallon gas in the midwest......not a great deal but I have heard on the radio around 1-3 cents per gallon. This pipeline is at 100% capacity and there is still the rail tankers taking the oil to other refineries.

Labor unions are supportive of the large increase in rail employment which is not limited to a short construction period. The water and zoning concerns of bipartisan groups in Nebraska are legitimate concerns. Now if the second leg of the pipeline is completed, the flow will be greatly reduced to the midwest and gas prices at the pump would see minimal increases. In addition, after the initial construction period, there would be a net loss of railroad employment. I believe the pipeline is good for America, but I also realize that there are diverse groups and special interests who would like to see the status quo maintained.........now that is not saying that some of these special interests are not protecting their constituents, but the fact remains those interests are a mosaic, and not one tile which provides the answer why the pipeline has not been built.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

There is a lot of fearmongering about the Keystone pipeline. Nothing is going to stop Canada from extracting every bit of the bitumen in the Alberta oil sands. Most of this will be done without mining, as it is too deep to mine. Various insitu techniques have been developed, but because the insitu techniques use steam to "steamclean" the bitumen from the soil, and it takes gas to heat the steam, more CO2 is released to the atmosphere in bitumen extraction. This means this oil is far "dirtier" than conventional oil (even though all oil is black and gooey).

BNSF railroad makes a significant portion of its revenue hauling oil. They advertise regularly in the Oil & Gas Journal. Trains going south haul diluted bitumen to refineries that can handle heavy oil (a lot of it goes to refineries in Cushing, Oklahoma). Trains going north haul naphtha, which is used to dilute the bitumen so it can be shipped and refined.

The energy sector is one of the bright spots in the ongoing economic recovery in the U.S. North America is importing less oil than it has in decades. At the same time, through efficiency, people are learning to use less petroleum, which strengthens our nation in the long run. The future of energy lies in renewables; in particular, solar energy. Technologies are rapidly developing in that arena; however, for the foreseeable future, we will still need to use oil and gas. We are probably not moving fast enough to satisfy the climate-change camp, but strides are being made, and we will get there.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

I was aware that Burlington Northern was transporting oil from North Dakota and surrounding regions in the US and that there had been accidents because of the volatility of the oil. I know he has addressed this problem by lining the cars. I am not aware of Buffet's railroad transporting oil from Canada. If that's true (which I doubt), then it's a horse of a different color. I don't see the "win" for the US here. The jobs created will be short-term and benefit only a few. The liability for spills falls into international territory...and the major company involved doesn't have a good track record. Where are the benefits to the US from this pipeline expansion?

knothead

knothead

Floridatexan wrote:
I was aware that Burlington Northern was transporting oil from North Dakota and surrounding regions in the US and that there had been accidents because of the volatility of the oil.  I know he has addressed this problem by lining the cars.  I am not aware of Buffet's railroad transporting oil from Canada.  If that's true (which I doubt), then it's a horse of a different color.  I don't see the "win" for the US here.  The jobs created will be short-term and benefit only a few.  The liability for spills falls into international territory...and the major company involved doesn't have a good track record.  Where are the benefits to the US from this pipeline expansion?

Basically mirrors my own view, i.e., the oil will continue to be produced, the peril to our aquifers will not be threatened and good jobs related to the transport are precisely what America is looking for . . .

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/01/opinion/the-tar-sands-disaster.html?_r=2&

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum