Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Free Will

+7
Hospital Bob
Wordslinger
ZVUGKTUBM
Markle
surfnrg
TEOTWAWKI
Sal
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

1Free Will Empty Free Will 12/18/2013, 11:13 pm

Sal

Sal

There's an interesting show on the Science Network tonight, called Through the Wormhole

They were discussing the theory of free will. 

So, what do you say, religious types?

Do you believe everything happens for a reason?

That would preclude free will. 

And, if there's no free will, what's the point?

You're just a pre-programmed robot. 

2Free Will Empty Re: Free Will 12/18/2013, 11:16 pm

first answer this.

is it free will when you see a commercial and then you go out and buy the product you seen in the commercial?

3Free Will Empty Re: Free Will 12/18/2013, 11:21 pm

Sal

Sal

Yeah, I think that would qualify as a choice. 

4Free Will Empty Re: Free Will 12/18/2013, 11:27 pm

Sal wrote:Yeah, I think that would qualify as a choice. 

so you agree that " making a choice" is free will?

I need you to be absolutely certain that you agree that if you see a commercial and then go buy the product that this is free will.

5Free Will Empty Re: Free Will 12/18/2013, 11:27 pm

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

We really have no more free will than a computerized machine. I am limited by my programmed ethics. In spite of being called a Nazi I am no where near the cold hearted beast that would require. To reprogram me at this point would require an extreme event like lightning striking a computer and scrambling it's program. I am peaceful and would never hurt anyone unless I or my family was attacked. We do find people like serial killers to be interesting because they appear to have freewill but of course they usually seem to want to get caught so perhaps their programming at some point over rides their behavior. Now soldiers can be reprogrammed through training but even they seem to have a deeper program that destroys them at some point if they can't deal with the evil they do in war... In the Christian belief system there is no such thing as a good man, even our best works are called filthy rags...in the final essence we trust in Jesus to be our intercessor for our behavior outside the proper program. Sin is translated as missing the mark, like an arrow missing a bulls eye. When we act outside our program Jesus the IT guy fixes things.

6Free Will Empty Re: Free Will 12/18/2013, 11:30 pm

I was just talking about that on Facebook. Some guy puts " I don't believe in luck, I believe in Jesus". WTH! Do people seriously believe there is some entity in the sky watching over everything you do and say and guiding you to miracles and every day matters? Seriously?

7Free Will Empty Re: Free Will 12/18/2013, 11:35 pm

Sal

Sal

@Teo

I don't agree with anything in your post, but gawd damn, that's a really good post that makes me think. 

I like it. 

Thanks. 

8Free Will Empty Re: Free Will 12/18/2013, 11:38 pm

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

To stay on my theme Jesus came and lived the program that his creator desired from his immaculate keyboard. I look to him as an antivirus that finds a glitch in my program and deletes it before it causes me to wreck the machine I am. Does he monitor my operation ? Yes he does in perhaps the same way I write a program and watch it run to make sure it does what it is written to do. You can't see the wifi signal flying around in your house but it is certainly there.

9Free Will Empty Re: Free Will 12/18/2013, 11:45 pm

Sal

Sal

Then why do we prosecute miscreants?

They were born that way. 

10Free Will Empty Ok 12/18/2013, 11:48 pm

surfnrg

surfnrg

Sal i know u will be fascinated teo too

Dr. robert Sapolsky.  Stanford

On free will. Get a drink or popcorn,,,,

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx8xEUYrb74&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DCx8xEUYrb74

11Free Will Empty Re: Free Will 12/18/2013, 11:51 pm

Markle

Markle

Dreamsglore wrote:I was just talking about that on Facebook. Some guy puts " I don't believe in luck, I believe in Jesus". WTH! Do people seriously believe there is some entity in the sky watching over everything you do and say and guiding you to miracles and every day matters? Seriously?

Why does it matter to you?

Where do you get your moral guidance from? Whatever feels good at the moment? That does explain most Progressives and Heathens.

12Free Will Empty Re: Free Will 12/18/2013, 11:55 pm

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

We do not prosecute insane people do we ? They had a virus erase their lookup tables. We prosecute people that know their program and "willingly" act outside it. I guess we can help the great IT guy fix broken machines by putting them in the gray bar shop till they reboot..Other people act sort of like redundancy drives and restore us like when your mom shames you for deviating from her program.

13Free Will Empty Re: Free Will 12/18/2013, 11:57 pm

well, I got to go to sleep so heres my 2cents.

I believe we have free will. And i believe in God. God gave us free will and also gave us the intelligence/conscience to make choices when presented with signs(commercials sent from God Wink )  or even tools ( ie scripture etc ) and situations.

with that said. I don't necessarily buy into organized religion. believing in God does not have to be connected with organized religion as far as I am concerned. I think things have been added and/or taken away from the tools used today which is mostly one bible or another which is so easy to change the meaning by just adding a word here or there.

Free will exist, God does too. its up to each of us to make a choice. This is exactly why bad things happen in Gods world. People were given the right to make choices. Or else there would be no test of faith and like you said, we would all just be a bunch of little robots frolicking around eating apples.

14Free Will Empty Re: Free Will 12/19/2013, 12:01 am

Sal

Sal

That's a damn good reply, Chrissy. 

And, I can't disagree with any of it. 

15Free Will Empty Re: Free Will 12/19/2013, 12:13 am

Markle wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:I was just talking about that on Facebook. Some guy puts " I don't believe in luck, I believe in Jesus". WTH! Do people seriously believe there is some entity in the sky watching over everything you do and say and guiding you to miracles and every day matters? Seriously?

Where do you get your moral guidance from?  Whatever feels good at the moment?  That does explain most Progressives and Heathens.

Why does it matter to me? It puzzles me people would believe in something that makes no sense and has no proven basis. Why not believe in something more logical? Why would you think you have to have religion to have moral guidance?There are good people who walk the earth everyday who do not believe in any supernatural beings. You sound like you're saying you can only be moral if you have religion. Ridiculous.

16Free Will Empty Re: Free Will 12/19/2013, 12:14 am

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

The Bible speaks of the virus that infests the human program...

James 4

King James Version (KJV)

4 From whence come wars and fightings among you? come they not hence, even of your lusts that war in your members?

2 Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not.

3 Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts.

4 Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.

5 Do ye think that the scripture saith in vain, The spirit that dwelleth in us lusteth to envy?

6 But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.

7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

8 Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.

So basically the world is a virus...LOL

17Free Will Empty Re: Free Will 12/19/2013, 12:17 am

Chrissy wrote:well, I got to go to sleep so heres my 2cents.

I believe we have free will. And i believe in God. God gave us free will and also gave us the intelligence/conscience to make choices when presented with signs(commercials sent from God Wink )  or even tools ( ie scripture etc ) and situations.

with that said. I don't necessarily buy into organized religion. believing in God does not have to be connected with organized religion as far as I am concerned. I think things have been added and/or taken away from the tools used today which is mostly one bible or another which is so easy to change the meaning by just adding a word here or there.

Free will exist, God does too. its up to each of us to make a choice. This is exactly why bad things happen in Gods world. People were given the right to make choices. Or else there would be no test of faith and like you said, we would all just be a bunch of little robots frolicking around eating apples.

So why would a God who gave us intelligence expect us to believe in unintelligent things like the scriptures which contradict themselves every which way ? So if God gave us a conscience what happened to the people who have none? God slipped up?

18Free Will Empty Re: Free Will 12/19/2013, 12:19 am

Hey how about this vengeful God who killed all the first borns and spread plaque and other maladies across the land? How do you like that God?

19Free Will Empty Re: Free Will 12/19/2013, 12:23 am

Markle

Markle

Dreamsglore wrote:
Chrissy wrote:well, I got to go to sleep so heres my 2cents.

So why would a God who gave us intelligence expect us to believe in unintelligent things like the scriptures which contradict themselves every which way ? So if God gave us a conscience what happened to the people who have none? God slipped up?

Why do you care?

As one who believes in God, I also believe in the Devil.

20Free Will Empty Re: Free Will 12/19/2013, 12:24 am

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Dreamsglore wrote:Hey how about this vengeful God who killed all the first borns and spread plaque and other maladies across the land? How do you like that God?

You make the mistake of being a program questioning the programmer. Is it not the right of the programmer to erase his program if it doesn't perform as it is written or modify it as often and in what way he desires it to behave ? Life he gives, life he takes but he is above all that happens and simply changes code to suit his desire. It is silliness itself to question God, but have at it, all men think they have that right, but don't.

21Free Will Empty Re: Free Will 12/19/2013, 12:30 am

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Markle wrote:

Where do you get your moral guidance from?  Whatever feels good at the moment?  That does explain most Progressives and Heathens.

"He who is without sin among you, let him be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

22Free Will Empty Re: Free Will 12/19/2013, 12:36 am

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

John 7: 24 Look beneath the surface so you can judge correctly.”

23Free Will Empty Re: Free Will 12/19/2013, 12:38 am

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:Hey how about this vengeful God who killed all the first borns and spread plaque and other maladies across the land? How do you like that God?

You make the mistake of being a program questioning the programmer. Is it not the right of the programmer to erase his program if it doesn't perform as it is written or modify it as often and in what way he desires it to behave ? Life he gives, life he takes but he is above all that happens and simply changes code to suit his desire. It is silliness itself to question God, but have at it, all men think they have that right, but don't.

Sp that's your answer to a God who gave us the intelligence to question the nonsensical? I don't buy those silly responses.

24Free Will Empty Re: Free Will 12/19/2013, 12:42 am

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Good discussions on this thread. I think Teo nailed it with many of his posts.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

25Free Will Empty Re: Free Will 12/19/2013, 12:50 am

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Dreamsglore wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:

Sp that's your answer to a God who gave us the intelligence to question the nonsensical? I don't buy those silly responses.

Isaiah 55:9

New International Version (NIV)

9 “As the heavens are higher than the earth,
   so are my ways higher than your ways
   and my thoughts than your thoughts.

I think God is rather patient with a program that has morphed into malware and goes about destroying firewalls like homosexuality, abortion and all other lusts that compromise program integrity. We were designed to be happy and healthy but WE decide to rewrite the original program and branch our love for god, which is programmed in us into evolution and all other manner of god replacements. You call it nonsense because your concept of god is first a man and probably a senile old man. You don't even like men being in charge in the first place so your concept of god would annoy you ..LOL.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum