Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Today

+8
PBulldog2
cool1
Jake92
stormwatch89
2seaoat
boards of FL
Sal
Joanimaroni
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

51Today - Page 3 Empty Re: Today 11/28/2013, 11:35 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Sal wrote:OMG!!

Is that all-you-can-eat deviled eggs?

Good gawd, how do you get an invite to that shindig??
Man, I love deviled eggs....... I usually eat out the centers and leave the whites, LOL!

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

52Today - Page 3 Empty Re: Today 11/29/2013, 1:22 am

cool1

cool1

My Turkey stuffed me  Shocked  --  I have a small table I thought everything was on the table and guess what --I had fixed a tray of deviled eggs and you know what I did Yep I fixed them the night before and forgot to put the darn things out -now I have like two trays of deviled eggs to eat Mad .

Later went to Target around 7pm Shocked  and I wont do that again !!! The line was sooooo long and it was cold so we left and got a cup of coffee and went back after the people went in. I got what I was looking for and left well leaving we went through a few isles of people they had lined to for check outs but it wasn't to bad and no one wanted what I was looking for so that went well Laughing

53Today - Page 3 Empty Re: Today 11/29/2013, 2:12 am

RealLindaL

In "the old days" (before hubby and I moved down here) I used to always cook a big Thanksgiving dinner, even after the nest was empty  But once we came here it seemed less important -- and the more the years piled on, the less our waistlines could deal with piling on the leftovers.  So we started going out to eat on Thanksgiving, finding many, many others doing the same thing.   A few years into that new habit, though, we found we were missing not having SOME leftovers, especially the ever-wonderful turkey sandwich on the ever-forbidden white bread (with lettuce and mayo, of course).   So as of recent years I buy a  big ol' turkey breast and roast it in the convection oven right after breakfast on Thanksgiving morning, which of course fills the house with that signature aroma and gets us in the mood.   After it's done I just throw it in the fridge, and we go on out for our dinner in early afternoon.  

Besides turkey sands whenever we want them over the ensuing few days, I use the breast meat to do up a "phony" leftovers dinner on Friday night.  I do make real mashed potatoes (a rare treat in this house these days) and a veggie of some sort, but "cheat" with Stove Top stuffing (reduced sodium variety) and plain  canned cranberry sauce.  We make our own pie or pies (depending on who feels like baking what -- I did a new [to me] Southern Nut Pie yesterday and hubby may yet do up a pumpkin).  

Then on Sunday I'll make my traditional Turkey-Barley Soup from the breast carcass and any remaining meat, and usually freeze half of the soup for future meals.

So anyway, I guess we still end up with far too many calories and forbidden fruit "white stuff" over the holiday weekend, but it's way less than we used to have when I cooked a huge whole turkey and a ton of my apple-walnut stuffing. not to mention other sides.

Ichi, I think your spread looked faboo.   The restaurant today had sort of deviled eggs, but the cook put something way too liquid in the mix and they were kinda runny.  I've never done deviled eggs at all, much less for Thanksgiving, but may have to  learn.  Done right, they are sooo good.

What was definitely NOT the icing on the cake (pie?) today was the fact that my car wouldn't start (have had some troubles creeping up for a while) and we had to take our truck to dinner instead.  Called for a tow into the shop for tomorrow (Friday) morning.   Hubby's tentative diagnosis is a bad starter.  Always something.  $$$   Sad 

Goodnight all.  Glad to read all these posts and find that most if not all had a fine Thanksgiving.  Wishing you similar happiness for the balance of the holiday season.   __LL

54Today - Page 3 Empty Re: Today 11/29/2013, 7:23 am

Nekochan

Nekochan

RealLinda, that sounds about like what we have done when the kids weren't with us for Thanksgiving.  Hubby must have his turkey.  So if we are in a house where we have an oven and dishes, etc, which has not always been the case during the holidays for us, I have to at least roast a turkey breast.    The best Thanksgiving meal outside of home we've ever had was at the dining hall at Fort Rucker, AL.    It was incredibly good.  But -- no leftovers. Crying or Very sad 

Joani, having both kids here yesterday was great.  It makes me know that us moving back to Florida was the right move.   And..I actually used the convection part of my microwave oven!  I have been wondering how the dang thing works but really have had no need to use it.   Well, I started out baking Pillsbury cinnamon rolls in it for breakfast yesterday morning and then I cooked a couple of the casseroles in it while the turkey was still roasting in the main oven.   It's nice to have that extra space to bake when the turkey is taking up the oven space.

55Today - Page 3 Empty Re: Today 11/29/2013, 12:46 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Nekochan wrote:RealLinda, that sounds about like what we have done when the kids weren't with us for Thanksgiving.  Hubby must have his turkey.  So if we are in a house where we have an oven and dishes, etc, which has not always been the case during the holidays for us, I have to at least roast a turkey breast.    The best Thanksgiving meal outside of home we've ever had was at the dining hall at Fort Rucker, AL.    It was incredibly good.  But -- no leftovers. Crying or Very sad 

Joani, having both kids here yesterday was great.  It makes me know that us moving back to Florida was the right move.   And..I actually used the convection part of my microwave oven!  I have been wondering how the dang thing works but really have had no need to use it.   Well, I started out baking Pillsbury cinnamon rolls in it for breakfast yesterday morning and then I cooked a couple of the casseroles in it while the turkey was still roasting in the main oven.   It's nice to have that extra space to bake when the turkey is taking up the oven space.
I will never be in a situation where we will not have a full house for Thanksgiving, unless we go out of town. Five members were in Ft. Myers this year and we still had a full house.

I remember as a child my grandfather wanted to ease the burden on my grandmother ( we called her mother) and my mom, a Thanksgiving where they were relaxed, waited on, and pampered. He said, they work to hard on Thanksgiving, so Papa took us all out for Thanksgiving dinner. The food was good but it wasn't like we would have had at home. The saddest part was mother and mom, while smiling and pleasant they just didn't look very happy and festive. They truly missed what they loved doing.......preparing a feast for the people they loved. Papa admitted he made the biggest mistake ever, he broke mother's heart trying to be helpful. He also, like the rest of us missed the late night turkey and dressing sandwich.

Thanksgiving to me, is a labor of love built around years of tradition. Excitement centered around our family and friends, while watching the kids run around laughing and playing. A football game on TV, loud squeals, laughter, and constant chatter. An over crowded kichen as everyone squeezes in to do their routine part for the feast.

56Today - Page 3 Empty Re: Today 11/29/2013, 1:09 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

I just finished a meal of letovers. It was very good......

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

57Today - Page 3 Empty Re: Today 11/29/2013, 1:47 pm

cool1

cool1

Me  to but just Turkey sandwich --Later the meal comes Laughing

58Today - Page 3 Empty Re: Today 11/29/2013, 4:33 pm

boards of FL

boards of FL

THAT is how you do a turkey.  This was 2 hours in while basting.

Today - Page 3 5Aht5CP

59Today - Page 3 Empty Re: Today 11/29/2013, 4:43 pm

Sal

Sal

Whoa ....

... a bacon bird!

60Today - Page 3 Empty Re: Today 11/29/2013, 5:03 pm

Sal wrote:Whoa ....

... a bacon bird!
I did that last year weaving it around the whole bird... This year I cooked it w bacon on top like boards... but turned the bird over half way. I think it was better... but wasn't as pretty on the table (it flattens the breasts). Just apple, union, garlic inside.

I think the most important thing is to not overcook it.

Edit: I also used toothpicks through the bacon last year... that might be a good idea... though it's speculation.

61Today - Page 3 Empty Re: Today 11/29/2013, 5:13 pm

boards of FL

boards of FL

You're not supposed to eat the bacon after using it on a bird like this. It's only meant to help keep the breast moist and then add savoriness (is that a word?) to the gravy.

62Today - Page 3 Empty Re: Today 11/29/2013, 5:39 pm

boards of FL wrote:You're not supposed to eat the bacon after using it on a bird like this. It's only meant to help keep the breast moist and then add savoriness (is that a word?) to the gravy.
Lol... it never occurred to me to eat the bacon. What gave you that idea? You ever cooked large game birds?

Goose is particularly difficult. I'm drawing on a diverse experience... some good... some bad. Ignore at will.

63Today - Page 3 Empty Re: Today 11/29/2013, 5:48 pm

boards of FL

boards of FL

When you mentioned toothpicks, I assumed your intention was to keep the bacon and skin attached at serving.  You know what they say about assumptions.

They make an ass out of you.....and umptions.

64Today - Page 3 Empty Re: Today 11/29/2013, 6:16 pm

boards of FL wrote:When you mentioned toothpicks, I assumed your intention was to keep the bacon and skin attached at serving.  You know what they say about assumptions.

They make an ass out of you.....and umptions.
Look up goose or other fat layer birds... there are techniques. I'm not inventing the wheel here.

65Today - Page 3 Empty Re: Today 11/29/2013, 7:35 pm

knothead

knothead

Reading all the forum comments about cooking the 'bird' I was curious as to whether or not anyone brines their turkey? We started doing this about 4-5 years ago and wouldn't consider NOT doing so . . . . it literally kicks up both the taste and the moisture content of the bird.  This year, for the first time, we did our regular brine process and then injected it with our home made concoction . . . OMG it was awesome.  We made certain the bird was dry and let it sit out long enough to get to room temp before dropping it into the fryer.  Three minutes per pound at 350 degree oil and it's ready!

Lastly, I sincerely hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday!

66Today - Page 3 Empty Re: Today 11/29/2013, 7:57 pm

I have a lots to be thankful for.  Some of my thanksgivings have been less than stellar. A few I spent alone with turkey and dressing the last thing on my mind.  Not all the hard times had anything to do with the Military, they were the result of poor choices I had made. But I remember a Thanksgiving at Fort Hood Texas and I had to go to a outstation  very early on Thanksgiving day.  It was freezing and we were in a open Jeep with just a canvas top and no side curtains. As we passed a farm house I could see the people all gathered around preparing for the Thanksgiving meal.  I thought "Damn!!  That is what I want to do"  It took a long time with many setbacks, but yesterday I made it to the small Farm House in Texas.  I am thankful, I am a lucky man....

67Today - Page 3 Empty Re: Today 11/29/2013, 8:01 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Mr Ichi wrote:I have a lots to be thankful for.  Some of my thanksgivings have been less than stellar. A few I spent alone with turkey and dressing the last thing on my mind.  Not all the hard times had anything to do with the Military, they were the result of poor choices I had made. But I remember a Thanksgiving at Fort Hood Texas and I had to go to a outstation  very early on Thanksgiving day.  It was freezing and we were in a open Jeep with just a canvas top and no side curtains. As we passed a farm house I could see the people all gathered around preparing for the Thanksgiving meal.  I thought "Damn!!  That is what I want to do"  It took a long time with many setbacks, but yesterday I made it to the small Farm House in Texas.  I am thankful, I am a lucky man....
So happy for you!

68Today - Page 3 Empty Re: Today 11/29/2013, 8:18 pm

Mr Ichi wrote:I have a lots to be thankful for.  Some of my thanksgivings have been less than stellar. A few I spent alone with turkey and dressing the last thing on my mind.  Not all the hard times had anything to do with the Military, they were the result of poor choices I had made. But I remember a Thanksgiving at Fort Hood Texas and I had to go to a outstation  very early on Thanksgiving day.  It was freezing and we were in a open Jeep with just a canvas top and no side curtains. As we passed a farm house I could see the people all gathered around preparing for the Thanksgiving meal.  I thought "Damn!!  That is what I want to do"  It took a long time with many setbacks, but yesterday I made it to the small Farm House in Texas.  I am thankful, I am a lucky man....
Smile 

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum