Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

HIGH SPEED RAIL...Remember when Gov. Rick Scott was brutalized by the Progressives for turning down the BILLIONS for a HIGH SPEED LINE in Florida

+5
cool1
stormwatch89
Nekochan
2seaoat
Markle
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Markle

Markle

Progressives, remember when you were going ballistic, calling Gov. Rick Scott all sorts of names for turning down BILLIONS of dollars for an unneeded, unaffordable HIGH SPEED RAIL LINE.

Progressives complained the money would go elsewhere...and it did...for a while...to California.  The ignorance of California is something to behold.  California is BILLIONS in debt and wanted to go deeper with another unaffordable High Speed Rail Line.

Fortunately, SOMEONE in California has some common sense even if their government does not.

State and Local

California judge cuts off state funding for high-speed train venture

By Barnini Chakraborty
• Published November 26, 2013•
FoxNews.com

WASHINGTON –  A California judge has slammed the brakes on funding a pricey high-speed train project, in a move that could put the entire Los Angeles-to-San Francisco line in jeopardy.

The ruling Monday, by California Superior Court Judge Michael Kenny, was greeted as good news by critics of the ambitious but costly rail proposal.

Rep. Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., the House majority whip, called the high-speed train an “unworkable boondoggle” and said Tuesday he’ll work with his colleagues in Congress to deny federal funding for it as well.

“The ruling marks yet another self-inflicted setback for the California High-Speed Rail Authority and a small victory for California taxpayers,” McCarthy told FoxNews.com. “The CHSRA has failed at every turn to detail a realistic plan that will fund this program. With no private funds, unreliable ridership numbers and the reliance on taxpayers to eventually bail the project out – it should not move forward.”

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/11/26/california-judge-cuts-off-state-funding-for-high-speed-train-venture/

Once again Gov. Rick Scott proves to be 100% right and the Progressives will forget this ever happened.

2seaoat

Actually high speed rail makes sense......but only in the Boston to Washington corridor.

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:Actually high speed rail makes sense......but only in the Boston to Washington corridor.
Quite true.  How did we agree on anything?

The Acela Corridor has a population of about 42 million people.

The corridor served by the Acela Express consists of:

New York Metropolitan Area  19 million

Washington 5.5 million

Boston 7.4 million

Baltimore 2.7 million

Philadelphia 6.1 million

Providence R.I. 1.6 million

Total 42.6 million people concentrated in an area roughly on third or one quarter the size of Florida

Tampa, St. Pete, Clearwater 2.7 million

Orlando 2.0 million

Total of 4.7 MILLION

Population of Florida:  18.8 million people 

Nekochan

Nekochan

I LOVE high speed rail.  I used it in Japan.  But you need a very large population at both ends and along the route.  Japan has nearly half the population of the US in an area that's less than the size of CA.

It simply does not make sense in most areas of the US.

Markle wrote:Progressives, remember when you were going ballistic, calling Gov. Rick Scott all sorts of names for turning down BILLIONS of dollars for an unneeded, unaffordable HIGH SPEED RAIL LINE.

Progressives complained the money would go elsewhere...and it did...for a while...to California.  The ignorance of California is something to behold.  California is BILLIONS in debt and wanted to go deeper with another unaffordable High Speed Rail Line.

Fortunately, SOMEONE in California has some common sense even if their government does not.

State and Local

California judge cuts off state funding for high-speed train venture

By Barnini Chakraborty
• Published November 26, 2013•
FoxNews.com

WASHINGTON –  A California judge has slammed the brakes on funding a pricey high-speed train project, in a move that could put the entire Los Angeles-to-San Francisco line in jeopardy.

The ruling Monday, by California Superior Court Judge Michael Kenny, was greeted as good news by critics of the ambitious but costly rail proposal.

Rep. Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., the House majority whip, called the high-speed train an “unworkable boondoggle” and said Tuesday he’ll work with his colleagues in Congress to deny federal funding for it as well.

“The ruling marks yet another self-inflicted setback for the California High-Speed Rail Authority and a small victory for California taxpayers,” McCarthy told FoxNews.com. “The CHSRA has failed at every turn to detail a realistic plan that will fund this program. With no private funds, unreliable ridership numbers and the reliance on taxpayers to eventually bail the project out – it should not move forward.”

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/11/26/california-judge-cuts-off-state-funding-for-high-speed-train-venture/

Once again Gov. Rick Scott proves to be 100% right and the Progressives will forget this ever happened.

cheers 

stormwatch89

stormwatch89

Yup, some were all over Scott for having the good sense in refusing this monstrosity.

Thank you, Gov. Scott.

Funny how reality trumps ideology at times.Cool 

stormwatch89 wrote:Yup, some were all over Scott for having the good sense in refusing this monstrosity.

Thank you, Gov. Scott.

Funny how reality trumps ideology at times.Cool 
Reality almost always trumps ideology... it just gets ignored... then they move right on to the next govt solution.

2seaoat wrote:Actually high speed rail makes sense......but only in the Boston to Washington corridor.
Gumby, that's not what the thread is about so go stifle yourself.

stormwatch89

stormwatch89

PACEDOG#1 wrote:
[b]
Gumby, that's not what the thread is about so go stifle yourself.
[/b

SO, as I recall was hugely in favor of it at the time for Florida.

Yet, he doesn't make mistakes, just alters his statements a tad like BHO.Sleep

Last edited by stormwatch89 on 11/27/2013, 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total

cool1

cool1

High speed --How fast is this train suppose to go I wonder -some cant stay on the tracks now -- Surprised

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

I recall the comments.....Scott was a job killer for not taking advantage of the rail system...it was going to provide thousands of jobs.

stormwatch89

stormwatch89

[quote="Joanimaroni"]I recall the comments.....Scott was a job killer for not taking advantage of the rail system...it was going to provide thousands of jobs. [/quote

I was trying to give him a little wiggle room, Joani, but yup, I too, remember!

Nekochan

Nekochan

stormwatch89 wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:I recall the comments.....Scott was a job killer for not taking advantage of the rail system...it was going to provide thousands of jobs. [/quote

I was trying to give him a little wiggle room, Joani, but yup,  I too, remember!
You know that he'll twist it around and claim that he said something different.   And then he'll call us all racists and Dixiecrats. Rolling Eyes

stormwatch89

stormwatch89

Nekochan wrote:
stormwatch89 wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:I recall the comments.....Scott was a job killer for not taking advantage of the rail system...it was going to provide thousands of jobs. [/quote

I was trying to give him a little wiggle room, Joani, but yup,  I too, remember!
You know that he'll twist it around and claim that he said something different.   And then he'll call us all racists and Dixiecrats. Rolling Eyes

cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers 

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Lol.....I remember Neko said something to the fact....after the railroad is built there is only one person driving the train.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Joanimaroni wrote:Lol.....I remember Neko said something to the fact....after the railroad is built there is only one person driving the train.
I don't remember saying that but I do remember someone, and I think it was Joani, who pointed out that people who take the train have no means of transportation at their destination.  Which is an excellent point because areas that have successful high speed rail connect to cities that have an extensive system of local mass transit.  For Americans to use a system, it has to be more convenient and/or cheaper than taking their car.

cool1

cool1

180 mph----- Please do not drink and drive this thing---And for goodness sake don't get stuck on RR tracks!---can you imagine trying to stop something going that fast Shocked

Nekochan

Nekochan

The high speed rail tracks in Japan are elevated and do not require highway crossings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZjYL847KnI&list=TLz4zgeHty9TY

cool1

cool1

cool video---200 mph---Shocked

Nekochan

Nekochan

Then there is the cost.  Taking the Shinkansen in Japan is not cheap.  As I recall, a one way ticket between Tokyo and Osaka (less than 300 miles) costs around $150.

Last edited by Nekochan on 11/27/2013, 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

In Seoul they have people called pushers at each door of the train. When the last person crams in the pushers go to work and get 10 or 12 more people pushed in.

Nekochan

Nekochan

They also have pushers for the local trains in Japan.  Not for high speed trains though.  You must buy a ticket for a seat on the Shinkansen and on other high speed trains in Japan.

2seaoat

Nice try, but I never supported high speed rail in Florida. I have always supported the same in the Boston to Washington corridor. I however, believed as I do today that the infrastructure money should have been variable with those states who did not want to spend it on high speed rail where investments could be made in highways which would cut waste occurring because of gridlock. Bridges, additional exits, and widening projects could actually have saved more fuel than high speed, and investment in infrastructure allowed for private employment growth.

So again, high speed rail is a very good thing, but only one corridor in America makes sense at this time. However, if the nation had a connected grid, it would be utilized. The problem is that by spreading resources over areas which fail to meet population requirements, you are actually being counterproductive, and the expansion of the high speed rail system should be from the eastern corridor.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Because Scott turning down federal funds for project X is exactly the same as a California judge cutting off state funding for project Y.

Nekochan

Nekochan

boards of FL wrote:Because Scott turning down federal funds for project X is exactly the same as a California judge cutting off state funding for project Y.
It would have cost Florida lots of money for years down the road.  How long do you think the federal funds would flow?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum