Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Fat free is not the way to go

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Fat free is not the way to go Empty Fat free is not the way to go 3/29/2014, 2:43 pm

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

This was an interesting report on just when Americans started getting so overweight and at least one of the reasons for it. Diving into all foods fatty is not the way to go of course. There are good fats and bad, same with carbs as the article points out.

Now, to be fair, the kinds of carbs the authors of the guidelines had in mind were whole grains, fruits and vegetables.

But this message was lost in translation. What did Americans hear? Fat is bad; carbs are good.

And the food industry saw the low-fat, high-carb mantra as an opportunity to create a whole new range of products. Fat-free frozen yogurt, fat-free muffins and cookies — the formula was: Take out the fat; add lots of sugar.

"Right around this time [when people started eating more refined grains and sugar] is when Americans starts getting fatter and fatter, and more diabetic," Taubes says.

So, in trying to address one problem — heart disease — by cutting way back on fat, many experts we talked to agreed that the original dietary goals may have helped fuel other problems, like diabetes and obesity.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2014/03/28/295332576/why-we-got-fatter-during-the-fat-free-food-boom

2Fat free is not the way to go Empty Re: Fat free is not the way to go 3/30/2014, 12:52 pm

Fresh food, no preservatives, no added fat, moderation, and exercise. I stick with this and never listen to the "this is bad for you...oh wait...now it's good" propaganda.

Anything reconstructed chemically is not a friend of the body...my humble opinion.

Agreed... I buy my meat and vegetables directly from farms now too. It's a bit more expensive... but so worth it.

I also hunt/fish, gather mushrooms, and grow fruits/veges... and I'm setting up chickens this year.

I always compare expense of buying a healthier choice to the price of a Big Mac meal that is consumed at one sitting by one person and adds to the ill health of a nation.  So if I take that same 6++ dollars and apply it to food that will feed a family with leftovers...that's a good bargain and I do not label it expensive as I justify my healthy spending.  Very Happy 

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

PkrBum wrote:Agreed... I buy my meat and vegetables directly from farms now too. It's a bit more expensive... but so worth it.

I also hunt/fish, gather mushrooms, and grow fruits/veges... and I'm setting up chickens this year.

We had chickens when we lived in the country in Arkansas. They are just wonderful to watch and listen to. You will pick up on their little signals and enjoy the fresh eggs too. Ours ran free all over the place and were not bothered by hawks. We did have a chicken snake now and then and some possums but those things were dealt with.

I saw a report recently that mentioned some kind of additive to cattle feed the helps the animals put on weight. It suggested that this could not be good for humans, ya think?

othershoe1030 wrote:
PkrBum wrote:Agreed... I buy my meat and vegetables directly from farms now too. It's a bit more expensive... but so worth it.

We had chickens when we lived in the country in Arkansas. They are just wonderful to watch and listen to. You will pick up on their little signals and enjoy the fresh eggs too. Ours ran free all over the place and were not bothered by hawks. We did have a chicken snake now and then and some possums but those things were dealt with.

I saw a report recently that mentioned some kind of additive to cattle feed the helps the animals put on weight. It suggested that this could not be good for humans, ya think?

I think... lol. I bought a cow and pig from a farmer last year... excellent meat... much better than store bought... and no steroids or crap. I had chickens as a kid and am looking forward to the eggs. I've been buying those from a farm too... fantastic taste.

I read this article. I'm leery about any science coming out these days.

So far last few years,

PSA test are bad
Mammograms are unnecessary
Being overweight is NOT a bad thing

and so many others but I cant think off the top of my head this morning.

I agree with all of you about the fresh foods. eat like a cave man, which is hard to do. I live in the suburbs I cant grow my own. And it is extremely expensive to eat healthy.

One thing I have done that I can afford is to eat a small portion of organic carrots every day. cost about $2 a day. It has done amazing wonders for my digestive system. I have been struggling with digestive problems for years as some here may know. If you have gall bladder or digestive problems, it would hurt to make this a routine. I love them so its easy to stay with it.

I got a go.......................have fun.

Karma, try container gardening. I've done well with mine in the past and have started one this year in a 2 foot square container I found at Lowes.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

I just want to mention that NO FATS is definitely NOT the way to go. I've seen too many people try to leave fats completely out of their diet...your body NEEDS fats. Just pick Omega 3 fats over Omega 6. Olive, flax seed, grape seed are all Omega 3...very heart healthy. Not to say that some Omega 6 is a horrible thing; when frying foods like chicken-fried steak, I drain them sideways in a rack over a paper towel so most of the oil drains back out...tastes better, anyway. I always use some olive oil along with the vegetable oil.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum