This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

End of life elder care through medicare is bankrupting the fund

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

I went on Medicare in December. I have had two surgeries to my liver since going on Medicare. It cost over a hundred thousand dollars. I have at most one year to live. If I live two years, or I die in six months because I did not have those surgeries......how does a society make these choices?

We heard about the horrors of death panels in the ACA. These were lies. However, the concept needs to be addressed, and not in an ad hoc or random way. As a society we need to set limits on Medicare coverage. I think this is a toxic subject to be debated in Congress, but if they do not have the gonads, then medical panels must be established which set limits on the type of care of end of life elder care. I would be very sad to lose six months of life, but at what cost can society pay for the same? It is an unpleasant discussion but I remember my uncle three years ago having this scumbag doctor come in and try to convince my cousin for him to have an operation which could give him thirty more days. I left the hospital room because I was so mad, but it was not my place. My cousin who worked her way up from an operator for Bell South to top management with Bell South took control of the situation and asked that my uncle be made comfortable, but he will have no more intrusions or medical procedures. He died six hours later. This ethical discussion must be part of any health care reform. I am not suggesting somebody put me on an iceberg, but I am simply asking that rules need to be established to stop a blank check in end of life treatment. The whole system could collapse without the same.

View user profile
Don't worry about it, those negotiated rates Medicare is paying are nothing, besides UHC and I believe another insurer sets limits on what they will pay for certain cancer's. I can't believe Medicare never put a lifetime max on it, that is why we need to lower the age to at least 50 so healthy one's are paying into the system.

When the doc tells you that's all they can do for you I am sure Medicare will have had a say so in that.

View user profile
I think lowering the age to 50 is a smashing good idea and agree it would be great for the system's financial health, besides being great for early retirees, which also creates more room in the working world for younger employees. A win win all around. I'm not sure why this idea, which has been floated numerous times, doesn't take off, other than maybe some knee-jerk conservatives' considering it another entitlement to be avoided at all costs. Very short-sighted if so.

Sea, listen to ppaca as he knows what he's talking about, and don't overly fret about end of life care, especially not yours. Smile Your life has value and as a society we do realize that.

View user profile
RealLindaL wrote:I think lowering the age to 50 is a smashing good idea and agree it would be great for the system's financial health, besides being great for early retirees, which also creates more room in the working world for younger employees. A win win all around.  I'm  not sure why this idea, which has been floated numerous times, doesn't take off, other than maybe some knee-jerk conservatives' considering it another entitlement to be avoided at all costs.  Very short-sighted if so.

Sea, listen to ppaca as he knows what he's talking about, and don't overly fret about end of life care, especially not yours.  Smile   Your life has value and as a society we do realize that.

cheers cheers

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum