Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Fox News Effect

+7
polecat
no stress
knothead
ZVUGKTUBM
2seaoat
boards of FL
Sal
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1The Fox News Effect Empty The Fox News Effect 4/23/2014, 2:01 pm

Sal

Sal

For the past week or so, there's been a running dialogue between the readers of TPM and its editors regarding the influence of rightwing media - what they're calling "The Fox News Effect".

It's made for some fascinating reading ....

Reader RL -

I'm sure you've heard many stories from your readers about kindly relatives who were racists. Mine go back a couple of generations. I was raised in a military family and despite the conservatism inherent in the military, socially (at least as far as race goes) it has always been reasonably progressive. By the time I was growing up in the 60's it was fully integrated and my parents racial views more or less followed the military lead.

Other than comments about "good blacks and bad blacks" when comparing MLK to Black Panthers race was neither noticed nor much discussed. However, as my parents aged and my father passed away, my mother started reverting back to her 1940's upbringing and racial views.

Once Fox News became a daily fixture then the flood gates were open. She would still be friendly and respectful to individuals of race but any reference to the group included the usual racial epithets. I don't think the malignant impact of Fox News on the older population can be overstated.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/is-there-a-fox-effect

2The Fox News Effect Empty Re: The Fox News Effect 4/23/2014, 2:02 pm

Sal

Sal

Editor -

TPM Reader JOD chimes in with his experience with 'the Fox effect'. I think it's important to recognize in these stories that you don't just stand up a new TV network and suddenly you're changing the the political and racial attitudes of a whole generation of baby boomers and pre-boomers. There's much more cause and effect at work. But these things can be powerful catalysts. There's a reason why people invest in propaganda. It works. Just not in a vacuum.

Reader JOD -

Just a backup to what reader RL had to say...

I was brought up in a very multi-ethnic working class community where nearly everyone was more or less on the same socio-economic level. I ran around with white, black, Hispanic and Indian kids. We were all always in and out of each other’s houses and all of our parents got along very well. This was the 1970s.

My parents were strongly progressive, pro-integration and not at all racist as far as I could tell. I recall one time my father laid into me because I described a kid I'd had a fight with at school as a "beaner". Racial epithets were not allowed in our house. Jimmy Carter, Kennedy, LBJ and FDR were the political heroes in our house.

Leap forward to the early 1990s and my father starts listening to Rush for some reason. By the late 90s he was fully ensconced in the Fox world and has remained there since.

The old man, now 70, sits around talking about 'niggers' and 'beaners', 'wetbacks', 'ragheads', 'kikes' and so on in the most hateful and disgusting way. He blames all of our nation's ills on minorities as well as diseases like menegitis and for the nation's moral decay. He has a bunker mentality as if a mob of angry brown people are going to show up at his door any moment. He also hates women, unions, gays and everyone else. The hate and fear that seethe from that man is stunning.

It is a shocking - and to be honest - very painful thing to see your father go from a tolerant welcoming man to an angry, hateful racist. I have no doubt at all that Fox and Rush had a massive impact on him and his attitude towards other people. I watched it happen.

Fox is powerful.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/more-on-the-fox-effect

3The Fox News Effect Empty Re: The Fox News Effect 4/23/2014, 2:03 pm

Sal

Sal

Reader CG -

My experiences are similar to the readers you have quoted. But in my experience people who get submersed in the right wing media don’t just become more racially and ethnically intolerant – they start buying into the whole package.

My step-father was your classic Archie Bunker-type conservative who was also an open atheist who often made fun of people who didn’t believe in evolution. He had a degree in pharmacy and was so into anthropology as a hobby that for years he was a weekend tour guide at a famous natural history institute.

Fast forward 40 years, with 20+ years of right wing media. Now he doubts evolution, and I know several others who have made a similar transition. I’m sure it’s because his trusted news sources all disbelieve in evolution, so he either has to question his trusted sources or change what used to be a core belief of his.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/more-on-the-fox-effect-part-1

4The Fox News Effect Empty Re: The Fox News Effect 4/23/2014, 2:05 pm

Sal

Sal

Reader CB -

I have to say, I've seen a noticeable shift in my parents' views over the years as they've fallen deeper and deeper into Fox's grip. Although much more so for my mother than my father. (In fact, virtually every time we talk on the phone, I hear Fox droning on in the background. And when I am home visiting, I make it point to put Fox on mute.)

The vitriol that comes out of her mouth, the seething rage at "illegals," "Section 8," and all the other "low life" who, with the government's blessing, are taking away everything that she spent her life working for, is stunning. I don't remember her being that angry when I was growing up. It's really been in the last ten years or so that it's come on strong, and when Fox has become a virtual addiction.

What makes it worse, though, is the sheer amount of misinformation that she has bought into, along with her adoption of Fox's reflexive disdain of facts that counter the desired narrative (E.g., death panels, Bill O'Reilly has never divorced). My mother is a smart woman; she taught high school English for 35 years. It pains me to see her this way; it's simply not healthy to carry around that much simmering anger and paranoia.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/more-on-the-fox-effect-part-2

5The Fox News Effect Empty Re: The Fox News Effect 4/23/2014, 2:08 pm

Sal

Sal

Editor -

TPM Reader BG hits on a point I've been thinking about a lot in this "Fox Effect" series. As we've noted, you don't just stand up a cable news network and suddenly everyone's a cranky racist sending Obama witch-doctor emails. If only it were so easy. But I also don't think it's just as simple as saying that Fox is a mirror of the political journey/worldview of one generation or cohort of the American population. It's clearly been a driver of political ideas and, for many, political identity, coupled with and growing out from conservative talk radio.

One key in my mind has been to affirm and normalize views that have been considered unacceptable to express or at least express out loud. And that's no small thing.

Movements and political consciousness are inherently social. If you go back to the coalescence of the "netroots" movement within the Democratic party (not a good name for it) there's something broadly similar afoot. You can trace this from the Democrats reaction to the impeachment crisis in '98 and '99, through the outrage at the contested 2000 election, nursed along by grassroots web-based communities, picked up by the Dean Movement and in some ways reaching fruition in the 2006 landslide election and the 2008 Obama campaign (though the Obama world was always very arms length from many elements of this community). There were a lot of different strains in what I'm drawing together here. A number of people who didn't want much to do with each other. But here too we have relatively isolated people finding communities and media sources that in essence tell them, "No, you're not the only who feels this way. A lot of other people do to. And you can connect up with them. And then you can do things together."

That sort of affirmation is no minor thing. It is actually explosive in political terms. And while the sociology of the older Fox group and the generally younger new era Dem group is very, very different, there is some parallel. Where we see it here is Fox's ability to tell people that some rather unlovely views and beliefs and hopes are okay, are normal and that a lot of other people think the same way.

Reader BG -

I've been reading your Fox Effect posts with interest, but I think you may be missing an important, if more sinister, point here. The people your correspondents are discussing -- usually their parents, and older ones at that -- grew up at a strange time in American history. The 1930-1960s were decades of shocking and profound changes in America and the world. And nowhere were those changes more evident than in race relations. And while the country has evolved, as one correspondent has it, I am not sure that evolution took with many people from that generation. And I think Fox News has liberated latent anger, dislike and prejudice that simply did not have an acceptable outlet in polite society in the pre-Obama days.

Let's take my grandmother, for instance. She's 93, grew up in Washington, DC, where she has lived all her life, and always had what one might term "antiquated" views on race. She wasn't racist in the Archie Bunker way, but she clearly retained Washington's Old South views on race relations, though until recently she covered it quite well. Fast forward to the Obama years -- and her turning on Fox a bit too much -- and the old, suppressed racism is on full display. She is also angry at "immigrants," conveniently forgetting that she was born in Eastern Europe.

But here's the thing: I don't think Fox changed her in any serious way; I believe Fox has changed what counts for permissible rhetoric on race and social ills in this country. And I think that the old, suppressed views on race from the childhood of older Boomers and the remaining Depression-era generation are liberated by that permissiveness. It's not Fox spewing hate that makes these people hate. They already hated, but for decades it just wasn't ok to say it out loud, and you saw little of it in the mainstream media. Now, however, it's ok to say it out loud because the guys on TV say it, and so others must also believe it. Scary stuff.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/more-on-the-fox-effect-part-4

6The Fox News Effect Empty Re: The Fox News Effect 4/23/2014, 2:38 pm

boards of FL

boards of FL

Sal wrote:I've been reading your Fox Effect posts with interest, but I think you may be missing an important, if more sinister, point here. The people your correspondents are discussing -- usually their parents, and older ones at that -- grew up at a strange time in American history. The 1930-1960s were decades of shocking and profound changes in America and the world. And nowhere were those changes more evident than in race relations. And while the country has evolved, as one correspondent has it, I am not sure that evolution took with many people from that generation. And I think Fox News has liberated latent anger, dislike and prejudice that simply did not have an acceptable outlet in polite society in the pre-Obama days.

Ding ding ding!

7The Fox News Effect Empty Re: The Fox News Effect 4/23/2014, 2:40 pm

2seaoat

Dead cinch correct. You see it spill out on this forum. It is the pervasive acceptance of the unacceptable and it is clear it is not by accident.

8The Fox News Effect Empty Re: The Fox News Effect 4/23/2014, 2:54 pm

Sal

Sal

And, people wonder why we are so divided ....

.... consumers of the rightwing media are wounded and frightened, which makes them incredibly dangerous to democracy ....

.... this is how domestic terrorists get turned into patriots, teachers into the enemy, scientists into liars, and a moderately conservative President into a Marxist jihadist usurper.

9The Fox News Effect Empty Re: The Fox News Effect 4/23/2014, 3:01 pm

Sal

Sal

I started thinking about this a couple of years ago.

I coached baseball with a guy whose mother had just had a heart attack and then suffered a broken hip.

She was being discharged from the hospital, but they were struggling with where she would go.

She couldn't go home because his dad wouldn't stop smoking around her.

He told me that he hardly recognized his father anymore because all he cared about was smoking, watching Fox News, listening to Rush, and getting his hate on.

He wouldn't even go outside to smoke because he was scared of his Puerto Rican neighbors.

Last edited by Sal on 4/23/2014, 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

10The Fox News Effect Empty Re: The Fox News Effect 4/23/2014, 3:01 pm

boards of FL

boards of FL

Sal wrote:.... this is how domestic terrorists get turned into patriots, teachers into the enemy, scientists into liars, and a moderately conservative President into a Marxist jihadist usurper.

...the entire education system - even the concept of learning itself - painted as liberal brainwashing and indoctrination.

11The Fox News Effect Empty Re: The Fox News Effect 4/23/2014, 3:03 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

...Marxist jihadist usurper...

Which two posters have referred to President Obama by at least one of the above descriptors?

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

12The Fox News Effect Empty Re: The Fox News Effect 4/23/2014, 4:28 pm

knothead

knothead

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:...Marxist jihadist usurper...

Which two posters have referred to President Obama by at least one of the above descriptors?

z, you have a PM . .

13The Fox News Effect Empty Re: The Fox News Effect 4/23/2014, 4:53 pm

Mutual gratification circle jerk... enjoy comrades. Leftist media outnumbers the right ten to one. Soon it'll be outlawed.

14The Fox News Effect Empty Re: The Fox News Effect 4/23/2014, 4:55 pm

knothead

knothead

PkrBum wrote:Mutual gratification circle jerk... enjoy comrades. Leftist media outnumbers the right ten to one. Soon it'll be outlawed.

I assume you are not including the multitude of right wing AM radio circle jerkers filling the airwaves with hatred 24/7?

15The Fox News Effect Empty Re: The Fox News Effect 4/23/2014, 6:46 pm

no stress

no stress

PkrBum wrote:Mutual gratification circle jerk... enjoy comrades. Leftist media outnumbers the right ten to one. Soon it'll be outlawed.
LMAO !!  Freakin awesome post!   Every now and again they have to fire up one of these to make themselves feel good. Its no wonder their rating beat all other "news" channel ratings combined when even the leftwingnutz are starting threads about them.

16The Fox News Effect Empty Re: The Fox News Effect 4/23/2014, 10:35 pm

Sal

Sal

Gunz wrote:
LMAO !!  Freakin awesome post!   Every now and again they have to fire up one of these to make themselves feel good.  Its no wonder their rating beat all other "news" channel ratings combined when even the leftwingnutz are starting threads about them.

Awesome. 

You guys are eating propaganda up with a spoon and don't even know it. 

Useful idiots. 

17The Fox News Effect Empty Re: The Fox News Effect 4/23/2014, 10:55 pm

polecat

polecat

http://www.stonekettle.com/

Anybody else on here read Stonkettle Station? He gets a little long winded but his latest blog shows how they operate.

Palin declares “[US] Attorney General Eric Holder thinks government should force gun owners to wear special ‘identifying’ bracelets…” and then, as usual, being Palin, she self-righteously assumes the role of Lady Liberty, wraps herself in rabblerousing rhetoric and her dogmatic religion, and then proclaims herself defender of truth, justice, and the American way. Bring it on, Holder!

And the crowd goes wild.

But see, here’s the thing, the Attorney General said no such thing.

Eric Holder never suggested that gun owners be forced to wear identifying marks of any kind. Never.

Palin, who specifically invoked her religion – a religion that explicitly and in no uncertain terms forbids her from bearing false witness – falsely condemns the Attorney General for something he never said. And, not to be pedantic or anything, but it would appear that Palin worshipper Laura Kenway’s plea to her deity went unanswered, since Kenway is obviously lacking in the wisdom, god given or otherwise, to discern the difference between that particular “sin” and truth. Now it may appear that I’m digressing again, but that lack of critical thinking and healthy skepticism is a big part of my point.

Here’s the thing: Palin didn’t come up with this bit of paranoid gibberish on her own. Predictably she got it from her erstwhile employers, specifically from an article posted on Fox News Politics on April 8th (the day before Palin’s post) entitled Holder: We Want To Explore Gun Tracking Bracelets.

Say what you like about Fox News, they know their audience. Eric Holder is to conservatives what the dinner bell was to Pavlov’s dog and people like Palin can always be counted on to bark furiously and run around in frantic circles biting at their collective tails whenever the Attorney General’s name comes up.

As is the usual tactic with Fox, the title is a form of psychological warfare, information manipulation – specifically a technique called “Insertion” used to subconsciously imprint a concept on a target population, or reinforce an existing concept. The title is a logical fallacy, that is it begs the question, it’s a self-contained form of circular reasoning, i.e. Holder wants to take away your Second Amendment rights. How do you know he wants to take away your guns? Because he’s Eric Holder. ‘Round and ‘round, bark bark bark, lather, rinse, repeat as necessary.

But you have to give Fox their due, they are very, very good at this. The article is careful to provide the barest modicum of Holder’s actual statement without in any way justifying the explicit accusation in the title – and Fox doesn’t have to. The title is the whole message. Fox has a very low opinion of its audience (and if Palin is any example, justifiably so) and it knows that most won’t bother to read past the title. You can tell the tactic is effective by looking at the quantitative indicators, what military tacticians call “Measure of Effect (MOE).” In this case, an immediate and easily computed MOE would be 10,000 shares on social media from one source alone. And you could break that down into whatever degree of resolution you want, i.e. number of shares that mindlessly accept the information without comment or objection, number that embellish the information without prompting, estimate of total views based on total number of interlinked Facebook ‘Friends,’ and the part that pays: the number of Fox News page-loads resulting directly from social media or from related search topics.

Long term MOE is, of course, the unshakable conviction that Eric Holder – and by extension, Barack Obama – are coming to take your guns.

18The Fox News Effect Empty Re: The Fox News Effect 4/24/2014, 1:16 am

Markle

Markle

polecat wrote:http://www.stonekettle.com/

Anybody else on here read Stonkettle Station? He gets a little long winded but his latest blog shows how they operate.

Palin declares “[US] Attorney General Eric Holder thinks government should force gun owners to wear special ‘identifying’ bracelets…” and then, as usual, being Palin, she self-righteously assumes the role of Lady Liberty, wraps herself in rabblerousing rhetoric and her dogmatic religion, and then proclaims herself defender of truth, justice, and the American way. Bring it on, Holder!

And the crowd goes wild.

Eric Holder never suggested that gun owners be forced to wear identifying marks of any kind. Never.

[...]

Long term MOE is, of course, the unshakable conviction that Eric Holder – and by extension, Barack Obama – are coming to take your guns.

Polecat: So sorry...but you are lying.

Here are the words of Eric Holder.

"ATTORNEY GENERAL ERIC HOLDER: I think that one of the things that we learned when we were trying to get past those common sense reforms last year, Vice President Biden and I had a meeting with a group of technology people and we talked about how guns can be made more safe by making them either through finger print identification, the gun talks to a bracelet or something that you might wear, how guns can be used only by the person who is lawfully in possession of the weapon."

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2014/04/09/eric_holder_gun_owners_should_wear_a_bracelet_to_use_their_weapon.html#ooid=hiOGZ2bDrBR_oy_xzR0XiYKZpEeZMVNw

19The Fox News Effect Empty Re: The Fox News Effect 4/24/2014, 7:37 pm

polecat

polecat

Markle wrote:

And the crowd goes wild.

[...]

Polecat:  So sorry...but you are lying.

"ATTORNEY GENERAL ERIC HOLDER: I think that one of the things that we learned when we were trying to get past those common sense reforms last year, Vice President Biden and I had a meeting with a group of technology people and we talked about how guns can be made more safe by making them either through finger print identification, the gun talks to a bracelet or something that you might wear, how guns can be used only by the person who is lawfully in possession of the weapon.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2014/04/09/eric_holder_gun_owners_should_wear_a_bracelet_to_use_their_weapon.html#ooid=hiOGZ2bDrBR_oy_xzR0XiYKZpEeZMVNw

can you read?
Palin declares “[US] Attorney General Eric Holder thinks government should force gun owners to wear special ‘identifying’ bracelets…”[/

where in his statement does it say anything about ''forcing gun owners to wear special ‘identifying’ bracelets.
I will say Bundy now so you can cut my mic... LOL

20The Fox News Effect Empty Re: The Fox News Effect 4/24/2014, 8:41 pm

polecat wrote:
Markle wrote:

And the crowd goes wild.

[...]

"ATTORNEY GENERAL ERIC HOLDER: I think that one of the things that we learned when we were trying to get past those common sense reforms last year, Vice President Biden and I had a meeting with a group of technology people and we talked about how guns can be made more safe by making them either through finger print identification, the gun talks to a bracelet or something that you might wear, how guns can be used only by the person who is lawfully in possession of the weapon.

can you read?
Palin declares “[US] Attorney General Eric Holder thinks government should force gun owners to wear special ‘identifying’ bracelets…”[/

where in his statement does it say anything about ''forcing gun owners to wear special ‘identifying’ bracelets.

you must be real stupid if you think when one of you liberal anti gun peeps say something about wearing a bracelet it doesn't mean they would like to enforce that.

say bundy all you want. not my fault youre stupid

21The Fox News Effect Empty Re: The Fox News Effect 4/24/2014, 10:38 pm

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

The intent of any of this type of technology is to make sure that accidents are less likely to happen. That is to say it keeps anyone but the lawful owner of the gun from firing it. It keeps children from accidentally shooting their siblings or friends. It keeps muggers from taking your gun from you and using it against you. It has nothing whatsoever to do with pinning a "I have a gun" badge on a person to identify him/her in a crowd or something. Some guns have palm print ID technology too. That's pretty neat in a way because you don't have to lock your gun up. You can keep it right on the nightstand and no one will shoot you with it.

The misinterpretation of the gun bracelet comment is just stunning. It is a well known fact that people who are upset and under stress do not think as clearly as people who have time to reflect on a topic in a calm state of mind. I think it is the intention of F News to keep their viewers in such a state of agitation that they are actually unable and then unwilling to process information in a logical or critical way. The effects on some that were reported in the comments Sal posted at the beginning show the changes these once normal people went through.

Perhaps their true feelings were just covered up, however their more open minded attitudes did sound quite well grounded in their everyday lives. Then they started listening to the hate and fear peddled by F News and their attitudes did a 180, either that or they had been faking all the 'love thy neighbor' stuff years ago. I don't think that can be proven either way but one thing is clear, their attitudes, thoughts and behavior have changed due to Fox and right wing radio and I don't think it changed for the better.

22The Fox News Effect Empty Re: The Fox News Effect 4/24/2014, 11:22 pm

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2453869,00.asp

23The Fox News Effect Empty Re: The Fox News Effect 4/25/2014, 12:26 am

Markle

Markle

polecat wrote:
Markle wrote:

And the crowd goes wild.

[...]

can you read?

Not very familiar with this administration are you?

If you don't think that was Attorney General Eric Holder saying the government should be able to force people to do those things, your a few fries short of a happy meal!

24The Fox News Effect Empty Re: The Fox News Effect 4/25/2014, 4:27 am

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Markle wrote:
polecat wrote:
Markle wrote:

And the crowd goes wild.

[...]

can you read?

If you don't think that was Attorney General Eric Holder saying the government should be able to force people to do those things, your a few fries short of a happy meal!

http://www.wired.com/2010/01/high-tech-guns-digital-revolvers-koosh-bullets-and-triple-tasers/

25The Fox News Effect Empty Re: The Fox News Effect 4/25/2014, 4:55 am

Markle

Markle

othershoe1030 wrote:
Markle wrote:
polecat wrote:
Markle wrote:

And the crowd goes wild.

[...]

can you read?

http://www.wired.com/2010/01/high-tech-guns-digital-revolvers-koosh-bullets-and-triple-tasers/

Bottom line. What does a four and a half year old article have to do with the desire of Eric Holder and President Barack Hussein Obama to disarm Americans?

Here is what gives wet dreams to Holder and President Obama.

The Fox News Effect Englandguns_bulldozed_AFP

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum