Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Elephant Shark

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Elephant Shark Empty Elephant Shark 1/8/2014, 7:13 pm

http://www.ibtimes.com/elephant-shark-living-fossil-callorhinchus-milii-hardly-changed-400-million-years-1532708

The elephant shark isn’t really a shark at all. Rather,the large-snouted marine animal belongs to a group of fish called ratfish,which diverged from sharks about 400 million years ago. Scientists have called this group of cartilaginous fish “perhaps the oldest and most enigmatic groups of fish alive today.” Earth’s earliest fish species paved the way for bony skeletons,a sophisticated immune system and jaws.

Callorhinchus milii grow to around four feet. Elephant sharks,which occasionally get snagged in commercial fishing nets,typically live at depths of up to 650 feet. The fish spends most of its time on the ocean floor,where it rummages for crustaceans.

The fact that the elephant shark’s genome has stayed relatively unchanged means it boasts a genome very different from the genomes of vertebrates today. Scientists say this offers an extraordinary look into the evolutionary past of Earth’s vertebrates.

"We now have the genetic blueprint of a species that is considered a critical outlier for understanding the evolution and diversity of bony vertebrates, including humans," Wesley Warren,an associate professor of genetics at the Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis,told AFP.

2Elephant Shark Empty Re: Elephant Shark 1/8/2014, 7:35 pm

If it stayed basically unchanged all this time, I don't see how they think they can use this as any proof of other evolution. Sharks themselves who these things supposedly diverged from also do not have boney vertebrates, they have a cartilage vertebrate as well. Makes no sense.

the article might be interesting but really it seems like a bloated piece of propaganda.

3Elephant Shark Empty Re: Elephant Shark 1/8/2014, 7:43 pm

They probably used the mitochondrial dna to compare with the current dna.

4Elephant Shark Empty Re: Elephant Shark 1/8/2014, 7:59 pm

PkrBum wrote:They probably used the mitochondrial dna to compare with the current dna.

even still. here we have two cartilage species and they want to use this specie to make a connection to how bony fish became about. gives new meaning to the missing link to me lol

why not look at bony fish mitochondrial dna?

They said this>>> We now have the genetic blueprint of a species that is considered a critical outlier for understanding the evolution and diversity of bony vertebrates, including humans

I call propaganda science. 2 hotdogs don't make a hamburger.

I do welcome your conversation on it though. Always love to learn.  Smile 

5Elephant Shark Empty Re: Elephant Shark 1/8/2014, 8:10 pm

I don't have much else to add... lol. Just thght it was interesting too. There's a fish that has shoulders that they think think might link to the first species to have ventured onto land. I don't think we know enough to make sweeping statements of facts here yet.

Besides... I love fish... especially grilled.

6Elephant Shark Empty Re: Elephant Shark 1/8/2014, 8:30 pm

PkrBum wrote:I don't have much else to add... lol. Just thght it was interesting too. There's a fish that has shoulders that they think think might link to the first species to have ventured onto land. I don't think we know enough to make sweeping statements of facts here yet.

Besides... I love fish... especially grilled.

lol... fair enough. I just know there are a group of people who like to try and link evolution to origins of life and I agree, its such a huge jump with so few pieces that even most scientist to not go that far. but occasionally youll see a little piece like this one that makes the attempt by making that small comment I showed and it will be used by every denier of a creator on the planet.

btw,,, I do recall that you do not believe in a creator and that's ok, I still love ya.

I got a chuckle out of your shoulder fish comment and this is what came to mind... < isn't it terrible to eat your ancestors > LOL

7Elephant Shark Empty Re: Elephant Shark 1/9/2014, 4:03 pm

Fossil Pigment Remains Reveal True Colors of Ancient Sea Monsters

http://www.scienceworldreport.com/articles/12060/20140109/fossil-pigment-remains-reveal-true-colors-ancient-sea-monsters.htm

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum