Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Can a Christian, Jew, Catholic or Muslim be moral?

+5
Floridatexan
Markle
TEOTWAWKI
othershoe1030
Wordslinger
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Maybe not.

If religion is the only thing keeping you from bank robbery, rape, and murder, you are not a moral person.

One of my opponents on this theme claims all our morals come from God.

It's moral then to ask someone to kill his son to prove his loyalty, right?

Or to kill all the Egyptian children as a punishment to their parents.

Or, considering he, she or It's infallable, to let innocent victims of diseases like cancer writhe in torment for years?

None of that would have happened if god was a "good person."

Reality!

Wordslinger wrote:Maybe not.

If religion is the only thing keeping you from bank robbery, rape, and murder, you are not a moral person.

Or, considering he, she or It's infallable, to let innocent victims of diseases like cancer writhe in torment for years?

Reality!

Can a Christian, Jew, Catholic or Muslim be moral? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQpOFoc1pc582z3nZEGeQO2w0z0zKnxLg0esTW8admEAZIIZSJyyg

I've never stated any such thing.

When did I ever say that God was good or bad... or even cared for what the human race does to itself?

You've done that all by yourself proving how pathetic and self-serving your agenda is to your high crusade against others not like yourself.

In the end you, and the supposedly enlightened progressive liberals like you, are no better than those you rail against.

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky1nY3jlq1M

Very Happy

Last edited by Damaged Eagle on 3/24/2014, 12:25 am; edited 1 time in total

Can a Christian, Jew, Catholic or Muslim be moral? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT5cGgCd_xIyZldXJFX49PNs187dUqkRpRqGKenEUvPmy6ykU9-

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzJNYYkkhzc#aid=P-Z72VysEiQ

Very Happy 

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

It would be nice if posters could stick to the topic instead of throwing out ideas unrelated to the original post, just mucking up the waters. It reminds me of tossing out little shreds of metallic material from a plane to fool the missals trying to destroy it.

Distraction is the order of the day for the chuckling eagle, or sparrow or whatever bird he is.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Did god abort 58 MILLION children that no one in his right mind would say were not children ? No you progressive Liberals did that...maybe God won't drown you all.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Damaged Eagle wrote:

Reality!

Can a Christian, Jew, Catholic or Muslim be moral? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQpOFoc1pc582z3nZEGeQO2w0z0zKnxLg0esTW8admEAZIIZSJyyg

I've never stated any such thing. What makes you think I was accusing you, or even aiming my statements at you? What was the name of that tune ...'You're so vain?"

When did I ever say that God was good or bad... or even cared for what the human race does to itself? Nothing in my original statement is aimed at you or whatever you did or didn't say about god

You've done that all by yourself proving how pathetic and self-serving your agenda is to your high crusade against others not like yourself. Ain't nothing, Sweetcheeks, against expressing one's opinion here. That's what this is for Booby.

In the end you're no better than those you rail against. According to you, Giggles.

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky1nY3jlq1M

Very Happy

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Reality!

I think your point is very well taken. If the morals are internalized then the person takes them on as his own without the need for supervision. Some people wouldn't keep a bag of money that falls from an armored truck even if no one was watching. Moral behavior is good behavior performed when no one is watching. It does not require religion, just a notion of right and wrong.

I do think that Christians believe that God loves them which would imply that he/she/it cares about humans. He did give his only son to save us, did he not, according to the Book?

othershoe1030 wrote:It would be nice if posters could stick to the topic instead of throwing out ideas unrelated to the original post, just mucking up the waters. It reminds me of tossing out little shreds of metallic material from a plane to fool the missals trying to destroy it.

Distraction is the order of the day for the chuckling eagle, or sparrow or whatever bird he is.

Can a Christian, Jew, Catholic or Muslim be moral? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQAisoRHWWbHIF7SxTZ3iNCdAGXUT73JOzWQ-bsIbdXXK2vr9ogkg

It's missiles not missals. One's used to destroy the other is used in prayer... but then that's beside the point. The point is that all that I've thrown out for you to chew on like rabid dogs has only shown your true nature. Just as your new attempt to belittle and demean me only show how true that last sentence I wrote was honey pie...

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae829mFAGGE

Wink 

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

othershoe1030 wrote:

Reality!

I think your point is very well taken. If the morals are internalized then the person takes them on as his own without the need for supervision. Some people wouldn't keep a bag of money that falls from an armored truck even if no one was watching. Moral behavior is good behavior performed when no one is watching. It does not require religion, just a notion of right and wrong.

I do think that Christians believe that God loves them which would imply that he/she/it cares about humans. He did give his only son to save us, did he not, according to the Book?

No rational person can deny that there are many moral perspectives and teachings in the Bible, Torah or Quran. Nor can it be denied that the God portrayed in each is very much a sadist for whom, evidently few of the precious "ten commandments" apply.

In response to your point about the Christian god giving his only son, etc, what kind of father would do that to his child? Only a sick sonofabitch!

I suppose I could be convinced that a god existed or gods exist, etc. But no one could convince me that that god figure deserved praise, love or worship.

God is supposed to me omnipotent, right? And clearly, the God of the major four religions appears opposed to evil. Yet evil still exists. Why? Because God enjoys the show? Or because he's unable to put an end to it?

The thing is, it appears that for every good God does, he does a few bads just for the hell of it.

For those reasons, I can't think of God as a good person.

Wordslinger wrote:
Damaged Eagle wrote:
I've never stated any such thing.
 What makes you think I was accusing you, or even aiming my statements at you?  What was the name of that tune ...'You're so vain?"

But then so are you.

Wordslinger wrote:
Damaged Eagle wrote:
When did I ever say that God was good or bad... or even cared for what the human race does to itself?
 Nothing in my original statement is aimed at you or whatever you did or didn't say about god

That would be wise of you.

Wordslinger wrote:
Damaged Eagle wrote:
You've done that all by yourself proving how pathetic and self-serving your agenda is to your high crusade against others not like yourself.
Ain't nothing, Sweetcheeks,  against expressing one's opinion here.  That's what this is for Booby.

As I am and what I've had to say remains.

Wordslinger wrote:
Damaged Eagle wrote:
In the end you're no better than those you rail against.
  According to you, Giggles.

Can a Christian, Jew, Catholic or Muslim be moral? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTjOkLX2OgIWZ6AP45CpRH7OmnauKZZejMdbhMVfTA9FEuDmRlw

Yep!

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIUulrbc41s

Very Happy

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

God is not a good person. God is not a person at all. He is a spirit. God is life , God is love, God is Light, God is a creator.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Damaged Eagle wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:It would be nice if posters could stick to the topic instead of throwing out ideas unrelated to the original post, just mucking up the waters. It reminds me of tossing out little shreds of metallic material from a plane to fool the missals trying to destroy it.

Can a Christian, Jew, Catholic or Muslim be moral? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQAisoRHWWbHIF7SxTZ3iNCdAGXUT73JOzWQ-bsIbdXXK2vr9ogkg

It's missiles not missals. One's used to destroy the other is used in prayer... but then that's beside the point. The point is that all that I've thrown out for you to chew on like rabid dogs has only shown your true nature. Just as your new attempt to belittle and demean me only show how true that last sentence I wrote was honey pie...

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae829mFAGGE

Wink 

I will credit the misspelling on the auto-correct feature.

As far as any attempt at belittling and demeaning the prize goes to you! You are number one in the demeaning and belittling department, that's for sure. In addition to the honey pie crap you also add sexist graphics. Your posts are disgusting in this regard. If you have a point, make it, don't call names.

If you have a valid point it should stand on its own. If it is a weak point without merit calling people names is not a way of strengthening it. It only makes you look weaker.

I am hoping against hope that you will see the error of your ways and stop acting like a 15 year old boy. See if you have the intestinal fortitude to treat us all as if we were worthy opponents. Your attempts at debate are difficult enough to follow leaping as they do from pillar to post without the insulting language you feel obliged to throw in for good measure.

Last edited by othershoe1030 on 3/24/2014, 7:31 am; edited 1 time in total

othershoe1030 wrote:

I will credit the misspelling on the auto-correct feature.

As far as any attempt at belittling and demeaning the prize goes to you! You are number one in the demeaning and belittling category, that's for sure. In addition to the honey pie crap you also add sexist graphics. Your posts are disgusting in this regard. If you have a point, make it, don't call names.

You must change your MO or you are not going to hear any more comments from this poster. So sad I know but I am not here to receive abuse of this sort. I could call you dick head or fuck face or a sorry ass or any number of names but I have not, hoping against hope that you would see the error of your ways and stop acting like a 15 year old boy. See if you have the intestinal fortitude to treat us all as if we were worthy opponents or I for one will not entertain your continued disrespect and idiocy. Your attempts at debate are difficult enough to follow leaping as they do from pillar to post without the insulting language you feel obliged to throw in for good measure.

Can a Christian, Jew, Catholic or Muslim be moral? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQdgp2wn9y_GwZYHSYGHatOb6lLUClL9PNcG29rBdlVy6rfttHd

You forgot to add dull-witted and maybe even morally impaired darlin'... Let's not forget tough guys and boys.

But I can change my colorful terminology to things like stuck-up bitch or cuntless wonder if you like.

*****CHUCKLE*****

Very Happy

Last edited by Damaged Eagle on 3/24/2014, 1:53 am; edited 4 times in total

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Wordslinger wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:

Reality!

No rational person can deny that there are many moral perspectives and teachings in the Bible, Torah or Quran.  Nor can it be denied that the God portrayed in each is very much a sadist for whom, evidently few of the precious "ten commandments" apply.  

In response to your point about the Christian god giving his only son, etc, what kind of father would do that to his child?  Only a sick sonofabitch!

I suppose I could be convinced that a god existed or gods exist, etc.  But no one could convince me that that god figure deserved praise, love or worship.  

God is supposed to me omnipotent, right?  And clearly, the God of the major four religions appears opposed to evil.  Yet evil still exists.  Why?  Because God enjoys the show? Or because he's unable to put an end to it?

The thing is, it appears that for every good God does, he does a few bads just for the hell of it.  

For those reasons, I can't think of God as a good person.  

I read James Michener's "The Source". This retraces the founding of the Jewish people from before they were Jews, just various tribes wandering the desert. It was a good read. Anyway these tribal folks were not the most educated or enlightened people. What sorts of stories could they possibly come up with? In their minds God had many human characteristics, jealously, hatred, etc. This was the best they could do to interpret a notion of God. I wouldn't hold their limited human understanding against god, lol. But nonetheless we are sort of stuck with it at this point in the form of the Old Testament.
I personally wish I had been born into a Buddhist family and didn't have to consider this view of man and god. The way it is set up people just basically pick and choose which scriptures they want to follow and go with that. I will leave it up to the reader to fill in the blanks on that one!

If I were you OS I wouldn't debate w/ this guy. He's bizarre and way out there. He thinks it's ok to have sex w/ family members.Even his sister. I can't stomach that kind of thinking.It's way off my radar.

Dreamsglore wrote:If I were you OS I wouldn't debate w/ this guy. He's bizarre and way out there. He thinks it's ok to have sex w/ family members.Even his sister. I can't stomach that kind of thinking.It's way off my radar.

Can a Christian, Jew, Catholic or Muslim be moral? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcReM-SNRLerD93icjpQtVAaZPnL_jj4iMoLMEse_QmrR-RgkxHA

Bigot! You'll accept one alternate form of marriage between mature willing companions yet use your latent closet religious beliefs to deny those same rights to others. How morally inept you are.

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR4sm66SfsA

Smile

Last edited by Damaged Eagle on 3/24/2014, 2:31 am; edited 1 time in total

Markle

Markle

What our Heathen friends always desperately need to ignore is that if there is a God, and I believe there is, then there is also the devil. God doesn't always win.

Heathen's are like ships without rudders. With them there is no right or wrong, port or starboard only gray areas depending on how they feel at the moment. They just lean to port or starboard. Nothing is definite.

Frequently this is amusing, other times just sad and pathetic.

A man's ethical behaviour should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death.
(Albert Einstein, "Religion and Science", New York Times Magazine, 9 November 1930)

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Dreamsglore wrote:If I were you OS I wouldn't debate w/ this guy. He's bizarre and way out there. He thinks it's ok to have sex w/ family members.Even his sister. I can't stomach that kind of thinking.It's way off my radar.

Interesting. His personal choices aside, that in itself should not prevent him from communicating rationally but sadly for some reason he is unable to address specifically posted statements. Bizarre would cover it. Thanks.

othershoe1030 wrote:

Interesting. His personal choices aside, that in itself should not prevent him from communicating rationally but sadly for some reason he is unable to address specifically posted statements. Bizarre would cover it. Thanks.

Can a Christian, Jew, Catholic or Muslim be moral? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ80Xj3tiZauiKXBNye2FOSm3pWUobDX0KOpljsd_Lp5FudRN9y3A

Yeah a stuck up bitch like you would stick up for a bigoted cuntless wonder like her.

I've addressed all your statements bitch. You just haven't thought it through and I'm not going to help you.

*****CHUCKLE*****

Smile

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Dreamsglore wrote:A man's ethical behaviour should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death.
(Albert Einstein, "Religion and Science", New York Times Magazine, 9 November 1930)

I like this take on man's behavior, especially the part about having to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death. In a history of the Christian church the author mentioned how the sermons for the upper class didn't reference punishment for bad behavior. That type of sermon was focused on the peasants to keep them from rocking the social boat. It was quite transparent.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Dreams is right on this one, Shoe. Don't waste your breath on a psycho who exhibits classic symptoms of an abuser.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

On the subject at hand, before the discussion was so rudely interrupted...yes, a person affiliated with any of the above religions can be a moral person. Many are, but many are hiding their lack of spirituality behind a cloak of organized religion. I often refer to these people as pseudo-Christians. Every religion has its hypocrites.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

TEOTWAWKI wrote:Did god abort 58 MILLION children that no one in his right mind would say were not children ?  No you progressive Liberals did that...maybe God won't drown you all.

Plenty of people in their right minds do not consider fetus's to have the same rights as a born infant.

Obviously, you disagree.

The difference is, nobody who is pro-choice wants to force you or anyone to have an abortion -- but you and your contemporaries insist on the right to punish people who are pro-choice.

You guys scream about government being too intrusive, but you want the right to tell women what they can and can't do with their own bodies.

Reality.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Markle wrote:What our Heathen friends always desperately need to ignore is that if there is a God, and I believe there is, then there is also the devil.  God doesn't always win.

Heathen's are like ships without rudders.  With them there is no right or wrong, port or starboard only gray areas depending on how they feel at the moment.  They just lean to port or starboard.  Nothing is definite.

Frequently this is amusing, other times just sad and pathetic.

You arrogant pissant. You think your morality is better than everyone elses'. No wonder you're thought of as a jackass in these parts ... LOL

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum