Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

I have been to a Social Security office only twice in my life

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

2seaoat

At 15 getting a work permit and a social security number, and today filing for my early retirement benefits starting in January. In January 2012, I thought I had less than 6 months to live. In three months it will be two years. I remember my friend and I getting our work permits. We worked as busboy/dishwashers at the country club. It was an exciting time in life because in the evenings on weekends they had a disco and the hottest women for fifty miles around would come there and strut their stuff......very heady experience for a 15 year old boy at 1 am to be watching the behavior of girls intoxicated who are only a few years older.....many a night walking across the golf course home, I would find the grounds being utilized by those same girls........sadly my friend died in a VW bug accident three years later, and today I have thought about how spectacular and uncertain life is. He was a good friend.....and he was simply gone overnight in the prime of his youth, and here I am struggling with terminal illness and I have never been happier in my life, and certainly did not expect to be alive today. So the time between my visits to the Social Security office were like a blink of the eye, but there is one thing for certain..........I take nothing for granted and feel blessed for every moment.

I take nothing for granted and feel blessed for every moment.

Ya got it!!! Me too........................

2seaoat

I had been working since I was thirteen. I would caddy and I would shag balls for the pro when he would give lessons. I have told this story before, but back then I would take a bowling ball bag full of golf balls and dump them on the ground where the pro would instruct a student. I would field the balls(shag) and put them in the bowling bag and then return the bag to the pro. I was paid by the student. The women always gave me good tips. The men were usually cheap, but it was just the opposite when I would caddy. Men would show off to their peers on how much they would tip the caddy, and women would chat among themselves and give really low dollars.

It was a big promotion when I was asked to become a bus boy. I started at one dollar an hour, and although under my work permit my hours were restricted, I worked 60 hours a week. I was as strong as a bull and could carry two cases of beer from the downstairs coolers to restock the various bars all day long, and I did double the work of others. After three months I boldly walked in and asked the owner for a raise, and he gave it to me immediately.....I remember my friend and others trying the same thing and he said no. A $1.25 an hour when you were working 60 hours a week was like a gold mine for a kid in the summer of 1967. I remember looking at the deductions on my paycheck. I wondered what life had before me and if I would ever collect social security. Time flies when you are having fun.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Actually, Seaoat, you probably could have gotten SSDI as soon as you were diagnosed with cancer. RetiredLeo had said he was approved for SSDI immediately after he was dxd with colon cancer, because it was considered a terminal disease.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

2seaoat

I still make too much for disability which would restrict my work. I am only working 20% of my hours, but that income far exceeds what I would get paid in disability. With early retirement, my wife will draw a check out of the business like she always has, and my check will be smaller. I will have a stream of unearned income off leases from the business which are not considered income for social security.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum