Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Deer Hunter Falls from Tree/Breaks Neck--Elects to Die Rather Than Live Paralyzed

+6
Hospital Bob
Sal
Nekochan
Markle
TEOTWAWKI
ZVUGKTUBM
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/06/us/paralyzed-indiana-deer-hunter-ends-life/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

Timothy E. Bowers, 32, of Decatur (IN) was hunting Saturday afternoon when he fell about 16 feet to the ground from a tree stand...

Bowers suffered a spine injury and paralysis, authorities said.

On Sunday, "Bowers self-elected to remove himself from life support systems and died" that evening....

Bowers was a newlywed; he married Abbey Logan on August 3...

His widow is expecting a baby....

State conservation officers urge hunters to always wear a safety harness when climbing up or down tree stands and to use a haul line to raise equipment up and down.

This year, Indiana has seen a total of seven tree-stand falls, with Bowers' fall being the only one classified as a fatality......

Tragic, for sure. I wonder why he didn't want to stick around to see his progeny born?

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

The Good die young and it sounds like he was exceptionally good to people...RIP dear-hunter

Two weeks ago we buried my nephew, Brad Smith. He broke his neck in a diving accident 23 years ago and was a quadriplegic. What hell he and his family has went through for the last 23 years is at best, mind numbing. His mother and sister devoted their lives to keeping him alive. True saints who will never get the credit they deserve on this earth. Who is to say, but the deer hunter may have made the right choice.

Tragic, for sure. I wonder why he didn't want to stick around to see his progeny born?

Maybe the pain of knowing he could never do anything for his son. Hold him, play with him, and support the son he brought into the world was more than he could bear. I am only guessing . What a tragic story...

Markle

Markle

I cannot vouch that this is true.

A deer hunter spent months locating just the right place in the woods to place his deer stand. He carefully located just the right tree and installed his stand weeks before hunting season so it would blend in and not appear new and scare off deer.

Before dawn on the first day of hunting season he got up and headed out to his prime hunting spot.

When he got to the stand, this is want he found.

Deer Hunter Falls from Tree/Breaks Neck--Elects to Die Rather Than Live Paralyzed TreeStand

Short hunting day!

Nekochan

Nekochan

So tragic.

Sal

Sal

Did they take him out of the woods tied to the hood of a pickup?

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Sal wrote:Did they take him out of the woods tied to the hood of a pickup?
You one of them bambi lovers ?..Ever eat a hamburger ?

Sal

Sal

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
You one of them bambi lovers ?..  

Not really.

I just find something humorous about rednecks sitting in trees all day, smeared with deer piss, drinking beer, and waiting for a deer to walk by so they can shoot it.

Deer 1
Redneck 0

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Here I found your song.....

Sal

Sal

A dude pontificating about manliness makes his point with ...

... a puppet show ...

... I swear to gawd, you can't make this shit up.

lol

I think he gave up too quickly... and may not have been mentally competent at the time.

PkrBum wrote:I think he gave up too quickly... and may not have been mentally competent at the time.
Good Point I agree

Nekochan

Nekochan

Sad, but true.  Why didn't the family give it a couple of weeks, anyway.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

About 15 years ago I was drinking at a birthday party which was happening around somebody's swimming pool.  As the party went on,  like a fool I dove into the pool with my clothes on.  But I didn't know I was diving into the shallow end of the pool.   I hit my head and it snapped and gave me a scare like I've never had before or since.  I was really really lucky that day.
All it takes is seconds to change your life forever.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Mr Ichi wrote:
PkrBum wrote:I think he gave up too quickly... and may not have been mentally competent at the time.
Good Point  I agree
My thoughts are, did he choose to die because he didn't want to be a burden to his family, or because he would never be able to hunt deer again?

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

That happened to a friend's daughter when she was 21. Drinking and dove in the shallow end. She is now in a nursing home paralyzed from the neck down.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:
Mr Ichi wrote:
Good Point  I agree
My thoughts are, did he choose to die because he didn't want to be a burden to his family, or because he would never be able to hunt deer again?
Not funny at all. If you have never had a close friend, friend or family member go through the trauma and life altering challenges of dealing with a loved one that is paralyzed I can understand your callous remark. Otherwise your comment was sick.

My sister is a paraplegic after a car accident twelve years ago. She has raised her two kids and cared for her husband that suffered a brain injury in the wreck. It's not easy... but she's tough and has a very fulfilling life. I don't begrudge the guy making his own decisions... I just don't think he could've fully known what his outcome was going to be. Even the doctors don't know what extent the paralysis may be. Some people even fully recover. The lady that shared a room in rehab w my sis did... they said she would never walk or have feeling in her legs... they were wrong.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

I don't understand this. Did his doctor give him no hope? Did he have other, more life-threatening injuries? Did he pull the plug when no one was looking? It seems he may have acted during a bout of depression. There are many more treatment options today than there once were, largely because of stem cell research, which almost ground to a halt during the Bush years.

I wonder if you can collect life insurance in that situation?

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

If pulling the plug kills you then the plug was all that kept you alive. So in that case he probably was too badly damaged to ever leave the plug. It would have cost a million dollars not to mention home care and the negative impact on his new bride. I think he made the right decision out of love for his family...besides he's a Christian and he had somewhere better to go.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Floridatexan wrote:
I don't understand this.  Did his doctor give him no hope?  Did he have other, more life-threatening injuries?  Did he pull the plug when no one was looking?  It seems he may have acted during a bout of depression.  There are many more treatment options today than there once were, largely because of stem cell research, which almost ground to a halt during the Bush years.  

If he was on a ventilator...there is no way he could actually pull the plug. Patients with high level C- spine fractures have no movement from the neck down and depending on the level many can not and will never be able to breathe on their own.

cool1

cool1

Joanimaroni wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:
I don't understand this.  Did his doctor give him no hope?  Did he have other, more life-threatening injuries?  Did he pull the plug when no one was looking?  It seems he may have acted during a bout of depression.  There are many more treatment options today than there once were, largely because of stem cell research, which almost ground to a halt during the Bush years.  

If he was on a ventilator...there is no way he could actually pull the plug. Patients with high level C- spine fractures have no movement from the neck down and depending on the level many can not  and will never be able to breathe on their own.

yep he made his own choice to die , I think also he didn't want to live that way , burden to family I guess.

QueenOfHearts

QueenOfHearts

Floridatexan wrote:
His C3, C4 and C5 vertebrae were crushed. He was not going to be able to ever breathe on his own. He was not going to be able to live at home; he'd have to live in nursing home. The most he'd be able to do was sit up, and that would be with a special board.

His injury could have been avoided if he had worn his safety belt while climbing the stand. Sad 

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum