Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

An amazing documentary but only for those who have HBO

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

It's called "Redemption" and it airs this morning at 8:25 AM
It's a made for HBO documentary and is only 40 minutes in length.
Just trust me this time when I say you'll be glad you watched it.

cool1

cool1

If you have cable what chanel

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

cool1 wrote:If you have cable what chanel
I have DirecTV, cool. Sorry but I don't know which channel it is on cable.
But it's HBO.

cool1

cool1

I will look I don't even know if I have HBO---No I don't have HBO

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

This documentary takes you to the streets of New York City and introduces you to the thousands of people who are making their living by collecting cans and bottles on the streets.  Many of them had jobs which ended during the recession.  Everything from short order cooks to computer programmers.
One man lost his job in the World Trade Center.
Others come from all parts of the world to make their living picking up bottles and cans in New York City.  One couple comes from Guatemala where they farm their crop for six months of the year.  When the crop season ends, they travel to New York City to pick up cans for the other six months.
Some are getting small social security checks and need canning to supplement that income.
They're all working their asses off to get cans and bottles they redeem for 5 cents apiece.
It's an amazing look into life on the streets. There is no preaching, no message, no politics. The story is told only by the people themselves.

Long time ago we used to go Thompson's TV shop on W and Cervantes and what the TV in the window. I wonder if Wal Mart has HBO? They should, if they dont.....I am missing out. First Seoats tells me to watch a show and now Bob. I might have to get a TV pretty soon....

cool1

cool1

Mr Ichi wrote:Long time ago we used to go Thompson's TV shop on W and Cervantes and what the TV in the window.  I wonder if Wal Mart has HBO?  They should, if they dont.....I am missing out.  First Seoats tells me to watch a show and now Bob.  I might have to get a TV pretty soon....              

Laughing

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

If you don't have HBO you will soon be able to see this documentary on commercial tv.
It's 40 minutes in length for a reason. That's so it can later be sold to commercial tv which will add 20 minutes of commercials to it to make it an hour-long program.

A few years ago when I first retired, i scrapped cars.  Prices were up and you could make from 300 to 500 dollars a vehicle. If you were luck you could do 2 or 3 a week. Sold them at auto shred after i pulled  the gas tank, battery Etc.  It was hard work but fun.  They pay in cash.  It was always neat to walk away with 4 or 5 hundred dollars in cash.  I called it "found money"  I met many of the people you are talking about.  I really want to write a book about them.  I still see some of them around todays, Dragging shit to the scraps yard in their old illegal trucks.  I would call the book "Scrap Heads"  Really a hard working, very smart group of people.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Mr Ichi wrote:A few years ago when I first retired, i scrapped cars.  Prices were up and you could make from 300 to 500 dollars a vehicle. If you were luck you could do 2 or 3 a week. Sold them at auto shred after i pulled  the gas tank, battery Etc.  It was hard work but fun.  They pay in cash.  It was always neat to walk away with 4 or 5 hundred dollars in cash.  I called it "found money"  I met many of the people you are talking about.  I really want to write a book about them.  I still see some of them around todays, Dragging shit to the scraps yard in their old illegal trucks.  I would call the book "Scrap Heads"  Really a hard working, very smart group of people.
And those people are truly "green".  
Hubby and I were watching one of those home remodeling shows a couple of years ago...this show focused on being "green" when remodeling (this was in CA, of course).  The show we watched had this young couple remodeling their house.  They put in new, "green" appliances in their kitchen. They threw the old appliances out.  Which really isn't green at all, to throw away things that still work.   But the kicker was their bathroom shower where they put in river rocks, from Indonesia.   Raping the rivers of Indonesia for rocks to put in this CA house for this young American couple to "feel good" about saving the Earth was just sad.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum