Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Who really pays for your health insurance?

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

dumpcare

Who really pays for health care? It might surprise you

Households paid biggest share of health costs in ’12

Jay Hancock

Kaiser Health News

Eight million people have signed up for subsidized private health insurance under the Af­fordable Care Act, President Oba­ma said this month. Millions more obtained new coverage through Medicaid.

Full implementation of the health law and its wider coverage, new taxes and shifting subsidies have renewed talk of winners and losers, makers and moochers.

Here’s a corrective to common misconceptions about who pays for health care.

1Before Obamacare, we had a free-market health care system.

Government has been part of the business of medicine at least since the 1940s, when Washing­ton began appropriating billions to build private and government hospitals. The drug industry and its customers owe much to feder­ally funded research.

Medicare for seniors and Me­dicaid for the poor, which both began in the 1960s, represent di­rect government transfers from some taxpayers to others. States have set rules for health insur­ance for decades.

If you’re insured through an employer that files an income tax return, your coverage is subsi­dized by the feds. Tax deductions for private medical coverage cost the Treasury $250 billion a year.

What the healthy pay in premi­ums finances care for the sick. Few patients except foreign po­tentates have paid their own medical bills for a long time.

2I fully paid for Medi­care through taxes deducted from salary.

Scholars at the Urban Institute have calculated that the typical Medicare beneficiary who retired in 2010 will cost the system more than twice as much in health costs than the beneficiary and employer paid in Medicare taxes.

It’s another subsidy. If Con­gress had designed Medicare to pay for itself rather than add to the budget deficit every year, pay­roll taxes would be far higher and your take-home pay would have been far lower.

3Premiums from my paycheck fund my company health plan.

Probably not entirely. Or even mostly.

For family coverage, which costs an average of $16,351 last year, the average worker paid only 29% of the premium. For single-person coverage, workers paid 18% of the (lower) total cost.

Although premiums and out­of- pocket costs have soared for consumers, costs have been rising for employers, too — up 80% in a decade. Business spends more than half a trillion dollars annual­ly on employee health care.

4Government and em­ployers pay for almost all health care.

But give workers and consum­ers credit. In 2012, households still paid the largest single share of health costs, according to fed­eral actuaries. Part was premiums paid through employers and di­rectly to insurers. Part was out­of- pocket expense.

The household portion of the health spending pie shrank from 37% in 1987 to 28% in 2012. It’s still larger than the federal gov­ernment’s 26% share or busi­ness’s 21%.

5The insurance company is always the bad guy.

Human resources pros like to trash-talk the company’s insurance plan when they tell employees the doctor network shrank, the deductible rose or some procedures aren’t covered.

But more than half of all work­ers with coverage are enrolled in “self-insured” plans where the employer pays medical bills di­rectly. The insurance company only processes claims. If your company has at least 500 work­ers, it is probably self-insured.

In such plans, the employer is the insurance company. And it’s the employer calling the shots.

Kaiser Health News is an editorially independent program of the Kaiser Family Foundation.

Yes, but for those of us who had health care insurance, we liked our plans, were told we could keep them, and now come to find out that it was a huge lie. I think that's what pisses off most folks in the whole process. A lie was sold by many lies and none of our elected leaders took the time to READ the bill before it became law and the Democrats used a political end run to redistribute OUR wealth (what little we had) to those unwilling to pay or not even wanting insurance. Now, we are still getting hit by high hospitalization costs that we were told would go away once Obamacare was law and that has been a lie too. Not only have costs continued to skyrocket, but premiums have doubled and we are forced to pay for services we don't want or need (see the Nuns lawsuit about having to pay for abortion services and contraception).

"If you want to keep your insurance, you can. If you want to keep your doctor, you can."

^^^ Biggest lie told since Jews were deported from all parts of Europe to places like Auschwitz, Sobribor and places like that.

Health care insurance should be available like car insurance.  

Personal responsibility - not the employers.
Ability to shop and not be stuck with a  monopoly (BCBS)

Sure, there's issues that would have to be ironed out but I think it means less possibility of outward control of your choices.

Simply pulling the govt administered programs out of the market would've been a more practical solution... and saved money.

I've also listed how the govt slowly gained control of health care with hundreds of little progressive steps... and the advent of union risk pools.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

PkrBum wrote:Simply pulling the govt administered programs out of the market would've been a more practical solution... and saved money.

I've also listed how the govt slowly gained control of health care with hundreds of little progressive steps... and the advent of union risk pools.

I like it..I wonder how long before Obamacare IRS SWAT teams will be hitting young people that don't sign up...I give it a year more...

SheWrites wrote:Health care insurance should be available like car insurance.  

Sure, there's issues that would have to be ironed out but I think it means less possibility of outward control of your choices.

We had choose you own insurance and Obama had those plans cancelled.

PACEDOG#1 wrote:

I'm talking choose like you choose your car insurance. Not from an employer. Responsibility lies with the individual/family.

How it became the employer's responsibility is a bit whacked. Goes back to competition in hiring in the 1950s. But even then they didn't hand you the moon with your insurance policy. You had major medical for hospital. Doctors visits were out of pocket. Now if we have to pay a copay of $30 people act as if they are being asked to cut off their right arm and give away their first born.

Uh chick, you could always buy your own plan before Obamacare contrary to popular belief.

PACEDOG#1 wrote:Uh chick, you could always buy your own plan before Obamacare contrary to popular belief.

I agree.

Don't call me chick.

Laughing I'm an old hen.

I'm just saying if there were not monopolies of insurance (try to find something other than BCBS in AL and a doctor that will accept it), and if you could pick/choose/pay for coverage as needed by you/your family, it would be a better option.

SheWrites wrote:
PACEDOG#1 wrote:

I'm talking choose like you choose your car insurance. Not from an employer. Responsibility lies with the individual/family.

How it became the employer's responsibility is a bit whacked. Goes back to competition in hiring in the 1950s. But even then they didn't hand you the moon with your insurance policy. You had major medical for hospital. Doctors visits were out of pocket. Now if we have to pay a copay of $30 people act as if they are being asked to cut off their right arm and give away their first born.

It goes back further than that. It was during fdr's terms when he implemented price and wage controls during wwii.

It's all interesting to see the simple things that were pushed through, people perceived as "benefit" but it all ends up as a right.

So "who really pays for your health insurance" no matter what? You do.

What never gets mentioned is that the employer contribution was compensation... who is getting a raise in lew?

What never gets mentioned is that the employer contribution was compensation... who is getting a raise in lieu?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum