Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Art of memory....

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The Art of memory.... Empty The Art of memory.... 11/12/2013, 1:39 pm

I know 2 people who have traffic memories.  One is a very successful business man, the other a super skilled craftsman.  They impressed me to the point that I tried to improve my memory.  I am still not very good but using different techniques, I have made progress.

2The Art of memory.... Empty Re: The Art of memory.... 11/12/2013, 2:23 pm

3The Art of memory.... Empty Re: The Art of memory.... 11/12/2013, 2:32 pm

2seaoat

Memory with me used to be freakish. I had family using me as a gps system to get somewhere. If I had been there once, I could get there again. I would be telling people from the back seat that they were going the wrong way. I think of memory much like a computer.....it gets filled and starts to slow down the overall response time. My short term memory is beginning to fail. I still have above average memory, but until about five years ago, I could have told you every person say in my 7th grade english class, their name, where they sat, and the spooky part.......I could remember some of their phone numbers. I have lost that ability. I am having difficulty with directions which used to be my strongest point. I have seen demonstrations of memory technique, but as a child I had no technique, just loads of memory stick in the computer.......well those sticks appear to be full.

4The Art of memory.... Empty Re: The Art of memory.... 11/12/2013, 3:08 pm

Yella

Yella

Mr Ichi wrote:I know 2 people who have  traffic memories.  One is a very successful business man, the other a super skilled craftsman.  They impressed me to the point that I tried to improve my memory.  I am still not very good but using different techniques, I have made progress.
Dang! I forgot what I was gonna post.

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

5The Art of memory.... Empty Re: The Art of memory.... 11/12/2013, 4:32 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Haha...I don't know how much I've forgotten, because, well...I forgot it.

6The Art of memory.... Empty Re: The Art of memory.... 11/12/2013, 4:56 pm

I'm able to remember almost everything I read... 99th percentile.

But I'm terrible with names unless there's an expectation I'll deal with you again soon... lol.

7The Art of memory.... Empty Re: The Art of memory.... 11/12/2013, 5:01 pm

Sal

Sal

8The Art of memory.... Empty Re: The Art of memory.... 11/12/2013, 5:05 pm

2seaoat

I'm able to remember almost everything I read... 99th percentile.

I took an amazing course in high school spring semester of my senior year in reading comprehension and speed reading. They had these machines which would black out part of the paragraph. They trained you to comprehend chunks of words rather than individual words. You got trained like Pavlov's dogs to read with large numbers of individual words. My reading comprehension and speed soared. It took a lot of the pleasure I had reading leisurely because I was trained to take chunks and not savor the individual word or phrase. I still have those skills but they are well hidden. I now am maybe down to a sentence level, when entire paragraphs could be comprehended with those techniques. Memory and comprehension are like a muscle which needs to be exercised.

9The Art of memory.... Empty Re: The Art of memory.... 11/12/2013, 7:02 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

PkrBum wrote:I'm able to remember almost everything I read... 99th percentile.

But I'm terrible with names unless there's an expectation I'll deal with you again soon... lol.
The key to remembering someone's name is to LISTEN when they tell it to you.

10The Art of memory.... Empty Re: The Art of memory.... 11/12/2013, 7:21 pm

Floridatexan wrote:

I've tried. There seems to be some trigger that won't work unless there's something to tie it to. I try repeating it... using their name in the first few things I say... thinking of someone I know with that name... etc. It's even embarrassing because I meet alot of new people playing tennis and several other interests I have. Sometimes I can have completely forgotten before I'm finished talking to them... but will never forget if we interact further or plan to.

Strange

11The Art of memory.... Empty Re: The Art of memory.... 11/12/2013, 7:27 pm

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

My long term memory seems to have improved and I remember events from 50 years ago very easily but I forget where I left my car keys often.

12The Art of memory.... Empty Re: The Art of memory.... 11/12/2013, 8:05 pm

2seaoat

Sometimes I can have completely forgotten before I'm finished talking to them.

I have gotten so bad that I preface everything that I am Ill and part of my problems are loss of memory. This avoids the embarrassment, it however does not avoid the frustration of walking in circles trying to figure out the damn name, when five years ago this was a no brainer. Independent of the Illness, how do you know if in fact you are not suffering early signs of dementia.......I think of the TN basketball coach and I am about her age, and how rapidly she declined.

I have a family history of early onset dementia, and I find keeping myself stimulated mentally with poker has helped a great deal.......situational awareness and constant cognitive challenge certainly could slow the process, but if it is systemic.....like Ronald Reagan there were early warning signs, all you really are doing is forestalling the inevitable....which if you live long enough happens anyway.

13The Art of memory.... Empty Re: The Art of memory.... 11/12/2013, 8:24 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

PkrBum wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:

I've tried. There seems to be some trigger that won't work unless there's something to tie it to. I try repeating it... using their name in the first few things I say... thinking of someone I know with that name... etc. It's even embarrassing because I meet alot of new people playing tennis and several other interests I have. Sometimes I can have completely forgotten before I'm finished talking to them... but will never forget if we interact further or plan to.

Strange
The problem is that you are really not listening to them but thinking about the next thing you'll say...or what their opinion might be of you. You have to engage...not be one step ahead, and not be worried about what they'll think of you...it took me a long time to get over myself in a new social situation. It helps when your job requires you to meet many people in a given day. But my experience is that I was too concerned with what other people thought.

14The Art of memory.... Empty Re: The Art of memory.... 11/12/2013, 8:32 pm

2seaoat wrote: Sometimes I can have completely forgotten before I'm finished talking to them.

I have gotten so bad that I preface everything that I am Ill and part of my problems are loss of memory. This avoids the embarrassment, it however does not avoid the frustration of walking in circles trying to figure out the damn name, when five years ago this was a no brainer. Independent of the Illness, how do you know if in fact you are not suffering early signs of dementia.......I think of the TN basketball coach and I am about her age, and how rapidly she declined.

I have a family history of early onset dementia, and I find keeping myself stimulated mentally with poker has helped a great deal.......situational awareness and constant cognitive challenge certainly could slow the process, but if it is systemic.....like Ronald Reagan there were early warning signs, all you really are doing is forestalling the inevitable....which if you live long enough happens anyway.
That's a concern that takes place while your still doing ok. I hope you know I don't mean I'll will when I jab ya.

15The Art of memory.... Empty Re: The Art of memory.... 11/12/2013, 8:33 pm

2seaoat

I was too concerned with what other people thought.

Sometimes it is an auditory deficiency in comprehension. My wife took the kids in for preschool testing and my oldest daughter had an auditory challenge on comprehension of what somebody said. She was National Honor Society and academic awards in college, but my wife as a teacher worked on that auditory deficiency. A person could be handed a card by that person, and remember the name. We are each put together differently, and sometimes the words never get to the memory. In my case, I was good with names but simply am having difficulty with the same, even after association tricks and listening very careful.

16The Art of memory.... Empty Re: The Art of memory.... 11/12/2013, 8:37 pm

2seaoat

That's a concern that takes place while your still doing ok. I hope you know I don't mean I'll will when I jab ya.

At 90% of memory, I still feel pretty good. Kinda like Jeter going down to the minors for rehab at 90% physical ability.....he hits the ball. I have no impact at work, and no impact socially.....its just I notice the decline.

17The Art of memory.... Empty Re: The Art of memory.... 11/12/2013, 8:40 pm

Floridatexan wrote:
PkrBum wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:

Strange
The problem is that you are really not listening to them but thinking about the next thing you'll say...or what their opinion might be of you. You have to engage...not be one step ahead, and not be worried about what they'll think of you...it took me a long time to get over myself in a new social situation. It helps when your job requires you to meet many people in a given day. But my experience is that I was too concerned with what other people thought.
lol... thank you. But I'm keenly aware of my problems and I've been combatting this all of my life.

I'm intently listening... I've even tried shortening the process of name to a letter that way I don't miss anything said.

I'm not much of a talker. I don't think of what I'm going to say while I'm listening or reading... I do hear patterns tho.

18The Art of memory.... Empty Re: The Art of memory.... 11/12/2013, 9:05 pm

post it notes LOL

btw pkr, I also am not good with names, birthdays etc. I found a way to get around that by writing stuff down to jog my unconscious memory. Because apparently I don't inherently find those things important enough to remember. But I will remember the faces, the conversation in detail etc and the way I FELT when I was talking to that person.

Some will disagree but I truly believe this is a phenomenon due to being in a deeper level of emotional connection than a usual person.

19The Art of memory.... Empty Re: The Art of memory.... 11/12/2013, 9:06 pm

Chrissy wrote:post it notes LOL

btw pkr, I also am not good with names, birthdays etc. I found a way to get around that by writing stuff down to jog my unconscious memory. Because apparently I don't inherently find those things important enough to remember. But I will remember the faces, the conversation in detail etc and the way I FELT when I was talking to that person.

Some will disagree but I truly believe this is a phenomenon due to being in a deeper level of emotional connection than a usual person.

Glad you remembered to come back. Thanks

20The Art of memory.... Empty Re: The Art of memory.... 11/12/2013, 9:16 pm

Wb hunny... I didn't want to say it I guess. But of think you're right... meeting a new person isn't enough to remember their name. It does come back to haunt you though... often. I've almost quit trying... maybe it's their problem... lol.

Most people don't seem to mind... I just directly apologize and ask their name again. I don't forget after that.

21The Art of memory.... Empty Re: The Art of memory.... 11/12/2013, 9:24 pm

The Art of memory.... Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQeApIHTfv2iUvSCuld_ef-Z1hzp1Y6kyFv9K3xUQnBqhF9DQn5

I don't have any problem remembering Cheryl Tits... I mean Tiggs.

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brDpXsJLkN8

Wink 

22The Art of memory.... Empty Re: The Art of memory.... 11/12/2013, 9:27 pm

PkrBum wrote:

Wb hunny... I didn't want to say it I guess. But of think you're right... meeting a new person isn't enough to remember their name. It does come back to haunt you though... often. I've almost quit trying... maybe it's their problem... lol.

Most people don't seem to mind... I just directly apologize and ask their name again. I don't forget after that.
TY

yes. I agree, it has gotten me a few times. but usually they get over it because I'm connecting with them on some other plane. sounds weird but true. I do the same thing, usually 2nd time I don't forget if they strike me as someone worthy of remembering. I know that sounds terrible but its the truth lol

with that said. I admit. I make list and I am a post it note fanatic lol

as far as remembering bulks of information. I have to be interested in it and then wham, jam up. maybe im that way with people too hmmm

23The Art of memory.... Empty Re: The Art of memory.... 11/12/2013, 9:27 pm

Damaged Eagle wrote:The Art of memory.... Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQeApIHTfv2iUvSCuld_ef-Z1hzp1Y6kyFv9K3xUQnBqhF9DQn5

I don't have any problem remembering Cheryl Tits... I mean Tiggs.

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brDpXsJLkN8

Wink 

LOL me either

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum