Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

God and morality ... and the deep, deep south ..

+6
boards of FL
TEOTWAWKI
Markle
othershoe1030
knothead
Wordslinger
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 9]

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

This is for all of you who are sure one can't be moral without belief in god ..

http://www.alternet.org/belief/america-major-outlier-world-opinion-whether-you-can-be-moral-and-atheist-same-time?akid=11602.260394.CcRgt0&rd=1&src=newsletter971084&t=5

And the facts presented verify that on this issue, many of the southern states are sick puppies.

"In an earlier piece, I wrote that the primary reason for abject child poverty in these Southern states is that more than a third of children have parents who lack secure employment, decent wages and healthcare. But thanks to religion, these poor saps vote for the party that rejects Medicaid expansion, opposes early education expansion, legislates larger cuts to education, and slashes food stamps to make room for oil and agriculture subsidies on top of tax cuts and loopholes for corporations and the wealthy. Essentially, the Republican Party has convinced tens of millions of Southerners that a vote for a public display of the Ten Commandments is more important to a Christian’s needs than a vote against cuts in education spending, food stamp reductions, the elimination of school lunches and the abolition of healthcare programs."

This is great and so true but the ignorance marches on.

knothead

knothead

Dreamsglore wrote:"In an earlier piece, I wrote that the primary reason for abject child poverty in these Southern states is that more than a third of children have parents who lack secure employment, decent wages and healthcare. But thanks to religion, these poor saps vote for the party that rejects Medicaid expansion, opposes early education expansion, legislates larger cuts to education, and slashes food stamps to make room for oil and agriculture subsidies on top of tax cuts and loopholes for corporations and the wealthy. Essentially, the Republican Party has convinced tens of millions of Southerners that a vote for a public display of the Ten Commandments is more important to a Christian’s needs than a vote against cuts in education spending, food stamp reductions, the elimination of school lunches and the abolition of healthcare programs."

Defies logic . . . . the magic of some good politickin' . . . . good post.

why do you people worry so much and try so hard to go out of your way to dis Christians, call God fake and then at the same time defend islamist?

Wordslinger wrote:This is for all of you who are sure one can't be moral without belief in god ..

http://www.alternet.org/belief/america-major-outlier-world-opinion-whether-you-can-be-moral-and-atheist-same-time?akid=11602.260394.CcRgt0&rd=1&src=newsletter971084&t=5

And the facts presented verify that on this issue, many of the southern states are sick puppies.

I think the article went a bit off track and really was an attack on the South and it's poor with a swipe at Republicans  BUT  I do feel someone can be moral and not have religious affiliation - if that is the question at hand.  Still a debate over self vs spiritual entity.  Probably will never reach a solid conclusion but a good debate.

The conclusion renders this thread political.

Dreamsglore wrote:"In an earlier piece, I wrote that the primary reason for abject child poverty in these Southern states is that more than a third of children have parents who lack secure employment, decent wages and healthcare. But thanks to religion, these poor saps vote for the party that rejects Medicaid expansion, opposes early education expansion, legislates larger cuts to education, and slashes food stamps to make room for oil and agriculture subsidies on top of tax cuts and loopholes for corporations and the wealthy. Essentially, the Republican Party has convinced tens of millions of Southerners that a vote for a public display of the Ten Commandments is more important to a Christian’s needs than a vote against cuts in education spending, food stamp reductions, the elimination of school lunches and the abolition of healthcare programs."

Last I saw on voter demographics was that poor almost always voted for the (D). Yep, true,

Dot wrote:why do you people worry so much and try so hard to go out of your way to dis Christians, call God fake and then at the same time defend islamist?

Because you people w/ your faux religious beliefs have hurt millions of people in this country. You fixate on the percentages of a few and rape the whole country all the while lining your own pockets. You don't want govt. interfering in your lives unless it is your agenda like abortion and contraceptives. You scream religious freedom for all unless it is a religion you don't like. Yes, it is political because you have made your religion and beliefs the crux of it.

Dreamsglore wrote:
Dot wrote:why do you people worry so much and try so hard to go out of your way to dis Christians, call God fake and then at the same time defend islamist?

Because you people w/ your faux religious beliefs have hurt millions of people in this country. You fixate on the percentages of a few and rape the whole country all the while lining your own pockets. You don't want govt. interfering in your lives unless it is your agenda like abortion and contraceptives. You scream religious freedom for all unless it is a religion you don't like. Yes, it is political because you have made your religion and beliefs the crux of it.

Hurt millions? Link please. Lining pockets? Show me where mine are lined....I need to pay some bills. You're so silly today.

Dreamsglore wrote:

God and morality ... and the deep, deep south .. Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcShQ9BLvo2Aee1l_OcjGGJ79kM5iBqBSJ_IZalmDPNT67jRFuZ0

Explain to us how your great non-religious morality which uses the point of a government sword to force everyone to participate in your every whim is any better than a religion which voices it's dislike of the moral decisions that you decide to force upon them.

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-R8gHj_7v8

Smile

Dreamsglore wrote:

I'm the least of the herd but will say, chiristian organizations help more people around the world with their charity and compassion than all governments around the world put together.

And you didn't answer my question. Why?

I answered the question and you know little about Christian organizations and how much they actually help.To say they help more than the govt. is an extreme lack of knowledge on your part. BTW, I don't defend Islamics. I defend their right to be Islamic.

Dreamsglore wrote:I answered the question and you know little about Christian organizations and how much they actually help.To say they help more than the govt. is an extreme lack of knowledge on your part. BTW, I don't defend Islamics. I defend their right to be Islamic.

You didn't answer the question, but you just did.

You defend their right to be Islamic but you don't defend Christians the right to be Christian. go figure.

You have cognitive problems w/ comprehension and reading. That is a given,however, there is a huge difference between having your beliefs and pushing them on other people. Christians have a right to be Christians but they don't have a right to push them on other people. This is very elementary. Do you understand this?

Dreamsglore wrote:You have cognitive problems w/ comprehension and reading. That is a given,however, there is a huge difference between having your beliefs and pushing them on other people. Christians have a right to be Christians but they don't have a right to push them on other people. This is very elementary. Do you understand this?

oh boo hoo, more demeaning insults from dreams.  Sad 

yet, she defends the rights of islamist and not Christians because only Christians push their beliefs off on people, and I have a comprehension problem LOL

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Wordslinger wrote:This is for all of you who are sure one can't be moral without belief in god ..

To me it is totally absurd to think a person has to have a belief in some higher being in order to be a moral person. To think this it must be necessary for people to be unable to cultivate a conscience without some giant organized spiritual model. Isn't it possible to just accept parental teachings along the lines of being nice and kind, helpful and so on without a deity to instruct them?

http://www.atheistmemebase.com/2013/06/24/no-atheists-in-the-kkk/

We are not absolutely sure what those democrats believed in

othershoe1030 wrote:

To me it is totally absurd to think a person has to have a belief in some higher being in order to be a moral person. To think this it must be necessary for people to be unable to cultivate a conscience without some giant organized spiritual model. Isn't it possible to just accept parental teachings along the lines of being nice and kind, helpful and so on without a deity to instruct them?

God and morality ... and the deep, deep south .. Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTEh6iuQchLWnDevFKMcferpk-m7VFeYVWO5-V0L5LiqgVXD3-aug

Yet in turn the atheists worship the all powerful god of governmental control to force their morality on anyone who disagrees with them and have everyone pay the tithe at the point of a governmental sword for any special morality problem they come up with.

Tell us how your all powerful governmental god is better than a spiritual god?

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO62scTZ7Qk

Smile

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Damaged Eagle wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:

God and morality ... and the deep, deep south .. Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTEh6iuQchLWnDevFKMcferpk-m7VFeYVWO5-V0L5LiqgVXD3-aug

Yet in turn the atheists worship the all powerful god of governmental control to force their morality on anyone who disagrees with them and have everyone pay the tithe at the point of a governmental sword for any special morality problem they come up with.

*****CHUCKLE*****

Smile

I swear posting on this forum is like shouting down a damn rabbit hole. Stop reading things that are not there! Nowhere in my last post did I even mention the word government nor worship thereof. All I said was that people are able to come up with codes of conduct on their own without having to follow the rules of some religion.  

othershoe1030 wrote:
Damaged Eagle wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:

*****CHUCKLE*****

Smile

I swear posting on this forum is like shouting down a damn rabbit hole. Stop reading things that are not there! Nowhere in my last post did I even mention the word government nor worship thereof. All I said was that people are able to come up with codes of conduct on their own without having to follow the rules of some religion.  

that's kind of simplistic to say that. since man has had deity's to worship so many thousands of years, those ideals were integrated into society. Hence things your parents taught you.

However, I will give to a certain point that so what. atheist can do the right things, most of us are taught what the right things are. and we all have a conscience. < I think a conscience is God given> but whatever, we don't even have to go there. so what? atheist can be good citizens.

whats the point? Ill tell you what I think the point is. its to demoralize Christians for having faith in a creator. Now ask yourself, is that the right thing to do? To demoralize a group of people who are not harming you who have faith in something just because you don't? How moral of you to try to take away such a valuable belief from these people. Does it make y'all feel superior? How moral is that?

othershoe1030 wrote:
Damaged Eagle wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:

*****CHUCKLE*****

Smile

God and morality ... and the deep, deep south .. Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTA4rAforjFt8EZU6wbYTRS6QCHCFbkWca6O8ltCCLLHt8cJx3V

People are free to choose what code of conduct, morality, and ethics, they wish to. It says so right here...

http://www.usconstitution.net/xconst_Am1.html

1st Amendment

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

So go ahead and scream yourself blue in the face if you think that'll help... I doubt it will though.

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtzIWPeun7c

Very Happy 

Dot wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:You have cognitive problems w/ comprehension and reading. That is a given,however, there is a huge difference between having your beliefs and pushing them on other people. Christians have a right to be Christians but they don't have a right to push them on other people. This is very elementary. Do you understand this?

yet, she defends the rights of islamist and not Christians because only Christians push their beliefs off on people, and I have a comprehension problem LOL

I haven't defended any rights of Islamics, harebrain. I defend their right to believe in their religion just like you have your right. The difference is they don't have their cronies in congress pushing for Islamic law like the Christians push for their biblical beliefs.

Dreamsglore wrote:
Dot wrote:

I haven't defended any rights of Islamics, harebrain. I defend their right to believe in their religion just like you have your right. The difference is they don't have their cronies in congress pushing for Islamic law like the Christians push for their biblical beliefs.

12 Re: God and morality ... and the deep, deep south .. Today at 16:34

Dreamsglore

I answered the question and you know little about Christian organizations and how much they actually help.To say they help more than the govt. is an extreme lack of knowledge on your part. BTW, I don't defend Islamics. I defend their right to be Islamic.

I have news for you, they do have their cronies all up in our Gov pushing for Islamic law.

I think you are so confused between politics and Christians that when someone says Christian you hear republican LOL and when you hear republican you think Christian. That's how narrow minded you are. Everything in the world has to do with politics. You are so brainwashed you are lost.

Why don't you try and be fair. Defend the right of Christians to be Christians. You wouldn't deny Christians the same decency you would give the islamist would you? Although its obvious you prefer islam over Christianity.  Neutral 

Freak

Dot wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:
Damaged Eagle wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:

*****CHUCKLE*****

Smile

that's kind of simplistic to say that. since man has had deity's to worship so many thousands of years, those ideals were integrated into society. Hence things your parents taught you.

However, I will give to a certain point that so what. atheist can do the right things, most of us are taught what the right things are. and we all have a conscience. < I think a conscience is God given> but whatever, we don't even have to go there. so what? atheist can be good citizens.

whats the point? Ill tell you what I think the point is. its to demoralize Christians for having faith in a creator. Now ask yourself, is that the right thing to do? To demoralize a group of people who are not harming you who have faith in something just because you don't? How moral of you to try to take away such a valuable belief from these people. Does it make y'all feel superior? How moral is that?

Yes, let's not go there about the God given conscience. You'll be blown out of the water. I don't see where anyone has demoralized a group of people for having faith. That's not the issue. You can worship qumkuats for all I care. The issue is projecting those beliefs on to everyone. The republican Christians want to lead this country based on their christian beliefs. It is extremely prevalent in the south. Where you get someone is trying to take away your "valuable belief" is beyond me? The question is why do think everyone should believe what you believe absurd as those beliefs are?

Dreamsglore wrote:
Dot wrote:

God and morality ... and the deep, deep south .. Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ-8QRJdTOlLoR4BWlEwsq_YyloUFRYJuSNQy6_JOV6JzOov6S8lQ

On the hand you push your own morality down everyone's throats and then demand tithes, with one of the biggest ones still being integrated, enforced by the point of a governmental sword from all people to sooth your perceived moral imperatives.

What makes your moral imperatives any better than the Christian, Islamic, Hindu, etc... moral imperatives?

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSXTu-WllZ8

Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 9]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum