Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Obama Preparing to Grant Clemency to Hundreds of Non-Violent Drug Offenders

+4
Nekochan
2seaoat
ZVUGKTUBM
Sal
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Sal

Sal

Long overdue ....

“I take my clemency authority very seriously,” President Obama reportedly told a group of U.S. attorneys at a meeting last month at the White House. You wouldn’t know it from his record thus far. While he has recently seem a new spurt of activity, granting commutations to eight drug offenders, and another last week who received a longer sentence by accident, he nonetheless has the worst record of granting presidential mercy to those in prison of any president in modern history.

But Obama says he plans to correct for this stingy use of his pardon power, potentially granting clemency to hundreds or even thousands of non-violent drug offenders before he leaves office, an unnamed administration official told Yahoo News. U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder announced Monday that the Justice Department will release new standards for assessing clemency applications, in line with this new effort.

“The White House has indicated it wants to consider additional clemency applications, to restore a degree of justice, fairness and proportionality for deserving individuals who do not pose a threat to public safety,” Holder said in a video message. “The Justice Department is committed to recommending as many qualified applicants as possible for reduced sentences.”

Many of the drug offenders who would likely have their sentences shortened by the White House were sentenced under draconian sentencing regimes that mandated decades in prison even as many judges giving those sentences lamented that their hands were tied. Many of these individuals would be given lesser sentences if they were convicted today.

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2014/04/21/3428907/white-house-announces-plan-to-consider-shortening-drug-offenders-prison-sentences-en-masse/

I read one of these stories today about a chick who got busted for selling very little meth, but refused to help authorities with the case against her dope dealing and heroin addicted husband. Sorry, but I don't feel any sympathy for her.

Of course, I am sure hundreds if not thousands of pardons will come across his desk and he will sign them all. Just more judicial fiat being practiced by a man not good enough to make a living at being a lawyer.

He wasn't good enough at being a lawyer so he became the President,eh? Roll on the friggin floor laughing!

I agree that the original sentences were too harsh... and that they should largely be released. But I won't be surprised if they have a great deal of trouble staying out. First they didn't show good judgement in the first place... then they've been subjected to violent criminals and a violent system. As long as we're realistic about the expectations and it won't be used to argue against getting rid of prohibitions... get started.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Dreamsglore wrote:He wasn't good enough at being a lawyer so he became the President,eh? Roll on the friggin floor laughing!

I know.... I wish Boards would re-instate the reputation system just so posters could grade the stupidest comments appropriately.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

2seaoat

As long as we're realistic about the expectations and it won't be used to argue against getting rid of prohibitions... get started.

When you lived in Texas did you do a road trip and get some peyote? Would you please get a haircut because all that hair is covering up your other face. Two faces, one that says government is interfering with personal liberty, and the other not wanting to get rid of Government prohibitions......will you sing the national anthem at the Sybil convention? Arrow Arrow Arrow 

You misread... to argue against ridding govt prohibitions.

2seaoat

You misread... to argue against ridding govt prohibitions.

We agree, but just because your hair is long.....I still suspect a crew cut is due.

Well with Clinton we saw what a licensed lawyer could do.... Lie, commit perjury and obstruct justice to the point he was nearly impeached. Obama makes Clinton look like a choir boy with the exception of a body count of people associated with the Clinton's that have been killed. So yes, your homey never made a damn dime as a lawyer and because he sucks

Nekochan

Nekochan

I don't know that the Feds normally go after the average dope smoker. I hope they're VERY careful about who they let out.

Sal

Sal

PACEDOG#1 wrote:Well with Clinton we saw what a licensed lawyer could do.... Lie, commit perjury and obstruct justice to the point he was nearly impeached. Obama makes Clinton look like a choir boy with the exception of a body count of people associated with the Clinton's that have been killed. So yes, your homey never made a damn dime as a lawyer and because he sucks

Did your mother drop you on your head when you were a baby?? .....

..... repeatedly???

Rolling Eyes 

If he does thousands, it wont be the norm

http://www.justice.gov/pardon/statistics.htm

I'm just curious as to what his criteria would be. pot, crack, herion, pain pill dealers. or just people who got caught with a little bit on them. Although im not sure if you go to prison that long just for having a little on you.

Sal

Sal

It's past time for a paradigm shift. 

QueenOfHearts

QueenOfHearts

This is a good thing. I have never believed in minimum mandatory sentencing.

Markle

Markle

Sal wrote:
PACEDOG#1 wrote:Well with Clinton we saw what a licensed lawyer could do.... Lie, commit perjury and obstruct justice to the point he was nearly impeached. Obama makes Clinton look like a choir boy with the exception of a body count of people associated with the Clinton's that have been killed. So yes, your homey never made a damn dime as a lawyer and because he sucks

..... repeatedly???
Rolling Eyes 

Sal again has a slur, but nothing else to back up...well...back up what?

President William Jefferson Clinton WAS IMPEACHED. He was NOT CONVICTED by the Senate. Same thing will happen today.

As you know Sal, President Barack Hussein Obama was never more than a low level attorney in a very large firm. A firm where he met, and worked with, Rod Blagojevich and Tony Rezko. Both of whom are serving time in prison.

Sal wrote:It's past time for a paradigm shift. 

Im not sure what you mean by that. My mind reading skills started to go away around the time I turned 40, and honestly Im a good bit past that now. lol

? Care to just say it...............

Markle

Markle

Sal wrote:Long overdue ....

“I take my clemency authority very seriously,” President Obama reportedly told a group of U.S. attorneys at a meeting last month at the White House. You wouldn’t know it from his record thus far. While he has recently seem a new spurt of activity, granting commutations to eight drug offenders, and another last week who received a longer sentence by accident, he nonetheless has the worst record of granting presidential mercy to those in prison of any president in modern history.

But Obama says he plans to correct for this stingy use of his pardon power, potentially granting clemency to hundreds or even thousands of non-violent drug offenders before he leaves office, an unnamed administration official told Yahoo News. U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder announced Monday that the Justice Department will release new standards for assessing clemency applications, in line with this new effort.

“The White House has indicated it wants to consider additional clemency applications, to restore a degree of justice, fairness and proportionality for deserving individuals who do not pose a threat to public safety,” Holder said in a video message. “The Justice Department is committed to recommending as many qualified applicants as possible for reduced sentences.”

Many of the drug offenders who would likely have their sentences shortened by the White House were sentenced under draconian sentencing regimes that mandated decades in prison even as many judges giving those sentences lamented that their hands were tied. Many of these individuals would be given lesser sentences if they were convicted today.

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2014/04/21/3428907/white-house-announces-plan-to-consider-shortening-drug-offenders-prison-sentences-en-masse/

Once again President Barack Hussein Obama is sidestepping the LAW and writing his own.  Congress has been working on changes to the sentencing guidelines and President Obama is doing nothing more than building up the voting base of Democrats.

Shameful.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Markle wrote:

Once again President Barack Hussein Obama is sidestepping the LAW and writing his own.  Congress has been working on changes to the sentencing guidelines and President Obama is doing nothing more than building up the voting base of Democrats.

Shameful.

Obama Preparing to Grant Clemency to Hundreds of Non-Violent Drug Offenders Yada_y10

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Markle

Markle

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:
Markle wrote:

Shameful.

Obama Preparing to Grant Clemency to Hundreds of Non-Violent Drug Offenders Yada_y10

You're fun!

Obama Preparing to Grant Clemency to Hundreds of Non-Violent Drug Offenders E2454354-4d44-4ac6-9b35-84e4be224b5b

Markle wrote:
Sal wrote:

..... repeatedly???
Rolling Eyes 

President William Jefferson Clinton WAS IMPEACHED.  He was NOT CONVICTED by the Senate.  Same thing will happen today.

As you know Sal, President Barack Hussein Obama was never more than a low level attorney in a very large firm.  A firm where he met, and worked with, Rod Blagojevich and Tony Rezko.  Both of whom are serving time in prison.

Many people met and worked w/ Blago and Rezko. What a dumb statement.

Dreamsglore wrote:
Markle wrote:
Sal wrote:

..... repeatedly???
Rolling Eyes 

President William Jefferson Clinton WAS IMPEACHED.  He was NOT CONVICTED by the Senate.  Same thing will happen today.

As you know Sal, President Barack Hussein Obama was never more than a low level attorney in a very large firm.  A firm where he met, and worked with, Rod Blagojevich and Tony Rezko.  Both of whom are serving time in prison.

And they are in prison too.

PACEDOG#1 wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:
Markle wrote:
Sal wrote:

..... repeatedly???
Rolling Eyes 

And they are in prison too.

They are? Everybody who worked w/ them are in prison? Wow! That must be the whole senate of Ill. and every alderman and every staff member! Who knew!

The last three governors of Illinois are currently in prison.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Gee, thanks for that bit of sophisticated sarcasm ... Ya'll ... LOL

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum