Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Fixing End-of-Life Care

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Fixing End-of-Life Care Empty Fixing End-of-Life Care 12/1/2013, 9:05 pm

at a meeting in DC....................

Experts at the U.S. News Hospital of Tomorrow conference discuss how health care professional can better manage palliative care

A quarter of Medicare dollars are spent on patients who are in the final year of their lives, according to the Center for Medicare & Medicaid Services. In a Tuesday afternoon break-out session during Hospital of Tomorrow titled "Fixing End-of-Life Care," experts discussed how patients could live well during their final days or months, and how health care professionals could intervene in ways outside the hospital. They concluded that people prefer a life that has greater quality over one that is longer.

They may choose to focus on managing their pain rather than deciding to undergo a particular procedure in which death is highly probable, Hoefer said.

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/hospital-of-tomorrow/articles/2013/11/05/fixing-end-of-life-care

sounds like a death panel is needed to make some new rules about who and when end of life treatment is worthy.Wink 

2Fixing End-of-Life Care Empty Re: Fixing End-of-Life Care 12/1/2013, 11:53 pm

2seaoat

sounds like a death panel is needed to make some new rules about who and when end of life treatment is worthy.Wink

As anybody who has recently lost an elderly parent knows......they exist right now. Insurance companies, hospitals, family, and even patients are choosing not to give end of lifers every possible alternative to extend life. At some point we need to worry about one thing.......QUALITY......and more and more families and patients are not choosing intrusive end of life procedures. There will be tremendous savings for our entire system if we can discuss the ethical limits of extension and how utterly poor the quality is in that extension. This debate has been going on independent of the Affordable Care Act, and it will still be going on when we migrate to Medicare for all.

3Fixing End-of-Life Care Empty Re: Fixing End-of-Life Care 12/2/2013, 1:59 am

Markle

Markle

Chrissy wrote:at a meeting in DC....................

Experts at the U.S. News Hospital of Tomorrow conference discuss how health care professional can better manage palliative care

A quarter of Medicare dollars are spent on patients who are in the final year of their lives, according to the Center for Medicare & Medicaid Services. In a Tuesday afternoon break-out session during Hospital of Tomorrow titled "Fixing End-of-Life Care," experts discussed how patients could live well during their final days or months, and how health care professionals could intervene in ways outside the hospital. They concluded that people prefer a life that has greater quality over one that is longer.

They may choose to focus on managing their pain rather than deciding to undergo a particular procedure in which death is highly probable, Hoefer said.

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/hospital-of-tomorrow/articles/2013/11/05/fixing-end-of-life-care

Chief medical adviser to President Barack Hussein Obama has already established rules along with even a graph showing who gets the most care and who gets the least.  You might be surprised, the very young get as little as the very old.

Here is Dr. Ezekiel Emanuel's plan for rationing health care and planning the death panels.

It is called the Complete Lives System.
Fixing End-of-Life Care DrEmanualProbabilityofreceivinganintervention

4Fixing End-of-Life Care Empty Re: Fixing End-of-Life Care 12/2/2013, 10:22 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

One of my oldest friends came back to town at Thanksgiving to help care for his 95 year old father who was put in a nursing home two weeks ago.
This man had a living will which prohibited a feeding tube.
Late last week he stopped eating.  The doctor in charge talked his oldest son (the one who had been the local caregiver)  into putting him on a feeding tube.  The man desperately tried to pull out the feeding tube and he was physically restrained and forced to have the artificial feeding.
After two days my friend, his other son,  and a third son who came in from Atlanta said enough is enough and overruled the doctor and the oldest son and had the feeding tube removed.  The man died Saturday night.

I can relate to this because a doctor convinced me to put my father on a ventilator at the end of his life even though my father also had a living will.

I don't have children to overrule my living will.  But I also don't have children to make certain that no doctor will put me through this at the end of my life either.  
The most undignified thing that can happen to a human being is for doctors to keep him alive only because it's profitable to do so.

5Fixing End-of-Life Care Empty Re: Fixing End-of-Life Care 12/2/2013, 10:47 am

2seaoat

The most undignified thing that can happen to a human being is for doctors to keep him alive only because it's profitable to do so.

This is our overwhelming family experience. My father in law who was 88 had renal failure and only had 10% blood flow. He was not overly uncomfortable, but the doctors pushed surgery. He lived the last three months in pain and discomfort being poked and prodded. He probably would have only lived 2 months without surgery, but a quarter of a million dollars was spent on hospital stays and surgery during those last three months. We talk about death panels.........we need to be talking about vampire panels.....where a victim of this broken system are kept breathing so as much money can be extracted from the system, and quality of life decisions become secondary. It is shameful. We need ethical guidelines when the efficacy and cost of elder procedures make little or NO sense.

6Fixing End-of-Life Care Empty Re: Fixing End-of-Life Care 12/2/2013, 11:09 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I have a living will. But what I really would like to have available to me is legal doctor assisted suicide like Dr. Kevorkian wanted us to have.
But the doctors don't want that because of their "hippocritic oath" and because a doctor assisted suicide is not profitable for the medical/industrial complex. And the bible thumpers don't want that because they believe Jesus wants us to suffer at the end of our lives like he did.

Screw "death panels". I want to be my own goddamned death panel. I want to be the "decider" like Bush.

7Fixing End-of-Life Care Empty Re: Fixing End-of-Life Care 12/2/2013, 11:37 am

2seaoat

But the doctors don't want that because of their "hippocritic oath" and because a doctor assisted suicide is not profitable for the medical/industrial complex.

Bob,

You got me thinking. You and I need to go to the shark tank. We have to get Hallmark to fix up Erics boat, and we need to purchase a mothballed cruise ship and anchor it 30 miles south of Pensacola. We need to hire a physician who is cool with medical assisted suicides and have him order all his drugs from a Scandinavian nation who has no problem with assisted suicides. The drugs would be picked up and delivered to the boat never reaching American territorial waters. Eric would shuttle the passengers out to the cruise ship using his boat as a tender. The boat would have a SKELETON crew, and full cremation facilities. It would have a hundred rooms where family members could spend a week at sea with their loved one......say their goodbyes.......let them push Dr. K's death machine, cremate, and spread the ashes at sea. This would be packaged where the whole procedure was less than the cost of a standard funeral.

I am serious......Mark Cuban would make us an offer.....we would call it serendipity cruise line. Eric would also bring food, fuel, and water......we may need a bigger tender, but we will ask Cuban for 20 million and give him half of the venture.

8Fixing End-of-Life Care Empty Re: Fixing End-of-Life Care 12/2/2013, 11:46 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Eric sold his boat several months ago.

Where can we get those cyanide pills like the ones in old war movies.  The ones where all they had to do was bite into the pill and then they dropped dead.   And I'm serious about that too.  
That would cover some contingencies.  But not the ones where we are immobilized and can't get the pill to our mouths.  Then we would still need the doctor to assist.

Or since Chrissy is younger than us and would like to see us dead anyway,  maybe we could pay her in advance to blow our brains out when we give her the go ahead.  But could we trust her to do it.  She might just let them put us on feeding tubes and ventilators instead since that's what her idols in the medical/industrial complex would want.

We need a workable plan.  And yes I'm serious about that too.

Last edited by Bob on 12/2/2013, 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total

9Fixing End-of-Life Care Empty Re: Fixing End-of-Life Care 12/2/2013, 11:53 am

2seaoat

maybe we could pay her in advance to blow our brains out

She misses the target Too much....you would go into the after life with an ear missing, a shorter pinky finger, and a shattered shin bone......and because she does not think things through.....she would run out of ammo and have to finish you off with a baseball bat.....my suggestion is to go to plan B.

10Fixing End-of-Life Care Empty Re: Fixing End-of-Life Care 12/2/2013, 11:56 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

lol

11Fixing End-of-Life Care Empty Re: Fixing End-of-Life Care 12/2/2013, 12:02 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote: you would go into the after life with an ear missing, a shorter pinky finger, and a shattered shin bone.
Somehow I don't think a missing ear or a shorter pinky finger or a shattered shin bone is gonna be my biggest worry when the rest of my body is floating in a lake of fire.  lol

12Fixing End-of-Life Care Empty Re: Fixing End-of-Life Care 12/2/2013, 2:13 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Bob wrote:Eric sold his boat several months ago.

Where can we get those cyanide pills like the ones in old war movies.  The ones where all they had to do was bite into the pill and then they dropped dead.   And I'm serious about that too.  
That would cover some contingencies.  But not the ones where we are immobilized and can't get the pill to our mouths.  Then we would still need the doctor to assist.

Or since Chrissy is younger than us and would like to see us dead anyway,  maybe we could pay her in advance to blow our brains out when we give her the go ahead.  But could we trust her to do it.  She might just let them put us on feeding tubes and ventilators instead since that's what her idols in the medical/industrial complex would want.

We need a workable plan.  And yes I'm serious about that too.
Fixing End-of-Life Care Water-hemlock

http://www.natureskills.com/outdoor-safety/water-hemlock/
Water Hemlock | Deadly Plants

"Water Hemlock and its close relations are the most poisonous deadly plants in North America. All parts are deadly poisonous. Even a small mouthful of water hemlock can kill an adult..."

13Fixing End-of-Life Care Empty Re: Fixing End-of-Life Care 12/2/2013, 2:47 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Floridatexan wrote:

"Water Hemlock and its close relations are the most poisonous deadly plants in North America. All parts are deadly poisonous. Even a small mouthful of water hemlock can kill an adult..."
Tex, you just totally redeemed yourself for all those silly 9/11 truther posts.
That is excellent to know and I had no clue about it until this. I'll do some research on how to find me some water hemlock.

14Fixing End-of-Life Care Empty Re: Fixing End-of-Life Care 12/2/2013, 3:15 pm

So glad you guys are having fun planning your deaths.

To bad you dont understand the difference between making life and death decisions such as we have always done and having a set of criteria that means you no longer will get treatment if you want it, but instead will get cohersed into just taking a pill, and yes the physicians cohersing you will get paid to do it. Glad you like this idea. You see it means now that the gov ispretty much running private insurance, it wont be long before the gov also tells them what to cover too. ie: some bodies shots, chemo etc etc

so Im so happy yall are happy about it. Like I said, youll get what you deserve.

On a side note. I thought I would give you some more news to rejoice over. See how much happiness I bring you all? A little piece of my flesh goes such a long ways. Smile

I got into work today to the new 2014 fee schedule. and we took a HUGE cut AGAIN. NOw the sona bitches are creating some benefit payment ploy that will make it profitable for doctors to not let you have a biopsy. This should be great news to all the haters of medicine.

http://www.cap.org/apps/docs/advocacy/comments/clc_comments_pfs_2014.pdf

http://www.cap.org/apps/docs/advocacy/letters/pathology_cuts_letter_cms.pdf

http://www.cap.org/apps/docs/advocacy/letters/cms_1600P_2014_proposed_rules.pdf

http://www.cap.org/apps/cap.portaL?_nfpb=true&cntvwrPtlt_actionOverride=%2Fportlets%2FcontentViewer%2Fshow&_windowLabel=cntvwrPtlt&cntvwrPtlt%7BactionForm.contentReference%7D=advocacy%2Fpfs_resource_center.html&_state=maximized&_pageLabel=cntvwr

3 cheers and a hurray for down with the evil healthcare system.. whohooo!

cheers cheers cheers 

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum