Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

To Everyone on this Forum: Warning!~ Sago Palm Seeds/Leaves Deadly to Dogs

+7
QueenOfHearts
Sal
knothead
Hospital Bob
RottiesRule
2seaoat
Wordslinger
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

My wife and I spent a rough night, plus close to $1,000 at a Veterinary Emergency Clinic, because our two Labs ingested Sago Palm seeds.

Remember the freeze last week? I trimmed off all the yellow leaves from the five big sago palms in our front yard last weekend and found one was full of seeds, which I harvested. The seeds are reddish brown, smooth hulled, and shaped like a Hazel Nut the size of a small hard-boiled egg. I've never seen them before, and since the plants are pretty, I put the seeds in an open plastic can on a stool in our garage.

Yesterday around 11:00 a.m. we noticed one of our labs upchucking on the back lawn, and two other piles were a few feet away. We ended up searching for what had been eaten, and found the Sago Palm seed container overturned on the floor. All the seeds were gone. It made sense the dogs had eaten the seeds and that's what had sickened them. What I didn't know, was just how serious the situation was.

When they wouldn't touch their dinner we went to the computer and discovered that Sago Palm seeds and leaves are extremely toxic and deadly to dogs -- there is about a 50% death rate to canines after ingestion.
The worst damage from the toxin causes the liver to fail. Our dogs are okay this a.m. and at our regular vet for meds and tests today. We're told if they make it past the first 48 hours without showing liver damage, we're most likely in the clear. Costwise, we're already past $1500.00.

Remember my fellow dog lovers, one seed is enough to kill, and if your dog chews any of the Sago Palm's leaves, it could be serious.

We'll know how our two lovin' labs are by 10 a.m. tomorrow.

Keep your fingers crossed for us, huh?

Reality.

2seaoat

I am very sorry to hear this news. We lost our Shepard lf 10 years last year with liver failure, and she was a member of our family. Thanks for the warning.

Hope they're ok, Wordslinger. Thanks for the info.

Someone feed them
More

RottiesRule

Thanks for the heads up. I really hope they make it.

RottiesRule

PACEDOG#1 wrote:Someone feed them
More

You can really be an asshole sometimes.
What did his dogs ever do to you?
Jerk.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

More

If you're representative of the military and schoolteachers then it's getting easier for me to understand why this country is so fucked up.

knothead

knothead

Bob wrote:
More

If you're representative of the military and schoolteachers then it's getting easier for me to understand why this country is so fucked up.

I'm shocked he didn't say they needed a 'dirt' nap a phrase he seems to like!!!

Slinger, hope your dogs survive this ordeal . . . our dogs are like family so I understand.

Sal

Sal

Sorry to hear about your friends, Slinger.

Here's hoping they make a quick and full recovery.

Slightly off topic, I've been introduced to a really effective remedy for our canine friends when they have bad stomachs/explosive diarrhea.

Canned pumpkin.

Works like a charm, and the dogs LOVE it.

My mutt got up on the counter and ate a whole frozen loaf of garlic bread.

His stomach was making sounds like whale mating calls.

One can of pumpkin, and no problemo.

knothead

knothead

Pumpkin huh, learned something new then . . . following Sal's antidote story for dogs: I was babysitting my brother in laws weenier dog and she followed me to my out building where I was replacing hooks on some crank baits. I heard her making a noise kinda like crinkling paper but anyway I turned around and she had eaten an entire tray of mouse poison (green pellets). OMG, anyway I learned through this episode to use hydrogen peroxide about 3 TBS and that did the trick . . . . didn't taste as good as pumpkin I suppose but she survived!

QueenOfHearts

QueenOfHearts

knothead wrote:Pumpkin huh, learned something new then . . . following Sal's antidote story for dogs: I was babysitting my brother in laws weenier dog and she followed me to my out building where I was replacing hooks on some crank baits.  I heard her making a noise kinda like crinkling paper  but anyway I turned around and she had eaten an entire tray of mouse poison (green pellets).  OMG, anyway I learned through this episode to use hydrogen peroxide about 3 TBS and that did the trick . . . . didn't taste as good as pumpkin I suppose but she survived!  

I have had to use the hydrogen peroxide trick a couple of times due to my dogs eating chocolate! It took a while for me to realize that one of my dogs was part mountain goat and could find chocolate no matter how high I put it.

Wordslinger: I hope your dogs will make it through without permanent harm. For a lot of dog owners, it isn't any different than if your children were gravely ill. Poor babies.  Sad 

Sal

Sal

I had a husky that I swear was part billy goat. 

He would eat almost anything including the gravel from the driveway. 

One night I awoke to the sound of him hacking. 

I turned the light on just in time to see him vomit up a big black phlegm covered mass. 

I swear I thought he was puking up an internal organ. 

It turned out to be a rolled up pair of black socks. 

True story. 

knothead

knothead

Sal wrote:I had a husky that I swear was part billy goat. 

He would eat almost anything including the gravel from the driveway. 

One night I awoke to the sound of him hacking. 

I turned the light on just in time to see him vomit up a big black phlegm covered mass. 

I swear I thought he was puking up an internal organ. 

It turned out to be a rolled up pair of black socks. 

True story. 

That's funny . . . . my golden would get into my neighbors garbage can, pull out baby diapers for God's sakes, then tear them into tiny pieces . . . he would have white crap on his mouth when I caught him in the act . . . . . a true shit eater!

Yella

Yella

Wordslinger wrote:My wife and I spent a rough night, plus close to $1,000 at a Veterinary Emergency Clinic, because our two Labs ingested Sago Palm seeds.

Remember the freeze last week?  I trimmed off all the yellow leaves from the five big sago palms in our front yard last weekend and found one was full of seeds, which I harvested.  The seeds are reddish brown, smooth hulled, and shaped like a Hazel Nut the size of a small hard-boiled egg.  I've never seen them before, and since the plants are pretty, I put the seeds in an open plastic can on a stool in our garage.

Yesterday around 11:00 a.m. we noticed one of our labs upchucking on the back lawn, and two other piles were a few feet away.  We ended up searching for what had been eaten, and found the Sago Palm seed container overturned on the floor.  All the seeds were gone.  It made sense the dogs had eaten the seeds and that's what had sickened them.  What I didn't know, was just how serious the situation was.

When they wouldn't touch their dinner we went to the computer and discovered that Sago Palm seeds and leaves are extremely toxic and deadly to dogs -- there is about a 50% death rate to canines after ingestion.
The worst damage from the toxin causes the liver to fail.  Our dogs are okay this a.m. and at our regular vet for meds and tests today.  We're told if they make it past the first 48 hours without showing liver damage, we're most likely in the clear.  Costwise, we're already past $1500.00.  

Remember my fellow dog lovers, one seed is enough to kill, and if your dog chews any of the Sago Palm's leaves, it could be serious.

We'll know how our two lovin' labs are by 10 a.m. tomorrow.

Keep your fingers crossed for us,  huh?

Reality.

Sorry, Man I hope all turns out well. I got a Lab that would eat the ass out of buzzard. But I love him.

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

RottiesRule wrote:
More

You can really be an asshole sometimes.
What did his dogs ever do to you?
Jerk.

Someone needs to run-over his favorite dog.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Pacedog . . .

I don't believe in God(s) . . . but I do believe that what goes around comes around.

However, your shallow callowness makes it abundantly clear to everyone in this forum that Wordslinger has burned your ego so many times you even hate his dogs!

I can't believe you're really in our military ... a wimp like you?

Crikey, no wonder we haven't won a war since WWII!

Someone send some Kleenex to this little boy . . .

QueenOfHearts

QueenOfHearts

Wordslinger wrote:Pacedog  . . .

I don't believe in God(s) . . . but I do believe that what goes around comes around.

However, your shallow callowness makes it abundantly clear to everyone in this forum that Wordslinger has burned your ego so many times you even hate his dogs!

Someone send some Kleenex to this  little boy . . .

How are your dogs doing this morning? Are they in the clear?

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

QueenOfHearts wrote:
Wordslinger wrote:Pacedog  . . .

Someone send some Kleenex to this  little boy . . .

How are your dogs doing this morning?  Are they in the clear?

Thanks for asking! So far so good. We brought them home from the vet last night and their blood tests indicated their livers were still functioning in the normal range. There will be more tests Monday a.m., and their results will vital -- if their livers are still in the normal range we're going to pull through this mess okay. If not, we will have to face some serious decisions. I'll surely let the Forum know.

I'll tell you what. having dogs is not for wussies. I just got back from taking my dobie to the vet for her 3 yr. shots. She does not like car rides besides thunderstorms. She shook the whole way panting and drooling all over my console trying to get under my arm w/ me fighting her all the way so she wouldn't get on top of me and cause a crash. When we got to the Vets she wouldn't go in and I had to drag her in. Then when they came to get us she laid flat on all fours again and the tech had to pick her up and carry her. Then I stopped at Publix to pick up a prescription and when I came back she had pissed all over the backseat. I just gone done shampooing the inside of my car from piss and drool. One side of me was soaking wet from the drool. All for 30 seconds at the Vets. Good grief!

knothead

knothead

Dreamsglore wrote:I'll tell you what. having dogs is not for wussies. I just got back from taking my dobie to the vet for her 3 yr. shots. She does not like car rides besides thunderstorms. She shook the whole way panting and drooling all over my console trying to get under my arm w/ me fighting her all the way so she wouldn't get on top of me and cause a crash. When we got to the Vets she wouldn't go in and I had to drag her in. Then when they came to get us she laid flat on all fours again and the tech had to pick her up and carry her. Then I stopped at Publix to pick up a prescription and when I came back she had pissed all over the backseat. I just gone done shampooing the inside of my car from piss and drool. One side of me was soaking wet from the drool. All for 30 seconds at the Vets. Good grief!

Dreams, sounds like you had a day from hell dealing with your dog/child . . .
I can relate from my own past experiences. Hang tough . .

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Dreamsglore wrote:I'll tell you what. having dogs is not for wussies. I just got back from taking my dobie to the vet for her 3 yr. shots. She does not like car rides besides thunderstorms. She shook the whole way panting and drooling all over my console trying to get under my arm w/ me fighting her all the way so she wouldn't get on top of me and cause a crash. When we got to the Vets she wouldn't go in and I had to drag her in. Then when they came to get us she laid flat on all fours again and the tech had to pick her up and carry her. Then I stopped at Publix to pick up a prescription and when I came back she had pissed all over the backseat. I just gone done shampooing the inside of my car from piss and drool. One side of me was soaking wet from the drool. All for 30 seconds at the Vets. Good grief!

I had a Doberman that would lay flat in the Vets office. I would call ahead to make sure they had a room open and take him straight in. Once he was down he wasn't getting up. He was ok in the van as long as he could sit up front with his head on my arm.

To get him out all they had to do was open the exam door and he pulled me to the van.

Dreams, I suggest an Rx for Valium.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Dear Dreams: What's wrong is your dog's impression of riding in a car -- she thinks it's always bad. You can easily change that. Here's how: I assume she likes to eat ... right? I also assume you feed her around the same time each day, right? Well, for the next seven days, put her in the car and drive around the block just before mealtime. In a few days she'll be looking forward to going for a ride. After seven days, her attitude will be positive towards riding in the car. The next challenge will be to get her to remain in one place in the car for the whole ride. But that's a different technique. Do #1 first and let me know how it went. Best of luck.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Ya'll make life so good for me.
I have three dogs, Dottie (a dixiepoo from heaven), Layla (an amazing bulldog which changed my attitude about all dogs), and Bear (the most lovable lab the world has ever produced).
I have never had one tough or difficult or negative experience with any of them.

How do I do it? Easy. One belongs to my girlfriend, another belongs to my best friend, and the third belongs to his granddaughter. lol

2seaoat

Slingers advice on the car phobia was good. We take our to pup to visit her sister, and her sister rides to visit us.....both dogs....ALWAYS want to get in the car and go someplace.

Wordslinger wrote:

Dear Dreams:  What's wrong is your dog's impression of riding in a car -- she thinks it's always bad.  You can easily change that.  Here's how:  I assume she likes to eat ... right?  I also assume you feed her around the same time each day, right?  Well, for the next seven days, put her in the car and drive around the block just before mealtime.  In a few days she'll be looking forward to going for a ride.  After seven days, her attitude will be positive towards riding in the car.  The next challenge will be to get her to remain in one place in the car for the whole ride.  But that's a different technique.  Do #1 first and let me know how it went.  Best of luck.  

Wordslinger, I don't have a specific meal time. I keep food in her bowl all the time so she eats when she feels like it. I think I'm just going to have to keep driving her around periodically. She doesn't ride much in the car so she becomes anxious. I think going into Publix upset her when she peed in the back seat. She has become where she follows me around constantly in the house even to the bathroom.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum