Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Checked out the new building at Maritime Park

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

2seaoat

I have never seen a commercial building that close to a possible storm surge using such lightweight steel for a multistory structure. They appear to be reinforcing the support columns with block and concrete, but I do not know how this building could be approved that close to a storm surge. I realize they are at a high elevation, but a thirty foot storm surge will bend that lightweight steel like a pipe cleaner.

What gauge do you think they are? Even 24g can be made very strong with straps and foam insulation.

It is Pensacola. Our version of "value engineering" All is good. Thank you for an honest evaluation of the project.

WE use the "BIC" method of building......  Build...Insure...Collect

2seaoat

Pk,
I do not know what gage the steel is, but over the years I have been part of many buildings, and I was just shocked. It appears they are getting around it by reinforcing the west ground level supports. I could not get a rental machine for this weekend so I headed out to Marco Island, and when I come back in a couple weeks and rent the machine, I am looking forward to seeing if they reinforced all the ground level steel. I am certainly not an architect, and I realize the ground elevation at this building is surprisingly high, but a surge equal to Ivan is going to put a hurt on that building.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum