Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wernicke: Health care at the end of a fork

4 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

PNJ

The burgeoning field of food and nutrition as scientific subjects has produced a burst of science-based diets aimed at enhancing human health. It has also reinforced the status of those who have long argued that our most effective health care is found on our dinner plates, not in a doctor’s office.

This has stood much perceived food wisdom on its head, and produced a growing body of evidence pointing to carbohydrates – long considered to be the basis for a healthy diet – as the culprit in weight gain and corresponding ill-health effects. This has sparked a trend of low-carb diets.

On the leading edge of this effort is Jeff Volek, a registered dietitian and full professor in the department of kinesiology at the University of Connecticut. On Thursday he will talk about his research at an evening lecture at the Institute for Human and Machine Cognition. His talk: “The Many Facets of Keto-adaptation: Health, Performance and Beyond.”

Keto-adaptation is a unique metabolic state that has been shown to have widespread and profound therapeutic and performance-enhancing effects ranging from reversing type 2 diabetes to shrinking tumors to allowing ultra-endurance runners to set course records.

This state is achieved, through diet, by accelerating the body’s ability to access and burn body fat by restricting dietary carbohydrates, while increasing fat intake, for a period of several weeks. Fatty acids and ketones become the primary fuel at rest and during submaximal exercise, a more efficient and healthier way of fueling the body.

This shifts the body out of a damaging condition, obesity, in which calories continue to be stored as fat, leading to weight gain and other unhealthy effects.

Volek has both a master’s and a Ph.D. in exercise physiology and nutrition. He leads a research team that explores the physiologic impact of various dietary and exercise regimens and nutritional supplements. According to his biography on Amazon.com, he has conducted “some of the seminal scientific work” on supplements such as creatine, carnitine, caffeine and whey protein.

One of the problems people have with following a carbohydrate-restricted (ketotic) diet is how to do it. Volek has co-authored several books explaining how it works, for both general health and athletic performance. They include “The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living: An Expert Guide to Making the Life-Saving Benefits of Carbohydrate Restriction Sustainable and Enjoyable,” and “The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance,” both co-written with Dr. Stephen Phinney, a medical doctor and Ph.D

Mr Ichi wrote:PNJ

The burgeoning field of food and nutrition as scientific subjects has produced a burst of science-based diets aimed at enhancing human health. It has also reinforced the status of those who have long argued that our most effective health care is found on our dinner plates, not in a doctor’s office.

This has stood much perceived food wisdom on its head, and produced a growing body of evidence pointing to carbohydrates – long considered to be the basis for a healthy diet – as the culprit in weight gain and corresponding ill-health effects. This has sparked a trend of low-carb diets.

On the leading edge of this effort is Jeff Volek, a registered dietitian and full professor in the department of kinesiology at the University of Connecticut. On Thursday he will talk about his research at an evening lecture at the Institute for Human and Machine Cognition. His talk: “The Many Facets of Keto-adaptation: Health, Performance and Beyond.”

Keto-adaptation is a unique metabolic state that has been shown to have widespread and profound therapeutic and performance-enhancing effects ranging from reversing type 2 diabetes to shrinking tumors to allowing ultra-endurance runners to set course records.

This state is achieved, through diet, by accelerating the body’s ability to access and burn body fat by restricting dietary carbohydrates, while increasing fat intake, for a period of several weeks. Fatty acids and ketones become the primary fuel at rest and during submaximal exercise, a more efficient and healthier way of fueling the body.

This shifts the body out of a damaging condition, obesity, in which calories continue to be stored as fat, leading to weight gain and other unhealthy effects.

Volek has both a master’s and a Ph.D. in exercise physiology and nutrition. He leads a research team that explores the physiologic impact of various dietary and exercise regimens and nutritional supplements. According to his biography on Amazon.com, he has conducted “some of the seminal scientific work” on supplements such as creatine, carnitine, caffeine and whey protein.

One of the problems people have with following a carbohydrate-restricted (ketotic) diet is how to do it. Volek has co-authored several books explaining how it works, for both general health and athletic performance. They include “The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living: An Expert Guide to Making the Life-Saving Benefits of Carbohydrate Restriction Sustainable and Enjoyable,” and “The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance,” both co-written with Dr. Stephen Phinney, a medical doctor and Ph.D
Don't forget the important part of this... Exercise.

Don't forget the important part of this... Exercise.

Good point Thanks

Mr Ichi wrote:Don't forget the important part of this... Exercise.

Good point  Thanks
No problem. I know you are an avid exerciser. However most people fall into the trap of thinking they can either just diet by way of the food they eat or take a pill. Neither of which really work. Its great to eat healthy food, its also very expensive to eat healthy non processed foods. But without exercise, most likely nothing will work.

That's one of the biggest problems we have in this country is so many people spend so much time on social media they are not being active.

The wealthier people can afford to have fat removed by way of different easy and costly methods these days. Non surgical. Most can not afford this and have to do it the hard way.

speaking of those non surgical methods, one of which I am about to gift myself next year is cool sculpting. But even with that, you still need to eat right and exercise.

exercise has always been the one and only real answer to being healthy. And I say healthy, not just being thin.

2seaoat

The adkins diet.....or variations therein......been there and done that.......without an exception the 12 people who were on the diet and lost over 10% of body weight over six months developed kidney stones.....all 12, but perhaps the diet has advanced, but I can go a week limiting my carbs and drop weight, but what is the long term damage to the body following adkins like carb reductions......what is the link to cancer.......four of those who did that same diet, now have cancer.......diet is not as simple as the newest fad.......science has no consensus, and even the balanced diet we were taught as children.....the wheel.....has been modified because of uncertainty.......so I am glad some folks have diet figured out.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Chrissy wrote:

Good point  Thanks
No problem. I know you are an avid exerciser. However most people fall into the trap of thinking they can either just diet by way of the food they eat or take a pill. Neither of which really work. Its great to eat healthy food, its also very expensive to eat healthy non processed foods. But without exercise, most likely nothing will work.

That's one of the biggest problems we have in this country is so many people spend so much time on social media they are not being active.

The wealthier people can afford to have fat removed by way of different easy and costly methods these days. Non surgical. Most can not afford this and have to do it the hard way.

speaking of those non surgical methods, one of which I am about to gift myself next year is cool sculpting. But even with that, you still need to eat right and exercise.

exercise has always been the one and only real answer to being healthy. And I say healthy, not just being thin.
Sugar is the devil Chrissy. I have been on a reduced calorie low carb diet most of my life and I dare say I can out run and out work most young people. One of the problems with low carb eating is water, people don't get hungry on it and it confuses their thirst mechanism so they don't drink enough to keep the impurities flushed from their system. Water really is key to staying healthy. I drink a lot of pure distilled water because it pulls inorganic minerals and flushes the system. After all we are mostly water and the cleanest water you can ingest is the best.

2seaoat

Children whistling in the dark......afraid of their ultimate demise.......thinking that they can control their lives by diet, pill, or philosophy.......abandoning christian principle, substituting the same for blood and soil idelogy of nazi purity where whipped cream is seen as a jewish conspiracy to impact the purity of the movement and body........scared children who have no faith or purpose.....searching.....spewing nonsense........unable to grasp the limited time they have, or rationalize what they have done with their lives....they need light in their lives......but that comes from within.....not at the end of a fork, not from a sense of superiority, nor from the next best solution.......children must be children.

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
Chrissy wrote:

Good point  Thanks

Sugar is the devil Chrissy. I have been on a reduced calorie low carb diet most of my life and I dare say I can out run and out work most young people. One of the problems with low carb eating is water, people don't get hungry on it and it confuses their thirst mechanism so they don't drink enough to keep the impurities flushed from their system. Water really is key to staying healthy. I drink a lot of pure distilled water because it pulls inorganic minerals and flushes the system. After all we are mostly water and the cleanest water you can ingest is the best.
true, I suppose sugar is bad. but carbs come in non sweet forms as you know. Im drinking one now. lol

I drink water all day at work and every morning I eat raw organic carrots for breakfast. I actually love it.

But none of this will work to perfection for me as I lack the effort to put in the exercise and I have health issues as many women my age do. so ive decided to freeze my fat off lol

what I have been trying to say? there is no such thing as a diet. all there is is eating healthy non processed foods which are expensive and exercising. that's all there ever has been and ever will be.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Well yes starches are also not good for us. I like bread and of course I reduce that unless I am celebrating with my kids or friends. The body can take a lot of abuse and repair itself but we over load on excitotoxins and junk and after a while it gives up...

TEOTWAWKI wrote:Well yes starches are also not good for us. I like bread and of course I reduce that unless I am celebrating with my kids or friends. The body can take a lot of abuse and repair itself but we over load on excitotoxins and junk and after a while it gives up...
This is true.

Let me go not off subject but into a different direction because this is something that people over look when they are talking about getting fat/over weight etc or however you want to put it.

The combination of over use of modified sugars, lack of exercise and stress is the over all problem with most peoples health issues. I say stress because stress forces the body to produce cortisol.

So, a unhappy over stressed country where the majority of people lack exercise and eat processed modified sugars is going to result in what?

exactly what we are seeing. an highly obese population. I suspect that only a few will escape the matrix alive and well.

2seaoat

I suspect that only a few will escape the matrix alive and well.

Wrong answer.....with all this sophistry, no one will survive, and all your simple answers will lead to only one conclusion......death. Enjoy the quality of your life and leave children's fantasies where they belong.....in fairy tales.

2seaoat wrote:I suspect that only a few will escape the matrix alive and well.

Wrong answer.....with all this sophistry, no one will survive, and all your simple answers will lead to only one conclusion......death.   Enjoy the quality of your life and leave children's fantasies where they belong.....in fairy tales.
always jumping to the end of the line arnt cha....

some will solve the equation and live a more fulfilling life than others.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Well exercise and eating right makes your life better while you are here. My grandson stays on me about exercising and he thinks I will slack off when I am away from him so I took a picture at the hotel to prove I was staying with it...

Last edited by TEOTWAWKI on 11/2/2013, 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

TEOTWAWKI wrote:Well exercise and eating right makes your life better while you are here. My grandson stays on me about exercising and he thinks I will slack off when I am away from him so I took a picture at the hotel to prove I was staying with it...

Lookin good.......Cool

Last edited by Chrissy on 11/2/2013, 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Ok for 65 Do me a favor and erase that picture before they start putting swastikas on it ...

knothead

knothead

TEOTWAWKI wrote:Ok for 65  Do me a favor and erase that picture before they start putting swastikas on it ...
Hell T, you even LOOK like a kraut!!!

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

knothead wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:Ok for 65  Do me a favor and erase that picture before they start putting swastikas on it ...
Well my relatives were German...so..well...yeah. My name translates to blood letter in German

knothead

knothead

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
knothead wrote:
Well my relatives were German...so..well...yeah.  My name translates to  blood letter in German
Cool . . . . I am German-Irish (mostly). Who the heck knows or cares? lol

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

knothead wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:
knothead wrote:
Well my relatives were German...so..well...yeah.  My name translates to  blood letter in German
Cool . . . . I am German-Irish (mostly). Who the heck knows or cares? lol
exactly... Americans are all mutts for the most part.

Hey, you can be my sugar daddy. Razz 

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
knothead wrote:
im german/indian..

get my brains from the germans and my body and bad habits from the Indians LOL

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Chrissy wrote:
Hey, you can be my sugar daddy. Razz 
Naw sugar is bad . I do think you might enjoy it too much.Twisted Evil 

Last edited by TEOTWAWKI on 11/2/2013, 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

Teo is spot on about  water.  When I ride, I have a rule of them to drink one bottle of water (24 oz) every hour.  I really play the price if I dont. Severe leg cramps and other aliments are sure to follow if I dont.   Not just me, stanard cycling protocol.  I test my body a lot.  I can feel the effects when I dont eat properly.  Listen to your body.  It will tell you what you need if you listen. Water, Clean food and common sense works. I use Agave or Honey instead of sugar. I really like Agave, might not be good for everyone but it works for me

Last edited by Mr Ichi on 11/2/2013, 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Mr Ichi wrote:Teo is spot on about  water.  When I ride, I have a rule of them to drink one bottle of water (24 oz) every hour.  I really play the price if I dont. Severe leg cramps and other aliments are sure to follow if I dont.   Not just me, stanard cycling protocol.  I test my body a lot.  I can feel the effects when I dont ear properly.  Listen to your body.  It will tell you what you need if you listen. Water, Clean food and common sense works.
This is a man that walks the walk and knows what he speaks of...listen up !

2seaoat

your elaborate plans are child's play......as you sit in a wheel chair in the halls of a nursing home at 90 will your choices be a bit better than morrison's........

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum