Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

remember those GMO mosquitos set free in the population? well..................

2 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Now people are being plagued with this virus in the Caribbean, and that's where they were set free first in 2009, that area.

Hospitals and clinics throughout the Caribbean are seeing thousands of people with the same symptoms, victims of a virus with a long and unfamiliar name that has been spread rapidly by mosquitoes across the islands after the first locally transmitted case was confirmed in December.

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/health/2014/05/22/new-mosquito-virus-causing-severe-pain-spreading-rapidly-in-caribbean/

and

http://www.geneticliteracyproject.org/2014/04/11/sterilized-gm-mosquitoes-released-in-brazil-to-combat-dengue/#.U4_No2fjg5s

Coming to a place near you soon.

LEE COUNTY, FL - Officials with the Florida Department of Health in Lee County report a confirmed case of chikungunya (chik-en-gun-ye) fever. The first imported case of chikungunya involves a 71-year-old man who recently returned from a visit to the Dominican Republic. Diane Holm with Lee County Department of Health said since this is an imported case, mosquitoes in Lee County may not be infected yet. Locally, mosquitoes will be tested next week.

The disease is spread by an infected mosquito that later bites another person. Health officials urge residents to use insect repellent during the day, dusk and dawn since the mosquitoes are active in the daytime. Other precautions include draining and cover standing water.

"Avoiding mosquito bites is the key to preventing infection with chikungunya and other mosquito-borne diseases," said Jennifer Roth, DOH-Lee epidemiologist. "Floridians and visitors are encouraged to take precautionary measures to help reduce the chance of being bitten."

As rain patterns return, residents are encouraged to look for areas that collect water around their homes and drain them.

Symptoms of chikungunya include high fever, muscle and joint pain and rash. Patients often find temporary relief while some end up with more severe health issues.

If experiencing symptoms, Lee County Department of Health suggests contacting the person's health care provider and avoid more mosquito bites to help stop the spreading.

http://www.nbc-2.com/story/25730633/confirmed-case-of-chikungunya-reported-in-lee-county#.U5b4fWfjg5s

That didn't take long.... It'll be up to see y'all soon.

2seaoat

You could work at Fox. You take two separate stories which have zero commonality, and combine them as if genetic modified mosquitoes are causing a new virus to spread, when in fact there is ZERO evidence of the same.......science is your strong point......hardly.

Prove there is no connection other than tossing insults

Your problem is you refuse to think and analyze

You Prefer to wIt for some gOvernment official to spoon feed you

I don't. I prefer to analyze things for myself I enjoy thinking about stuff instead of just accepting the story of the day like you

Now get busy investigate and prove there is no connection or you could just shut up like you often do when you can't compete in the topic

dumpcare

https://screen.yahoo.com/mosquito-virus-u-090618226.html

ppaca wrote:https://screen.yahoo.com/mosquito-virus-u-090618226.html

scary huh. we are already seeing this disease here. More counties than below now

http://www.natureworldnews.com/articles/7117/20140519/mosquito-borne-disease-chikungunya-detected-three-florida-counties.htm

A few years ago they set genetically modified mosquitos loose in the Caribbean's. Doing so was supposed to curb these mosquito borne diseases, well well well.... apparently conveniently we have this new off the wall disease and guess what? They just released the largest batch of GM mosquitos in brazil very recent.

And they have been vying to release the GM mosquitos here in FL for over  years and we have fought them off. And here they come again. I am sure this new fantastic disease will help there cause.  Wink

dumpcare

They are talking about this right now on good morning america and doctor's are worried this could spread like west nile.

You shouldn't play with mother nature... look at all of the instances when a species is introduced to solve some perceived problem... then the invasive species causes other sometimes much worse unintended consequences. But we never seem to learn.

2seaoat

This is hilarious. Out of thin air a forum member creates the hypothesis that genetically modified mosquitoes are responsible for the spread of an African virus, and there is not one scintilla of proof of a causal connection between the spread of an existing virus by the genetically modified mosquitoes, yet another forum member confirms the lie and scolds man for modifications.....you cannot make up crazy.

Ignorance and superstition go hand and hand. The scientific method is an alien concept for too many Americans who are spoon fed lies and manipulated to the point they can go off and create utter nonsense in their imaginations. Peas in a Pod to boot. There is zero connection with genetically modified mosquitoes and the spread of the virus. The virus was spread by travelers. Dengue fever is very serious threat in Brazil and Brazil has chosen to approve genetically modified mosquitoes to eradicate the disease from their country. Yet, ignorance has the spread of the virus connected to genetically modified mosquitoes.........no wonder this country is in trouble with our schools.

Some people are sO narrow minded all they do is wait around for SOMEONE Else to tell them data.

Then there are those with scientiFic minds, who see patterns and study corolations. Without this second type of thinking nothing in the world would ever get done in order to let the waiting sheep know about it.

Last edited by Chrissy on 6/13/2014, 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Cell phone fun)

2seaoat

The only pattern you have established is utter ignorance when talking about genetically modified mosquitoes, and illegal immigration. I picked up your pattern long ago.......grab something out of thin air, convince yourself you have a science background, and then make chit up.

2seaoat wrote:The only pattern you have established is utter ignorance when talking about genetically modified mosquitoes, and illegal immigration. I picked up your pattern long ago.......grab something out of thin air, convince yourself you have a science background, and then make chit up.

Lol what a dumbass you are

I have a science background

And what I said stands

There are those who wait for others to connect dots and relay the results like you and then there are those who see patterns and make corolations, ask questions and seek answers like me and very few others here.

And your disagreeing with what I say dies not mean you are correct all it does it stifle open conversations that would require thinking out of the box something you are not good at

2seaoat

And your disagreeing with what I say dies not mean you are correct all it does it stifle open conversations that would require thinking out of the box something you are not good at

If correcting stupid and false science is stifling, well then stupid should be stifled, or next thing we know somebody will be repeating that the earth is flat and that the moon is made out of cheese. With all due respect, please do not indict your former teachers by continually trying to justify stupid with the fact that you have taken some science courses. If you are serious and want to have a discussion about genetically modified mosquitoes and the spread of the African virus, please start with facts, and stop pulling chit from thin air.

seaoat, you know what your problem is.

Everything in your world is complete. All answers are known. Everything is done. Speculation for the sake of conversation is not a interest to you. The only interest you have is arguing who knows more facts building on your over inflated ego.

You are very sad.

2seaoat

Everything in your world is complete. All answers are known. Everything is done. Speculation for the sake of conversation is not a interest to you. The only interest you have is arguing who knows more facts building on your over inflated ego.

You are very sad.

Actually I am quite happy to shine light on ignorance. I have done the same for a lifetime, whether teaching children or correcting adults......science stands on its own merits independent of me, but fools who manipulate superstition and make illogical suppositions need to be corrected and challenged at every turn. The anti science, the racial hatred, and the scapegoating are not new concepts of evil.....they have historical context and we must learn from history to give no safe harbor to ignorance, otherwise we will be hanging witches and burning books.

2seaoat wrote:Everything in your world is complete. All answers are known. Everything is done. Speculation for the sake of conversation is not a interest to you. The only interest you have is arguing who knows more facts building on your over inflated ego.

You are very sad.

Actually I am quite happy to shine light on ignorance.  I have done the same for a lifetime, whether teaching children or correcting adults......science stands on its own merits independent of me, but fools who manipulate superstition and make illogical suppositions need to be corrected and challenged at every turn.   The anti science, the racial hatred, and the scapegoating are not new concepts of evil.....they have historical context and we must learn from history to give no safe harbor to ignorance, otherwise we will be hanging witches and burning books.

Its a shame you couldn't even pick up on what I was saying.  Neutral 

You pretty much do nothing on this forum but go around trying to exert your supposed superiority. Its tiring really.

I have news for you. You are not the forum savior, the most highest of all enlightened one, Lord seaoat. Although you do enjoy to pretend you are. It appears you may have a injured ego or self esteem yourself. Because you cant even relax and just have conversation that doesn't involve some sort of competition where you can prove your superiority reigns.

You leave no room for imagination or creative ideas and you refuse to allow others here use their imagination or creative thoughts.

I realize you are probably not even going to understand what I have just said, but I tried.

Have a good night

2seaoat

It really is not that complex. You were wrong. I corrected you. You are pissed. I could have ignored your post, and you would have posted something entirely false which would be wrong.

2seaoat wrote:It really is not that complex. You were wrong. I corrected you. You are pissed. I could have ignored your post, and you would have posted something entirely false which would be wrong.

You do that constantly... and continue it even after being shown the direct quote or the changes in the data.

You've said you come here to learn... it simply doesn't happen like that. Nothing can be learned with your mouth open.

2seaoat

You do that constantly... and continue it even after being shown the direct quote or the changes in the data.

You've said you come here to learn... it simply doesn't happen like that. Nothing can be learned with your mouth open.

Well then this is simple.  A rescuer of Chrissy who is going to show that her science courses have proven right and the genetically modified mosquitoes are spreading african virus........I await another learned ones response.  It should be a simple task for one who has constantly shown relevant data......the qualifier of relevant you rarely comprehend....but go for it.

2seaoat wrote:It really is not that complex.  You were wrong.  I corrected you.  You are pissed.  I could have ignored your post, and you would have posted something entirely false which would be wrong.  

Thats the problem, im not wrong. Neither can be proved. I am presenting a theory, My theory.

I presented information and a topic to be discussed. but you don't like to discuss stuff. everything is a competition to you. Its either right or wrong for you. I don't see things that way and I enjoy talking about stuff.

You know what they say seaoat, a closed mind never learns anything.

2seaoat wrote:You do that constantly... and continue it even after being shown the direct quote or the changes in the data.

Well then this is simple.  A rescuer of Chrissy who is going to show that her science courses have proven right and the genetically modified mosquitoes are spreading african virus........I await another learned ones response.  It should be a simple task for one who has constantly shown relevant data......the qualifier of relevant you rarely comprehend....but go for it.

well we do know for a FACT that regular mosquitos spread the virus.

do tell us oh mighty wise one, can genetically modified mosquitos not carry a virus. I wait for your majesty's answer.

2seaoat

Gosh......this is pretty easy.....here is a hint......the genetically modified mosquitoes would have to be responsible for the spread of the disease, which means they would have to be released in the Carribean Islands and spreading the virus.

First:
It's not difficult to activate a gene that makes a mosquito immune to any particular malaria parasite (there are a lot of them) and lose the ability to pass it on. It's a relatively cheap laboratory procedure. In this case, the scientists turned on a gene in the mosquito's gut that controls SM1 peptide. SM1 peptide, a type of protein, appears to stop the development of the malaria parasite while it's living in the mosquito, rendering it harmless.

Second:
Genetically modifying a mosquito has always appeared to make it weaker. And a weaker, malaria-resistant mosquito won't win the survival game, so there's no point in releasing it into the wild. It'll just die off.

Third:
it'll be at least another 10 years before malaria-resistant mosquitoes would ever be released into the wild, and even in Brazil the theoretical discussion has not led to release in the wild of genetically modified mosquitoes, so Chrissy's absurd connection between the spread of this virus and the modified mosquitoes is in the end simply stupid. However, it would have been nice to have an intelligent conversation on this subject because few breathroughs have the promise of life saving results than genetically modified mosquitoes.

2seaoat wrote:Gosh......this is pretty easy.....here is a hint......the genetically modified mosquitoes would have to be responsible for the spread of the disease, which means they would have to be released in the Carribean Islands and spreading the virus.

First:
It's not difficult to activate a gene that makes a mosquito immune to any particular malaria parasite (there are a lot of them) and lose the ability to pass it on. It's a relatively cheap laboratory procedure. In this case, the scientists turned on a gene in the mosquito's gut that controls SM1 peptide. SM1 peptide, a type of protein, appears to stop the development of the malaria parasite while it's living in the mosquito, rendering it harmless.

Second:
Genetically modifying a mosquito has always appeared to make it weaker. And a weaker, malaria-resistant mosquito won't win the survival game, so there's no point in releasing it into the wild. It'll just die off.

Third:
it'll be at least another 10 years before malaria-resistant mosquitoes would ever be released into the wild, and even in Brazil the theoretical discussion has not led to release in the wild of genetically modified mosquitoes, so Chrissy's absurd connection between the spread of this virus and the modified mosquitoes is in the end simply stupid.   However, it would have been nice to have an intelligent conversation on this subject because few breathroughs have the promise of life saving results than genetically modified mosquitoes.

You are insane. They have already been released.

now there is another case. this is spreading fast.
http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/12/health/virus-chikungunya/

But a major outbreak in the Caribbean this year -- with more than 100,000 cases reported
Genetically Modified Sterile Mosquitoes Released in the Caribbean
http://preventdisease.com/news/10/120810_GMO_mosquitoes_dengue.shtml

and just recently like a few months ago they released the largest batch ever in the world in brazil

2seaoat

I may be insane, but you remain ignorant of science. Male mosquitoes do not bite and cannot spread disease. The first article makes no mention of any genetically released mosquitoes and connection to the African disease, and the second article talks about male mosquitoes being released in a small experimental amount, and confirms exactly what I have been saying that they cannot survive. Funny how easy science is if you engage your brain.

2seaoat

do tell us oh mighty wise one, can genetically modified mosquitos not carry a virus. I wait for your majesty's answer.

I have been playing with children, and maybe you are right.....majestic.....I had only hoped poor Chrissy would not fall into the stupid trap and I could lead you to the same.....but by asking the question, I guess you fell in also.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum