Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

U.S. risks fiscal crisis from rising debt: CBO

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

gatorfan

This latest report ought to be read aloud in the house and senate chambers. I doubt if those boneheads would pay attention though. If Congress doesn't start working together to reduce inefficiencies and outright waste this country is going to face some tough choices in a few years.

"U.S. risks fiscal crisis from rising debt: CBO
Debt will exceed GDP in 25 years if laws don’t change, agency says"

U.S. risks fiscal crisis from rising debt: CBO MW-CN100_debt_h_20140715110810_MG

WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) — The U.S. risks a fiscal crisis if it doesn’t get large and continuously growing federal debt under control, the Congressional Budget Office said Tuesday.

In its new long-term budget outlook, the nonpartisan CBO said federal debt held by the public is now 74% of the economy and will rise to 106% of gross domestic product by 2039 if current laws remain unchanged. Read the 2014 long-term budget outlook.

In its last long-term budget outlook in September 2013, CBO said debt held by the public was 73% of GDP and projected debt would be 102% of GDP in 2039.

The stark warning from the CBO comes as deficits have recently been falling. For the current fiscal year, for example, the CBO is projecting a deficit of $492 billion, which would be 2.8% of gross domestic product.

The deficit in fiscal 2013 was $680 billion, the first shortfall below $1 trillion of Barack Obama’s presidency. The deficit hit a record of $1.4 trillion in 2009.

But the agency expects deficits to rise in coming years as costs related to Social Security, Medicare and interest payments swell.

And if federal debt grows faster than GDP, that path is ultimately “unsustainable” for the economy and risks a crisis where investors would begin to doubt the government’s willingness or ability to pay its debt obligations, CBO said.

“Such a fiscal crisis would present policymakers with extremely difficult choices and would probably have a substantial negative impact on the country,” the report says.

The report lays bare long-term challenges for lawmakers. Spending on Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid will be 14% of GDP by 2039. That’s twice the 7% average seen over the past 40 years, CBO said.

Entitlement spending has been a point of contention between Democrats and Republicans in years past as the parties have pursued deficit-cutting agreements.

Washington’s budget battles have cooled down, however, as deficits have recently declined. Spending levels were set on autopilot for this year and next after a budget deal was struck late last year between House Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan and Patty Murray, who heads the Senate Budget Committee. President Obama and House Republicans have offered budget plans for fiscal 2015, but neither is expected to advance with midterm elections approaching in November.

CBO Director Douglas Elmendorf will testify before the House Budget Committee about the report on Wednesday morning. The committee is led by Rep. Paul Ryan, who was the Republican vice-presidential candidate in the last election.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/us-risks-fiscal-crisis-from-rising-debt-cbo-2014-07-15-101031446

boards of FL

boards of FL

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/us-records-71-billion-budget-surplus-in-june

gatorfan

boards of FL wrote:http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/us-records-71-billion-budget-surplus-in-june

And? 1 month will make it all better? Better get on the phone and call the CBO to tell them to revise that report.

We all like to see progress but until Congress gets its collective act together these small (temporary?) improvements aren't going to amount to much over time.

boards of FL

boards of FL

At least we're moving in the right direction.

http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/taxfacts/displayafact.cfm?Docid=200

The federal deficit has declined every year Obama has been in office, except for 2009 - which was a Bush budget.

2009: (1412.7) (Bush budget)
2010: (1279.3)
2011: (1259.7)
2012: (1034.1)
2013: (636.1)

Contrast that with the previous administration.

2001: 159.9 (Clinton budget)
2002: (189.Cool
2003: (441.9)
2004: (470.4)
2005: (350.6)
2006: (264.2)
2007: (166.7)
2008: (459.5)

boards of FL wrote:http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/us-records-71-billion-budget-surplus-in-june

Again, there is is a difference between the budget deficit and the federal debt.

The Congressional Budget Office is forecasting a deficit of $492 billion for the full budget year ending Sept. 30.  A $71B surplus for the month is a small amount compared to the forecast $492B deficit.

Now, compared to the current debt ($17.5T) the June surplus is not even a blip - less than 1/2 of a percent.

And, the surplus was NOT a result of anything positive done by the GD Congress ($59B of the surplus was due to a "repayment" by FannieMae).

Let's revisit your point in six months.

boards of FL

boards of FL

colaguy wrote:Again, there is is a difference between the budget deficit and the federal debt.

Agreed.  Where does the debt come from?

boards of FL wrote:At least we're moving in the right direction.  

http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/taxfacts/displayafact.cfm?Docid=200

The federal deficit has declined every year Obama has been in office, except for 2009 - which was a Bush budget.

2009: (1412.7) (Bush budget)
2010: (1279.3)
2011: (1259.7)
2012: (1034.1)
2013: (636.1)

Contrast that with the previous administration.

2001: 159.9 (Clinton budget)
2002: (189.Cool
2003: (441.9)
2004: (470.4)
2005: (350.6)
2006: (264.2)
2007: (166.7)
2008: (459.5)

Maybe this analogy will help:

My predetermined household budget for the month of June is $2,500.  At the end of June we had spent $2,000 of the budget leaving a "surplus" of $500.

However, we also went on vacation (to Hawaii) and put the whole trip on the Visa credit card ($4,000).

So, at the end of June, even though there is still $500 in the checking account (surplus), we also got the Visa statement for which we owe $4,000(debt).

The federal Debt is like a big credit card, but we are not paying it off every month (as I do my Visa).  But, we still owe the money (currently $17,500,000,000,000) nevertheless.

Deficit vs. Debt is sort of apples vs. oranges.

boards of FL

boards of FL

That was a rhetorical question. I know where debt comes from.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

The surplus in June may have been influenced by quarterly tax collections. Second Quarter quarterly estimates were due on June 16th.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

2seaoat

Revenues are immediately the problem. We simply have to return the tax rates to the mid eighties and quit the charade. We need to pass the funding of the highway bill and allow private sector hiring and expansion of the tax base. There are traitors amongst us who are intentionally trying to crash this country.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

boards of FL wrote:That was a rhetorical question.  I know where debt comes from.

I'll bite. Where does debt come from?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Interest on debt to nearly quadruple over decade - CBO

http://money.cnn.com/2014/02/04/news/economy/budget-outlook-interest-on-debt/

Same thing which happens when you max out credit cards. Your "debt service", the amount which just goes to pay interest, starts to take over your budget.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I guess he knows "where debt comes from" but doesn't want to tell me.  lol

I'll bet you money the answer is bad debt comes from bush and republicans and good debt comes from obama and democrats. Or whatever is the reverse of what merkel would say it is. Except merkel would use middle names if it's democrats.  lol

boards of FL

boards of FL

Bob wrote:
boards of FL wrote:That was a rhetorical question.  I know where debt comes from.

I'll bite.  Where does debt come from?  

From deficit spending. Again, the question was rhetorical.

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:The surplus in June may have been influenced by quarterly tax collections. Second Quarter quarterly estimates were due on June 16th.

...or, as was posted earlier, it could've been, in large part, due to the "repayment" by FM.  

$59B of the $71B = 83%

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum