Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

How do you spend super bowl sunday, and what are your traditions

+2
Joanimaroni
2seaoat
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

2seaoat

For 36 years I have gotten together with grade school and high school friends for superbowl sunday. There were about eight of us in the beginning and we are now down to 6 or 7 depending on if someone is traveling on business. We used to play a $100 poverty poker game which means if you lose all your money you still play, and you can never lose over $100. In the good times between 11-and 1am we would end the poverty game and play some higher stakes.....much higher.

Now one person is a civil engineer who made six figures his whole career, but has been supporting his wife with MS on half salary for five years, another was a director of a school, and was laid off for two years, another is a mechanical engineer and a sales agent for an industrial filter system, who builds his territory up only to face age discrimination and division of his book of sale to younger sales people as he changes jobs, builds his book of sale, and again has them take his territory and divide it with young people.......the bottom line is that babyboomers who were kicking asz get together they are the walking wounded, yet when we play a board game like acquire in place of poker because some among us no longer can lose a hundred bucks, we revert back to those 6th and 7th graders so many years ago, and cherish the bonds of friendship which are renewed each and every superbowl. I have turned down great tickets to the actual superbowl to travel and participate in our traditional celebration, and I will continue to do the same until like all good things it comes to an end.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Super bowl snacks. The last two years we did not host a big party. Instead we watched he game and commercials.

Not sure if the kids will be hosting parties.....if so we will attend but leave at half time like we did with the FSU/Auburn game.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Sad that so many people are afflicted with arrested development.

The end of the gladiator shows

First when the economy worsened and the money ran out, the number of shows and gladiators in one show diminished. Emperor Constantine the great attempted to put an end to the shows without much result. Only when the numbers of the public wanting to attend these shows diminished too, the shows would one by one be stopped. But the bloody animal shows and the public executions would be continued for some decades.

2seaoat

Sad that so many people are afflicted with arrested development.

If you are all grown up......I think I will pass.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Football players, like prostitutes, are in the business of ruining their bodies for the pleasure of strangers.  ~Merle Kessler

Football the opiate of the people.

Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider

I spend it sitting in front of the TV watching the game, nothing special. Just our normal daily meals. For some reason I just cannot get all hyped up for a once a year football tradition. If I want to see and visit friends I do not wait for an annual tradition.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

I am just picking at seaoat...football is entertaining pure and simple. Like watching chess with live players...

2seaoat

Like watching chess with live players...

really? chess?

I either go shopping or take a long Sunday Bike ride. I dont think I have ever watched an entire Super Bowl game. Just sayin. But one time I had 2 TVs going, food and some friends over to watch the Daytona 500. We were yelling for #3 Dale Enrheart to pass someone. My daughter came by and said "Kinda like your super Bowl, aint it Dad?" I just glared at her and told her to be quiet. It is different. Gee-zus

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

2seaoat wrote:Like watching chess with live players...

really?   chess?

Best AnswerVoter's Choice

antiochtennis answered 8 years ago

This analogy of Football being like chess is used for several reasons. First, you have an offense and a defense which is similar to what a good chess player does, you either adopt an attacking style or defensive style. The chess board is all about position and controlling the board such as a row or column or maybe a diagonal. Football is about controlling the field as far as limiting yards, special personal packages, defenses positioning players to take away what the offense is trying to gain. In Chess the pawns play a major roll as blockers and point of attack pieces, football lineman have almost the exact role on a football field. In chess you are matching wits against your opponent. In Football it is matching wits with coaching staffs, one teams offensive coordinator against anothers defensive coordinator and vice versa. Those are the main points of similarity between the two.

cool1

cool1

I don't unless its the Saints---But I like the comercials  Laughing 

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

I will not miss any Super Bowl....

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

I spend Super Bowl Sunday counting nails and screws in my garage. It's more exciting than watching a football game ...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum