Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Social Security isn't a right...

+2
Nekochan
TEOTWAWKI
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Social Security isn't a right... Empty Social Security isn't a right... 11/5/2013, 10:33 am

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

http://www.lewrockwell.com/2013/11/walter-e-williams/you-have-been-duped/
Decades after Americans had been duped into thinking that the money taken from them was theirs, the Social Security Administration belatedly — and very quietly — tried to clean up its history of deception. Its website explains, “Entitlement to Social Security benefits is not (a) contractual right.” It adds: “There has been a temptation throughout the program’s history for some people to suppose that their FICA payroll taxes entitle them to a benefit in a legal, contractual sense.

Social Security isn't a right... 9k=

Sounds to me like someone is attempting to 'revise' how the system works.

So I wonder when are they going to start denying payments to people that have wealth that allows them to live a lot more comfortably once they decide to opt to go on social security in their old age?

*****SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diOuUYcenW0

Smile 

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

That will be soon considering the vast number of boomers retiring.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Means testing...yes, I think it's coming.  If you saved a little nest egg for retirement...then you don't "need" Social Security.

Sal

Sal

Nekochan wrote:Means testing...yes, I think it's coming.

That would be great.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Government of man knows only evil, and all who support it will suffer it's greed, hate, immorality, and parasitism unto death.

Sal wrote:

That would be great.
Social Security isn't a right... Z

Great! We'll start with all the people on SSDI to determine if they have the 'means' of pushing a broom or washing dishes... and denying them SSDI if they can.

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZZD8ckwLJA

Very Happy

Last edited by Damaged Eagle on 11/5/2013, 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total

ImpishScoundrel

ImpishScoundrel

Shoot, there are so many things people believe to be a constitutional Right that aren't.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Sal wrote:

That would be great.
Then it becomes welfare.

Sal

Sal

Also, remove the cap.

Thanks.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

William Strauss and Niel Howe wrote a 1997 book, The Fourth Turning, about the generational flow of events in societies. The authors were historians who wrote about the evidence of generational patterns, and how societies, including American society go through 80 year cycles. The fourth portion of each cycle is usually cataclysmic, as it has been for us. Each of those cycles in our society brought us the Revolutionary war, the Civil War, the Great Depression and WWII, and a decade or so after they wrote their book, the Great Recession and a major war that is yet to come.

Strauss and Howe had interesting things to say about Boomers and Social Security.

“…Not far into the Fourth Turning, today's long-term projections for Social Security, Medicare, and other elder benefits programs will lie in history's dust bin. The economy will not keep growing as smoothly as the actuaries now assume—and critical events will force the government to reshuffle all its spending priorities. At that point, no one will be entitled to anything; those in need will merely be authorized something. Public figures should alert today's working Americans to their vulnerability…”

“…For Boomers, Social Security will be the object of fatalism and sarcasm. Some will get it, and some won't. The typical Boomer will live on bits and pieces of SEP-IRAs, Keoghs, 401Ks, federal benefits, and assorted corporate pension scraps that will vary enormously from person to person. For many, this will add up to a lot; for many others, nearly nothing. When the market hits bottom, millions of Boomers will find themselves at the brink of old age with far smaller nest eggs than they ever expected. They will immediately have to make do with steeply diminished material consumption…”

Howe, Neil; Strauss, William (2009-01-16). The Fourth Turning (Kindle Locations 6082-6086). Random House, Inc.

The authors very pointedly say that the Silent Generation, those born from 1924-1942 is the last generation to receive full Social Security.

We Boomers should be under no illusions about any of this. The Social Security Trust Fund is made up of worthless treasury bonds that must be funded by future borrowing. There seems to be no political will to try and address fixes to the system. It is ripe for collapse. The Millennial Generation is not going to shoulder the burden of the current system voluntarily, knowing they are not going to get the same benefits as their parents. They are going to be voting against their parents' interests enmass.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

2seaoat

Social Security is a simple insurance pool. Actuarial tables must be modified every twenty years to reflect reality and adjust projections. Ronald Reagan and Tip O'Neil correctly adjusted the same in the early 80s by increasing contributions. We need another adjustment in the next twenty years. Our social security system is fine, and even if nothing is done between now and 2035 that insurance pool could pay out 75% of the benefits to people in perpetuity.

So those folks with an agenda to destroy this nation have created this zero sum game of total collapse or unreasonably high funding goals to square the actuarial tables. None of this is necessary. I have had years where my business has done well and I have taken a salary where my contribution to social security was capped at a certain amount. It has been as low as 57k thirty years ago, and as high as 106k, but the current level of that cap is 113k. The simple act of raising the cap to 250k before exemption from contribution would fully fund the social security insurance pool in perpetuity, or until the next adjustment to those actuarial tables, but the projections indicate that after 2030 the babyboomers are going to be dying in great numbers and it is argued that rates of contribution thereafter may actually be less.

Politics should debate the parameters of contribution to an insurance pool. Hate groups and Nazis must attack the very legitimacy of those insurance pools creating the opinion that government has stolen people's money or squandered the same. This is a key element in destruction of democracy which paves the wave for hate and prejudice to prevail. These threads are not random. They are not by accident, and all across America the hate groups pour their poison.

Now Medicare and Medicaid programs are in real trouble as opposed to Social Security, and there are political debate as to solutions, but the reality remains that those programs face significant coverage reductions or greater tax revenues directed to the same. Again, not a zero sum game, but a political debate as to budget priorities.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum