Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

A Matter of Property Rights or a Public Nuisance?

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Nekochan

Nekochan

This is a story from Huntsville, about a man and his property vs the city.
http://blog.al.com/breaking/2012/08/overgrown_yard_dispute_between.html

I like the natural look, at least there isn't a bunch of trash layin around.

Lurch wrote:I like the natural look, at least there isn't a bunch of trash layin around.

thats a good thing, because if there was, PB would dig through it.

lol!

*Secret_Angel* wrote:
Lurch wrote:I like the natural look, at least there isn't a bunch of trash layin around.

lol!
Shocked

Lurch wrote:
*Secret_Angel* wrote:

lol!
Shocked

Laughing

wow, that was fun. its been a long time since I let loose.

You people really are as boring as a graveyard. Laughing

clap....Im off.... I got sexy to do.

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

According to the article, these people are scum and shouldn't own property that they can't maintain. I rarely side with the government on these things, but if you can't maintain it, you shouldn't own it. Tent city awaits you.

ghandi wrote:According to the article, these people are scum and shouldn't own property that they can't maintain. I rarely side with the government on these things, but if you can't maintain it, you shouldn't own it. Tent city awaits you.
What's so bad about it? I guess you're one who thinks we need more government in our lives. As long as there's no trash I don't see a problem with it. My yard is full of bushes, trees and flowers too and I like it like that.
http://maps.google.com/maps?rlz=1T4ADFA_enUS410US411&q=1320+Pratt+Ave+NE+Huntsville,+AL+35801&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x886214babd89350b:0xe4efe0836486de10,1320+Pratt+Ave+NE,+Huntsville,+AL+35801&gl=us&sa=X&ei=xqkpUNHtG8bf0QH-w4CoDA&ved=0CAkQ8gEwAA

Last edited by Lurch on 8/13/2012, 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

Lurch wrote:
ghandi wrote:According to the article, these people are scum and shouldn't own property that they can't maintain. I rarely side with the government on these things, but if you can't maintain it, you shouldn't own it. Tent city awaits you.
What's so bad about it? I guess you're one who thinks we need more government in our lives. As long as there's no trash I don't see a problem with it. My yard is full of bushes, trees and flowers too and I like it like that.

Not really but I think neighbors have rights too.

Nobody wants to live next to scummy neighbors.

If you can't shoot them, might as well let someone who collects your tax money handle it for you.

ghandi wrote:
Lurch wrote:

Not really but I think neighbors have rights too.

Nobody wants to live next to scummy neighbors.

If you can't shoot them, might as well let someone who collects your tax money handle it for you.
I put up a google map and it really isn't that bad.
The people living along Scenic Highway have more trees in their yard, I don't see anybody wanting to chop them dowm..http://maps.google.com/maps?rlz=1T4ADFA_enUS410US411&q=1320+Pratt+Ave+NE+Huntsville,+AL+35801&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x886214babd89350b:0xe4efe0836486de10,1320+Pratt+Ave+NE,+Huntsville,+AL+35801&gl=us&sa=X&ei=xqkpUNHtG8bf0QH-w4CoDA&ved=0CAkQ8gEwAA

I had a lady point to the woods next door to her fine trimmed yard and through the fence you could see it was woods. (Y'all know I was a health inspector, right?)

Well, she said "I want you to do something about "this". I told her that the only thing wrong about the property was "some trash that looked like it was thrown over the fence from her side". She didn't like that answer.

---------------
Although the city of Pensacola has (had?) a law on the books saying grass can't be longer than 18", I never took someone to court for an overgrown yard.

I may have had to tell people to cut their grass, but I don't remember doing so... And never filed a case on them.

The difference between the story I told about the lady with the woods next door and the man's yard is that the man's yard was developed as a homesite. Once it is developed, the vegetation ordinance probably applies.

It hurts property values and an ordinance was probably enacted to protect the general populace from having to live next door to places like that. In an urban environment it would be unacceptable. In a rural setting where your neighbors are many hundreds of feet away, it would be acceptable.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Looks like his yard could be trimmed a bit and still maintain its natural appearance. But I agree with Lurch...it's not that bad. The thing is--the Greenies raise holy hell about "saving the planet" but they don't come to the defense of a homeowner like this one. There is no more "green" of a yard than this homeowner's. No pesticides, no fertilizers.....it's all natural.

Our yard is full of bushes and trees (and big rocks). We don't even own a lawn mower anymore. We have a green ground cover, but it isn't grass. Our yard is more 'kept' looking than the house in this story. Hubby takes care of it and he doesn't use pesticides or fertilizers. We've also had a pretty nice little patio veggie garden this summer and we haven't used any pesticides.

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

I confess.

I thought this topic was about me. Or my yard, to be more exact. My plants are so high, my vines so tall and climbing, that you can barely see my little house from the street.

I'm not proud of it, but I can also say it's in that state because both my husband and I have been working our buns off all summer....and the last time we hired someone to help, he cut down the plants and left the weeds. He even cut my wisteria in two. Dinglebrain. So I am not too trusting when it comes to gardeners, since most don't understand wild gardens.

I don't have much grass, though. We DO cut the grass we have. The rest of it is perennials, and Miracle Gro did do wonders this year.

Not to worry - our yard is set for a re-design this winter, complete with a pretty pond in the front yard.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Yomama wrote:The difference between the story I told about the lady with the woods next door and the man's yard is that the man's yard was developed as a homesite. Once it is developed, the vegetation ordinance probably applies.

It hurts property values and an ordinance was probably enacted to protect the general populace from having to live next door to places like that. In an urban environment it would be unacceptable. In a rural setting where your neighbors are many hundreds of feet away, it would be acceptable.

I can understand that. But really, the trees and brush in the guy's yard don't bother me --what would matter to me is junk and trash in the yard. There is a house about a mile down the street from us that has an old RV and several old cars sitting on the lawn...not in the driveway, but actually on the front lawn...and we're talking about a house sitting on a 1/4 acre lot or so, it's not like a rural area where people keep old cars in their yards. But the homeowner down the street keeps the lawn mowed--he mows around the vehicles. That yard is trashy looking to me and I'm glad he doesn't live next to us. But I guess he doesn't get cited because he keeps his grass cut. I'd rather have the guy in this story I posted about live by me than the guy down the street.

The best argument that I see in this case is that I guess the city is saying that it can decide what is acceptable or not when they trim the guy's yard. As I take it, they want to come out and trim up his yard without any input from him on what trees and vegetation stays and what goes....and then send him the bill. And that doesn't really sound right, does it?

Nekochan wrote:Looks like his yard could be trimmed a bit and still maintain its natural appearance. But I agree with Lurch...it's not that bad. The thing is--the Greenies raise holy hell about "saving the planet" but they don't come to the defense of a homeowner like this one. There is no more "green" of a yard than this homeowner's. No pesticides, no fertilizers.....it's all natural.

Our yard is full of bushes and trees (and big rocks). We don't even own a lawn mower anymore. We have a green ground cover, but it isn't grass. Our yard is more 'kept' looking than the house in this story. Hubby takes care of it and he doesn't use pesticides or fertilizers. We've also had a pretty nice little patio veggie garden this summer and we haven't used any pesticides.

It wouldn't bother me if was neat looking.There is a lady on my street who's yard looks like a tropical garden but it's not neglected looking so it's ok.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Soon this will be a laugh as we forage for edible vegetation just survive starvation ....hey buddy you gonna eat that skink ?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum