Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pennsylvania Voter ID Law Struck Down as Judge Cites Burden on Citizens

+7
Sal
Jake92
ZVUGKTUBM
QueenOfHearts
Markle
2seaoat
Floridatexan
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/18/us/politics/pennsylvania-voter-id-law-struck-down.html?_r=0

"In a strongly worded decision, a state judge on Friday struck down Pennsylvania’s 2012 law requiring voters to produce a state-approved photo ID at the polls, setting up a potential Supreme Court confrontation that could have implications for other such laws across the country.

The judge, Bernard L. McGinley of Commonwealth Court, ruled that the law hampered the ability of hundreds of thousands of Pennsylvanians to cast their ballots, with the burden falling most heavily on elderly, disabled and low-income residents, and that the state’s reason for the law — that it was needed to combat voter fraud — was not supported by the facts.

“Voting laws are designed to assure a free and fair election,” the judge wrote in his 103-page decision. “The voter ID law does not further this goal.”..."

2seaoat

There has never been a voter fraud problem, there has been a problem with those who want to restrict our citizens rights to vote.

I hope it does go to the supreme court.

voters should have to have ID to vote.

they need to prove citizen ship. voting is a citizens right, not just anybody's

2seaoat wrote:There has never been a voter fraud problem, there has been a problem with those who want to restrict our citizens rights to vote.

and your full of shit as usual. go take another pill.

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote: There has never been a voter fraud problem, there has been a problem with those who want to restrict our citizens rights to vote.

A lie, as you well know.

Since our ballots are secret, how would anyone know if there was voter fraud?

If I knew the names of 100 fraudulent voter registrations. Without a photo ID, or any ID, how would anyone know if I went to 10 polling places, in our area, and submitted 10 absentee ballots under a different name each time?

2seaoat

A lie, as you well know.

If I knew the names of 100 fraudulent voter registrations. Without a photo ID, or any ID, how would anyone know if I went to 10 polling places, in our area, and submitted 10 absentee ballots under a different name each time?

The moon could be made out of green cheese and T could be correct that man never landed on the moon, but if course if you have some proof of any significant fraud which involved individual voters using false identification please produce the same.....there is none......there is a much more statistically significant chance of fraud from those handling the ballots or machine fraud.

2seaoat wrote:A lie, as you well know.

The moon could be made out of green cheese and T could be correct that man never landed on the moon, but if course if you have some proof of any significant fraud which involved individual voters using false identification please produce the same.....there is none......there is a much more statistically significant chance of fraud from those handling the ballots or machine fraud.

there is voter fraud all over the place. every year people get convicted.

you can NOT function in this country as a proper citizen without a ID. we are not living in the cowboy and indian days. the wagons have left the barn. we are infiltrated by illegals.

why do you have such a hard time wanting people to prove they are citizens to vote?

this should be a non issue. the only ones trying to insure people can vote without a ID are the people cheating.

But you will need I'D for obamacare....

It's about Dems letting people vote as many times as they can

QueenOfHearts

QueenOfHearts

Requiring identification is hardly restrictive. You need ID for everything else.

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:A lie, as you well know.

So you have nothing...AGAIN. Who would have guessed.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

The judge has accurately pointed out that the instances of voter fraud in this country are almost nil. These state-by-state GOP initiatives to disenfranchise voters are Jim Crow on steroids. I can't vote in more than one precinct because I'm registered in only ONE. I presented my ID when I registered to vote. Each year, unless I change my address, I'm still registered to vote and I receive a new voter registration for the current year. My name appears on the voter rolls for my precinct. I sign that log when I appear on election day in the presence of a poll worker. Now, I could register to vote in more than one state, but what are my chances of actually voting in more than one state, even with absentee ballots? Not to mention the penalties, both state and federal, of doing so.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/01/opinion/the-dishonesty-of-voter-id-laws.html?_r=0

The Dishonesty of Voter ID Laws
By THE EDITORIAL BOARD
Published: September 30, 2013

"The Justice Department on Monday sued North Carolina over the state’s restrictive new voting law, which requires photo identification for in-person voting and cuts back on early voting and same-day registration — all of which will disproportionately affect black voters. The suit, which follows similar litigation against Texas, is the latest effort by the department to go after voting discrimination in the wake of the Supreme Court’s ruling in June striking down part of the Voting Rights Act..."

Floridatexan wrote:
The judge has accurately pointed out that the instances of voter fraud in this country are almost nil.  These state-by-state GOP initiatives to disenfranchise voters are Jim Crow on steroids.  I can't vote in more than one precinct because I'm registered in only ONE.  I presented my ID when I registered to vote.  Each year, unless I change my address, I'm still registered to vote and I receive a new voter registration for the current year.  My name appears on the voter rolls for my precinct.  I sign that log when I appear on election day in the presence of a poll worker.  Now, I could register to vote in more than one state, but what are my chances of actually voting in more than one state, even with absentee ballots?  Not to mention the penalties, both state and federal, of doing so.  

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/01/opinion/the-dishonesty-of-voter-id-laws.html?_r=0

By THE EDITORIAL BOARD

"The Justice Department on Monday sued North Carolina over the state’s restrictive new voting law, which requires photo identification for in-person voting and cuts back on early voting and same-day registration — all of which will disproportionately affect black voters. The suit, which follows similar litigation against Texas, is the latest effort by the department to go after voting discrimination in the wake of the Supreme Court’s ruling in June striking down part of the Voting Rights Act..."

why are you so upset about voter ID? are you worried that all those dead poeple and illegals wont be able to vote dem if it happens? I bet you are. LOL

its going to happen sooner or later. we wont stand for anything other than a fair election.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Chrissy wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:
The judge has accurately pointed out that the instances of voter fraud in this country are almost nil.  These state-by-state GOP initiatives to disenfranchise voters are Jim Crow on steroids.  I can't vote in more than one precinct because I'm registered in only ONE.  I presented my ID when I registered to vote.  Each year, unless I change my address, I'm still registered to vote and I receive a new voter registration for the current year.  My name appears on the voter rolls for my precinct.  I sign that log when I appear on election day in the presence of a poll worker.  Now, I could register to vote in more than one state, but what are my chances of actually voting in more than one state, even with absentee ballots?  Not to mention the penalties, both state and federal, of doing so.  

By THE EDITORIAL BOARD

why are you so upset about voter ID? are you worried that all those dead poeple and illegals wont be able to vote dem if it happens? I bet you are. LOL

its going to happen sooner or later. we wont stand for anything other than a fair election.

Now that is funny. Republicans are no strangers to election fraud. Ever heard of Kenneth Blackwell, Ohio 2004, and Diebold electronic voting machines? LOL!

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:
Chrissy wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:

By THE EDITORIAL BOARD

Now that is funny. Republicans are no strangers to election fraud. Ever heard of Kenneth Blackwell, Ohio 2004, and Diebold electronic voting machines? LOL!

when I say WE, I say it for all of the HONEST hard working Americans out here, from ALL parties. deal with it.

IT IS ILLEGAL to vote unless you are a CITIZEN, understand that? And considering our current INVASION of MILLIONS of illegals I think PROOF of citizenship is the only responsible thing to do. even 3rd world countries do it, you would think 1st world countries would want a clean fair election as best as they could.

The Dems just want chaos so that their messiah can TRY and implement martial law and create a coup.

Jake92

By THE EDITORIAL BOARD

[/quote]

HOW does it affect blacks more than whites???  That is a problem of the PERSON, NOT the race..  Help them get an ID and registered instead of fighting to change the law for the very small minority of people too lazy to get a photo ID..

The govt hasn't been in the equal protection biz for a long time.

Jake92

The majority rules and the minority buys the politicians..

Sal

Sal

Jake92 wrote:

HOW does it affect blacks more than whites???  That is a problem of the PERSON, NOT the race..  Help them get an ID and registered instead of fighting to change the law for the very small minority of people too lazy to get a photo ID..

It doesn't matter how.

If these laws can be shown to have the effect of disproportionately disenfranchising minority voters through no fault of their own, then the laws are unconstitutional.

Doesn't matter how they did it - be it a literacy test or voter ID.

Pennsylvania's voter ID law was shown to immediately disenfranchise over 750,000 inner-city Philadelphians.

Doesn't matter how it did so.

Unconstitutional.

Sal wrote:
Jake92 wrote:

It doesn't matter how.

If these laws can be shown to have the effect of disproportionately disenfranchising minority voters through no fault of their own, then the laws are unconstitutional.

Doesn't matter how they did it - be it a literacy test or voter ID.

Pennsylvania's voter ID law was shown to immediately disenfranchise over 750,000 inner-city Philadelphians.

Doesn't matter how it did so.

Unconstitutional.

Then you would agree that Obamacare is unconstitutional as well seeing as how you have to have an ID to get those services that will be rendered.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

PACEDOG#1 wrote:The Dems just want chaos so that their messiah can TRY and implement martial law and create a coup.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes 
 Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

2seaoat

People who supported the poll tax argued that they could not understand why a few dollars would be a bar to voting.....the more things change, the more they stay the same, and it is curious that those people who say racism is dead are the ones who support this....coincidence.....hardly.

Free ID nuf said. Hell we already provide them with fee credit card for EBT.

knothead

knothead

PACEDOG#1 wrote:The Dems just want chaos so that their messiah can TRY and implement martial law and create a coup.

UH . . . . . Earth to PeeDog . . . . Earth to PeeDog your statement is contradictory . . . . you a teacher? A coup is launched to take power from the existing government and the last time I looked Obama is the CIC.
Please tell me you do not teach civics . . .  Shocked 

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum