Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

How to make arrangements for cremation

+6
ZVUGKTUBM
knothead
RottiesRule
Yella
no stress
2seaoat
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

2seaoat

I am going to make final arrangements Monday and prepay my cremation charges. Pretty interesting dynamics in making final arrangements. This is actually fun, because I can be as cheap as Bob spending the night in a Hotel Parking lot and showering at the local Truck Stop.

The first advantage I have is that I will execute the very necessary paperwork of who will get possession of my body after death. Many smaller counties like the one I now live in have funeral home directors as the coroner. Now if you are going to die at home this can be a real problem because the coroner will take possession of the body and will prepare the death certificate. If I am at the Hospital or Hospice, this is not a problem because they can issue the death certificate and my wife will have the executed cremation papers which are called the authorization for cremation and disposition. Those papers will allow the hospital to store the body until the cremation company comes to pick up the same.

Now even in a simple cremation there are all kinds of up charges which should be discussed before making your choice. First, many people are not aware that the body should be transported in a cremation box. This becomes important because many cremation plans up charge a transport box. Simple solution. Order your box ahead of time and keep it in or near your location of last illness. So If you are in the hospital, have the next of kin agent give the staff your authorization for cremation and disposition form and then ask if they could put the dead guy in the box for pick up. This will save $200 and Bob would be proud. Now none of us know where we will die so we never can pin down transport costs, but typically it is about $2.50 a mile, so factor in where your medical treatment is, where you have chosen hospice, and where you live before choosing a company which might gouge on transport. Some have a flat fee within a geographic area.

Transport timing and storage are very important, and there can be an upcharge for both refridgerator storage or embalming. This becomes critical in a small county where the Coroner will try to embalm or claim they do not have the storage......most counties have the storage while waiting for transport and it is important to have your spouse not allow the embalming and demand timely transport to the freezer.

People get very uncomfortable talking about these things in the grips of grief and it helps if each person can take the guilt off survivors and make this as smooth and efficient as it can be. I would much rather have my wife take a Hawaii vacation with her new boyfriend, than waste resources on grief.

I am doing much better health wise from three weeks ago, but I want to make these decisions now so I can take the burden off my family, and we are beginning to work on two power point presentations for the memorial, and I am insisting that the table with my Urn be tilted with books under two of the tables legs......my daughter is aghast....but she will understand that a smile and a celebration of life does not end in death.

no stress

no stress

Something that you might want to ponder oats is donating some of your organs /tissue for medical benefit.   When my dad passed a few years back he insisted in this before cremation.   In death he was as much a giver as in life. Be careful to tell your wife to tell them how much tissue is allowed to be harvested, if not they wont leave much to cremate. We had to be specific with this.

2seaoat

Gunz,
I agree that each person should elect donor provisions, however Endocrine Cancer is a nasty systemic cancer and I would not be eligible for donation of my organs. However, I am so glad you brought that up because families need to discuss these things now, and an organ donation is essential to save other lives. Now if I could transplant my big head...... No No No 

no stress

no stress

2seaoat wrote:Gunz,
I agree that each person should elect donor provisions, however Endocrine Cancer is a nasty systemic cancer and I would not be eligible for donation of my organs.  However, I am so glad you brought that up because families need to discuss these things now, and an organ donation is essential to save other lives.  Now if I could transplant my big head...... No No No 
You know Oats, we don't see eye to eye on some things but I still admire you. You will be missed when you decide to go. remember that.

Yella

Yella

2seaoat wrote:I am going to make final arrangements Monday and prepay my cremation charges.   Pretty interesting dynamics in making final arrangements.  This is actually fun, because I can be as cheap as Bob spending the night in a Hotel Parking lot and showering at the local Truck Stop.

The first advantage I have is that I will execute the very necessary paperwork of who will get possession of my body after death.   Many smaller counties like the one I now live in have funeral home directors as the coroner.  Now if you are going to die at home this can be a real problem because the coroner will take possession of the body and will prepare the death certificate.  If I am at the Hospital or Hospice, this is not a problem because they can issue the death certificate and my wife will have the executed cremation papers which are called the authorization for cremation and disposition.  Those papers will allow the hospital to store the body until the cremation company comes to pick up the same.

Now even in a simple cremation there are all kinds of up charges which should be discussed before making your choice.   First, many people are not aware that the body should be transported in a cremation box.   This becomes important because many cremation plans up charge a transport box.  Simple solution.  Order your box ahead of time and keep it in or near your location of last illness.  So If you are in the hospital, have the next of kin agent give the staff your authorization for cremation and disposition form and then ask if they could put the dead guy in the box for pick up.   This will save $200 and Bob would be proud.  Now none of us know where we will die so we never can pin down transport costs, but typically it is about $2.50 a mile, so factor in where your medical treatment is, where you have chosen hospice, and where you live before choosing a company which might gouge on transport.  Some have a flat fee within a geographic area.

Transport timing and storage are very important, and there can be an upcharge for both refridgerator storage or embalming.   This becomes critical in a small county where the Coroner will try to embalm or claim they do not have the storage......most counties have the storage while waiting for transport and it is important to have your spouse not allow the embalming and demand timely transport to the freezer.

People get very uncomfortable talking about these things in the grips of grief and it helps if each person can take the guilt off survivors and make this as smooth and efficient as it can be.  I would much rather have my wife take a Hawaii vacation with her new boyfriend, than waste resources on grief.

I am doing much better health wise from three weeks ago, but I want to make these decisions now so I can take the burden off my family, and we are beginning to work on two power point presentations for the memorial, and I am insisting that the table with my Urn be tilted with books under two of the tables legs......my daughter is aghast....but she will understand that a smile and a celebration of life does not end in death.

Somewhere in the TaoTeChung is a quote that goes, "Birth and death are the same and heaven is the journey between. "I like that and even though no one knows for sure this pleases me. I think death is a transition to a different plane of existence.

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

RottiesRule

Good information S.O. Thanks.
I plan to be cremated after organ and tissue harvest, but haven't made any arrangements other than stating it in Will/Living Will. It is a good reminder to not put off something that will make the situation easier for those left behind.

2seaoat

I think with civilization and specialization we become distanced from death. In the animal world it is an experience each young animal learns early on in life. As modern humans we compartmentalize the same, and in the process I think we do a disservice. Birth and death are two powerful events, yet in birth we fought the compartmentalization which came with modernity as young mothers revolted and demanded they share and celebrate birth. I think with time we will see the wisdom of other cultures not as modern as ours and how they deal with death.

For me it is more of an intellectual exercise when I see families spending 10k to shield the process. I will be the first in my family to be cremated, and I thought about that long and hard, but twenty years ago my wife in a very pragmatic approach to death insisted that I make sure if she goes first that she will be cremated. I saw the titanic last week, and after the woman dies and returns to the titanic as a young person, you begin to wonder about the vessel which houses our spirit.....will it be some static point of selection, or will there be no such thing as the vessel. This song made me also think about the same.

knothead

knothead

Mr. Oats, you know I am an admirer of your many abilities but even more your relentless determination to stay on course which has been and continues to be a source of strength to me. I hope so much, for selfish reasons, that the end is much farther out than is implied in this discussion. You are most certainly a good person, an interesting person, a fair person and when your time comes it will be an extremely sad day for me. But, that said, we are all on a journey and we will all meet our maker . . . you have the advantage of seeing the headlights in the tunnel and the train is closing . . . . I hope it is painless and simply drift away but you will be missed when that time comes.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Now listen up, Seoat. Those shysters at the funeral home are going to try and "up-sell" you on stuff you won't really need. They tried to do this when my mom died back in 1996. They took my Dad and my Sister upstairs and tried to talk them into buying a "cremation casket." This is an ornate and fancy container that they then burn your loved one in. These things were several hundred dollars apiece, too. My sister became concerned that the ashes would contain mostly wood ashes and my mom's remains would be diluted by those. They complained to the guy who was helping them and asked them if there was an alternative container in which my mother could be burned. That is when he brought up the cardboard box, which was only $29.95, instead of hundreds of dollars. We went with the box. When my Dad passed away in late, 2012, we knew exactly what he was going to be cremated in.

Cremation really makes for no-hassel final arrangements. My  wife's father died up in New York in August of 2012. He didn't have a lot and had no family plot up there, and nobody really knew what to do with his ashes. About 3 months after he died, my wife had his ashes shipped down here, and because he was a WWII Army vet, he was interred at Barrancas Cemetery here in Pensacola.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

knothead wrote:Mr. Oats, you know I am an admirer of your many abilities but even more your relentless determination to stay on course which has been and continues to be a source of strength to me.  I hope so much, for selfish reasons, that the end is much farther out than is implied in this discussion.  You are most certainly a good person, an interesting person, a fair person and when your time comes it will be an extremely sad day for me.  But, that said, we are all on a journey and we will all meet our maker . . . you have the advantage of seeing the headlights in the tunnel and the train is closing . . . .   I hope it is painless and simply drift away but you will be missed when that time comes.

cheers cheers cheers

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Good Post. My wife had a pre paid plan and everything went very well when she passed on. It was a relief to have one less thing to deal with.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Oats: Thank you for the advice. My thoughts are with you.

I hope You find Peace and forgiveness with the Lord.

If you're heart feel troubled by my words, you still have time to repent.

You will return to your father only through repentance

How to make arrangements for cremation Jesus10

May God be with you.

knothead

knothead

Dot wrote:I hope You find Peace and forgiveness with the Lord.

May God be with you.

Why would Mr. Oats be troubled by your words? Your post is over stepping in an area that you or I have no admittance . . . . come down from from your pedestal please . . .

2seaoat

Well like everything else, I called the least expensive service first at 10am this morning and they said they would get back to me........It is now 6pm and Tuesday I will review the second place on my list. They sound like they are swamped as people are making different choices in these economic times than the traditional funeral arrangements. Independent of the financial considerations, cremation is a simple alternative which takes much guilt away from the survivors who in attempting to honor the recently deceased often let emotion cloud common sense.

Markle

Markle

It's simple.

My mother wanted to be cremated. She had breast cancer.

I walked into a funeral home which specialized in cremations. I told them what I wanted, they filled out some forms, I signed the forms, wrote them a check and they took care of everything else.

2seaoat seems to enjoy making things complicated.

knothead wrote:

May God be with you.

Why would Mr. Oats be troubled by your words? Your post is over stepping in an area that you or I have no admittance . . . . come down from from your pedestal please . . .

im not on a pedestal. I whole heartedly believe a person about to exit life should be at peace with themselves. My mommy taught me that.  Smile 

knothead

knothead

Dot wrote:
knothead wrote:

May God be with you.

im not on a pedestal. I whole heartedly believe a person about to exit life should be at peace with themselves.  My mommy taught me that.  Smile 

Then we're good as your Mother taught you well, however, the 'time to repent' sounded like proselytizing and, if so, inappropriate . . . Mr. Oats is well versed and will make his own decisions in a coherent fashion . . . . . . just saying.

2seaoat

2seaoat seems to enjoy making things complicated.

Why would I use a funeral home? If you do not mind disclosing what you paid for that service, I would be interested in a price comparison with independent cremation societies which do the cremation independent of the funeral home. I have already chose an alternative place for a visitation and a memorial service than a funeral home, and I think the total cost will be about $1,800 which includes rental of the hall, snacks and drinks(no alcohol because it is a government building) and my ashes are going to spread at camp FEMA in the dead of night.

I think for this same service with any of the other funeral homes, it will be $6,500.00. You chose the more expensive route because of your love and respect for your mother. I am choosing the least expensive route because I am bothered by the waste in the process and the guilt or shame loved ones have if they do not do certain things according to traditions. This is my choice. It is hardly complicated once I sign the direction and agree on price. Three of the last five funerals I attended were cremations. I honestly can say that the first 40 years of my life I did not attend a funeral or memorial where the decedent was cremated. I think people are more concerned about the living.

dumpcare

2seaoat wrote:2seaoat seems to enjoy making things complicated.

Why would I use a funeral home?   If you do not mind disclosing what you paid for that service, I would be interested in a price comparison with independent cremation societies which do the cremation independent of the funeral home.  I have already chose an alternative place for a visitation and a memorial service than a funeral home, and I think the total cost will be about $1,800 which includes rental of the hall, snacks and drinks(no alcohol because it is a government building) and my ashes are going to spread at camp FEMA in the dead of night.

I think for this same service with any of the other funeral homes, it will be $6,500.00.   You chose the more expensive route because of your love and respect for your mother.  I am choosing the least expensive route because I am bothered by the waste in the process and the guilt or shame loved ones have if they do not do certain things according to traditions.  This is my choice.   It is hardly complicated once I sign the direction and agree on price.  Three of the last five funerals I attended were cremations.  I honestly can say that the first 40 years of my life I did not attend a funeral or memorial where the decedent was cremated.  I think people are more concerned about the living.

Here in Pensacola at one funeral home the cremation was $1200 3 years ago nothing afterwards and ashes in a box to ship.

I think that I've decided what I want to be after I'm cremated. I decided against the garden gnome... well because that's just creepy. And the ball painted like a soccer ball was just mean. I'm now leaning towards a few fish structures. One in the gulf, one in the sound, and one at my lake house. They break down over time... but it'd be cool to be a good fishing spot for my friends and family.

Markle

Markle

knothead wrote:
Dot wrote:
knothead wrote:

May God be with you.

im not on a pedestal. I whole heartedly believe a person about to exit life should be at peace with themselves.  My mommy taught me that.  Smile 

Then we're good as your Mother taught you well, however, the 'time to repent' sounded like proselytizing and, if so, inappropriate . . . Mr. Oats is well versed and will make his own decisions in a coherent fashion . . . . . . just saying.

I didn't see it as proselytizing as much as leaving a door open.

In 2004 one of the most famous atheists in the world changed his mind and even wrote a book about his conversion. That would be Anthony Flew who died in 2010.

In the past year or so there was another well known atheist who also changed his mind but I can't recall his name.

2seaoat

Here in Pensacola at one funeral home the cremation was $1200 3 years ago nothing afterwards and ashes in a box to ship.

That is what I am consistently finding as the price for cremations in Illinois. I figure $1,300 with urn and burn/travel box, unless I am mountain climbing in Himalayas and die while having sex with my specially picked 19 year old Sherpas. $100 for hall rental, and $400 food and drink after the memorial service. The church where the daughter got married has just had a minister change, and I have another lay person who will speak at the memorial. All my minister friends are deeply bothered by my choices and one had us over for breakfast recently to talk about my choices, which I simply answer Matthew 6, and I think he gets it, and finally acknowledged that the protestant reformation was based on the same and there is no exclusive telephone line to be used to communicate with the head honcho, or a scanner room where only Scotty will beam you up.....or in my case down.

knothead

knothead

Markle wrote:
knothead wrote:
Dot wrote:
knothead wrote:

May God be with you.

I didn't see it as proselytizing as much as leaving a door open.

In 2004 one of the most famous atheists in the world changed his mind and even wrote a book about his conversion.  That would be Anthony Flew who died in 2010.

In the past year or so there was another well known atheist who also changed his mind but I can't recall his name.

Perhaps, it is nevertheless, none of our business as that is a personal decision.

knothead wrote:
Dot wrote:
knothead wrote:

May God be with you.

I think only mr oat can speak for himself if didn't he didn't appreciate the reminder that one need to also make arrangement for the soul. I have jut as much right to mention it as you do to scorn me for it. perhaps I saw it as a obligation.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum