Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

I just signed up to have this done free.

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

This will sound like a commercial, but it is not.

We come to our Pensacola home a lot, especially on the weekends. Christine and I were looking at the Nest thermostat because we could control the house temperature remotely. We also were talking to our son (an electrician) to see if we could remotely control our hot water heater. This way, we could take the house out of "standby" mode while we were driving down and have a house that has a comfortable temperature inside... and have hot water by the time we get there. We were figuring on spending $400 or more.

Lo and behold, we get this thing from Gulf Power in the mail. Supposedly, for free, they're going to hook up this thing to our wireless router, install a thermostat that can be wirelessly controlled, AND install a wireless control on our hot water heater. I called them and have an October installation date.

They call it Energy Select. You can sign up at GulfPower.com or at 1-877-655-4001.

To qualify, you must have an active Gulf Power residential account (flat rate billing does not qualify), Broadband Internet, central heating/cooling, and ownership of the home or permission of the home owner.

If you have a pool, they'll set it up for remote control too.

Things are usually too good to be true, and you get what you pay for, so I'm kinda skeptical. I'll let you guys know how it works.

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

They're probably just trying to find out when the home is empty so they can rob it.

ghandi wrote:They're probably just trying to find out when the home is empty so they can rob it.

There you go...

I knew there had to be a catch!

Yomama wrote:
ghandi wrote:They're probably just trying to find out when the home is empty so they can rob it.

There you go...

I knew there had to be a catch!

Back when I looked into this there was a monthly fee, did GP do away with that?

nochain wrote:Back when I looked into this there was a monthly fee, did GP do away with that?

I have the post card thingy right here. It says:

"Participation in the energy- and money-saving program is free."

And the installation is free.

Here's a link http://www.gulfpower.com/energyselect/index.asp

Last edited by Yomama on 8/21/2012, 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Yomama wrote:
nochain wrote:Back when I looked into this there was a monthly fee, did GP do away with that?

I have the post card thingy right here. It says:

"Participation in the energy- and money-saving program is free."

And the installation is free.

Well free is good, I'll have to check it out again. Graci.

nochain wrote:Well free is good, I'll have to check it out again. Graci.

I posted a link in my previous post.

Yomama wrote:
nochain wrote:Well free is good, I'll have to check it out again. Graci.

I posted a link in my previous post.
Perfect

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

People are riding wheelchairs all the way across africa. Batteling lions and tigers. The EPA is putting lead in our drinking water, Rosie odonnel had a heart attack, a hurricane is headiing this way, there could be a giant asteriod speeding towards earth, and all you can think about is some free service that makes your home more cozy?
I'm ashamed to even know you.

I used to subscribe to this Energy Select a few years ago, it was called Good Cents Select at the time, but it was the same principle as it is today.

Gulf Power came out and installed it, programmed it and set everything up. I was touted as to save on electricity. My bill increase during the time I was using it. After several service calls and numerous replacements of the thermostat I finally had enough and just had them remove it and re-install my original thermostat. My electricity bill went back down to what it normally was prior to the Energy Select.

Eric, I sure hope that you have a better experience with this than I did.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum