Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Teen accused in Mom's Christmas Eve slaying unfit to stand trial

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

QueenOfHearts

QueenOfHearts

A judge ruled this afternoon that a Gulf Breeze teenager accused of killing his mother on Christmas Eve is incompetent to stand trial.

William Brandon Aydelott, 17, is charged with first-degree murder in the fatal stabbing and bludgeoning of his mother, Sharon Aydelott, on Dec. 24, 2013.

At a brief hearing at the Santa Rosa County Courthouse, Circuit Judge John Simon ruled Aydelott’s mental stability made him unfit for trial.

Simon ordered Aydelott to be sent to Florida State Hospital for six months for treatment. His criminal proceedings will be delayed, but not halted. A trial date on first-degree murder has been set for July 14.

At the hearing, Aydelott entered a not guilty plea to the murder charge.

Before the judge's ruling, Aydelott could be heard talking to himself and appeared confused. At one point he was removed from the courtroom. When he returned, he appeared composed.

“Normally in a case of this nature, he will be sent to a state hospital for treatment until he regains his competency,” State Attorney Bill Eddins said. “Normally that process takes between three and nine months.”

Aydelott is being tried as an adult in the case and faces life in prison if convicted.

At the hearing today Aydelott pleaded not guilty to a charge of assaulting an officer.

Reportedly on Jan.1, Aydelott punched a law enforcement officer in the jaw because he was not immediately taken to see a doctor upon his request, a Santa Rosa County Sheriff’s Office arrest report said.

The day of the incident, a corrections officer was sent to check on Aydelott because he was hitting his cell door. The officer said that he entered to cell because he couldn’t understand Aydelott through the door.

Aydelott, who was already to scheduled to see a doctor that day, demanded to be taken to the doctor immediately, the arrest report said.

When the officer explained that it did not work that way, Aydelott reportedly punched him with a closed fist.

Aydelott was charged with assault on a law enforcement officer.

http://www.pnj.com/article/20140122/NEWS11/140122004/Teen-accused-in-mom-s-Christmas-Eve-slaying-gets-competency-hearing

Good coaching by the public defender

Good coaching by the public defender

My ex is Simons bailiff

RottiesRule

“Normally in a case of this nature, he will be sent to a state hospital for treatment until he regains his competency,” State Attorney Bill Eddins said. “Normally that process takes between three and nine months.”

He may have been coached as P.D. said or he may be seriously mentally ill.
I don't know him, the family or the circumstances, but the crime was exceptionally brutal and he should live behind bars for the rest of his life.

Of course the King boys wasted their dad and were out of prison in less than 6 years

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

RottiesRule wrote:“Normally in a case of this nature, he will be sent to a state hospital for treatment until he regains his competency,” State Attorney Bill Eddins said. “Normally that process takes between three and nine months.”

He may have been coached as P.D. said or he may be seriously mentally ill.
I don't know him, the family or the circumstances, but the crime was exceptionally brutal and he should live behind bars for the rest of his life.

I agree.

My understanding, he has never exhibited any signs of mental incompetence.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

My bet the kids on kill pills...Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, if he wasn't then he soon will be.

QueenOfHearts

QueenOfHearts

Can you be forced to take medication so that you can become competent to stand trial?

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

QueenOfHearts wrote:Can you be forced to take medication so that you can become competent to stand trial?

If declared incompetent or judged by a doctor as mentally unstable they can fry your brain with electro-shock or give you just about any thing the 3rd Reich might have thunk up.

Quote: The development of powerful drugs has given the government the opportunity to medicate mentally incompetent defendants to the point whre they are competent to stand trial. By 2003, the federal government was medicating hundreds of defendants each year but a small number objected to medication. The Supreme Court, in Sell v. United States 539 U.S. ___, 123 S. Ct., 2174, 156 L. Ed. 2d 197 (2003), issued a major setback to prosecutors, when it placed strict guidelines on medicating defendants accused of less serious, nonviolent crimes.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Incompetency

personally, I don't care what they give him. He needs to be punished for his crime. I am not a advocate for people getting off of crimes, specially of this nature on mental shit. because face it, you are mental if you commit these types of crimes period.

also, he could be going crazy from knowing what he did to his mother in possibly a drug induced rage. never the less, he must stay away from society.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

[quote="Chrissy"]personally, I don't care what they give him. He needs to be punished for his crime. I am not a advocate for people getting off of crimes, specially of this nature on mental shit. because face it, you are mental if you commit these types of crimes period.

also, he could be going crazy from knowing what he did to his mother in possibly a drug induced rage. never the less, he must stay away from society. [/quote

Well we can't just go Hitler on him. I am all for executing the criminally insane like I would easily shoot a mad dog for the safety of myself and others. Problem is if you are insane you didn't know what you were doing according to the law even if it were a very well thought out crime.

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
Chrissy wrote:personally, I don't care what they give him. He needs to be punished for his crime. I am not a advocate for people getting off of crimes, specially of this nature on mental shit. because face it, you are mental if you commit these types of crimes period.

also, he could be going crazy from knowing what he did to his mother in possibly a drug induced rage. never the less, he must stay away from society. [/quote

Well we can't just go Hitler on him. I am all for executing the criminally insane like I would easily shoot a mad dog for the safety of myself and others. Problem is if you are insane you didn't know what you were doing according to the law even if it were a very well thought out crime.

well, im not advocating tossing him in a oven.  Razz 

but I do believe in an eye for an eye. He crossed the line. Its sad I know, but really at this point you can not show any proof of rehabilitation to set this man out on the street at some point and time and wait for it to happen again?

I'm going to speculate here. They are going to toss him in a mental facility till he turns 18, then fry him. they could try him as adult now im sure, but at 18 it will be much easier to prosecute. Im not a lawyer, so Im only speculating.

It is wrong to kill someone who has mental problems. Most people can be rehabilitated w/ medication and treatment. There is a college professor who killed his whole family as a teenager and has never committed another crime again in like 40 years.

bizguy

Chrissy wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:
Chrissy wrote:personally, I don't care what they give him. He needs to be punished for his crime. I am not a advocate for people getting off of crimes, specially of this nature on mental shit. because face it, you are mental if you commit these types of crimes period.

but I do believe in an eye for an eye. He crossed the line. Its sad I know, but really at this point you can not show any proof of rehabilitation to set this man out on the street at some point and time and wait for it to happen again?

I'm going to speculate here. They are going to toss him in a mental facility till he turns 18, then fry him. they could try him as adult now im sure, but at 18 it will be much easier to prosecute. Im not a lawyer, so Im only speculating.

Under Florida law he is not subject to the death penalty because he was a minor when the crime was committed.

bizguy wrote:
Chrissy wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:

Under Florida law he is not subject to the death penalty because he was a minor when the crime was committed.  

ah I see that changed in 2005
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_juvenile_offenders_executed_in_the_United_States

maybe he is under mind control as a experiment from the government.  Wink 

One of my former students took "not competent" route on 3 different occasions. He was sent to the state facility for evaluation, then also had a psychological evaluation after his release from the hospital. In one case, he was found competent, in the second case he was found incompetent. When he committed double murder in 2010, the state found him incompetent but the court found him competent. I would love to know the criteria for the determinations. Court documents indicate that he was evaluated for mental retardation. He had significant learning disabilities but he was not retarded according to the standards set by our school system.

He probably had a duel diagnosis of mental illness and learning disabilities. They are two different things. I have no doubt this kid has a mental illness apparently undiagnosed. The onset of schizophrenia is around 19 yrs. old.

Teen accused in Mom's Christmas Eve slaying unfit to stand trial Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT4gNfbDInvCS72DwlCtpfv1hjimPREtnfT9QStKQENnd7GIUIq

Is anyone who commits a heinous crime truly competent or on the other hand is anyone who is an absolute saint truly competent?

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD-E-LDc384

Smile 

Teen accused in Mom's Christmas Eve slaying unfit to stand trial Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSVBoYvHRbBXvC9RniPsRFGVQqZL6NTcWkdHGDx1Hx_KW_LJ5ZE

Fortunately I keep all the outside doors to my house locked when I'm inside so the mental cases stay outside in their worldwide cage...

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_1ruZWJigo

Laughing

Teen accused in Mom's Christmas Eve slaying unfit to stand trial Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRck4vdjlSMfXN-FCNgd4_Iaml-rMxhNqWnylTGdc7_ov1wXCq7

I'm sure I could add something about Republican obstructionists and Bush being behind all this for FT and the supposedly enlightened progressive liberals to keep them happy.....

Wait!!!!! I just did!

We're good.

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RAQXg0IdfI

Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum