Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Thanksgiving

+10
cool1
Markle
ZVUGKTUBM
Floridatexan
Ghost Rider
2seaoat
Hospital Bob
Nekochan
Sal
Joanimaroni
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Thanksgiving Empty Thanksgiving 11/11/2013, 6:18 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

What are your plans, traditions, and favorite menu items?

2Thanksgiving Empty Re: Thanksgiving 11/11/2013, 6:25 pm

Sal

Sal

No contest ...

... my grandma's white bread stuffing recipe.

Sooo much better than sage or cornbread stuffing.

If you've never had it, the preparation is quite bizarre.

You lay out your white bread slices a couple of days before making it, so the bread gets good and stale.

Then, while you're preparing the ingredients, your soak the stale bread in salt water and wring it out, so that you're left with gooey dough balls.

Every time I make it, I think to myself midway through, "this can't be right".

But it turns out and it is DELICIOUS.

I'll dig up the recipe if you're interested.

3Thanksgiving Empty Re: Thanksgiving 11/11/2013, 6:30 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Sal wrote:No contest ...

You lay out your white bread slices a couple of days before making it, so the bread gets good and stale.

Then, while you're preparing the ingredients, your soak the stale bread in salt water and wring it out, so that you're left with gooey dough balls.

I'm interested but I have to prepare my grandmother and mom's cornbread dressing. Very little sage. Cornbread, day old bisquits, celery, onion, eggs, ritz crackers and chicken broth.

My family looks forward to the dressing.

4Thanksgiving Empty Re: Thanksgiving 11/11/2013, 6:56 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

This Thanksgiving will be special for us. For the first time in years, we'll be spending Thanksgiving with both the kids.  

Turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce and the usual stuff is on the menu.  

Sal, that's interesting.  Speaking of bread, one thing I love is bread pudding but I don't think anyone else in my family would eat it.Sad    I'll  be making corn bread dressing, like Joani.

5Thanksgiving Empty Re: Thanksgiving 11/11/2013, 7:02 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

That heavenly oyster dressing my aunt made in Panama City at Thanksgiving.
And the rest of the food.  But it was the family more than the food.
I wish I could go back.

6Thanksgiving Empty Re: Thanksgiving 11/11/2013, 7:05 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Bob wrote:That heavenly oyster dressing my aunt made in Panama City at Thanksgiving.
And the rest of the food.  But it was the family more than the food.  
I wish I could go back.
My grandmother made cornbread dressing and oyster dressing. I remember it was the same as cornbread drsg but she added the oysters and the oyster juice.

7Thanksgiving Empty Re: Thanksgiving 11/11/2013, 7:16 pm

2seaoat

Sweet potatoes with tons of browned marshmellows. I would always scoop all the marshmellows. I could just eat sweet potatoes and browned and melted marshmellows and white meat from a turkey breast. However, I could also wait five hours for the cold turkey sandwich, again with white meat, and microwaved sweet potatoes.

The leftover meal later Thanksgiving day is the best.

8Thanksgiving Empty Re: Thanksgiving 11/11/2013, 7:34 pm

Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider

I have had white bread dressing and my hand me down recipe for cornbread dressing is a winner by a mile. I just cannot acquire a taste for white bread dressing.

Sorry Sal, but I just cannot handle any kind of dressing except cornbread. We do not celebrate the holidays, but we do have these types of fixins' a couple times year.

9Thanksgiving Empty Re: Thanksgiving 11/11/2013, 7:45 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

I always make a combination bread and cornbread dressing. I agree with Bob...oyster dressing is incredible. Fresh cranberry sauce. Gotta have sweet potatoes...sometimes I do the marshmallow thing, but I like them plain, with a little butter and salt. A mountain of mashed potatoes...an ocean of gravy. Those little dinner rolls. Sometimes a ham. Uh oh...I'm hungry.

10Thanksgiving Empty Re: Thanksgiving 11/11/2013, 7:48 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

A big turkey.

Taters and gravy.

Stuffing.

Black and green olives (I wish they would fit over my finger tips like they did when I was a kid).

My Mom's marinated vegetable recipe.

Pie (I will need to break my sugar fast on that day).

The wife usually also makes green-bean casserole, but I really don't care for that.

Dang, I am hungry for it all right now. The best part is eating leftovers for several days afterward.

Edited: Oh, and my wife will also do sweet potatoes, but I also pass on those.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

11Thanksgiving Empty Re: Thanksgiving 11/11/2013, 7:58 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

And, the day after Thanksgiving, for breakfast I will have everything I ate the day before during the main meal, and I will do the same for dinner.

Oh, and the smells that waft through the house as the turkey is cooking...... Dang, Joanie, I am glad you started this thread. I wasn't thinking much about Thanksgiving before I read this thread, but now I am looking forward to it!

12Thanksgiving Empty Re: Thanksgiving 11/11/2013, 7:59 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Kids and adults......I have to make mine like this.

Thanksgiving Pic9mc10

13Thanksgiving Empty Re: Thanksgiving 11/11/2013, 8:04 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:And, the day after Thanksgiving, for breakfast I will have everything I ate the day before during the main meal, and I will do the same for dinner.

Oh, and the smells that waft through the house as the turkey is cooking...... Dang, Joanie, I am glad you started this thread. I wasn't thinking much about Thanksgiving before I read this thread, but now I am looking forward to it!
I miss my mom at Thanksgiving. Every year we had to make our Thanksgiving menu and grocery list. We did this the first week of November. It didn't matter that the menu was the same every year. It never changed lol.....but writing down the menu was tradition.

14Thanksgiving Empty Re: Thanksgiving 11/11/2013, 8:06 pm

Markle

Markle

Joanimaroni wrote:

I'm interested but I have to prepare my grandmother and mom's cornbread dressing. Very little sage. Cornbread, day old bisquits, celery, onion, eggs, ritz crackers and chicken broth.

My family looks forward to the dressing.
Can't mess with tradition. Family members get their "tasters" ready all year.

15Thanksgiving Empty Re: Thanksgiving 11/11/2013, 8:09 pm

Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:And, the day after Thanksgiving, for breakfast I will have everything I ate the day before during the main meal, and I will do the same for dinner.

When I do cook a turkey I always deep fry it. I like it oven baked, but like deep fried a bit more.

16Thanksgiving Empty Re: Thanksgiving 11/11/2013, 8:12 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Thanksgiving DSCN2975

This is the little country church we always went to on Thanksgiving.  My great-grandfather and great uncle designed and built it.  The feast was in the parish hall (building you can barely see), with booths in the courtyard and skeet shooting on the back lot.  Surrounded by family...some came from other states just to be there.  Bingo in the back of the hall.  Always great food. Happy times.

My great grandfather...Ignatius Loyola Underbrink

Thanksgiving Thumb200

17Thanksgiving Empty Re: Thanksgiving 11/11/2013, 8:12 pm

Markle

Markle

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:A big turkey.

Taters and gravy.

Stuffing.

Black and green olives (I wish they would fit over my finger tips like they did when I was a kid).

My Mom's marinated vegetable recipe.

Pie (I will need to break my sugar fast on that day).

The wife usually also makes green-bean casserole, but I really don't care for that.

Dang, I am hungry for it all right now. The best part is eating leftovers for several days afterward.

Edited: Oh, and my wife will also do sweet potatoes, but I also pass on those.
I pass on NOTHING. I should but....

Leftovers are almost better than the meal itself. I LOVE cold turkey sandwiches with cold stuffing and even cranberry sauce.

18Thanksgiving Empty Re: Thanksgiving 11/11/2013, 8:12 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Ghost Rider wrote:

When I do cook a turkey I always deep fry it. I  like it oven baked, but like deep fried a bit more.
We like the fried turkey....but it is missing the giblet gravy.

19Thanksgiving Empty Re: Thanksgiving 11/11/2013, 8:13 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Joanimaroni wrote:

I miss my mom at Thanksgiving. Every year we had to make our Thanksgiving menu and grocery list. We did this the first week of November. It didn't matter that the menu was the same every year. It never changed lol.....but writing down the menu was tradition.
My Mom's marinated vege recipe was one she picked up from a friend in the mid 1960s. It afterward became a tradition during holidays, and I got her to copy the recipe down for me in the late 70s. I still have the recipe card, in her own handwriting. My Mom passed in 1996.

20Thanksgiving Empty Re: Thanksgiving 11/11/2013, 8:18 pm

2seaoat

Tex,
I love the posting of your grandfathers picture and the church he helped design and build. I would love to see folks posting pictures of their grandparents and what they did during the thanksgiving season. I will have to see If I can get the scanner working and scan some photos and look at my daughter's family tree she did in eighth grade. Thanksgiving is the celebration of family and those who came before. I will start that thread in the next few days.

21Thanksgiving Empty Re: Thanksgiving 11/11/2013, 8:21 pm

Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider

Joanimaroni wrote:
Ghost Rider wrote:

When I do cook a turkey I always deep fry it. I  like it oven baked, but like deep fried a bit more.
We like the fried turkey....but it is missing the giblet gravy.
The gravy can be made separately. That is what we do.

22Thanksgiving Empty Re: Thanksgiving 11/11/2013, 8:34 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:

My Mom's marinated vege recipe was one she picked up from a friend in the mid 1960s. It afterward became a tradition during holidays, and I got her to copy the recipe down for me in the late 70s. I still have the recipe card, in her own handwriting. My Mom passed in 1996.
That makes it so very special.

FT...beautiful church. I know you are proud.

23Thanksgiving Empty Re: Thanksgiving 11/11/2013, 8:41 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Ghost Rider wrote:

Part of Thanksgiving memories is to use my grandmother's Lisk 3 piece self basting roaster. The roaster is over 100 years old.....so old it is no longer the speckled color....it's black.

I cook a 21 - 22lb stuffed turkey @325° In the roaster, it cooks in 3 1/2hrs.

http://www.pennpollyvintage.com/blog/why-a-lisk-roaster-is-a-great-vintage-oven-roaster/411/

24Thanksgiving Empty Re: Thanksgiving 11/11/2013, 8:46 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

Love the church, FT.

Joani, that is so cool that you're still using that roaster.

25Thanksgiving Empty Re: Thanksgiving 11/11/2013, 10:11 pm

cool1

cool1

Ghost Rider wrote:

I have never tried a deep fried Turkey --I usually cook same ole stuff every year -traditional crap , im no fancy cook like Joni , I wish I could cook like Joni Razz --I do eat turkey for days after though Shocked

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum